Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone having a dog whistle negative response to this because it's coming from Warren didn't read what she said. If she could get a campaign behind this in a real way, I'd be behind that campaign (I'm sure both parties are anxiously awaiting my endorsement). I will be very surprised if Hillary goes this direction at all. Trust busting is the absolute opposite of what I would expect from her (hope I'm wrong). There's a chance Trump might, but I don't have any confidence he's paying any attention, or cares.
    Well, seems like big business is not keen on Trump's trade policies and going toward Hillary so I doubt she will be trust-busting.

Clinton campaign was actively reaching out to industry leaders across the political spectrum. Former Walmart executive Leslie Dach has been involved in outreach efforts to business leaders on the campaign's behalf, according to a source familiar with Dach's role.
    Clinton aides acknowledge the split between Trump and the business community presents an opportunity to gain allies, winning over Republican-leaning interests or at least persuading them to stay neutral...

"So the fact that you've got Republican CEOs endorsing Hillary is remarkable."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/05/politi...rump-business/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point, didn't realize the business was THAT small. Broker should be replaced, if he/she knew what was going on.
    Virtually all small companies are lean, mean machines - they have to be - to survive. In contrast, dh's current job is with a federal contractor - talk about gross waste, incompetency and inefficiency of government - it's DISGUSTING - particularly so coming from a mostly small company background.
    Last edited by rmt; 07-05-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll share another personal example of big corp gobbling up small business. I LOVE a reading app called STANZA - been using it for years now. Amazon bought it out - wanted to push Kindle and didn't want to deal with the compe ion. But I love this product so much (don't like Kindle or iBooks) - I do a lot of reading (romance novels, English lit, etc.) - it's what I use my phone mostly for - but can't upgrade my iPhone because the later versions don't support STANZA. So now I'm stuck with iPhone 4 - can't do Trivia Crack with my dh, can't do QuizUp with my kids, can't buy/sell stocks on the road - what a trade off. Hubby says he'll write a STANZA like app for me so I can upgrade my phone (when he retires) - lol - when will that be.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll share another personal example of big corp gobbling up small business. I LOVE a reading app called STANZA - been using it for years now. Amazon bought it out - wanted to push Kindle and didn't want to deal with the compe ion. But I love this product so much - I do a lot of reading (romance novels, English lit, etc.) - it's what I use my phone mostly for - but can't upgrade my iPhone because the later versions don't support STANZA. So now I'm stuck with iPhone 4 - can't do Trivia Crack with my dh, can't do QuizUp with my kids, can't buy/sell stocks on the road - what a trade off. Hubby says he'll write a STANZA like app for me so I can upgrade my phone (when he retires) - lol - when will that be.
    but "government is the problem", right?

St Ronnie the Diseased mouthed that VRWC/BigCorp LIE 35 years ago, and you believe it as the Bible truth.

Barnes and Noble bought a book stored in San Antonio called Book Stop. A very serious bookstore, in a great neighborhood, good staff, etc.

B&N bought it and closed it, but "government is the problem", right? Now Book Stop clients have no local bookstore, and other businesses in that commercial center have less traffic. B-S clients now have to drive miles to get to B&N mega store.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

St Ronnie the Diseased mouthed that VRWC/BigCorp LIE 35 years ago, and you believe it as the Bible truth.

Barnes and Noble bought a book stored in San Antonio called Book Stop. A very serious bookstore, in a great neighborhood, good staff, etc.

B&N bought it and closed it, but "government is the problem", right? Now Book Stop clients have no local bookstore, and other businesses in that commercial center have less traffic. B-S clients now have to drive miles to get to B&N mega store.
    boutons, that post has nothing to do with government. I was just sharing - sigh. Probably even B&N will close down because of compe ion from Amazon - about the only reason I go there is if ds needs a book and forgets to tell me until the evening before.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably even B&N will close down because of compe ion from Amazon

btw, that Book Stop store, I think the original one was in Austin, was a small business destroyed by BigCorp.

but "government is the problem", right? (your blatant position throughout this thread)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

btw, that Book Stop store, I think the original one was in Austin, was a small business destroyed by BigCorp.

but "government is the problem", right? (your blatant position throughout this thread)

boutons, you are putting words in my mouth. Look, I comment on the article and I'm HOUNDED by you people. Winehole asks me a question which I answered and then I happen to share something in my life relating to the subject - not criticizing government at all in that post and then another comment in response to your comment and you're still hounding me. Lighten up and celebrate Hillary's lack of indictment - uh-oh, maybe I shouldn't have added that - I'll be accused of blaming the government :-) Maybe I'll just shut up for the rest of the day and celebrate NUGT hitting 155.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    boutons, you are putting words in my mouth. Look, I comment on the article and I'm HOUNDED by you people. Winehole asks me a question which I answered and then I happen to share something in my life relating to the subject - not criticizing government at all in that post and then another comment in response to your comment and you're still hounding me. Lighten up and celebrate Hillary's lack of indictment - uh-oh, maybe I shouldn't have added that - I'll be accused of blaming the government :-) Maybe I'll just shut up for the rest of the day and celebrate NUGT hitting 155.

Boots wants you to clearly state that government and its lawmaking should bust up big companies who gobble up compe ors.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boots ths wants you to clearly state that government laws should bust up big companies who gobble up compe ors.
    Unregulated businesses and capital owning and operating govt for their predatory profiteering must be solved some way because they are a bigger threat than Muslim terrorism.

What's your solution?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Trump visits Unions, etc... He could make big progress in this area. But he goes around anti-trust and mainly attacks free trade through xenophobia. It's probably going to work to a degree. Trump likes Oligarchy. He admires Putin and friends. He deals with Oligarchs in China.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unregulated businesses and capital owning and operating govt for their predatory profiteering must be solved some way because they are a bigger threat than Muslim terrorism.

What's your solution?
    Governments making precise rules that dont have unintended consequences.
    My post to rmt has nothing to do with my opinion on the subject boots. It's my opinion of what you want her to say.

And we should not make out like small businesses are angels either. Small businesses can be quite good at avoiding taxes. Like making up that will never be checked as legit deductions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Trump visits Unions, etc... He could make big progress in this area. But he goes around anti-trust and mainly attacks free trade through xenophobia. It's probably going to work to a degree. Trump likes Oligarchy. He admires Putin and friends. He deals with Oligarchs in China.
    Trash will lie to unions about "bringing jobs back from overseas" because he ing knows (or just maybe he's too ing stupid and ignorant to know) he can't reverse BigCorp's 40-year SUCCESSFUL push for globalization and relentless trashing and busting of unions.

Globalization has raised overseas workers incomes a little bit from VERY low down, while exporting from USA, destroying good paying jobs in USA.

One result? White Americans' mortality rate due to drugs, alcohol, and suicides has been rising, unique among all developed countries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unions help trash and bust themselves as well. People got put in a position of power and they took just like many big organizations that choose the wrong leaders.

And we have become a nation of consumers with no conscience, this goes for poorer folks as well. People have bought into instant self gratification and striving for material goods. People from all class levels.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What's your solution?
    I own a small business. There's tons of regulation on me. It's the single most significant factor making
    it difficult for me to compete with bigger concerns and their accountants and lawyers. I get offers to be bought on a nearly weekly basis. Their pitches almost always include a "we'll take all those hassles off your hands."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very good discussion of this yet again on NPR OnPoint last night in San Antonio. 7pm

They also touched on Trump's popularity due to leaders not reading the electorate properly.
    Winehole touched on this subject in another thread. it is the theme of would be Democrat blue collar workers turning to Trump. Latching on to xenophobia. The same theme in Brexit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with much of what the article says but here are two personal examples where either government is partly responsible for burdening small business or its high tax rate is helping to cause the consolidation/merger of companies.
    The coordinating conjunction sets off the following as contrast or contradiction, but the examples cited straightforwardly support Warren's thesis about consolidation, about why it's bad, and about who is responsible.

My husband accepted a job offer from a small company and the office manager/HR person told us that they allowed $700 for health insurance. We could either choose to use it to pay for the health insurance they had or use it to buy health insurance elsewhere. I, you all know, hate Obamacare and knew that being allowed the freedom to buy whatever insurance I wanted with that $700 would not be allowed - and sure enough, if caught, this small company would have to pay $100 PER DAY PER EMPLOYEE. The poor HR lady was flabbergasted - this error, if caught, would shut the company down. I'm relatively sure that her next request was to ask the boss if they could afford a lawyer/CPA to check if they were violating any other rule.

He also worked for the drug company Actavis. Rumor went around that Allergan was acquiring Actavis, not for any drug Actavis had, but simply because of tax reasons. Actavis had re-organized in Ireland and paid less taxes. That merger/take over took place fine. Then Pfizer tried to take over Allergan for the same reason. Unfortunately for them, the government got wind of it and put in new rules and well, in effect, stopped the merger because if there was no tax advantage, there was no reason to merge. I am in favor of lowering the corporate tax rate so that these companies have no reason to merge/run to Ireland/Canada (Burger King)/wherever (and close off the loopholes) - but just the mere mention of that gets most of you up in arms (tee hee).
    In many previous threads on corporate taxes, lowering the corporate rate came up without anyone pulling a gun...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191741
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135561
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150176
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254514
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252960
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194618

What Warren doesn't say is that government rules/regulations/policies/laws are partly responsible for creating the problem in the first place - that a Democrat law like Obamacare has DECREASED compe ion e.g. Alaska now has only one health insurance company available on the exchange and BCBS has pulled out of Minnesota.
    Actually, Warren does think the government has a role in creating the problem. She does not put the focus on Obamacare, it is true, but I'm not sure that weakens her argument, it only mean's she's a Democrat and likes Obamacare.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And she doesn't think that government with its myriad of rules and regulations is partly responsible for putting burden on small business where only the large corps can afford to hire the lawyers and accountants just to comply with them?
    Big businesses push for more regulation when they profit from it and for less regulation when they profit from it. And yes small businesses usually suffer the results the most.

In the end it should not by about more regulation or less regulation, it should be about better regulation. Of course no politician dares to run on that premise, because then they would have to answer question what that better regulation would look like. It's easier to just say "more" or "less", and leave it to the people to project their own desires on that. Plus that way you can still make the sponsors happy, because they want both anyway, and you keep the "promise" to the people at the same time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This and the disastrous free trade agreements are the biggest issues facing the American workforce today. No doubt.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This and the disastrous free trade agreements are the biggest issues facing the American workforce today. No doubt.
    The trashing and crushing of the unions (united we stand) means BigCorp can screw individuals (divided we fall), cutting pay, benefits, pensions, jobs, has been going for 45 years as fundamental plank the VRWC strategy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like Barrycare, but the article starts with a premise that's completely unproven...

Has she checked with the White House? The logic of ObamaCare is that larger and more integrated conglomerates are superior to a market with many insurers, doctors and hospitals vying for consumer business. The law promotes corporatism on the theory that larger systems are more efficient, but also because giants are easier to control politically and will standardize care as ordered.

AFAIK, there's nothing in Barrycare about that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like Barrycare, but the article starts with a premise that's completely unproven...

Has she checked with the White House? The logic of ObamaCare is that larger and more integrated conglomerates are superior to a market with many insurers, doctors and hospitals vying for consumer business. The law promotes corporatism on the theory that larger systems are more efficient, but also because giants are easier to control politically and will standardize care as ordered.

AFAIK, there's nothing in Barrycare about that.
    it's WSJ. of course, it's pure anti-ACA bull . Since when is WSJ pro-compe ion, in any sense except lip service?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Small businesses are much more hurt by BigCorp forming small businesses that have the resources to steal gov contracts that government regulations say must go to small businesses.

BigCorp s over small businesses every day. In the last couple of years, the rate of number of business failure has exceeded rate of business starups.

Another huge impediment is small businesses that can't compete with insanely overloaded benefits that BigCorps use to consume all the best talent.

Those benefit packages are golden chains that keep talented but unhappy employees from leaving.

A lots small businesses can't get loans, and when they can, the rate is "sub-prime" compared to what BigCorp pays.

Every time you put post here, you prove you don't have ing clue.
    complete fraud by BigCorp, aided and abetted by a compliant, corrupt? SBA

Giant Corporations Are Reaping Billions From Federal “Small Business” Contracts

In 2015, according to a recent lawsuit by an advocacy group for actual small businesses, the SBA counted contracts with 150 other Fortune 500 companies in its fulfillment of the federal government's small business contracting obligations.

"The Small Business Administration has become perverted," says Lloyd Chapman, founder of the American Small Business League, which filed the suit in May. "At some point their mission changed to helping the government and contractors cir vent the Small Business Act."

"The Small Business Act is the largest economic stimulus program for the middle class in US history," Chapman proclaims. "And we are its protectors."

Indeed, his and other watchdog groups have repeatedly accused the SBA of failing to fulfill its original mission. Under the law, the agency is required to ensure that at least 23 percent of federal contract money goes to small businesses. The actual figure, Chapman calculates, is around 4 percent, a difference of hundreds billions of dollars each year.

The SBA argues that actual misreporting of small business contracts is rare, and insists that it is not the fault of its employees. The corporate behemoths may simply ignore the requirement to recertify the size of the firms they acquire. Additionally, Clements said, "There is always the possibility of human error" when the government's contracting officers record a company’s data. (Chapman counters that if human errors were to blame, then the small firms would get misclassified as large ones, too—and nobody in his group has ever seen that happen.)

Every year since 2005, the SBA's Office of the Inspector General has ranked "small business contracting" as the agency’s most serious management challenge. "As an advocate for small business, SBA should strive to ensure that only eligible small firms obtain and perform small business awards,"

In arriving at its 23 percent figure, the agency does not include any contracts for work performed outside the United States or in service of 27 different federal agencies, including the Postal Service, the federal courts, the NSA, and the CIA. It also excludes a large amount of contract spending related to Medicare, Medicaid, and veterans' health. Finally, it doesn't count contracts commissioned by state and local agencies using federal grant money.

the SBA's exclusions cover the majority of federal discretionary spending, according to an analysis by law professor Charles Tiefer, an expert on government contracts at the University of Baltimore. Tiefer calculates that, in 2011, the SBA excluded $677 billion worth of federal grants and contracts from $1.1 trillion in overall spending, which allowed the agency to claim that 22 percent of the contracting dollars went to small businesses that year.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/07/fortune-500-corporations-federal-small-business-contracts-administration-lawsuit

SMB are the real job creators, no BigCorp that is primarily interested in eliminating as many (US-based) employees as possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The minority set asides are even a bigger scam.

They "pay to play" and get contracting officers to divert the paperwork to them so it's easy for the contracting officers to meet their quotas.

It works like this:

Lets say Lackland or Randolph need something (material, or a turn key job done)

The guys at the base call me.

I meet or talk with with the guys at the base, they give me the specifications, I give them a price.

Then a couple weeks later I get a call from one of these minority resellers giving me a purchase order.

I do all the work or supply the material working directly with the guys at the base.

When I am done, the guys at the base accept the material/job.

I then bill the minority reseller.

They take my invoice, mark it up 25% and bill the government.

The only thing they do for that 25% is issue a PO and issue a check. They never leave the office except to keep bribing the contracting officers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obamacare was supposed to make insurance markets more compe ive and it hasn't. First UnitedHealth pulled out of a number of states - now Humana. The health insurance companies are merging and Obama's DOJ is trying to stop them. Government and its unintended consequences - thought the article fit here better than the usual Obamacare thread.

Thread Information