Page 6 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray is your typical young player in the sense he has always been the main attraction and now has to share the spotlight! Pop will help break him down to understand the intricacies of Spur Basketball. He is a little selfish and self centered right now..... on his nice spin move for the botched layup, he should have hit forbes in the corner for the open three. Once he stops being so concerned with scoring and starts to focus in on defense (only way he will ever get on the court here) the sky will be the limit! Murray possess all the tools for a lockdown defender.
    He's got the length to become a good 3 and D player. His current skills sets though aren't going to translate to the regular NBA where you have much bigger and faster players than D-league. 3-11 shooting? 5 TOs? I seriously doubt that Pop will feed his ego. He'll break it down first and who knows if he wants out before he learns to get over himself.

Forbes on the other hand, he was the most enthusiastic player who ran over to congratulate Simmons. He couldn't get going because he wasn't get the passes.

Overall, terrible game.... team hasn't been playing well in the last two games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the health of the team, Murray should come off the bench. As I told people after the Boston game, he doesn't play winning basketball. But that doesn't mean that he won't be able to with time, and as the energy guy with the second unit, he can certainly make an impact. As it is, they're going to have a couple of bigs who are part of their pipeline there soon, so making them go out there just to have them stand around and watch the Big Three control the ball would be awful. I don't think that anyone is really showing improvement if it isn't happening within a team context.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the health of the team, Murray should come off the bench. As I told people after the Boston game, he doesn't play winning basketball. But that doesn't mean that he won't be able to with time, and as the energy guy with the second unit, he can certainly make an impact. As it is, they're going to have a couple of bigs who are part of their pipeline there soon, so making them go out there just to have them stand around and watch the Big Three control the ball would be awful. I don't think that anyone is really showing improvement if it isn't happening within a team context.
    Yup.... I want to see more scoring out of assists that out of hero ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think using the first 2-3 years of Murray's career as a 6th Man would prove to be the most beneficial, for a lot of what you mention. It suits where he is maturity-wise and his talents at this early stage - and it shouldn't be a hard sell with Manu's success and his relationship with Crawford.

As he matures his understanding and skills for the game, and if he proves to be a player capable of taking over the 1 or 2 moving forward, than insert him in the SL. Manu and Tony will be gone, creating the opportunity at the right time.

He's got the ability to contribute off the bench right now. There will definitely be some growing pains, he's got a lot to learn and improve, but I could see him having a night here-and-there that give glimpses of the future. What he's good at now, getting to the rim, playing in transition and his "star" mentality, he'll have more room to work when surrounded by better talent with defenses not being geared to stop him - and some nights... he'll just look god awful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also noticed Murray not very excited after thing game and it's understandable, summer league isn't about winning and losing its about improving your overall skill set and he knows he played like . I'm sure he's hard on himself and expects a lot from himself he seems like that type of guy. He's a young kid who wants to be great but he has to have patience and let the game come to him but that will come with time and maturity. I also agree with Chinook Murray should come off the bench it would be good for the team and himself. Having Murray Simmons and Anderson on the floor on the same time just doesn't work at times offense gets to stagnant mostly because all three of them need the ball in their hands. Murray will be better off playing with Archi. With time I think Murray can become a good player especially for someone who got drafted at 29, im excited for his future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Archi too, hopefully he ends up on a team somewhere if it isn't the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray will be just fine once Pop gets his hands on him. Patience is a virtue most don't possess..... He will have to learn to truly be a team player in order to thrive on this team though!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    worked with chip already
    says he and chip will be working with each other alot
    YES

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great link. The bit about chip and murray is towards the end.

Kid has fire. Start him Pop.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Says he worked with chip for a week and a half before summer league. His shot might also dip while he changes his form. All part of the process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love his confidence, and he definitely has the tools.

If he's got a work-ethic anywhere near Kawhi, the young fella's gonna be good - not worried about any at ude or selfish behavior. The kid wants to play, he'll fall in line.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to work on getting the ball in the basket. That's my problem. He's a chucker who misses too many shots.

I think its incredibly stupid to complain about off ball defense in summer league. You need to know your teammates plus its his second game out of college. He's had absolutely none of that. You won't find a single good off-ball rookie defender in SL. He could be absolutely terrible off the ball, but this is no reason to believe that.

I think he's got good hands and also seems fairly quick. He's a toothpick though and will get eaten up by heavier guards.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to work on getting the ball in the basket. That's my problem. He's a chucker who misses too many shots.

I think its incredibly stupid to complain about off ball defense in summer league. You need to know your teammates plus its his second game out of college. He's had absolutely none of that. You won't find a single good off-ball rookie defender in SL. He could be absolutely terrible off the ball, but this is no reason to believe that.

I think he's got good hands and also seems fairly quick. He's a toothpick though and will get eaten up by heavier guards.
    You don't know what your talking about tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for posting! If this kid can develop into a talented player he's going to be great with media. He's great at answering questions and he seems to be brand conscious. It's cool that chip was in him two days after the draft! That must've been wild to have no idea what is going to happen with your career then two days later be inundated with the Spurs philosophy.

The way he talks about the system sounds a lot like how Pop describes it, "It's just basketball".

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't know what your talking about tbh.
    In which way?

I just said he's skinny, needs to work on his finishing/shot, and summer league is a terrible way to assess off-ball defense. Which part is wrong?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the young fella's gonna be good - not worried about any at ude or selfish behavior. The kid wants to play, he'll fall in line.
    Well we're all relieved that's settled. Thank you so so much for clearing that up for us.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In which way?

I just said he's skinny, needs to work on his finishing/shot, and summer league is a terrible way to assess off-ball defense. Which part is wrong?
    Being skinny in basketball isn't a game breaker. He has amazing tools to get to the basket. The ball will go in fairly easily if he knows where to pick his spots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're welcome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Michael C. Wright Verified account ‏@mikecwright

Dejounte Murray trying to maintain iden y within Spurs' system

https://t.co/x7uTZJoaTV

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by SAGirl; 07-23-2016 at 02:01 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Just develop Dejounte Pops!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kid is going to be electric. I'll be sad if he's stashed in the dleague all season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this the first non-socially awkward black Spur they've ever drafted?

Thread Information