Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Help me out here. WTF has KD ever done to deserve a pitch like that? Especially when Tim's teammate KL has a Finals MVP and two DPOY awards? I mean seriously. I understand KD won a league MVP and is a of an offensive player, but what the has he ever won in his life besides that? He's gone to the Finals once, got punked and outmuscled by Lebron James and then led his team to an epic collapse this year against the GSW.

Nah, you bring Tim along to personally vouch that for the entirety of his career the organization has been consistent in creating a winning culture and doing everything possible to compete at the highest level. That they've valued his and other players' long term health over short term team success. That you may not win a 'Chip every year but with the system in place - a system that can evolve and change depending on personnel - you will always have a chance.

All this "take over the throne" stuff is bull . That's not how the Spurs operate.
    Good pitch.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Help me out here. WTF has KD ever done to deserve a pitch like that? Especially when Tim's teammate KL has a Finals MVP and two DPOY awards? I mean seriously. I understand KD won a league MVP and is a of an offensive player, but what the has he ever won in his life besides that? He's gone to the Finals once, got punked and outmuscled by Lebron James and then led his team to an epic collapse this year against the GSW.

Nah, you bring Tim along to personally vouch that for the entirety of his career the organization has been consistent in creating a winning culture and doing everything possible to compete at the highest level. That they've valued his and other players' long term health over short term team success. That you may not win a 'Chip every year but with the system in place - a system that can evolve and change depending on personnel - you will always have a chance.

All this "take over the throne" stuff is bull . That's not how the Spurs operate.

We'll everything you said falls under "take over the throne". If KD comes to SA regardless what was said that's exactly what will be happening.

What else do you need explained?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll everything you said falls under "take over the throne". If KD comes to SA regardless what was said that's exactly what will be happening.

What else do you need explained?
    I don't necessarily agree. If he comes here I don't think its with the understanding that he's "the man". Tim Duncan was in a class of his own. He was someone you could build a franchise around. He was a once in a generation type of a player. KD isn't that. He's another piece along with Kawhi Leonard and Aldridge. What it says is that no one person is bigger than the team. Hey KD, we think you are great, you would be great for this team and you'll get the support you need to win Championships.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's more likely to happen..

*Pop, Duncan, KD and Kawhi go into a room *

Come play for us..

KD: Tell me why I should do that?

We play basketball, you play basketball.

KD: How would it work? Who's coming back? What plan do you have?

How does anything work? You put your shoes on and play basketball. In order to afford you we'd have to move some guys so Danny will be gone, Boris and Patty. So the team basically round out to Tony, Kawhi, You, LaMarcus and possibly Tim.. if not then some vet minimum center or Pau Gasol. The only plan that we have is trying to win basketball games. You're a great player so I don't think you'd have to worry about finding your opportunities.

KD: Are you coming back Tim?

TD: Maybe... You do know I'm 40 right? Not going to really be a game changer in the rotation? I mean I can still dominate Spencer Hawes

Well, there you have it.. Anything you want to add Kawhi?

KL: Nope..

Stick to your day job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll start by saying I have no idea what the Spurs are thinking. But if the KD meeting is still taking place and Duncan is going to be apart of it...IMO this would be the ideal pitch to KD.

Tim Duncan is retiring. He's going on this trip to break the news to KD face to face before the rest of the world knows. Duncan will then tell KD he personally wants him to take over and sit on his throne and continue the Spurs legacy. A living legend telling you he wants YOU to take over his franchise..I wonder how that'd resonate with KD. Maybe he wants to play with Duncan or maybe he's honored enough to accept it.

If it goes down like this the media won't rip KD at all. They would probably praise him and think how cool it was and again how can you say no to Tim Duncan? Again I dunno if this is true or not just a thought..but I do think it could work and would be cool and easier to accept that Duncan is gone forever.

GSG
    lol no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait... wait. Are you saying Kawhi is Fredo? How does that correlate?
    LMA, I get as Tom. He's in, but not truly IN, despite any good advice, but Kawhi as Fredo?

The Kiss of Death?
    It was all a joke.

Well, Kawhi is competent (unlike Fredo) but if the OP's pitch were on the level Kawhi might resent being passed over as Fredo did. Then you get scenes like this:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all of this is irrelevant as long as parker is still in uniform at the start of the season

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't necessarily agree. If he comes here I don't think its with the understanding that he's "the man". Tim Duncan was in a class of his own. He was someone you could build a franchise around. He was a once in a generation type of a player. KD isn't that. He's another piece along with Kawhi Leonard and Aldridge. What it says is that no one person is bigger than the team. Hey KD, we think you are great, you would be great for this team and you'll get the support you need to win Championships.

Ok. But do you think Duncan is retiring? All signs point to yes right? If he's there at the meeting tomorrow he literally doesn't have to say a word and the message would still be clear. Why would Duncan be there if he's retiring? What is he pitching to him? Why? Whether you think KD has the credentials or if it's a slap in the face to Kawhi or not. But when a living legend steps down and a top 3 player in the league takes his place..without actually saying "pass of the torch" I dunno what else it'd signify lol

Let's say KD does sign but Duncan retires..even if my OP wasn't said at the meeting..how would the media, fans etc. portray it? I think it's pretty obvious to me but apparently not lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok. But do you think Duncan is retiring? All signs point to yes right? If he's there at the meeting tomorrow he literally doesn't have to say a word and the message would still be clear. Why would Duncan be there if he's retiring? What is he pitching to him? Why? Whether you think KD has the credentials or if it's a slap in the face to Kawhi or not. But when a living legend steps down and a top 3 player in the league takes his place..without actually saying "pass of the torch" I dunno what else it'd signify lol

Let's say KD does sign but Duncan retires..even if my OP wasn't said at the meeting..how would the media, fans etc. portray it? I think it's pretty obvious to me but apparently not lol.

I think Tim is still uncertain what his future is. He is the longest tenured Spur, the one person who has been the face of the franchise for nearly 20 years, who can speak to what it means to play for the Spurs organization. That's why I don't see it as "here's the keys to the car" if Tim is retiring.

Tim and Pop spoke with LMA last year and will probably discuss the same types of things. Environment, team philosophy, accountability, etc.. Perhaps Pop tells KD - this is how we see you fitting with what we have in place.

I seriously doubt KD is leaving OKC this year. This is all about next year for him. Tim will most likely be gone and may not be available to talk to as a reference. Im just speculating. And as long as he isn't retired yet, he feels he wants to be a part of this process.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll start by saying I have no idea what the Spurs are thinking. But if the KD meeting is still taking place and Duncan is going to be apart of it...IMO this would be the ideal pitch to KD.

Tim Duncan is retiring. He's going on this trip to break the news to KD face to face before the rest of the world knows. Duncan will then tell KD he personally wants him to take over and sit on his throne and continue the Spurs legacy. A living legend telling you he wants YOU to take over his franchise..I wonder how that'd resonate with KD. Maybe he wants to play with Duncan or maybe he's honored enough to accept it.

If it goes down like this the media won't rip KD at all. They would probably praise him and think how cool it was and again how can you say no to Tim Duncan? Again I dunno if this is true or not just a thought..but I do think it could work and would be cool and easier to accept that Duncan is gone forever.

GSG
    Sounds nothing like the Spurs; and TD would not throw LMA and Kawhi under the bus like that. If KD comes here, it truly has to be about rings and not his ego.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Tim is still uncertain what his future is. He is the longest tenured Spur, the one person who has been the face of the franchise for nearly 20 years, who can speak to what it means to play for the Spurs organization. That's why I don't see it as "here's the keys to the car" if Tim is retiring.

Tim and Pop spoke with LMA last year and will probably discuss the same types of things. Environment, team philosophy, accountability, etc.. Perhaps Pop tells KD - this is how we see you fitting with what we have in place.

I seriously doubt KD is leaving OKC this year. This is all about next year for him. Tim will most likely be gone and may not be available to talk to as a reference. Im just speculating. And as long as he isn't retired yet, he feels he wants to be a part of this process.

That's a terrible way to go about things tbh. KD is going to ask if Duncan is retiring or not. And if he's not sure then that's not a good look. You sell one way or the other. And I'm totally not buying this "next year" crap floating around the media. Things will be different and the landscape of teams are unpredictable. Take Riley pitch to LMA last year for example..look what's happened since then. Bosh could literally retire, Whiteside became a max guy and there isn't enough $$ to go around to keep Wade happy. He's taking meetings with teams looking for a long term plan NOW.

OKC is literally in panic mode trying to clear cap space for Horford. Who btw would have to take less $$ and there is uncertainty with Westbrook and KD future which is a tough sell. And who signs first? KD or Horford? You'd think one won't sign unless the other commits? And if KD is going to sign a plus one... ing do it already and then go convince Horford to come etc...

Boston, GSW and SA don't have to worry about ..their long term plans are already in place and Horford can even tag along to Boston if he wanted to tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds nothing like the Spurs; and TD would not throw LMA and Kawhi under the bus like that. If KD comes here, it truly has to be about rings and not his ego.

Then don't even visit KD. Because if he signs here he's the new face of the Spurs regardless of Kawhi or LMA..

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then don't even visit KD. Because if he signs here he's the new face of the Spurs regardless of Kawhi or LMA..
    KL was what; 2nd in MVP voting last season? Their pitch is not gonna be 'come here and be thee man.'
    Last edited by Spurtacular; 06-30-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KL was what; 2nd in MVP voting last season? Their pitch is not gonna be 'come here and be thee man.'
    But he would...doesn't matter about what Kawhi did last year. He's the Pippen to KD. KD has 300M from a shoe company..national commercials..jersey sales are more.

I love Kawhi and the sky is the limit but he's not KD.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But he would...doesn't matter about what Kawhi did last year. He's the Pippen to KD. KD has 300M from a shoe company..national commercials..jersey sales are more.

I love Kawhi and the sky is the limit but he's not KD.
    No. Spurs or any other smart team don't make their decisions based on what Under Armor or State Farm or whomever is paying. KD is Jordan in that example? Dunno about that either. Like I say, we can debate who is better; who is 1A or 1B or just flat out better; but that's not something the Spurs are going to predetermine at the Hamptons; it's just not. They're not going to disrespect Kawhi or Aldridge for that matter like that. The pitch will be you can accomplish everything you want while playing in the best system with two unselfish fellow superstars. If KD pulls down an MVP instead of Kawhi, then so beit. But the reverse could happen, and the Spurs ain't gonna dis Kawhi like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a terrible way to go about things tbh. KD is going to ask if Duncan is retiring or not. And if he's not sure then that's not a good look. You sell one way or the other.
    No one puts Timmy in a corner. Honestly, and I know this sounds terrible, but with all due respect to the GOAT, Tim will not be the difference between the Spurs winning a Championship or not anymore. As such, him playing will not mean as much to players who represent the future of the franchise. KD would be part of a new "Big 3". Tim, Tony and Manu are now very important support players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Spurs or any other smart team don't make their decisions based on what Under Armor or State Farm or whomever is paying. KD is Jordan in that example? Dunno about that either. Like I say, we can debate who is better; who is 1A or 1B or just flat out better; but that's not something the Spurs are going to predetermine at the Hamptons; it's just not. They're not going to disrespect Kawhi or Aldridge for that matter like that. The pitch will be you can accomplish everything you want while playing in the best system with two unselfish fellow superstars. If KD pulls down an MVP instead of Kawhi, then so beit. But the reverse could happen, and the Spurs ain't gonna dis Kawhi like that.

You're missing the point. It's not about who's better even tho I think this postseason put an end to that. It's about the perspective from the outside world. If KD comes to the Spurs and Duncan retires what will the narrative be?

Also...yes inside Spurs doors nothing matters it's all TEAM I totally get that. But if he comes to the Spurs he pretty much insures the Spurs as le contenders for 4-5 years. If Duncan retires and KD doesn't sign....hate to say it but the Spurs era of dominance is looking slim..

Y'all take so literally and can't comprehend the bigger picture

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one puts Timmy in a corner. Honestly, and I know this sounds terrible, but with all due respect to the GOAT, Tim will not be the difference between the Spurs winning a Championship or not anymore. As such, him playing will not mean as much to players who represent the future of the franchise. KD would be part of a new "Big 3". Tim, Tony and Manu are now very important support players.
    I know you don't corner Tim. But I'm pretty sure he's made up his mind and I'd bet it's going to be answered in the meeting. Either way it's a selling point.

"I'm coming back and what you to be apart of my last run/ le" or "I'm retiring but would like you join the family I pretty much built"

If KD signs and Timmy does retire..Its more of a selling point of Durants camp to the media than it would be for the Spurs.

Do I literally think Duncan will say "Take the keys"? Probably not.. But if he does sign I don't care what anyone says that's what's happening lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the HEB commercial ones is the best one thus far...

Thread Information