Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last question. Would type of contract would Gasol need to agree to with extended years and what type of deal would Paul have to sign in order for the Spurs to keep Green and Parker?
    I won't know for sure until the numbers come out. Assuming the $27-Million figure is correct, then they have to share $42 Million. However they'd do that is irrelevant.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WB should sign with the Warriors for the league minimum just to piss Durant off.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won't know for sure until the numbers come out. Assuming the $27-Million figure is correct, then they have to share $42 Million. However they'd do that is irrelevant.
    CP3- 4yr/120M

Gasol- 2yr/24M or 3yr/36M

Seems fair to me lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Either we trade Kawhi or we wait unti 2017.
    Not going to happen so good point....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Westbrook and Parker could work defensively, but offensively, the spacing would be poor.

Landing a player of Paul's or Westbrook's magnitude would likely lead to a Parker trade. This is probably the one scenario he doesn't finish his career as a Spur in. Obviously, it would still hurt him, but I think he'd be more understanding if it were a future Hall-of-Famer as opposed to a good, but nothing special type, like Conley.

If they can't land one of them, this is all the more reason why Holiday makes sense though: He can play with Parker on both sides of the ball.
    As Parker ages he will need to find a 3 point shot. He doesn't need to be Curry or anything, he just needs to knock down catch and shoots. He's been over 40% in consecutive seasons albeit on limited attempts, I think it's achievable. I'm certain he realises it and is working hard to add it to his game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if he'd be willing to take less to join up. I haven't run the numbers yet, but I'm estimating that the Spurs would have something like $27 Million if Gasol opts in. Assuming the new CBA discussions don't change anything, Paul's max is actually close to $36 Million. It's hard to sell a 75-percent paycut. It's possible that team trades Green and moves Murray into the starting lineup. The young'un better be ready to D up, though.

Paul, Parker
    Murray, (whichever guard wins the 14th slot in camp or some call-up)
    Kawhi, Bertans
    Aldridge, Anderson, LJC
    Gasol, (whichever big wins the 15 spot in camp, or some call up)

That's what they'd be looking at with the draft, room exception and min deals still in play. Use the pick on the best defensive wing available and bring over Milutinov, and you have yourself a decent bench behind a potentially great starting unit.
    If Gasol opts in we can just trade him somewhere. We can make it clear to him that if he opts in he's getting traded to whoever will have him, contender or not, and he'll opt out. The only danger is that it means burning that bridge before we talk to free agents, but I don't think the Spurs are going places with Gasol/Aldridge together so I'd rather he opt out regardless. If it's a choice between trading Green or Pau it's a simple one.

As far CP3s salary, the money won't be the deciding factor. The will have made $160m and never been to a conference final, it's rings he wants not money. Besides $27m may be less than his max but it's hardly a paycut, it's $5m more than he'll be making this season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As Parker ages he will need to find a 3 point shot. He doesn't need to be Curry or anything, he just needs to knock down catch and shoots. He's been over 40% in consecutive seasons albeit on limited attempts, I think it's achievable. I'm certain he realises it and is working hard to add it to his game.
    This has been a talking point for a while, but he never actually ups the volume to any notable degree. Last season should have really been the starting point for that because he was no longer the number one option offensively, yet it was more of the same.

This summer, between the Olympic qualifying tournament and the Olympics themselves, I doubt he's going to put much work into improving anything specifically. He's probably more concerned with getting through it in one piece.

No chance Paul takes a cent less than the max or that they'd trade Green. I know Paul's friends with Parker, but it's obvious the pairing couldn't work. If they're able to lure him (as I've said, it probably only happens if the Clippers prefer and are able to lure Westbrook), Parker's gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has been a talking point for a while, but he never actually ups the volume to any notable degree. Last season should have really been the starting point for that because he was no longer the number one option offensively, yet it was more of the same.

This summer, between the Olympic qualifying tournament and the Olympics themselves, I doubt he's going to put much work into improving anything specifically. He's probably more concerned with getting through it in one piece.

No chance Paul takes a cent less than the max or that they'd trade Green. I know Paul's friends with Parker, but it's obvious the pairing couldn't work. If they're able to lure him (as I've said, it probably only happens if the Clippers prefer and are able to lure Westbrook), Parker's gone.
    I would be amazed if Paul left the Clippers and took a max salary. Which contender has that kind of money to spend? Certainly not us, the Cavs or Warriors. Where's he gonna go, the Jazz? He'll want a contender and we're the only team with cap space that is even close to the Warriors or Cavs. I guess he could go back to New Orleans but that place has been a dumpster fire since he left, it's the KG Wolves all over again.

As for Parkers 3's, I think he doesn't up the volume because he's still the primary ball handler. I don't want him upping his volume on pull up 3s, if we bring in someone new to run the team we can move him off the ball and getting more catch-and-shoot looks which I expect he'll hit efficiently.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be amazed if Paul left the Clippers and took a max salary. Which contender has that kind of money to spend? Certainly not us, the Cavs or Warriors. Where's he gonna go, the Jazz? He'll want a contender and we're the only team with cap space that is even close to the Warriors or Cavs. I guess he could go back to New Orleans but that place has been a dumpster fire since he left, it's the KG Wolves all over again.

As for Parkers 3's, I think he doesn't up the volume because he's still the primary ball handler. I don't want him upping his volume on pull up 3s, if we bring in someone new to run the team we can move him off the ball and getting more catch-and-shoot looks which I expect he'll hit efficiently.
    Other than James, Wade and Bosh, who literally had to do it to make it work financially, every significant free agent that changes teams gets the max. They're already giving up the extra year by changing teams and let's face it, the true superstars in the NBA are the most underpaid athletes in professional sports as is and they know it. They probably want the max on principal alone.

As I said, signing Paul would mean trading Parker, in which case the Spurs would have the max. Besides, clearing up space to facilitate the signing of a significant free agent has never been an issue for any team.

I know Parker is still the primary ball handler, but between Leonard taking on more ball handling/creating and his and Aldridge's post ups, in theory, Parker should have been able to get more catch-and-shoots last season, yet the volume remained low.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than James, Wade and Bosh, who literally had to do it to make it work financially, every significant free agent that changes teams gets the max. They're already giving up the extra year by changing teams and let's face it, the true superstars in the NBA are the most underpaid athletes in professional sports as is and they know it. They probably want the max on principal alone.

As I said, signing Paul would mean trading Parker, in which case the Spurs would have the max. Besides, clearing up space to facilitate the signing of a significant free agent has never been an issue for any team.

I know Parker is still the primary ball handler, but between Leonard taking on more ball handling/creating and his and Aldridge's post ups, in theory, Parker should have been able to get more catch-and-shoots last season, yet the volume remained low.
    NFL players say hi

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NFL players say hi
    NFL players don't have nearly the same value to their franchise as NBA superstars, who are the single most valuable assets in sports. I'm talking true, not pseudo, ones.

Besides, NFL players actually still makes the most money pro rated. Of course they don't in total, because their rosters are more than 3 times the size and they play less than fifth of the games.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NFL players don't have nearly the same value to their franchise as NBA superstars, who are the single most valuable assets in sports. I'm talking true, not pseudo, ones.

Besides, NFL players actually still makes the most money pro rated. Of course they don't in total, because their rosters are more than 3 times the size and they play less than fifth of the games.
    You can try to spin it anyway you want...but Evan Turner has almost as much guaranteed $$ coming his way as Andrew Luck. NBA players have shoe deals etc. Yes NFL players play less games but that's due to their bodies going through "car wrecks" every week...which leads to longevity. Longer careers mean more $$.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can try to spin it anyway you want...but Evan Turner has almost as much guaranteed $$ coming his way as Andrew Luck. NBA players have shoe deals etc. Yes NFL players play less games but that's due to their bodies going through "car wrecks" every week...which leads to longevity. Longer careers mean more $$.
    No reading comprehension. I said true NBA superstars, not random rotation players like Turner.

Everyone knows the reasons for the gap in games/rosters and they're not important in this case.

But that's why a guy like Turner has as much guaranteed money coming his way as Luck: The NBA money is being spread to 450 players, not whatever number the NFL has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously, you cannot compare NBA and NFL contracts at all.
    Completely different species and they don't mate. Too many differentials and laws and bylaws in their respective CBA's.

Terrible argument.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously, you cannot compare NBA and NFL contracts at all.
    Completely different species and they don't mate. Too many differentials and laws and bylaws in their respective CBA's.

Terrible argument.

I'm comparing $$ going into the athletes pockets. I even mentioned endorsements and shoe deals. NBA players make waaaay more $ than NFL players and it's not even close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm comparing $$ going into the athletes pockets. I even mentioned endorsements and shoe deals. NBA players make waaaay more $ than NFL players and it's not even close.
    Thumb's up friend. I got you now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we need him more than he needs us.

would be ecstatic with either he or cp3 on the team.

we're gonna be the favorites to sign cp3 when he opts out after the clippers lose in the playoffs again. he's gonna be tired of losing.
    If we need him more than he needs us, that's saying something considering the guy can't win a le.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we need him more than he needs us, that's saying something considering the guy can't win a le.
    No one guy wins a le...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one guy wins a le...
    True, but when you have an MVP, a stacked cast, and a good coach, there's not much else holding you back. Makes you think about letting the guy on your team that consistently shoots 40% have the most shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Spurs inquiring on Westbrook and the deals been talked about as "player centric" and they were asking for too much means, they most likely wanted Leonard plus a combo of others and picks.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Westbrook for Leonard straight up??? Lmao!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently they wouldnt take Anderson, Mills, and Parker for Westbrook. Shame.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even www.poundingtherock.com is playing with this idea:

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2016/...estbrook-spurs

--------------------------------------

shame on Durant for abandoning OKC, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Westbrook for Leonard straight up??? Lmao!!!!!
    I would have hung the phone up as soon as they said his name

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bucks had significant offer, backed off due to extension refusal. I keep telling people, Thunder have no power in this beyond what Westbrook deems them worthy of. Guy is not extending with his own team, let alone one he got traded too without approval. No way anyone believes in pawning their franchise for a one year rental. Brooklyn nostalgia will give anyone nightmares.

Westbrook is running his options, and he wont go to a team that became a bad team after giving up pieces for him AND extend. Thunder can front all they want, Westbrook is leaving and if they don't want to have a Durant scenario of getting nothing back, they'll eventually settle.

That or thunder upset the NBA and play beyond expectations for chance of getting extension.

Thread Information