Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they want to give it to him. Take it. Offseason moves are basically done anyway.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Manu's contribution will be bigger in the locker room and behind the scenes than on the court this year. And he'll be needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the biggest discount we could give the organization, tbh, considering they're family...

We're just going to have to make do with only 3 chauffeurs to take the kids to school, but we'll adjust.

You're all welcome, btw...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy . Let the guy walk and go play for Denver-

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

TheGreatYacht personality hard at work grinding that axe with his buds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong (I'm admittedly not extremely knowledgeable on these matters), but the amount Manu signs for has practically no effect on the Spurs' ability to go out and get other guys. They're already out of cap space regardless of what Manu signs for. I don't see why people would get so upset over this unless they're secretly paying Manu's salary or something.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Give" him 1% ownership of the team.
    I don't know if that's allowed in the CBA. I think the owners saw a slippery slope when what's his name did that for Magic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong (I'm admittedly not extremely knowledgeable on these matters), but the amount Manu signs for has practically no effect on the Spurs' ability to go out and get other guys. They're already out of cap space regardless of what Manu signs for. I don't see why people would get so upset over this unless they're secretly paying Manu's salary or something.
    Mostly correct. Once the salary went past $5.5 Million or so, it didn't matter. But below that was a big deal. Between $2.9 Million and $5.5 Million mean the Spurs had a bit of extra cap space. $2.9 Million or less meant the Spurs have a butt-ton of cap space.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Manu's contribution will be bigger in the locker room and behind the scenes than on the court this year. And he'll be needed.
    He's the Spurs best playing coach. Duncan and Boris are both gone remember!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh...they are using up their cap space to sign everyone else and then signing Manu using Bird rights to go over cap. Sure they'll take a cap hit, but this isn't stopping them from adding another major player. No big deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't get this new cap situation, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh...they are using up their cap space to sign everyone else and then signing Manu using Bird rights to go over cap. Sure they'll take a cap hit, but this isn't stopping them from adding another major player. No big deal.
    Boban didn't have bird rights?

I guess not... that was a dumb deal that Spurs staff spend so much effort training Boban only to have no rights to retain him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn

2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    call it interest on an overdue loan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boban didn't have bird rights?

I guess not... that was a dumb deal that Spurs staff spend so much effort training Boban only to have no rights to retain him.
    As much as I liked Boban, I am glad he is gone. He isn't going to last long. You can tell that his body isn't going to hold up. He was a fun garbage time novelty act but I would much rather have someone that can move and doesn't look like it hurts them to run the court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Duncan leaving Ginobili will be the de facto leader. This contract is pricey if we're just looking at on court contributions but considering his role in the locker room it's fine. 2013 Finals were a disaster but he's recovered from that.

I think we all have a distorted view of reality because of how much Duncan sacrificed but it speaks more to the greatness of Duncan rather than the perceived "greed" of Ginobili. This year his role will be the most important of his career with Duncan gone. Sure they could've gone through that PR nightmare like the Heat with Wade but why? The Spurs are still in contention.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if it isn't a loyalty payment. Worth every penny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad Manu is back. I wouldn't want to see the Spurs lose both Tim and Manu in the same offseason.

2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many of you calling him overpaid would have branded him a traitor for going elsewhere to get paid his market value when he was in his prime? He sacrificed money and his health to help win 4 rings.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Manu is worth $10 mil a year easily. Glad he's coming back, Ginobili and Parker will now have to assume a huge leadership, teaching role as the vets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for him! He has sacrificed for his entire career, he deserves everything he gets. Just like Tony and Timmy. Best big three of all time. ALL of them took pay cuts throughout their careers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol, new cap. Just because the cap is increased doesn't mean player's contracts automatically increase. Absolute stupidity.
    it's a loyalty check. kinda moronic to not see that, kinda moronic to think he doesn't deserve it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many of you calling him overpaid would have branded him a traitor for going elsewhere to get paid his market value when he was in his prime? He sacrificed money and his health to help win 4 rings.
    I get this argument. In fact, I used to support it. But after thinking about it, no team really owes its players that do that. They are giving up $ so they can get a ring. A lot of $. But if the ring wasn't important to them, they wouldn't do it. I'm not sure that they're owed anything other than respect.

We all have to make these choices. Take a job for more money or maybe stay in a better work environment. But most people at the end of their careers don't expect a pay bump just because they did turn down bigger money elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

TheGreatYacht personality hard at work grinding that axe with his buds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would you backseat GMs use the extra $5m or so that Ginobili took to have made a dent in the GSW conference le prospects in 2017?

Thread Information