Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how the is conley a max player?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone posted that after Tim and Manu opt out and Diaw cut, the Spurs will have ~$20 million in cap space. Have to account for cap holds on open roster spots. Durant's max will be around $25-26 million. Moving Mills and Anderson might just barely not be enough.
    Anderson is barely above min level salary. As you said his caphold will still be there that's why the narrative is that they would need to move Danny. If you consider that Danny can net a lottery level pick, then the whole idea starts to make more sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Conley, but not paying the max, however it seems that KD stay in okc or go to gsw, FO will need to do some magic to stay compe ive if it happens
    I like to entertain this ideas as much as anyone but I really doubt he joins us... like really really doubt it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how the is conley a max player?

^ Because so many teams have money and there is a pretty high cap floor. Supply and demand this year. He is the top 5 unrestricted free agent, behind Durant, Horford, DeRozen, Whiteside. All will get a max or damn close too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only 3m of Diaw's 6.5m is guaranteed. I may be wrong, but I think if they buy him out and stretch the 3m for 5 years, the cap hit will be very small.
    Yeah, $600k each of 5 years. Not bad, so means less will have to be given up to trade him (can always stretch so not as punitive)

PRESSURE MAKES DIAMONDS
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy , both of them???

Do it Spurs!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like a good fit.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Liked this idea originally. Now I've soured. I think the Spurs go young at PG and develop. But hey, if they get Conley, it's definitely a win now move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No more old chaps.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeff Teague is no longer an option at point, he just got moved to Indiana in a 3-way deal, with George Hill going to Utah.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's glass and his game will probably age poorly, tbh..not worth a long-term deal, it would probably cement the Spurs as a pretender, going forward..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are a pretender regardless unless Durant miraculously signs.

While other respected posters on the board might disagree, I think Conley is a massive upgrade over the current starting PG.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ Of course he's an upgrade over current Parker

I think they have to start considering the future, though, which is why I wouldn't blow max money on a long-term deal to a 28-year old who might already be on the decline..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ Of course he's an upgrade over current Parker

I think they have to start considering the future, though, which is why I wouldn't blow max money on a long-term deal to a 28-year old who might already be on the decline..
    So you suggest waiting and let Aldridge age more ? Aldridge has 3 years left in the tank before a sharp decline

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you suggest waiting and let Aldridge age more ? Aldridge has 3 years left in the tank before a sharp decline
    Aldridge is a stop gap.. an expensive shiny one but a stop gap. The team should be constructed around prime Leonard which is 3 years away in theory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are not that far! When you have a core of LMA/Kawhi/Danny Green, you should absolutely try to win now. That doesn't mean you can't get younger and keep an eye on the future, but that is an elite core and you have to at least try to win now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tyler Ulis will be better than Conley so why pay the max to an aging PG when the Spurs could draft someone just as good on a rookie deal?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Waiting an extra year for a star that moves the needle is better than blowing it all on Mike Conley, especially since he isn't good enough to elevate the Spurs to a different level IMO(if he's even healthy in the playoffs)..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge is a stop gap.. an expensive shiny one but a stop gap. The team should be constructed around prime Leonard which is 3 years away in theory.
    Good way to put the situation.
    Obviously things could change if this team alters, gels and pulls something special off with him, but that's going to the local 7-11 and buying some scratch off tickets for the big bucks odds there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tyler Ulis will be better than Conley so why pay the max to an aging PG when the Spurs could draft someone just as good on a rookie deal?
    Tiny Tyler will be better than Conley?
    You don't even watch college ball, ass.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Waiting an extra year for a star that moves the needle is better than blowing it all on Mike Conley, especially since he isn't good enough to elevate the Spurs to a different level IMO(if he's even healthy in the playoffs)..
    Interesting... So in your opinion, which star in free agency do you suppose moves the needle for the Spurs in 2017? Westbrook, Curry and James aren't signing here so let's not even go there .

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2017/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting... So in your opinion, which star in free agency do you suppose moves the needle for the Spurs in 2017? Westbrook, Curry and James aren't signing here so let's not even go there .

Good question..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Haven't looked at the FA list, it doesn't make a difference, though IMO..keeping your options and flexibility open for trades and potential unexpected FAs is much more prudent and logical than blowing a long-term max deal on an aging, declining top 10 PG..

Also, using the cap space on multiple mid-tier players to fill holes would be a much smarter move than signing Conley, too(especially since Parker isn't going anywhere for 2 years)..

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't looked at the FA list, it doesn't make a difference, though IMO..keeping your options and flexibility open for trades and potential unexpected FAs is much more prudent and logical than blowing a long-term max deal on an aging, declining top 10 PG..

Also, using the cap space on multiple mid-tier players to fill holes would be a much smarter move than signing Conley, too(especially since Parker isn't going anywhere for 2 years)..
    Two Years? So now you're coaching.. Parker is a long term option here..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nice job of answering without answering.. Broad strokes.. Keep it general..
    I applaud..

Thread Information