Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bruh, midnightpulp lost all credibility when he tried to argue prince fielder is faster than cristiano ronaldo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. By general population standards, no. By professional "athlete" making millions of dollars a year standards, yes. Hence, it didn't fit into the "athlete" category of the chart you posted.
    Since when does body fat percentage define athleticism?

This guy probably has <7 percent body fat, and would lose decisively to an NFL linebacker with 20% body fat in a decathlon.

Oh:

Here's where Splits does a bunch of mental gymnastics ("yeah, but those are college soccer players, not the EPL Gods I worship!" Never mind the fact that Ribery, Rooney, etc are at the upper bound of BF% for a soccer player, and just looking at their physiques, it's obvious those skinny fats are in the 18% range. Or he tries to say NFL players aren't legitimate athletes ).

Just take the L, bro. Your "Fatball" label has been exposed as having little truth behind it. I know it pains you to say something positive about an American sport, but try to be open minded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mid still trying too hard to use American reference

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bruh, midnightpulp lost all credibility when he tried to argue prince fielder is faster than cristiano ronaldo
    Or when he claimed that the average MLB player is 6'2" 190 when the actual number is 6'1" 223

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny how the soccer crew can't back up their .

Prince Fielder was too fat, baseball scouts and detractors used to say. ... He ran the 60-yard dash for pro scouts his senior year in 6.8 seconds.
    6.8 60 yard dash translates into a 4.55 40 yard dash time.

It’s a safe estimate to say Cristiano could run the 40 yard dash between 4.64-4.70
    https://xcountrytrackathlete.wordpre...-40-yard-dash/

indeed

Shredded floptrot players can't even outrun some of the fattest and least athletic players in baseball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or when he claimed that the average MLB player is 6'2" 190 when the actual number is 6'1" 223
    Doesn't matter. 13.8% is the only number that matters.

Tell me with a straight face that BMI is more important than BF% when evaluating physique?

Keep belaboring that point though, since you have no other argument.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ahh, the venerable xcountrytrackathlete.wordpress.com website, the source everyone goes to for their sports analytics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't matter. 13.8% is the only number that matters.

Tell me with a straight face that BMI is more important than BF% when evaluating physique?

Keep belaboring that point though, since you have no other argument.
    If it didn't matter you wouldn't have been pimping 6'2" 190.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Or when he keeps bringing up Rooney as an example as if he is a relevant player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Using american sources....

The same source that list 6'4 players as 6'7

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ahh, the venerable xcountrytrackathlete.wordpress.com website, the source everyone goes to for their sports analytics.
    "When you can't argue against the evidence, discredit the source."

The Laws of Physics are the same for xcountrytrackathlete.wordpress.com as they are for Sports Science.

We also have Ronaldo's top EPL sprint speed and it's a totally underwhelming 21mph. Remember, the sensor gates are 40m apart in that case, so Ronaldo has more room to work with to reach a top speed (sprinters don't max out until about 190 feet). Mike Trout (6'2", 230lb) can gear up to 21.5 mph over 80 in' feet.

Ronaldo is a totally average athlete compared to his American betters.

Just. Take. The. L.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "When you can't argue against the evidence, discredit the source."

The Laws of Physics are the same for xcountrytrackathlete.wordpress.com as they are for Sports Science.

We also have Ronaldo's top EPL sprint speed and it's a totally underwhelming 21mph. Remember, the sensor gates are 40m apart in that case, so Ronaldo has more room to work with to reach a top speed (sprinters don't max out until about 190 feet). Mike Trout (6'2", 230lb) can gear up to 21.5 mph over 80 in' feet.

Ronaldo is a totally average athlete compared to his American betters.

Just. Take. The. L.
    baseball has a lot more straight line sprinting than soccer does. a guy like ronaldo does his sprinting with a ball at his feet. capturing a baseball player's spring speed is simpler since they run in straight lines. its disingenuous to compare that to a random sprint speed captured during a povertyball game

for instance, THIS is the play they used to track Bale's "top speed"

According to player physical performance statistics in La Liga published by “Marca” Gareth Bale’s 34.7 km/h top speed during that famous sprint against Barcelona resulted in goal was the fastest recorded by any player in Spain.

http://www.totalsportek.com/list/fastest-footballers/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it didn't matter you wouldn't have been pimping 6'2" 190.
    Still on this.

As much as you so badly want to be European, you're still an American at heart.

That pride

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    baseball has a lot more straight line sprinting than soccer does. a guy like ronaldo does his sprinting with a ball at his feet
    Yeah, that's why every time I watch a floptrot match, there's at least 10-20 instances of players sprinting (in a straight) line to the ball

"They're not as fast because they don't train for it as much"

I seriously, seriously doubt baseball players train more in straight line sprinting than floptrot players.

All I'm reading ITT are a bunch of excuses ("He's citing American sources!" "Rooney isn't a relevant player!") from the soccer crew when I've definitively proven (again) the top athletes in that sport are overall less athletic than baseball players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's why every time I watch a floptrot match, there's at least 10-20 instances of players sprinting (in a straight) line to the ball
    over what distance? 40 feet?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6.8 60 yard dash translates into a 4.55 40 yard dash time.
    i dont think you can just make a simple fraction/proportion when comparing those. the acceleration period (the slowest split) is much more significant in the 40 than a 60

and have u seen the math they used to estimate ronadlo's 40 time?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    over what distance? 40 feet?
    Various distances.

I also saw the Bale video, and yeah, he made a turn, but he still straight line sprinted for a good 40-60 feet.

But here's what you're not considering on the baseball side. Many of the top sprint speeds registered in baseball are from stolen bases and catching fly balls, and those runners begin from a DEAD STOP (ex. Bolt runs the last 100m of the 200m in 8.61 seconds, a full one second lower than his best 100m time). Bale was in motion for pretty much the whole sequence, so he didn't accelerate from 0-to-whatever. He was probably keeping a 15-16mph constant speed before turning it on for the final 40-60 feet.

And yeah, baseball players turn as well and still easily beat that MPH:

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7395516...leg-out-triple

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont think you can just make a simple fraction/proportion when comparing those. the acceleration period (the slowest split) is much more significant in the 40 than a 60

and have u seen the math they used to estimate ronadlo's 40 time?
    You should know from being an NFL fan that fat doesn't equal slow. Warren Sapp ran a 4.7 40 yard.

Prince is in the worst shape of his life, and still cranked it up to 18.2 mph last season.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7395516...o-tie-the-game

And yes, I know about acceleration. But it's not like any runner is going to suddenly gain a significant amount of speed over 20 yard splits. Prince is still running a 4.5-4.6 40. Let's not forget that Ronaldo's time is from testing in lab conditions with artificial turf and Prince's 60 yard time was done in the real world on either grass or infield gravel (which doesn't have the best traction).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should know from being an NFL fan that fat doesn't equal slow. Warren Sapp ran a 4.7 40 yard.

Prince is in the worst shape of his life, and still cranked it up to 18.2 mph last season.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7395516...o-tie-the-game

And yes, I know about acceleration. But it's not like any runner is going to suddenly gain a significant amount of speed over 20 yard splits. Prince is still running a 4.5-4.6 40. Let's not forget that Ronaldo's time is from testing in lab conditions with artificial turf and Prince's 60 yard time was done in the real world on either grass or infield gravel (which doesn't have the best traction).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    300lb linemen can run 4.6-4.8 40yard
    Prince wasn't nearly that big in HS
    Has a do ented 60 yard dash time of 6.8 seconds
    Philo Philos because he has no counterargument

If you doubt it, prove it, Philo.

But yeah, it's a stretch of logic that the 250lb HS Prince can run that fast when the 375lb Vince Wilfork can run a 5.05 40.

Phil

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prince fielder was in high school 15 years ago... and you're using one time he ran a certain speed and claiming "he still runs that fast"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prince fielder was in high school 15 years ago... and you're using one time he ran a certain speed and claiming "he still runs that fast"
    Prince in high school was faster. Ronaldo's 40 time is absolute , behind many 300 lb NFL lineman.

Current Prince is not, though.
    I just bring up Prince's innate athleticism when the soccer crew uses him as an example of "unathletic fatball" players. Even in the terrible shape he's in, he's still pretty quick.

And I find it funny that he once ran faster or as fast as a Ronaldo in his athletic peak (they did a whole gay show about it on Euro TV, "marveling" at Ronaldo's amazing 17" no step vert, 30" running vert, and 3.61 25m sprint time ).

Thread Information