Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember how depressing it was to watch the Spurs get swept by the Lakers in '01. It was pretty bad the fall out of that sweep. It seemed like the Spurs would be a long ways away from winning a championship again. I tuned in to that draft to see who the Spurs would draft but wasn't expect anything great since the Spurs had the last pick of the first round. When I heard the name Tony Parker I was kind of shocked because I had never heard of him since he was a foreign prospect and back then it wasn't common to draft those type of players in the first round. Then when I heard his interview after getting picked which went something like this "I'm confident I can help the spurs win another championship." It was at that point I was sold this guy could be a big time contributor for the Spurs. As crazy as sounds I liked his yness back then and felt the Spurs needed some of it after getting embarrassed by the Lakers.
    Man I remember all of that too well Slicer, looked up his stats from overseas and saw his steals per game and pointed it out to my boy and he said that is insane. I thought he might be something but had no clue he would start his first year at 19 and become who he was today. That was a of a pick, steal to say the least.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of my first memories of Parker is against the Sonics when he was being guarded by Gary Payton and drive baseline. He faked a pass to corner which Payton bit then Parker proceeds to lay it in. At that moment I knew we had a great PG but for some reason made me feel sorry for Payton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Head of the snake Spur's FO lightyears ahead of everyone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of drafting Timmy, I can't think of a more consequential day for the organization.
    Of course you can't, I wonder why. What's about..."With the first overall pick in 1987 we selected David Robinson" and "We traded Hill to Indiana for Kawhi in 2011"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best thing about the photo is that Nike Spurs cap.

Really. Not being disrespectful. I just really dig those hats back then.
    Next year bud, new jerseys!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Second, or at worst third, best European player in NBA history (behind Dirk and maybe Pau). Best French player ever. Best Spurs point guard ever.

I'd say a pretty good pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, Tony Parker..... one of the all time Spurs greats. To the haters, yall biatch ass biatches.

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    great thread.

MVPARKER

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of drafting Timmy, I can't think of a more consequential day for the organization.

Congrats TP9

So many great moments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember how depressing it was to watch the Spurs get swept by the Lakers in '01. It was pretty bad the fall out of that sweep. It seemed like the Spurs would be a long ways away from winning a championship again. I tuned in to that draft to see who the Spurs would draft but wasn't expect anything great since the Spurs had the last pick of the first round. When I heard the name Tony Parker I was kind of shocked because I had never heard of him since he was a foreign prospect and back then it wasn't common to draft those type of players in the first round. Then when I heard his interview after getting picked which went something like this "I'm confident I can help the spurs win another championship." It was at that point I was sold this guy could be a big time contributor for the Spurs. As crazy as sounds I liked his yness back then and felt the Spurs needed some of it after getting embarrassed by the Lakers.
    That's exactly the point. Parker was enough of a force from the beginning that while Pop tried to bring him off the bench at the beginning of the 01-02 season, he was outplaying Antonio Daniels (who had been one of the lone bright spots for the Spurs in the 01 WCF) by enough that after the 4th game of that season, AD essentially begged out of the lineup and Parker and his self-belief became a fixture.

I've written here a bunch of times about how that summer was actually the turning point for the Spurs franchise (in my opinion). Pop had a bunch of talented guys who could play in 2001, but many of them were perfectly willing to roll over and not fight once the Lakers took Games 1 and 2 in SA. That summer put an end to that. Since then, the Spurs have sought talented guys but have philosophically valued players who are compe ors who don't back down from much of anything -- Parker, Ginobili (as the choice over Gordan Giricek), Jackson, Bowen, Horry, Finley, Oberto, Hill, Leonard, Joseph -- even if they aren't as talented as some other players. Those guys haven't always worked out as the Spurs might have hoped, but they all compete. And while they've had some bad losses and relatively disappointing seasons for a spoiled fanbase like this one in the intervening 14 years, those losses haven't been because they've refused to play hard. And that's the philosophical cornerstone of the Duncan era after 2001.

One of my first memories of Parker is against the Sonics when he was being guarded by Gary Payton and drive baseline. He faked a pass to corner which Payton bit then Parker proceeds to lay it in. At that moment I knew we had a great PG but for some reason made me feel sorry for Payton.
    Parker was great in that series, particularly in Games 1 and 3, and his ability to perform at that level against Payton at such a young age certainly suggested then that he was ready for prime time.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmmm . . .

Fifteen years ago a 19 year-old point guard goes lower than everyone expected and falls to the Spurs at 28. Four les follow . . .

Now a 19 year-old point guard goes lower than everyone expected and falls to the Spurs at 29 . . .

So five les should follow . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A PG who would go on to:

-Win 4 les & FMVP
    -Be the winningest player in NBA history (minimum 1000 games)
    -Be the all-time leading playoff scoring PG
    -Knock the "best PGs" of his generation out of the playoffs: Payton, Kidd, Billups, Deron, Nash, CP3, Conley, Westbrook, Curry, etc etc etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boiled down...

Parker: 4
    Eliancito: 1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boiled down...

Parker: 4
    Eliancito: 1
    Nash
    Cp3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imagine being stupid enough to think tony hasn't helped the team tremendously since being drafted

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best point guard in Spurs history, easily. If you dispute that, you weren't a Spurs fan before 2001.
    You can't dispute it past 2001 either.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My favorite Spur of all-time, tbh

In Bud We Trust SquawkinHawkBigCock's Avatar
    My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    Between nerd Tim and nice guy David....is TP the most alpha Spur ever, tbh...?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best point guard in Spurs history, easily. If you dispute that, you weren't a Spurs fan before 2001.
    this... but I have a bias since I'm a huge Parker fan, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    couldn't have said it better. Best freaking point guard ever!! i remember year after year of wasting big Dave's career with ty pg after ty pg. from Cory to Negele and AJ. Thank god Timmy got TP for his career. Best Spurs point guard ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much stupid hate for TP on this forum, but the fact is he's been a superb Spur. In his prime he was the best PG in the NBA, regularly owning CP3 and DWill in h2h matchups, and often carrying the team through the down years (2008-2012). And he thoroughly deserved the MVP in 2007.

Props to TP for still being here 15 years later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this... but I have a bias since I'm a huge Parker fan, tbh
    Put down the ing burrito and lose some weight then gordo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Put down the ing burrito and lose some weight then gordo.
    , I lost 30 lbs since January, I'm swimming on the weekends, best shape I've been in a while, tbh... still need to lose another 10-20 lbs, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , I lost 30 lbs since January, I'm swimming on the weekends, best shape I've been in a while, tbh... still need to lose another 10-20 lbs, tbh...
    What are swimming for, you already crossed the river man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are swimming for, you already crossed the river man.
    I still have family overseas, tbh, they might need help...

Thread Information