San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think I've been less excited for a stash prospect
    Even DeShaun Thomas?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs would be better off waiving them and keeping a spot open -- especially if they have below average performances in pre season( which is expected and the likely scenario). In this likely scenario, another team will have a few days to pick them up btw the time theyre waived and the time SA can have their rights for the entire year in Austin. Its a safe gamble to waive them and pick up their rights for the year, instead of signing one to start the season and having to waive him for a better player in the middle of season-- which if it happens, SA would be losing their rights to them and throws all the development perspective out the window for these undrafted FAs.

The incentives to waiving vs signing is it keeps roster flexibility. It also allows SA to take a longer look and gives the them more time to develop the players in Austin, and it does save them money ( but its irrelevant money).

Forbes & Archie and their agents know they are likely D League players this yr, that's why they were so quick to sign these 75k guaranteed camp deals and not waiting out for a better deal. The likely hood of another team coming in at the end of pre season is very small. The time between the draft and the start of the season won't change other teams perspectives that much -- if at all. These are undrafted FAs we are talking about. Ones that were not offered guaranteed deals like Gary Payton II.
    Good post.

I still say though, because of the need for another wing shooter, if Forbes shoots lights out in training camp/preseason, he has a chance. If Simmons and/or Bertans struggle in conjunction, he has a good chance, because then the need for another wing period becomes exacerbated.

Even in light of what you said, leaving the 15th spot open doesn't make much sense. Only partially guaranteeing it does, but with the age/mileage of 3 of the top 6 and the likelihood that Jean-Charles is virtually unplayable, they need another body.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even DeShaun Thomas?
    same ballpark, though thomas was from the ncaa. i was referring to foreign "unknown" dudes

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah DeShaun was never hyped people new he could shoot but they also new he was terrible on defense and slow. You know when people say your bad on defense no way in your making the team as a rookie. But I think Andeson might have changed that theory lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy could eventually become an important part of the team defensively. He's long enough to block shots and rebound, yet mobile enough to defend the pick and roll. He can defend the interior and perimeter. This is very useful in today's NBA where small ball has become the new trend.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy could eventually become an important part of the team defensively. He's long enough to block shots and rebound, yet mobile enough to defend the pick and roll. He can defend the interior and perimeter. This is very useful in today's NBA where small ball has become the new trend.
    I agree. He could be a good defensive presence for small ball situations. He's actually very quick defensively.

Let's give PATFO the benefit of the doubt here. They've always drafted well in the first round! I mean, who was the worse first round player that Spurs drafted?

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who was the worse first round player that Spurs drafted?
    Alfredrick Hughes is the only 1st rounder with negative WS.
    Then in reverse WS/48 order
    2) Wiley Peck
    3) Dwayne Schintzius (who I was predicting to be worst)
    4) Cory Alexander
    5) Felipe Lopez (probably chosen by the Grizzlies)
    6) James Anderson (surprise for me)
    7) Frankie Sanders
    8) Bill Curley (maybe chosen by Pistons)
    9) Greg Anderson
    10) John Salmons (probably chosen by the 76ers)

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alfredrick Hughes is the only 1st rounder with negative WS.
    Then in reverse WS/48 order
    2) Wiley Peck
    3) Dwayne Schintzius (who I was predicting to be worst)
    4) Cory Alexander
    5) Felipe Lopez (probably chosen by the Grizzlies)
    6) James Anderson (surprise for me)
    7) Frankie Sanders
    8) Bill Curley (maybe chosen by Pistons)
    9) Greg Anderson
    10) John Salmons (probably chosen by the 76ers)
    Of those, only Lopez, James Anderson, and Salmons are in the Duncan (and thus the Pop/RC) era. Salmons never played for the Spurs anyway.

It's too bad the league and websites consider players like Salmons to be Spurs draft picks even though it was a draft day trade. Kawhi is listed as a Pacers draft pick, for example.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of those, only Lopez, James Anderson, and Salmons are in the Duncan (and thus the Pop/RC) era. Salmons never played for the Spurs anyway.

It's too bad the league and websites consider players like Salmons to be Spurs draft picks even though it was a draft day trade. Kawhi is listed as a Pacers draft pick, for example.

So in the Duncan Era (which is what I meant in my query), James Anderson was the worse? He's right now borderline going to get kicked out of the NBA. I think Livio might have more potential than James Anderson. Although both players got injured before they became a Spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So in the Duncan Era (which is what I meant in my query), James Anderson was the worse? He's right now borderline going to get kicked out of the NBA. I think Livio might have more potential than James Anderson. Although both players got injured before they became a Spur.
    Anderson's time in the NBA is probably about average. I've always been happy for the guy. His feet injuries were not timely, happy he hung in there for awhile and earned some money. However he wasn't able to contribute much.

I'm hoping that PATFO has knowledge we don't have about LJC and know how he can contribute. Don't think he'd be coming otherwise. Chinook mentioned objective having seen him play a bit and was not too impressed. All the same, they probably have a plan for the guy and I'm guessing we will be much improved before long.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson was a good player who was playing good until he broke his foot. Not all players can come back from that type of injury. Livio was not good but he had some great pre draft games that really stood out which got him drafted. I think a lot of us where surprised that he dominated some of those games and then was a DUD when he went to France.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So in the Duncan Era (which is what I meant in my query), James Anderson was the worse? He's right now borderline going to get kicked out of the NBA.
    James Anderson signed with Darüşşafaka of the Turkish Basketball Super League and the Euroleague on 21 July 2016.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good post.

I still say though, because of the need for another wing shooter, if Forbes shoots lights out in training camp/preseason, he has a chance. If Simmons and/or Bertans struggle in conjunction, he has a good chance, because then the need for another wing period becomes exacerbated.

Even in light of what you said, leaving the 15th spot open doesn't make much sense. Only partially guaranteeing it does, but with the age/mileage of 3 of the top 6 and the likelihood that Jean-Charles is virtually unplayable, they need another body.
    Add another partially guaranteed, training camp invite that is likely a D-League addition. Good chance Garcino, Archi, and Forbes are the three guys Spurs will have their rights for Austin. Maybe 1 might make the team -- but it's a long shot.

Thread Information