Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like the London market has come roaring back.

Mostly expected (to me at least). Real damage to Britain, if any, will be long-term and take a while to play out. Short-term indicators like stocks will take a while to fully digest that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that any different from those who vote for someone because he's black or because she's a woman? Most voters are not knowledgeable on the issues - I'm as guilty as most - this is the first election cycle that I've paid any notice to - was just too busy raising kids and living life - I must say politics is fascinating (and so dirty). But in the end, even with much more knowledge, I'm still going to vote the same way. People are always going to vote their self-interest.

No one knows what will happen - it's early days yet - it might turn out to be better in the long run. But I totally understand the feeling the common Brit has of taking back their country and iden y. I've visited Europe twice - before kids - and I doubt that the Europe that I saw and has been for so long is what it is today in just a couple decades.
    People will vote for what they *think* is their self-interest.

Human decision making is flawed, and prone to irrational conclusions all the time.
    http://freakonomics.com/

What if someone has been habitually lied to about what is actually in their self-interest and believes that lie to be true?

The conservatives in the Leave movement lied through their teeth. The conservatives in Kansas have lied through their teeth about the efficacy of supply-side economics, to cover their own asses, when that policy failure blows up their faces.

The problem with making decisions, is that there is a very concerted propaganda machine, fueled in no small part by self-styled conservatives such as Rupert Murdoch, who not only have an active motive to lie, they have a profit motive to make those lies as sensational as possible for money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://freakonomics.com/podcast/113127/
    Why do we read the news.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the bolded is true, and you put "only" in that sentence, we are screwed IMO.

I would gladly pay more in taxes for public education if I thought it would really help our country's young people identify impulsive, narcissistic, fear-mongering, xenophobic, hateful, selfish, tunneled vision leaders and citizens.

Taking back the country... They now have less control over their destiny. No doubt in my mind. They just cut out their bargaining power. But they can keep their country whiter and poorer. There are many poor white Eastern European countries that admire them. Good show!
    And what should these young people do about other impulsive, narcissistic, fear-mongering, xenophobic, hateful, selfish, tunneled vision CITIZENS? Identify/single them out? Target them? Change their minds? How? Who determines what is impulsive, selfish, hateful, tunnel vision thought? They have as much right to be the way they are as anyone else as long as they aren't breaking the law. If you're going to judge on thoughts/feelings without actions, we would all be in jail. I'll remind you that a lot of tunnel vision people (e.g. Asperger's people) have made great advances for the good of this world partly BECAUSE they are tunnel visioned. Just because you think that tunnel vision is bad does not necessarily make it so.

I don't agree with paying more taxes for public education - they already spend more per student than just about any other country with worse results and what for - to pay teachers' and administrators' sky rocketing healthcare costs and pensions. Part of why I homeschooled my children is because I don't want the public schools indoctrinating them in what they think is x, x, x, x thought/behavior. Teachers/administrators might think that liberal/progressive thought is just fine and dandy, but I don't.

As far as the UK is concerned, no one knows how it will work out. But if I'm a betting person, I'd put my money on Switzerland, Norway and the UK instead of Germany and France carrying the weight for the rest of Europe. Whatever happens, they have a right to decide their direction and they'll live with the consequences. I think, in the end, they'll be better for it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People will vote for what they *think* is their self-interest.

Human decision making is flawed, and prone to irrational conclusions all the time.
    http://freakonomics.com/

What if someone has been habitually lied to about what is actually in their self-interest and believes that lie to be true?

The conservatives in the Leave movement lied through their teeth. The conservatives in Kansas have lied through their teeth about the efficacy of supply-side economics, to cover their own asses, when that policy failure blows up their faces.

The problem with making decisions, is that there is a very concerted propaganda machine, fueled in no small part by self-styled conservatives such as Rupert Murdoch, who not only have an active motive to lie, they have a profit motive to make those lies as sensational as possible for money.
    I could turn the same argument around where Obamacare is concerned. Obama lied about it - keep your plan/doctor, $2500, etc. Unless one is getting a subsidy, this law sucks - higher premiums, higher deductibles, higher copays, smaller networks, inability to just buy only what YOU want or need (not what you govt says you need).

So where does that leave us when both sides lie? I guess you just listen to both sides and make up your own mind.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And what should these young people do about other impulsive, narcissistic, fear-mongering, xenophobic, hateful, selfish, tunneled vision CITIZENS? Identify/single them out? Target them? Change their minds? How? Who determines what is impulsive, selfish, hateful, tunnel vision thought? They have as much right to be the way they are as anyone else as long as they aren't breaking the law. If you're going to judge on thoughts/feelings without actions, we would all be in jail. I'll remind you that a lot of tunnel vision people (e.g. Asperger's people) have made great advances for the good of this world partly BECAUSE they are tunnel visioned. Just because you think that tunnel vision is bad does not necessarily make it so.

I don't agree with paying more taxes for public education - they already spend more per student than just about any other country with worse results and what for - to pay teachers' and administrators' sky rocketing healthcare costs and pensions. Part of why I homeschooled my children is because I don't want the public schools indoctrinating them in what they think is x, x, x, x thought/behavior. Teachers/administrators might think that liberal/progressive thought is just fine and dandy, but I don't.

As far as the UK is concerned, no one knows how it will work out. But if I'm a betting person, I'd put my money on Switzerland, Norway and the UK instead of Germany and France carrying the weight for the rest of Europe. Whatever happens, they have a right to decide their direction and they'll live with the consequences. I think, in the end, they'll be better for it.

Nope it's up to them what to do.

Just know what they are. If you don't know what the words mean then try the word liar for something more simplistic I guess.

Do you think it is important to be able to recognize people who are habitual liars? I think it is. What you do or how you interact with the habitual liar is up to you. In court it's probably going to be different than in a bar.

Norway and the Swiss have terribly small economies compared to France and Germany. It's much easier to control smaller less diverse economies.

If you think your children are prone to indoctrination then definitely pick a private school that teaches the views that indoctrinate them into what is taught at your home. Binary questions with binary answers are the way to go I am guessing. I think you said they were gifted. That's too bad. They probably are going to get bored. And don't dare let them take AP History in high school, you might expose them to information and ways of thinking you will regret. AP Government as well.

Jeez.... Possibly no AP Biology or Physics. Chemistry is probably less of a threat for their indoctrination.

Late edit:

Sorry Randomfella, I just noticed you used liar as an example. Totally did not read it just thought that lying v. Telling the truth would be easier.

You actually used it in a much more complicated interesting example. And yep I read that book.
    Last edited by pgardn; 06-29-2016 at 03:13 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the UK voted again right now STAY would win. Im almost sure of it.

Just heard an interview with a LEAVE MP in the UK with an Indian last name and he said immigration was a big issue. He explained that it is much harder for nonEU individuals to enter the UK and this was not fair. The shocked interviewer said she thought most of the LEAVE voters wanted LESS immigration. He said no, they just wanted it fair so that anyone, regardless of their EU status, would be free to enter and leave the country for work.

Holy ...

Then asked why the LEAVE leaders did not have a plan he explained that neither did the STAY leaders. The shocked interviewer said the STAY leaders did have a plan based on, now get this STAYING. He then stated they should have had a plan for LEAVE. She then asked was it not clear the LEAVE Leaders should have a LEAVE plan.

I kid you not. This is so damn sad its funny.

"Ok son, take the wheel."
    "What's a wheel daddy?"
    Bang...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope it's up to them what to do.

Just know what they are. If you don't know what the words mean then try the word liar for something more simplistic I guess.

Do you think it is important to be able to recognize people who are habitual liars? I think it is. What you do or how you interact with the habitual liar is up to you. In court it's probably going to be different than in a bar.

Norway and the Swiss have terribly small economies compared to France and Germany. It's much easier to control smaller less diverse economies.

If you think your children are prone to indoctrination then definitely pick a private school that teaches the views that indoctrinate them into what is taught at your home. Binary questions with binary answers are the way to go I am guessing. I think you said they were gifted. That's too bad. They probably are going to get bored. And don't dare let them take AP History in high school, you might expose them to information and ways of thinking you will regret. AP Government as well.
    Habitual liars - you mean like Hillary (emails) and Obama (Obamacare, immigration)?

Haha - too late - 2 of them have already taken AP US History and one AP Govt. No worries for me regarding exposing them to information and different ways of thinking - my kids are well grounded in our faith and beliefs. What disturbs me is that because of the society we live in they hide what it is they believe. For instance, my son's AP US History teacher (who is a conservative) asked him who he's gonna vote for Cruz or Trump and my son answered, "Why not Hillary or Bernie?" and the teacher said, "Because you're conservative." My son's answer was whoever wins the Republican nomination. Now, this to me is a slippery slope - that he is afraid/reluctant/whatever to declare his beliefs because he is among mostly Democrat-leaning kids. But, I admit that I, too, am falling prey to this "silent censorship". I am obviously a Trump supporter and plan to campaign for him, but will I put a Trump 2016 sign in my front yard or on my car? Do I want to run the risk of my house/car being vandalized? Regardless of which side you're on, we live in America and we should not have to be worried about which political party we belong to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Habitual liars - you mean like Hillary (emails) and Obama (Obamacare, immigration)?

Haha - too late - 2 of them have already taken AP US History and one AP Govt. No worries for me regarding exposing them to information and different ways of thinking - my kids are well grounded in our faith and beliefs. What disturbs me is that because of the society we live in they hide what it is they believe. For instance, my son's AP US History teacher (who is a conservative) asked him who he's gonna vote for Cruz or Trump and my son answered, "Why not Hillary or Bernie?" and the teacher said, "Because you're conservative." My son's answer was whoever wins the Republican nomination. Now, this to me is a slippery slope - that he is afraid/reluctant/whatever to declare his beliefs because he is among mostly Democrat-leaning kids. But, I admit that I, too, am falling prey to this "silent censorship". I am obviously a Trump supporter and plan to campaign for him, but will I put a Trump 2016 sign in my front yard or on my car? Do I want to run the risk of my house/car being vandalized? Regardless of which side you're on, we live in America and we should not have to be worried about which political party we belong to.
    Oh absolutely yes. I would put Hillary ahead of Obama.

So your decision is to vote for Trump. As he would be less likely to lie. Yikes.

So private schools can't totally protect your kids either, but they are prepared. I know of a private school in San Antonio where your son would be in the vast majority. Damn.

So no Biology, no fear they might get a whiff of evolution?

I am not a party guy.

Personally I find it absolutely disgusting people would act violently towards a person or property because of a candidate. I will say I did find it amusing that my neighbor with the one Trump sign took it down after Trumps railing on the judge in Indiana. The neighbor is Hispanic. He did leave his Hillary to jail sign up though. The only other sign up in my thriving neighborhood now is one old Bernie sign. Last election it was full of Romney and Obama signs. It's absolutely amazing how awful people here appear to feel about either choice.

I would be very careful if I were you about helping Trump by going door to door. I would not do that. Hillary either. People are angry and just weird.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But, I admit that I, too, am falling prey to this "silent censorship". I am obviously a Trump supporter and plan to campaign for him, but will I put a Trump 2016 sign in my front yard or on my car? Do I want to run the risk of my house/car being vandalized? Regardless of which side you're on, we live in America and we should not have to be worried about which political party we belong to.
    Maybe if the Republican's Party's current face wasn't symbolic of the absolute lowest common denominator when it comes to politics, I'd agree that people shouldn't judge you for your beliefs.

It's one thing to vote Republican because you're a Republican, or even because you want to keep Hillary out, but to be enthusiastically behind Donald Trump and really feel that he embodies President of the United States? Probably best to keep that to yourself.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh absolutely yes. I would put Hillary ahead of Obama.

So your decision is to vote for Trump. As he would be less likely to lie. Yikes.

So private schools can't totally protect your kids either, but they are prepared. I know of a private school in San Antonio where your son would be in the vast majority. Damn.

So no Biology, no fear they might get a whiff of evolution?

I am not a party guy.

Personally I find it absolutely disgusting people would act violently towards a person or property because of a candidate. I will say I did find it amusing that my neighbor with the one Trump sign took it down after Trumps railing on the judge in Indiana. The neighbor is Hispanic. He did leave his Hillary to jail sign up though. The only other sign up in my thriving neighborhood now is one old Bernie sign. Last election it was full of Romney and Obama signs. It's absolutely amazing how awful people here appear to feel about either choice.

I would be very careful if I were you about helping Trump by going door to door. I would not do that. Hillary either. People are angry and just weird.
    I'm not voting for Trump because he's less likely than Hillary to lie. I'm voting for him because he is more likely to shake up our corrupt government and is (well, up until now) self-funded and not controlled by any donor, Wall Street, etc. You can see it in that he is having trouble getting donors and why should they give him money when his intention is to go to Washington and upset their gravy train? Some of them are defecting and running to Hillary because she will continue the same corruption, status quo that they have going on there. He doesn't have to do this - he could retire and play golf - he's not concerned about any political future or money (he's taking a big hit funding his campaign). He's a businessman and I think more capable than an attorney to bring back the jobs and economy - which to me are the most important issues. You can see it in, for instance, the transgender issue - his first stance (thinking of the cost) was use whatever bathroom you want but don't force businesses to have to make new ones - that would be incredibly expensive. Hillary will also continue Obamacare which I hate.

Nope, both took AP Biology - no problem. I don't need to protect them because their foundation is strong. Sorry about the tunnel vision thing - I'm a bit sensitive as my son has mild Asperger's - frustrating at times but what is seen as negative is sometimes positive - super-focused, passionate and obsessive about his interests, single-minded, etc.

Won't be going door to door - probably manning phones or paper/office work.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeez.... Possibly no AP Biology or Physics. Chemistry is probably less of a threat for their indoctrination.
    Nope, took all of them - nothing wrong with my kids' science education - one's at Google interning and the other heading toward engineering. You see my home as indoctrination while I see it as freedom to read widely and discuss openly. Funny how I see public school as lacking in those areas with its political correctness and have you seen the PC books on reading lists these days - whatever happened to Mark Twain and Shakespeare - maybe too much racism and white privilege.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course there is temporary uncertainty and there will be some temporary financial dislocation as things get worked out. I'm saying it's not Armageddon.
    No. Most likely outcome is a recession, probably somewhat prolonged.

Self-inflicted damage.

Part and parcel of a factor similar to what I think is happening in the US, the uncertainty effect. I think the stupidity of Congress is causing a lot of businesses to simply not invest.

The quibble then becomes, who is responsible for that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not voting for Trump because he's less likely than Hillary to lie. I'm voting for him because he is more likely to shake up our corrupt government and is (well, up until now) self-funded and not controlled by any donor, Wall Street, etc. You can see it in that he is having trouble getting donors and why should they give him money when his intention is to go to Washington and upset their gravy train? Some of them are defecting and running to Hillary because she will continue the same corruption, status quo that they have going on there. He doesn't have to do this - he could retire and play golf - he's not concerned about any political future or money (he's taking a big hit funding his campaign). He's a businessman and I think more capable than an attorney to bring back the jobs and economy - which to me are the most important issues. You can see it in, for instance, the transgender issue - his first stance (thinking of the cost) was use whatever bathroom you want but don't force businesses to have to make new ones - that would be incredibly expensive. Hillary will also continue Obamacare which I hate.

Nope, both took AP Biology - no problem. I don't need to protect them because their foundation is strong. Sorry about the tunnel vision thing - I'm a bit sensitive as my son has mild Asperger's - frustrating at times but what is seen as negative is sometimes positive - super-focused, passionate and obsessive about his interests, single-minded, etc.

Won't be going door to door - probably manning phones or paper/office work.
    People are defecting from him, because he is an unstable racist with incoherent, arguably dangerously incoherent policies.

His campaign is a shambles, and if you think Mr. Deal maker is going to live up to his promises, once those moneyed interests turn their attention to him, you are being dangerously naive, no offense. Clinton isn't that much better in that regard, but she has both experience and temperament that unstable Donald will never have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you weigh that against the strong-arm unethical stuff that goes into Trump's real estate projects? His defrauding of his "university" students? His bankruptcies that forced his losses on the little guys that were the subcontractors for his casinos?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope, took all of them - nothing wrong with my kids' science education - one's at Google interning and the other heading toward engineering. You see my home as indoctrination while I see it as freedom to read widely and discuss openly. Funny how I see public school as lacking in those areas with its political correctness and have you seen the PC books on reading lists these days - whatever happened to Mark Twain and Shakespeare - maybe too much racism and white privilege.
    Public schools being larger have a vast array of beliefs and cultures. Sports like football sometimes bring students from very different backgrounds towards common goals. Bands, cheer squads, etc take kids who are not so interested in school and at least expose them to education. Not all kids have parents like you. Your children will be living and working with kids from public schools. You, in your old age, will be relying on kids from public schools. I believe public schools are an absolutely sacred thing in this country. Private schools are necessary but cannot possibly fill the unity need like a well run public school. Problem is there are areas with public schools mirrororing the neighborhood. Drugs and poverty. But I damn sure don't want to turn Texas into what I have seen in New Orleans. Public schools that are absolute trash, and private schools that maintain discipline without teaching a damn thing.

I personally look at the whole ball of wax. It helps me personally if public schools are good, especially in science. So even though I am young, I have flexible working hours and was lucky to end up in a critical need area that pays. Therefore I give back to the public community that helped produce me. The science community that too often has to look outside of our own borders to find competent people.

You can thank conservatives for ruining the reading lists in the State of Texas. This is plain and simple. You can also thank conservatives for trying to leave out some of the greatest, most profound ideas in science. Yes CONSERVATIVES.

Who ruined the textbooks in Florida?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you weigh that against the strong-arm unethical stuff that goes into Trump's real estate projects? His defrauding of his "university" students? His bankruptcies that forced his losses on the little guys that were the subcontractors for his casinos?
    Trump is a habitual liar. Plain and simple. And he is a snake oil salesman. There are so many examples of him outright lying it's absolutely mind-boggling.

"David Duke, I never met the guy. I know nothing about him. Why should I criticize him."

Uhhhh, perhaps because you wrote an article in a magazine about him Mr. Trump. Yes, you were critical.
    I gotta cuss now... Fckn amazing. He pulls this all the time. He wrote a book on how to take advantage of people so he can deal with China, he knows China. Jesus... What a fck up. Stay in your own world of gold and marble.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Maybe if the Republican's Party's current face wasn't symbolic of the absolute lowest common denominator when it comes to politics, I'd agree that people shouldn't judge you for your beliefs.

It's one thing to vote Republican because you're a Republican, or even because you want to keep Hillary out, but to be enthusiastically behind Donald Trump and really feel that he embodies President of the United States? Probably best to keep that to yourself.
    This is America, not a third-world hole. gots like you who support voter intimidation against any candidate that hurts your fee-fees seem to have forgotten that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having Won, Boris Johnson and ‘Brexit’ Leaders Fumble

former London mayor Boris Johnson and other leaders of the successful campaign to vote Britain out of the European Union: They had no plan for what comes next.

the movement’s leaders have often appeared as if they had not expected to win and were not prepared to cope with the consequences. Faced with the scope of the decision, they have been busy walking back promises they made during the campaign and scaling back expectations. They have failed to show a united front or to answer basic questions.

it has undercut their credibility and authority as Mr. Johnson prepares his bid to become prime minister and lead Britain into a new relationship with the Continent.

On issues from immigration to spending on the National Health Service, the “Leave” coalition has retreated from its more populist and apparently exaggerated claims.

In changing their tune, the leaders of the anti-European Union campaign risk undermining whatever trust they had earned from the millions who voted to leave the bloc in the expectation that immigration would be cut sharply and that money now going to the European Union — which the Leave campaign said was 350 million pounds, or $465 million, a week — would be available to help finance the National Health Service.

On immigration, too, there was immediate backtracking from Mr. Johnson and Daniel Hannan, a member of the European Parliament from the Conservative Party, who told the BBC, “Frankly, if people watching think that they have voted and there is now going to be zero immigration from the E.U., they are going to be disappointed.”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/29/world/europe/boris-johnson-brexit-leaders-eu.html

Rightwingnuts in UK con, sucker, lie as much as US rightwingnuts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the UK voted again right now STAY would win. Im almost sure of it.

Just heard an interview with a LEAVE MP in the UK with an Indian last name and he said immigration was a big issue. He explained that it is much harder for nonEU individuals to enter the UK and this was not fair. The shocked interviewer said she thought most of the LEAVE voters wanted LESS immigration. He said no, they just wanted it fair so that anyone, regardless of their EU status, would be free to enter and leave the country for work. !!!!!

Holy ... !!!!!

Then asked why the LEAVE leaders did not have a plan he explained that neither did the STAY leaders. The shocked interviewer said the STAY leaders did indeed have a plan based on, now get this, STAYING. The LEAVE MP then stated the STAY Leaders should have had a plan for LEAVE. She then asked was it not clear the LEAVE Leaders should have a LEAVE plan?

I kid you not. This is so damn sad its funny.

"Ok son, take the wheel."
    "What's a wheel daddy?"
    Bang...
    Repost.
    For those of you who know anything about this.
    This is totally freaking amazing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is America, not a third-world hole. gots like you who support voter intimidation against any candidate that hurts your fee-fees seem to have forgotten that.
    Voter intimidation? I'm just saying you're a dumbass if you think Trump would make a worthy President. Sorry if that hurts your wittle feewings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't oppress me by questioning my intelligence!
    Victimhood mentality
    Triggered!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Public schools being larger have a vast array of beliefs and cultures. Sports like football sometimes bring students from very different backgrounds towards common goals. Bands, cheer squads, etc take kids who are not so interested in school and at least expose them to education. Not all kids have parents like you. Your children will be living and working with kids from public schools. You, in your old age, will be relying on kids from public schools. I believe public schools are an absolutely sacred thing in this country. Private schools are necessary but cannot possibly fill the unity need like a well run public school. Problem is there are areas with public schools mirrororing the neighborhood. Drugs and poverty. But I damn sure don't want to turn Texas into what I have seen in New Orleans. Public schools that are absolute trash, and private schools that maintain discipline without teaching a damn thing.

I personally look at the whole ball of wax. It helps me personally if public schools are good, especially in science. So even though I am young, I have flexible working hours and was lucky to end up in a critical need area that pays. Therefore I give back to the public community that helped produce me. The science community that too often has to look outside of our own borders to find competent people.

You can thank conservatives for ruining the reading lists in the State of Texas. This is plain and simple. You can also thank conservatives for trying to leave out some of the greatest, most profound ideas in science. Yes CONSERVATIVES.

Who ruined the textbooks in Florida?
    I commend you for giving back to your community - I especially like one-on-one mentoring like Big Brothers or for me teaching someone how to read - makes a big difference in someone's life. So many people have helped me through my struggles with my allergic/asthmatic child - I thank all the moms who experimented/tried different things and posted them on the internet.

I have no beef with Florida's (middle school and above) textbooks - except their outrageous expense. The ones I've come in contact with are the standard publishers - McGraw Hill, Holt, etc - always secular. Our school system is very liberal, but when it comes to sensitive material (like sex education), they allow you to opt out if you want. My dd says her friends took 4 years of computer science in their Texas high schools. She only took the one year offered here. Don't know about the other sciences there. My kids learn evolution in high school and we discuss at home - they had previously learned creationism at home and at church.

If anyone here has young kids, I highly recommend Primary Mathematics. It's my favorite curriculum - concise, teaches critical thinking and the basics at depth (instead of traditional US math textbooks which are a mile wide and an inch deep) - excellent - Singapore's elementary-aged kids all use it and their 4th and 8th graders consistently score at the very top in international tests. I also love Susan Wise Bauer's "Story of the World" series - world history at 1st-4th grade level - fantastic listen (audio version) on long car trips.

The beef I have is with the READING books - seems like most of the classics are out - replaced by books with current politically correct issues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I commend you for giving back to your community - I especially like one-on-one mentoring like Big Brothers or for me teaching someone how to read - makes a big difference in someone's life. So many people have helped me through my struggles with my allergic/asthmatic child - I thank all the moms who experimented/tried different things and posted them on the internet.

I have no beef with Florida's (middle school and above) textbooks - except their outrageous expense. The ones I've come in contact with are the standard publishers - McGraw Hill, Holt, etc - always secular. Our school system is very liberal, but when it comes to sensitive material (like sex education), they allow you to opt out if you want. My dd says her friends took 4 years of computer science in their Texas high schools. She only took the one year offered here. Don't know about the other sciences there. My kids learn evolution in high school and we discuss at home - they had previously learned creationism at home and at church.

If anyone here has young kids, I highly recommend Primary Mathematics. It's my favorite curriculum - concise, teaches critical thinking and the basics at depth (instead of traditional US math textbooks which are a mile wide and an inch deep) - excellent - Singapore's elementary-aged kids all use it and their 4th and 8th graders consistently score at the very top in international tests. I also love Susan Wise Bauer's "Story of the World" series - world history at 1st-4th grade level - fantastic listen (audio version) on long car trips.

The beef I have is with the READING books - seems like most of the classics are out - replaced by books with current politically correct issues.
    ? "creationism".

What happens when your kids find out they have been lied to?

Creationism isn't even close to science, and maintaining that belief system requires active distortions, and outright fabrication of facts. If your kids are smart, they will figure that out if they ever really get into seriously looking at the evidence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ? "creationism".

What happens when your kids find out they have been lied to?

Creationism isn't even close to science, and maintaining that belief system requires active distortions, and outright fabrication of facts. If your kids are smart, they will figure that out if they ever really get into seriously looking at the evidence.
    This is why I asked about AP BIO and AP physics

Thread Information