Page 34 of 134 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Summer league MVP

2014 - Glen rice jr
    2015 - Kyle Anderson
    2016 - thus jones

Lottery picks rarely play but you see the pattern here of experienced guys beating up on one and done's than getting exposed at the next level.

Look at the MVP list for the last 15 seasons ...I'd be willing to bet less then half stuck in the league

Murray had his coming out on nation TV against Cle
    A decent playoffs capped off by an elimation closeout which was probably his best game.

DJ could average 30 & 10 in summer league and it wouldn't mean
    Last edited by ceds; 09-24-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone give me some prime HEB steak Fathead per36 numbers?
    Per 40 is easier to find (from last year, Kyle vs Murray vs Bennett vs Clarkson) :

http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players...64&season=2016

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Per 40 is easier to find (from last year, Kyle vs Murray vs Bennett vs Clarkson) :

http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players...64&season=2016
    Per 40... per 36... per anything... means little

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I put 0 stock into his recent summer league . It's highly likely he was told to do some very specific things (This is going back a long way but TD's summer league was left hooks only and people were worried lol)

What's more impressive to you?

Anderson dominating summer L 2 years ago or Murray's late season & playoffs as a rookie
    I will give him cheers if he has a good season personally.

Should Dijon also prove to be better than he was/has been so far that's what I am hoping for, some improvement. This past season and poor summer will be in the rearview mirror if he has a better season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Murray had had Kyle's SL rather than his rookie season, I would be happier. Kyle showed he could get his own shot and hit it at a high clip. Murray is still extremely inconsistent or bad at everything. Him putting together a string of steady games showing a few things he could hang his hat one would be amazing right now.

Should he be written off after the summer league? no. That'd be ridiculous. I still expect him to be the starter going into the year. But he deserves some flack for a) sucking it up after hyping himself over and over and b) showing a piss-poor at ude when things weren't going his way. Those things make me wonder if he believes that success is a matter of waiting rather than and ever-rising bar he has to hit. "Good, better, best", and all that.

Kawhi invited some teammates to work out with him this summer. He didn't make a big announcement about it or post it on Instagram. He just wanted to get better with some folks. Murray bragged about it over and over. It would do him some good to pump the breaks on that type of at ude, at least in his own mind until he can back that talk up. I love him being vocal, but that can't be his most developed attribute.
    You have a good point in that it's actually been a contradiction to see him hype himself up and express aspirations to be a star etc... and then come out like one of the worst players in that tournament. Had he been humble about the whole thing it wouldn't be that shocking.

But his play and the at ude he had: that he's always been a leader, never a follower, that he's not here to be ordinary etc. All of that didn't go with neither his at ude nor the way he was playing.

It's so different from what I heard from Bertans say and others, even if they didn't have a great performance.

Dijon can take a page from Kawhi's book and let his game do the talking. Instead so far he's been all bark and no bite. I am ready for this young pup to start biting more and barking less.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not everyone has TDs & Kawhi's personality type

Kid is young and enjoying life. As long as he is putting in work who cares what he posts on social media?

He's clearly very confident....in the right cir stance it can work out to his advantage.

As for Kyle...This season is make or break....i wish he had half the confidence of Murray so he'd jack those open 3's!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need to see evidence that he's put in the work. We didn't get that in July. You can make excuses or uae false logic to dismiss that, and indeed it may not end up mattering. But in the very least seeing him suck it up against bad compe ion and then mope around because of it was a wet blanket.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No fair enough, i can totally agree with seeing evidence that he is putting in work.

As for summer league play...like i said earlier - summer league doesn't mean and its been proven time and again.
    Lets not debate decent playoff game(s) > summer league MVP because its not close

If he's out at the clubs (like green) then we have a problem because he's in a critical stage of his development right now.
    Hopefully DJ saw first hand the work involved with kawhi this off-season (3 x sessions a day) and has followed suit.

I want his confidence as high as possible tbh so who cares if he needs to boost his ego . He's just a kid....not your typical "over yourself" spur but clearly to good to pass at 29

Like i was saying.... As long as he's putting in the work and taking care of his body then who cares how many girls he bangs or what he posts.

The proof wil be in the season so we'll have to wait. Hopefully all our young guys have moved up a level
    Last edited by ceds; 09-24-2017 at 09:56 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu talked about Murray on media day. He said that Murray was injured during SL that's why he struggled. and that he sees all-star potential in him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll trust Manu's assessment.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu talked about Murray on media day. He said that Murray was injured during SL that's why he struggled. and that he sees all-star potential in him.
    I didn't hear him say Summer League. I heard him say that he was injured for a couple of weeks, but I thought he meant he was injured for a couple of weeks during the past month that Manu has spent in the open gym workouts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't hear him say Summer League. I heard him say that he was injured for a couple of weeks, but I thought he meant he was injured for a couple of weeks during the past month that Manu has spent in the open gym workouts.
    I agree with you Ice. He didn't say anything about summer league. Manu was traveling and enjoying his vacation with his family during the summer and didn't even know if he'd be back right then. He even mentioned in the context of a question about LMA that he only heard some rumors but didn't know any details or anything about LMA trades. I doubt he knew even less of why Murray had a dissappointing summer league.

What I found more encouraging was Manu's statement that Murray had barely vacationed or rested and had been working hard all summer. That gives me hope he's going to be improved, maybe even very much improved with more playing time opportunities.

He did mention he had been working hard the past month except fir a couple of weeks he got injured. I do recall he was injured about 6 weeks last season coinciding with the last month and a half of the season. I hope he has a good season and doesn't turn out to be injury prone frankly. The team already has delicate hamstrings, Achilles tendons, knees, age dudes etc.

He state his potential is visible and he could be an all star someday, which is high praise but it's hard to know when. It may be soon or it may take 5 years. It depends on Dejounte himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's good enough for me!
    How many years did it take TP or Manu to become an All-Star?

I haven't seen the presser yet but if Murray has committed to the 3 x 2hr kawhi off-season plan that is extremely encouraging. Hopefully he has improved and is given some leeway
    Last edited by ceds; 09-26-2017 at 12:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I haven't seen the presser yet but if Murray has committed to the 3 x 2hr kawhi off-season plan that is extremely encouraging. Hopefully he has improved and is given some leeway
    Manu was an all-star in his third season. Tony in his fifth.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Parker became an All Star at age 23. Manu at age 27

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker became an All Star at age 23. Manu at age 27
    Yes but both were heavy contributors well before they were all stars. Murray hasn't had near the impact that either had when they first came in the league. I hope he can contribute this year, but summer league has me worried. And if he plays like he did last year, he'll contribute one out of every 15 games. We'll need much more than that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just read this thread from playoffs to post summer league to get an idea of the backtracking, fence sitting and change of opinion.

I'm going to maintain my opinion that the most important part of DJ's off-season was the amount of work he put in and that his summer league doesn't mean a damn thing.
    I showed some pretty good evidence of that responding to posts about Kyle's MVP summer league being more impressive then DJ's rookie year which outlined the history of how the MVP's are often exposed at the next level and believe DJ playoffs was 1000x more important for his development (and the fact that he was fearless). No moment is to big or he's just to dumb to know any better Whatever the case it's rare.

I think some people have unrealistic expectations of how much time a player spends working on his game during the off-season. Most guys just play pickup and do gym sessions. Do you realize how hard it is to commit to the 3 x 2hr sessions kawhi does?

Do we have enough evidence to support he is on the right track now Chinook?

- We know the DJ went to work with kawhi at some point this summer and got to see up close and personal what it takes.
    - We have Manu saying in his presser Murray put in the work all summer & that he has star potential.
    - Lebron just called him out on twitter as his lil bro. Can you think of 2 better mentors then the King & the King slayer? Nobody works harder then those guys

can we get some official predictions from all the big name posters on the board? (Let's leave Kyle out of this)

- What kind of skill set & player does Murray remind you of?
    - Give a best & worst case scenario as a player.
    - Make your call on what level he will reach.

I gave my takes on this a couple of pages ago but here's a mix-tape that shows the kind of handles & hesitation package he has. He needs leeway from Pop and confidence do try these in NBA games like Jamal.....i think it will be a slow process like we saw with Manu but if he's good enough Pop will eventually let him go.

Last edited by ceds; 09-27-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We know the DJ went to work with kawhi at some point this summer and got to see up close and personal what it takes.
    Did this actually happen, though? I read about them supposed to workout together during the off-season, but not about it actually happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think so?

Posters were saying he was bragging about working out with Kawhi on his twitter or something.

What's your call on DJ?
    Last edited by ceds; 09-27-2017 at 11:00 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never got Kyle into this fwiw. That was TGY whose sole pose s troll_hating.
    -----

He needs a lot of work on his shot and his go to move, his floater needs a to be reliable and he needs to tighten up his dribble and be more careful. It's impossible to predict how he will play bc he didn't shoot well at all even in the playoffs. To me his playoff performance was impactful bc of his activity level, rebounds, loose balls or steals he got and obviously his aggressiveness but he didn't shoot well nor was he very effective and his handle was poor + his TO plenty, or not even TO but near TO that disrupted sets. His improvement in weak areas wasn't seen in summer league so, I can't predict anything. I do think he will be improved. He's still young and in the ages that players can make substantial changes, even leaps from one season to the next. I am optimistic.... but how much he will have improved? No I can't say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did this actually happen, though? I read about them supposed to workout together during the off-season, but not about it actually happening.
    It was supposed to happen but Kawhi then went to China and had other things going. Bc Kawhi is so private I don't think any picture or video would get out anyways but considering Kawhi's busy summer I don't think it happened.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was supposed to happen but Kawhi then went to China and had other things going. Bc Kawhi is so private I don't think any picture or video would get out anyways but considering Kawhi's busy summer I don't think it happened.
    I don't need pictures or video, I just wanted to know if either of them mentioned it. If not, one of the reporters should ask.

Man, those San Antonio reporters really do suck ass. They don't seem to ask any decent questions most of the time. I also don't think it happened.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah they are hopeless. The spurs have full control of the SA media it seems

I miss Ludden.....The difference in beat reporting since he left is night and day

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't need pictures or video, I just wanted to know if either of them mentioned it. If not, one of the reporters should ask.

Man, those San Antonio reporters really do suck ass. They don't seem to ask any decent questions most of the time. I also don't think it happened.
    I didn't see anything from Kyle, but Kyle is private. The videos that leaked out if him training over the summer came from other sources and not him, bc he worked out with some other high profile guys. I know he worked out with Cojo and Kawhi b4 his 2nd season and he also did in b4 the 3rd and can't even remember where I saw it bc it wasn't an instagram post. Maybe media mentioned it in some article.

I am going to assume they didn't get around to it unless I see otherwise somewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never got Kyle into this fwiw. That was TGY whose sole pose s troll_hating.
    -----

He needs a lot of work on his shot and his go to move, his floater needs a to be reliable and he needs to tighten up his dribble and be more careful. It's impossible to predict how he will play bc he didn't shoot well at all even in the playoffs. To me his playoff performance was impactful bc of his activity level, rebounds, loose balls or steals he got and obviously his aggressiveness but he didn't shoot well nor was he very effective and his handle was poor + his TO plenty, or not even TO but near TO that disrupted sets. His improvement in weak areas wasn't seen in summer league so, I can't predict anything. I do think he will be improved. He's still young and in the ages that players can make substantial changes, even leaps from one season to the next. I am optimistic.... but how much he will have improved? No I can't say.
    DJ did not have a season. Maybe 10-20 games so take any per numbers with a grain of salt.

It's the fearlessness that he displayed in a few of those games that you cant teach...Stack5 had it as a young guy here and so did Parker. He made a fool of himself sometimes but i love that confidence. This is a rookie that had Pat ing Beverley hands all over & even checking him full court in the playoffs and DJ has the audacity to try and pull some on him (anyone remember Beno his pants as a rookie when Hunter did the same to him in the finals? ).

It's his closeout game in Hou that stands out the most to me because in addition to attacking he really impacted the game by using his athleticism and sticking his nose in for boards and steals. I don't even recall his point total but i know he had 10 boards and 5 steals. Jamal wishes he could have had games like that against us in the playoffs to go with his scoring.

We don't have allot of evidence but we do have enough to make a player evaluation and prediction as to what kind of player he will be.

Isn't that half the fun of this board? Make a pick....we can all change our minds at the end of the season.

It was Chinook and CD who i was mostly asking because it was them who challenged my opinion on DJ and their preference to Kyle's summer League MVP as a better talent indicator to DJ's playoffs then have stayed quiet after i defended my position.

Is starting a thread on a best/worst case for our young guys DJ/Kyle/Bertan's/white a good idea or has it been discussed enough already?
    Last edited by ceds; 09-27-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Thread Information