Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I think this was posted upstairs but dont recall seeing it down here ... anyway some great insight from Big Shot Bob.

1. Like in the le Horry says all were great in different ways but he thinks Rudy was the best coach he played for ... not Phil not Pop

2. The great "players coach" the Zen master only had one private conversation with horry in 4 plus years ...as the head coach?!

You know how many off-court conversations I had with the Zen-Master Phil Jackson in my entire time with the Lakers? One. I was sitting in the trainer’s room getting treatment and he was sitting on the table across from me.“What happened with you and Danny Ainge in Phoenix?” he asked. “I didn’t like him, so I blew up and threw a towel at him. I didn’t handle it the right way.” (nether do I Bob, neither do I)

Question, IS Phil overrated? I would take Riles and Pop over him but Rudy? I have a hate/love relationship with Phil. I thought his ego contributed to early demise of the Shaqobe Lakers ...but then he led us to a repeat with a squad much less talented than any of his 3peat Lakers or Bulls teams.

3. Kobe was the hardest working player he ever played with. I know some of y'all hate anything positive towards Kobe. And horry has been critical of Kobe at times and rates duncan as the greater player IIRC. But it's that kind of dedication is why I defend that man. I respect hard workers and apparently so does Horry.

When I got traded to the Lakers in ’97, Kobe Bryant was just a rookie. The dude couldn’t shoot threes. We would play this shooting game every day after practice. It was me, Kobe, Brian Shaw, Mitch Richmond and Kurt Rambis. Kobe would lose every time. We would get to practice the next day and sure enough, Kobe would already be there shooting nothing but threes. Like clockwork, at the end of practice he’d say, “Let’s play the game! I’m ready for you.” And we would beat his ass again.

He would never stop. It was incredible. He practiced until one day, a couple months later, he finally won. If you literally said, “Kobe, I bet you can’t make five in a row by dropping the ball and kicking it in from half court,” that mother er would go out there and practice it until he could do it. And that’s what people don’t understand when they talk about champions — when they talk about a winner’s mentality. Kobe’s dedication to the game is unreal. And I mean that in the truest sense … it was literally unbelievable. The common denominator in every championship team is the mentality that Kobe has, and the mentality that Hakeem had with me at that Christmas party.

4. But the biggest revelation I did not remember how badly we treated Horry. I know we wanted Malone and Shaq and he had became close and I think Phil wanted to prove that he could lead Malone to a le when Jerry sloan could not again Phil's ego was even bigger than Kobe's or Shaq's.

as dominant as we were in that three-peat run, I feel we could’ve done more if it weren’t for egos and complacency. Honestly, I left the Lakers with so much hatred for that team. I felt that the way they handled my situation was so wrong. I remember going into the exit meetings after we had won the le and it was my year to opt out. You walk into the meeting and everyone is hugging you, kissing you, praising you.

I said, “I know I make too much money and I know you’ve got a hard-on for Karl Malone.” They had been wanting him for five years, ever since Phil got there. I’m a realist. Tell me like it is and I will respect you more, just don’t go behind my back. I told them I’d stay for $2 million, but they weren’t interested. All I asked them was to allow me to find a team before the money dried up and not to wait until the last day to release me. They told me, “We won’t do you like that.”

5. I think the above is not only an indictment of Phil, but Mitch, Shaq and even Dr. Buss.as well.

6. As always Horry ends with a dagger this time straight to the heart ...

I’m a guy who is constantly seeking motivation. That’s how you get ice water in your veins. So I remember looking at the smiling people from the Lakers’ front office and thinking, “Man, you just wait. I’m gonna break ya’ll hearts.”

I actually have five NBA les thanks to the Lakers. Three from playing with the team, and two from them showing me the door.

to read the story click here
    Last edited by Killakobe81; 07-21-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2. The great "players coach" the Zen master only had one private conversation with horry in 4 plus years ...as the head coach.

You know how many off-court conversations I had with the Zen-Master Phil Jackson in my entire time with the Lakers? One. I was sitting in the trainer’s room getting treatment and he was sitting on the table across from me.“What happened with you and Danny Ainge in Phoenix?” he asked. “I didn’t like him, so I blew up and threw a towel at him. I didn’t handle it the right way.” (nether do I Bob, neither do I)
    Ainge, you think Rob ever forgot this cheapshot from him in the 94 playoffs?

He should have punched him instead of just throwing a towel in Ainge's face.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Ainge, you think Rob ever forgot this cheapshot from him in the 94 playoffs?

He should have punched him instead of just throwing a towel in Ainge's face.
    Im with you 100% I hated that dude as Celt, blazer, Sun and now as the Celts President and GM ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Before the money dried up"

What?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    "Before the money dried up"

What?
    he meant that he wanted to be released early before the first wave of FA's were signed ...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Man I've never had to hear so much from a bench player in NBA history tbh....had some great moments but we're all paying the price of having Horry constantly give his takes...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) I always think Rudy T has always been underrated as a coach. There are very few coaches in league history who can claim that they altered the NBA style of play. Auerbach was the first one to use a defensive anchor to start fast breaks, Ramsey was the first with a focus on fitness, Daly put in that defensive emphasis, and then it was Rudy with his inside out offense of using a dominant low post scorer and bomb the out of you from 3. We saw that later on with the Shaq Lakers and the Duncan Spurs, Dwight Magic tried that with decent success as well. The last guy that I think should deserve credit, I think you all will laugh at it, is D'antoni with his SSOL philosophy. It may not be used a lot by other teams, but that SSOL spirit, coupled by the infuse of European ball created a lot of what Pop did in the last few years.

The other thing is that guys will always be impressed when they were young. Rudy T was Horry's first coach in the NBA, and he gave him two rings by using his strength (mobile 4), of course Horry will love him. It's like why Jordan always thought David Thompson and James Worthy are the two best players.

2) Phil is great with his lead players, not so much the role players.

3) Not surprised at all

4) Horry should hold a grudge on that, but the thing is that this didn't come back to bite the Lakers at all. I am not sure if it is because of the charisma and charm of Dr. Buss, but that guy seems like a slimy pervert, but for some reason, everybody looks up to him.

5) See 4)

6) Horry is the master of these types of zingers.

PRESSURE MAKES DIAMONDS
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Rudy T over KFC, ok, but he ain't better than Pop.

Horry is one clutch mutha a.

And Kobe's work ethic is a ing thing of legend...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    1) I always think Rudy T has always been underrated as a coach.
    Yeah, I agree. And the Lakers job was the golden opportunity to get himself into that upper echelon. It's a real shame how kobe ran him out of town and destroyed his career tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I agree. And the Lakers job was the golden opportunity to get himself into that upper echelon. It's a real shame how kobe ran him out of town and destroyed his career tbh
    ing Lakers and the letter K

Kermit Washington
    Kobe Bryant

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

From the comments of the Ainge/Horry video

"This would be like 200 fragrant fouls in this short one min video"

"Today's NBA"

It's rampant!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this was posted upstairs but dont recall seeing it down here ... anyway some great insight from Big Shot Bob.

1. Like in the le Horry says all were great in different ways but he thinks Rudy was the best coach he played for ... not Phil not Pop

2. The great "players coach" the Zen master only had one private conversation with horry in 4 plus years ...as the head coach?!

Question, IS Phil overrated? I would take Riles and Pop over him but Rudy? I have a hate/love relationship with Phil. I thought his ego contributed to early demise of the Shaqobe Lakers ...but then he led us to a repeat with a squad much less talented than any of his 3peat Lakers or Bulls teams.

3. Kobe was the hardest working player he ever played with. I know some of y'all hate anything positive towards Kobe. And horry has been critical of Kobe at times and rates duncan as the greater player IIRC. But it's that kind of dedication is why I defend that man. I respect hard workers and apparently so does Horry.

When I got traded to the Lakers in ’97, Kobe Bryant was just a rookie. The dude couldn’t shoot threes. We would play this shooting game every day after practice. It was me, Kobe, Brian Shaw, Mitch Richmond and Kurt Rambis. Kobe would lose every time. We would get to practice the next day and sure enough, Kobe would already be there shooting nothing but threes. Like clockwork, at the end of practice he’d say, “Let’s play the game! I’m ready for you.” And we would beat his ass again.

He would never stop. It was incredible. He practiced until one day, a couple months later, he finally won. If you literally said, “Kobe, I bet you can’t make five in a row by dropping the ball and kicking it in from half court,” that mother er would go out there and practice it until he could do it. And that’s what people don’t understand when they talk about champions — when they talk about a winner’s mentality. Kobe’s dedication to the game is unreal. And I mean that in the truest sense … it was literally unbelievable. The common denominator in every championship team is the mentality that Kobe has, and the mentality that Hakeem had with me at that Christmas party.

4. But the biggest revelation I did not remember how badly we treated Horry. I know we wanted Malone and Shaq and he had became close and I think Phil wanted to prove that he could lead Malone to a le when Jerry sloan could not again Phil's ego was even bigger than Kobe's or Shaq's.

as dominant as we were in that three-peat run, I feel we could’ve done more if it weren’t for egos and complacency. Honestly, I left the Lakers with so much hatred for that team. I felt that the way they handled my situation was so wrong. I remember going into the exit meetings after we had won the le and it was my year to opt out. You walk into the meeting and everyone is hugging you, kissing you, praising you.

I said, “I know I make too much money and I know you’ve got a hard-on for Karl Malone.” They had been wanting him for five years, ever since Phil got there. I’m a realist. Tell me like it is and I will respect you more, just don’t go behind my back. I told them I’d stay for $2 million, but they weren’t interested. All I asked them was to allow me to find a team before the money dried up and not to wait until the last day to release me. They told me, “We won’t do you like that.”

5. I think the above is not only an indictment of Phil, but Mitch, Shaq and even Dr. Buss.as well.

6. As always Horry ends with a dagger this time straight to the heart ...

I’m a guy who is constantly seeking motivation. That’s how you get ice water in your veins. So I remember looking at the smiling people from the Lakers’ front office and thinking, “Man, you just wait. I’m gonna break ya’ll hearts.”

I actually have five NBA les thanks to the Lakers. Three from playing with the team, and two from them showing me the door.

to read the story click here
    Rob is a different breed of cat. The league is full of guys who have angst against other franchises, but no one has the icewater Horry has. It almost seems like he just doesn't give a .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

From the comments of the Ainge/Horry video

"This would be like 200 fragrant fouls in this short one min video"

"Today's NBA"

It's rampant!
    I swear it wasn't me

My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    Not many bench players have 7 rings, he can talk all he wants, he's shown he can back it up when it matters most.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    1) I always think Rudy T has always been underrated as a coach. There are very few coaches in league history who can claim that they altered the NBA style of play. Auerbach was the first one to use a defensive anchor to start fast breaks, Ramsey was the first with a focus on fitness, Daly put in that defensive emphasis, and then it was Rudy with his inside out offense of using a dominant low post scorer and bomb the out of you from 3. We saw that later on with the Shaq Lakers and the Duncan Spurs, Dwight Magic tried that with decent success as well. The last guy that I think should deserve credit, I think you all will laugh at it, is D'antoni with his SSOL philosophy. It may not be used a lot by other teams, but that SSOL spirit, coupled by the infuse of European ball created a lot of what Pop did in the last few years.

The other thing is that guys will always be impressed when they were young. Rudy T was Horry's first coach in the NBA, and he gave him two rings by using his strength (mobile 4), of course Horry will love him. It's like why Jordan always thought David Thompson and James Worthy are the two best players.

2) Phil is great with his lead players, not so much the role players.

3) Not surprised at all

4) Horry should hold a grudge on that, but the thing is that this didn't come back to bite the Lakers at all. I am not sure if it is because of the charisma and charm of Dr. Buss, but that guy seems like a slimy pervert, but for some reason, everybody looks up to him.

5) See 4)

6) Horry is the master of these types of zingers.
    I thought about the "young thing" ... but that doesn't explain it all tbh.
    There is a fondness for your first Love the first time you have sex etc.
    But you dont see Jordan choosing Doug Collins or Kobe naming Dell Harris as their best coach.
    Horry won with all 3 coaches but still chose Rudy and made a point of it ... you can say his view is skewed by age but I think he should have a healthy perspective.
    I am not saying I agree Rudy is greater than Pop or even Phil ...just saying I do value his perspective even if I disagree with some of the he says ..often.

Resistanze is right he is very opinonated for a role player ... but that hasn't stopped the Barry brothers or Tim Legler from running their mouths even when not doing games.
    Horry has hit more big shots than all 3 combined,.
    Last edited by Killakobe81; 07-21-2016 at 04:34 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought about the "young thing" ... but that doesn't explain it all tbh.
    There is a fondness for your first Love the first time you have sex etc.
    But you dont see Jordan choosing Doug Collins or Kobe naming Dell Harris as their best coach.
    Horry won with all 3 coaches but still chose Rudy and made a point of it ... you can say his view is skewed by age but I think he should have a healthy perspective.
    I am not saying I agree Rudy is greater than Pop or even Phil ...just saying I do value his perspective even if I disagree with some of the sit he says.

Resistanze is right he is very opinonated for a role player ... but that hasnt stopped the Barry brothers or Tin Legler and Horry has hit more big shots than all 3 combined,.
    Jordan didn't win with Doug and Kobe didn't win with Dell, so it's a little different. And those two are egomaniacs and psychopaths, so everything the best coach they ever played for were themselves, the nicest girl they ever dated was themselevs, the toughest guys they ever guarded was themselves, etc .....

Can't really speak about Horry's psych, but imagine for a young guy to come in a league, have the coach value your input, put you in spots where you can shine, and win two rings along the way. It has to be special.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great article from one the most special players in NBA history.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Jordan didn't win with Doug and Kobe didn't win with Dell, so it's a little different. And those two are egomaniacs and psychopaths, so everything the best coach they ever played for were themselves, the nicest girl they ever dated was themselevs, the toughest guys they ever guarded was themselves, etc .....

Can't really speak about Horry's psych, but imagine for a young guy to come in a league, have the coach value your input, put you in spots where you can shine, and win two rings along the way. It has to be special.
    He also chose Rudy even though he was hurt that Rudy signed off on the trade for Sean Elliott ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He also chose Rudy even though he was hurt that Rudy signed off on the trade for Sean Elliott ...
    True. And they see things we don't see

I always thought Rudy t was a one trick pony wrt strategy, but that was a great trick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i really wanted the Timberwolves to hire Cassell to coach. i thought there might be a chance of seeing Horry as an assistant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good reading

thanks OP

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    good reading

thanks OP
    no doubt. Great story. even if you say he is biased by youth I think it was great story all around.
    For example maybe young Timmy worked just as hard as young Kobe and Horry missed that time ...
    He can only judge what HE saw ...either way great perspective from a uber clutch player ...

1. The Sacto shot
    2. The Shot to send to OT vs. Pistons
    3. the hip check
    4. Clutch 3's vs. Philly in 2001
    5. the clutch shot in the Western playoffs (i forget team) while in houston

Dude was one of the coldest. Not a HOF'er but If he stayed with one team instead of 4 I would argue despite mediocre numbers he should get a jersey retired if he had won 7 heck even 5 with one team. Ahh ... well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^nobody has ever questionned Kobe's work ethics tbh.... dude is a maniac but it is not always a good thing

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ^nobody has ever questionned Kobe's work ethics tbh.... dude is a maniac but it is not always a good thing
    fair point ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    being a hard worker per se is not to be respected. Kirby was a hard worker, but was not a great basketball player, he may have worked harder than others, but he was working on the wrong thing. He kept on working on how to make harder shots, instead of training in how to make smart shots. It's like praising a jerk off for jerking off a lot when he should be banging skinny blondes...

Thread Information