Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Edit... Somehow I left "Law" off the thread le.
    http://www.khou.com/news/local/texas/supreme-courts-monday-ruling-on-regulation-of-abortion-clinics-in-texas/257194003?Fb

WASHINGTON * The Supreme Court has struck down Texas'widely replicated regulation of abortion clinics in the court's biggest abortion case in nearly a quarter century. The justices voted 5*3 Monday in favor of Texas clinics that protested the regulations as a thinly veiled attempt to make it harder for women to get an abortion in the nation's second most populous state.

Justice Stephen Breyer's majority opinion for the court held that the regulations are medically unnecessary and uncons utionally limit a woman's right to an abortion. Texas had argued that its 2013 law and subsequent regulations were needed to protect women's health.

The rules required doctors who perform abortions to have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals and forced clinics to meet hospital-like standards for outpatient surgery. Abortion clinics challenged the law that already cut the number of abortion providers in half, to roughly 20. Fewer than 10 would remain if the 2013 law were allowed to take full effect.

Clinics in both Dallas and Fort Worth were not at risk of closing, but those in rural areas are — such as West Texas and locations along the Mexican border. Monday's ruling came during what is thought to be the final meeting of the justices before they disperse on their summer breaks. These last three cases concern the regulation of abortion clinics in Texas, the public corruption conviction of former Gov. Bob McDonnell of Virginia and a federal law that aims to keep guns out of the hands of those who have been convicted of domestic violence.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas thinking they can override national law. Too bad so much damage has already been done with these clinics closing. Of course Roberts, Thomas, and Alito tried to uphold this garbage.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are still so many ridiculous and condescending requirements that clinics have to meet, such as mandatory waiting periods and sonograms. To my knowledge this doesn't say anything about those.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are still so many ridiculous and condescending requirements that clinics have to meet, such as mandatory waiting periods and sonograms. To my knowledge this doesn't say anything about those.
    But at least they're legal again in Texas.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5-3, so this is "settled" law.

Now, what will that mean in practice now that TX Repug misogynists have ed up poor people's health care, defunded PP, condoms, HIV/STI testing, have refused to expand Medicaid, etc, etc.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 06-27-2016 at 10:48 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SCOTUS also blocks convicted misdemeanor spouse beaters from owning guns. 6-2!!

Garbage Thomas never fails to amuse

"A dissenting Justice Clarence Thomas boiled these down to: "The Angry Plate Thrower" versus the "Soapy-Handed Husband," to illustrate the difference between the use of force in an situation when someone who throws a plate in anger near his wife, even if it doesn't hit her, and someone with soapy hands who "loses his grip on a plate, which then shatters and cuts his
    wife." The Soapy-Handed Husband could clearly keep his guns, while the plate thrower could not, according to the majority in ruling against Voisine."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/supreme-court-says-no-guns-wife-beaters

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I find shocking is the sheer level of duplicity on the part of Republicans.

"This is about women's health".
    Republican Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick added that abortion clinics are now "free to ignore these basic safety standards and continue practicing under substandard conditions. By its ruling, the court held that the ability of abortion clinics to remain open – even under substandard conditions –outweighs the state’s ability to put women’s health and safety first."
    No one believes that. Not on either side of the debate.

It is the most blatant lie, and told so openly it is a bit shocking.

If your preferred policy solution requires lying to my face, it is almost certainly ty public policy. Sadly, so many of those policies tend to be Republican ones, and the basis of a major political party platform.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "It is the most blatant lie, and told so openly it is a bit shocking."

you're STILL shocked by Repugs LIES? If their lips are moving, they're lying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I find shocking is the sheer level of duplicity on the part of Republicans.

If your preferred policy solution requires lying to my face, it is almost certainly ty public policy. Sadly, so many of those policies tend to be Republican ones, and the basis of a major political party platform.
    That's why the "They can just travel to New Mexico" argument offered by the State was so readily dismissed by several justices.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "It is beyond rational belief that [the law] could genuinely protect the health of women, and certain that the law 'would simply make it more difficult for them to obtain abortions,'" she wrote. "When a state severely limits access to safe and legal procedures, women in desperate cir stances may resort to unlicensed rogue prac ioners ... at great risk to their health and safety."
    Ginsburg concluded: "Targeted Regulation of Abortion Providers laws like [this one] that 'do little or nothing for health, but rather strew impediments to abortion' cannot survive judicial inspection."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep, the Repug War on Women is really a Misogynist War on Poor (black, brown) Womens' Vaginas.

Repugs' and evangelicals' wives and daughters in TRAP states fly to wherever they can have an abortion, and they can afford contraception and HIV/STI tests, too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TEXAS WEIGHS BAN ON WOMEN

AUSTIN — Republican lawmakers in the Texas State Senate are proposing a precedent-setting new bill that would make it illegal for women to live in the state.

Senator Harland Dorrinson, one of the many pro-life lawmakers backing the woman ban, crafted his bill after witnessing Senator Wendy Davis filibuster an anti-abortion bill last month.

“That was our moment to say, ‘Enough is enough,’ ” he said. “This comes down to a choice between life and women, and we choose life.”

Senator Dorrinson said his bill would call for a twenty-foot woman-proof fence to be constructed along the borders of the state.
    “Women are great at talking, but not at climbing,” he observed.

But another G.O.P. state senator, Cal Jamson, believes that the total ban on women goes “too far” and is proposing a less draconian bill that would allow some women to remain in the state as guest workers.

“Texas needs women to cook, clean, and cheerlead,” he said. “If they show that they can do those things and stay out of politics, there could be a pathway to citizenship.”

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/texas-weighs-ban-on-women#Texit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you judge Ginsburg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a dumb law.

As I have said repeatedly, The Republican party needs to cool it on the social issues. I could give a if women have abortions or gays want to marry.

In fact, just like Boutons, I am in favor of more poor blacks and hispanics getting abortions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a dumb law.

As I have said repeatedly, The Republican party needs to cool it on the social issues. I could give a if women have abortions or gays want to marry.

In fact, just like Boutons, I am in favor of more poor blacks and hispanics getting abortions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My new favorite show.

It's like the Daily Show had kids that were just as good, if not better.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thats for his cons uents.
    The boy road outta town with his horse on fire by cracky...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Justice Breyer wrote that the requirement that abortion clinics meet the demanding and elaborate standards for ambulatory surgical centers also did more harm than good.

“Abortions taking place in an abortion facility are safe — indeed, safer than numerous procedures that take place outside hospitals and to which Texas does not apply its surgical-center requirements,” he wrote, reviewing the evidence. “Nationwide, childbirth is 14 times more likely than abortion to result in death, but Texas law allows a midwife to oversee childbirth in the patient’s own home.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you judge Ginsburg.
    I have become something of a fan. I think her remark to the effect that nine women on SCOTUS would be about the right number is not too far off.

I will find it a delicious irony that the first woman president will be able to pick a woman to replace Scalia, and the GOP will have no one to blame but themselves for ignoring the cons ution.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have become something of a fan. I think her remark to the effect that nine women on SCOTUS would be about the right number is not too far off.

I will find it a delicious irony that the first woman president will be able to pick a woman to replace Scalia, and the GOP will have no one to blame but themselves for ignoring the cons ution.
    Will Garland withdraw 20 Jan 2017?

Obama ed up by not appointing a progressive to serve in Obama's last year. We wouldn't have all these 4-4 "unsettled" decisions.

I don't expect any big progressive moves from moderate Republican Hillary. Bill implemented 5 major VRWC/Repug long-term programs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will Garland withdraw 20 Jan 2017?

Obama ed up by not appointing a progressive to serve in Obama's last year. We wouldn't have all these 4-4 "unsettled" decisions.

I don't expect any big progressive moves from moderate Republican Hillary. Bill implemented 5 major VRWC/Repug long-term programs.
    I expect her choice to be somewhat centrist, which will mean that Garland's replacement will be more liberal. I agree she probably won't pick an outright progressive, but one can hope.

Even so, more irony.

Republicans placed the good of their party of that of the country, and should be made to suffer a penalty for that. I'm cool with that. 'em.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect hillary nominee to be to right of Garland.

Hillary knows who will make her and Bill even more wealthy.

Thread Information