Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Count me in. Can't defend, but otherwise I would be fine with him.
    I think in our team he could up his non-existant defense to "trying to play some" defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good take. I'm curious to know who your choice would be for a fourth big that's still available and would take the min?

If we're eliminating trade, and just talking about someone who I think would sign for the min? I don't think there's anyone we will be excited about. We've got a lot of vets, and even the young guys have solid experience (except Murray, of course). So with all that in mind, I've reached the point where I'd pretty much like to see them go ahead and give Jarnell Stokes a shot to amaze us. At least he would be highly motivated, compared to some worn-out older guy who's just biding his time and collecting one more paycheck. If he just isn't up to it, the Spurs can always look around for a mid-season trade opportunity.

I wasn't crazy about Stokes' lack of height and experience. But you can't look at things in a vacuum. Compared to the other choices, I think he's about a coin-toss. But at least there is some chance for him to have some upside, however remote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good take. I'm curious to know who your choice would be for a fourth big that's still available and would take the min?
    The only other possibility I have been able to think of is Joel Freeland. He has one year left on a two-year deal with CSKA, that doesn't have an early-out clause. But he had a calf injury last year, and CSKA had to bring in a replacement. They might... might... be interested in talking buyout. And if he's not going to get minutes with CSKA, he might like the thought of getting in on some of the salary insanity over here. That's a lot of ifs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems about as good as West.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems about as good as West.
    Probably not, Dwest can shoot from range. I would not be surprised if one of the reasons Lee doesn't work out for a lot of teams is that he clogs the lane for others since as far as GSH has enlightened us, he doesn't shoot anything outside of 5 ft... and even that is a stretch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we're eliminating trade, and just talking about someone who I think would sign for the min? I don't think there's anyone we will be excited about. We've got a lot of vets, and even the young guys have solid experience (except Murray, of course). So with all that in mind, I've reached the point where I'd pretty much like to see them go ahead and give Jarnell Stokes a shot to amaze us. At least he would be highly motivated, compared to some worn-out older guy who's just biding his time and collecting one more paycheck. If he just isn't up to it, the Spurs can always look around for a mid-season trade opportunity.

I wasn't crazy about Stokes' lack of height and experience. But you can't look at things in a vacuum. Compared to the other choices, I think he's about a coin-toss. But at least there is some chance for him to have some upside, however remote.
    Theres better coins to toss.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Theres better coins to toss.

LOL... well it may be a bad opinion, but it's MY opinion.

We always try to figure out what the the Spurs are going to do. It's one of those things you shouldn't think about too much, because it starts making less and less sense. There's always a few obvious moves that everybody knows. The rest we always get wrong anyway.

Guys like Stokes are always hard for me. He's too damned short for an NBA big man, and I know that. But I can't help the part of me that wants to pull for the underdog, and see some guy come out of nowhere and make good. If the plusses and minuses between two guys pretty much cancel out, I'd rather see a guy like Stokes get his shot. I guess that's why the Spurs' FO never take my suggestions, and why they got that restraining order.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect it would be for insurance, kinda like Kevin Martin last season? Wonder if they're just going to wait to mid-season again...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've always liked Lee since his days with the Knicks. He easily replaced D West veteran role with that minimum vet. Perfect fit to the small ball 2nd unit. Please sign him before FO starts thinking bringing Bonner back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've always liked Lee since his days with the Knicks. He easily replaced D West veteran role with that minimum vet. Perfect fit to the small ball 2nd unit. Please sign him before FO starts thinking bringing Bonner back.
    I don't know what is going on, not just with Lee, they have yet to sign LJC, Cady or any summer league big that was available. They definitely have to still be looking for someone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'd be a terrible fit with the second unit and on top of that can't play with Gasol either. I don't see a chance the Spurs are actually interested. They supposedly were interested in Bass, who's a different type of player and a better fit.

Second unit's offense would likely revolve around Manu/Dedmon PnR and Kyle/Simmons handling the ball some in which case Lee would only clog the lane for them. They'd also likely play at a faster pace, which makes Lee's fit even worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rather have lee than bass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think I would rather have had Bass over Lee. I am fine with the Spurs rolling with
    Mills-Manu-Simmons/Bertans-Anderson and Gasol/Dedmon off the bench.

Simmons and Anderson seem to be held in high regard by the Spurs, by playing KA at the four, it frees up minutes for Simmons to possibly play at the 3 and get consistent minutes and also makes it easier for Bertans to possibly get minutes at the backup 3.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need a garbage man. It's going to be between David Lee and Jarnell Stokes. I guess you could throw Thomas Robinson in there but he's got as many red flags as David Lee after only three years in the league.

Also, I'm a bit unsure how Lee can be called a mediocre rebounder when he's averaged 9 boards in 30 minutes per game over his career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'd be a terrible fit with the second unit and on top of that can't play with Gasol either. I don't see a chance the Spurs are actually interested. They supposedly were interested in Bass, who's a different type of player and a better fit.

Second unit's offense would likely revolve around Manu/Dedmon PnR and Kyle/Simmons handling the ball some in which case Lee would only clog the lane for them. They'd also likely play at a faster pace, which makes Lee's fit even worse.
    Your post leads to an interesting point: Any undersized frontline player signing with the Spurs presents the very-real danger of to Pop running them in disastrous lineups and trying to force the square peg all season long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, I'm a bit unsure how Lee can be called a mediocre rebounder when he's averaged 9 boards in 30 minutes per game over his career.
    Two years of stat padding on a bad team is part of it. Part of it is because almost 1/3 of his boards were on the offensive end, playing with bad shooters and a load of loose balls away from the basket. (The Knicks shot about .450 as a team those two years.) He's not a guy who can get in and root with the giants for offensive boards - he just isn't - but he still got them. And you know that Pop doesn't let guys hawk the offensive glass anyway. He wants them to release and get back to play defense. I know all that probably sounds fishy, but there's truth in it.

Those two years with the Knicks skew the numbers a bunch. Basically, he's just about the same height as Dejuan Blair, David West, and Malik Rose. Blair was a good rebounder, West in the middle, and Malik was not good. Basically, Lee rebounds just about like West. With the exception of those two seasons several years back, his RB numbers look a lot like West's. Here's what I think is more important: in '08-'09 he averaged 16 pts and 11.7 rebounds, and the Knicks were trying go give him away and couldn't find any takers. The next year he put up 20 pts and 11.7 rebounds and the Knicks were shopping the out of him at the deadline. The biggest thing - and I said it before - was that I kept seeing that when he was getting numbers, his teams weren't going so well. If he's stuck on the deep bench, and never comes off? Who gives a damn? But then again, they could hire me to do that.

For me, his numbers are like all those years that Bonner had the best +/- in a lot of games. It didn't mean what people wanted it to mean, and more Bonner time would not have meant more wins and bigger margins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two years of stat padding on a bad team is part of it. Part of it is because almost 1/3 of his boards were on the offensive end, playing with bad shooters and a load of loose balls away from the basket. (The Knicks shot about .450 as a team those two years.) He's not a guy who can get in and root with the giants for offensive boards - he just isn't - but he still got them. And you know that Pop doesn't let guys hawk the offensive glass anyway. He wants them to release and get back to play defense. I know all that probably sounds fishy, but there's truth in it.

Those two years with the Knicks skew the numbers a bunch. Basically, he's just about the same height as Dejuan Blair, David West, and Malik Rose. Blair was a good rebounder, West in the middle, and Malik was not good. Basically, Lee rebounds just about like West. With the exception of those two seasons several years back, his RB numbers look a lot like West's. Here's what I think is more important: in '08-'09 he averaged 16 pts and 11.7 rebounds, and the Knicks were trying go give him away and couldn't find any takers. The next year he put up 20 pts and 11.7 rebounds and the Knicks were shopping the out of him at the deadline. The biggest thing - and I said it before - was that I kept seeing that when he was getting numbers, his teams weren't going so well. If he's stuck on the deep bench, and never comes off? Who gives a damn? But then again, they could hire me to do that.

For me, his numbers are like all those years that Bonner had the best +/- in a lot of games. It didn't mean what people wanted it to mean, and more Bonner time would not have meant more wins and bigger margins.
    If you look at his per-36 numbers, his rebounding (offensive and defensive) are pretty much consistent. I certainly don't see two years of stat-padding.

Also, I don't really see it as a major ding to his career that the worst-run franchise in team sports history wanted to get rid of him. They were paying 45 million dollars to Tmac, Al Harrington and Eddy Curry, and still owed 10 million dollars to Cuttino Mobley, who never actually played for them due to his heart condition. Lee was the only guy who had any actual value to anyone.

Thread Information