My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes manu was offered 2/30, spurs had to ante up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good quote from Pop, tbh...

“Losing Tim made it absolutely imperative that we keep him,” Popovich told The Vertical Thursday of Ginobili. “To lose them both at the same time, it would’ve been like death by a thousands cuts. It would’ve been awful.”

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, not good to lose so much locker room presence and continuity at once. Should probably sign Bonner again for this reason too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, not good to lose so much locker room presence and continuity at once. Should probably sign Bonner again for this reason too

Or just employ him as a coach or something....

the Rocket

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

“Losing Tim made it absolutely imperative that we keep him,” Popovich told The Vertical Thursday of Ginobili. “To lose them both at the same time, it would’ve been like death by a thousands cuts. It would’ve been awful.”
    I think Manu will earn his money this season just on his leadership and example and however he can help our youngsters to be aggressive and not back down from anybody. It doesn't matter how much rest he has, if he helps what's going to be a very young bench be better than last season, that alone will be a tremendous gift. I have a lot of respect for Manu. I am just really uneasy about Pop's comments like that bc it makes me think what about Kawhi and LMA as leaders.

You combine that comment with others Pop has made recently, specially that vague statement that he will see what develops in this locker room bc not everyone can handle being a leader and seeing things in that light I don't think that's a nice quote (in reference to others in the team, not Manu). Yes it shows appreciation and attachment to Manu, but what about the other guys?

Your Manu affection aside, what does that tell you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Manu will earn his money this season just on his leadership and example and however he can help our youngsters to be aggressive and not back down from anybody. It doesn't matter how much rest he has, if he helps what's going to be a very young bench be better than last season, that alone will be a tremendous gift. I have a lot of respect for Manu. I am just really uneasy about Pop's comments like that bc it makes me think what about Kawhi and LMA as leaders.

You combine that comment with others Pop has made recently, specially that vague statement that he will see what develops in this locker room bc not everyone can handle being a leader and seeing things in that light I don't think that's a nice quote (in reference to others in the team, not Manu). Yes it shows appreciation and attachment to Manu, but what about the other guys?

I'll answer with a translation from an interview Manu did just a day or two ago to the official Argentina Basketball Confederation:

Q: How do you face the challenge of being part of a team where your role might even include teaching?
    MG: In some cases I already have that role in San Antonio too. I think when you get to 39 years old it's kind of automatic, and if you don't know how to handle it or can't handle it, you wouldn't be part of the team.

I think it means just that. I think Pop puts a lot of stock in having HoF vets that are coachable, that lead by example, that know what he wants, and that's the best way to teach the kids. I think losing Tim was huge in that department, and when we lose Manu it will be another big loss in that area.

EDIT: here's a link to the online magazine where that came from (in Spanish) https://issuu.com/cabb/docs/09cabb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok Manu was offered heaps by the 76ers but was he actually considering accepting? Heck it's not my money i don't care about his price tag. It just woulda been weird if he finished his career as a 76er for financial reasons only with zero chance of a le. So do you think he was really gonna go to Philly if the Spurs didn't up their offer? Crazy to think he would have done that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll answer with a translation from an interview Manu did just a day or two ago to the official Argentina Basketball Confederation:

Q: How do you face the challenge of being part of a team where your role might even include teaching?
    MG: In some cases I already have that role in San Antonio too. I think when you get to 39 years old it's kind of automatic, and if you don't know how to handle it or can't handle it, you wouldn't be part of the team.

I think it means just that. I think Pop puts a lot of stock in having HoF vets that are coachable, that lead by example, that know what he wants, and that's the best way to teach the kids. I think losing Tim was huge in that department, and when we lose Manu it will be another big loss in that area.

EDIT: here's a link to the online magazine where that came from (in Spanish) https://issuu.com/cabb/docs/09cabb
    Thanks for sharing!
    A lot has to be said about that. Definitely puts it in this light for me: If Pop still gets on a HOF winner like Manu for maybe slacking or being a bit too reckless, what can JSimms, Murray, Bertans, and KA expect if they are the ones slacking and being too reckless? And a lot has to be said about the example he sets and guys like Bertans and Murray never saw Tim as a teammate. Plus he makes it seem like there is a lot of teaching involved and Tim did that too.

Thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok Manu was offered heaps by the 76ers but was he actually considering accepting? Heck it's not my money i don't care about his price tag. It just woulda been weird if he finished his career as a 76er for financial reasons only with zero chance of a le. So do you think he was really gonna go yo Philly is the Spurs didn't up their offer? Crazy to think he would have done that.
    Seems like he enjoys the teaching aspect and mentoring a lot and although he didn't want to leave the Spurs if they insulted him after all he's done for the franchise he was not above leaving. But he didn't want to leave.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu has been low balled by the Spurs for a very long time.... Manu is worth 20 million in my opinion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why does he care so much? I mean, new planets have been discovered, right? If...

Its just basketball

...then why all the recent emotion.

That's why I can't stand when he pulls that and refuses to answer questions on the podium. If it's just basketball, why are you above answering questions about a stupid game?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does he care so much? I mean, new planets have been discovered, right? If...

Its just basketball

...then why all the recent emotion.

That's why I can't stand when he pulls that and refuses to answer questions on the podium. If it's just basketball, why are you above answering questions about a stupid game?
    I think he's lost some of that fire, tbh... I actually saw the interview with Team USA, and he looked much more engaged and candid. I think that new challenge really motivates him.

It'll be interesting this year, IMO, without Timmy around... I think he'll need to step up his leadership game a bit, we'll see what we get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It tells me that Tony's "leadership" doesn't cut the mus so much.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly I would have loved to see Manu lead that Sixers team and help turn them around. For those kids to get a chance to play with a proven winner and leader, and such a talented and willing passer, would do so much for their career growth.

He could have done more for the Sixers team than he can for us. It's sobering to think we'll never know how he might have flourished differently in another environment. I feel we never got to see Ginobili completely unchained here in SA, in all his raw chaotic warrior glory.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the popular NBA podcast took the conspiracy theory route: the Spurs had a wink wink deal with manu last year when he took the room exception. But to make sure it didn't appear that he was due a big payday this year it was in the spurs interest to create the apprarance of a bidding war so that it didnt look like last year's deal was really a 16m/2yr deal.

Summer musings, what else can I say.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly I would have loved to see Manu lead that Sixers team and help turn them around. For those kids to get a chance to play with a proven winner and leader, and such a talented and willing passer, would do so much for their career growth.

He could have done more for the Sixers team than he can for us. It's sobering to think we'll never know how he might have flourished differently in another environment. I feel we never got to see Ginobili completely unchained here in SA, in all his raw chaotic warrior glory.
    How about trying to get a 3 team deal going by sending Philadelphia Parker instead since they missed out on Manu. Philly then sends 1 or 2 of those young bigs they have to OKC and Spurs end up with Westbrook. Picks would also have to be sent to OKC from the Spurs and another player or so to salary match, but overall, I think these 3 teams can deal with each other.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a farce. Spurs were always planning to pay above market value to him for past discounts. Spurs are tight money-wise and spend cautiously. No way they would over pay Manu in a bidding war with a habitual lottery team. And no way Manu is going to be on a lottery roster like that to end his career.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about trying to get a 3 team deal going by sending Philadelphia Parker instead since they missed out on Manu. Philly then sends 1 or 2 of those young bigs they have to OKC and Spurs end up with Westbrook. Picks would also have to be sent to OKC from the Spurs and another player or so to salary match, but overall, I think these 3 teams can deal with each other.
    OKC already have too many big men. They'll need at least a starting quality PG to replace the loss of Westbrook. Parker will definitely be involved if that deal ever take place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's not forget that Manu is STILL taking less than market value this year.

No matter how much money these guys have, an extra $13-14M is still a tooooon of money, even to NBA players. There's no way any of us could fault him if the Spurs didn't budge and he accepted the 76ers offer, especially with Brown as the coach and the team's situation. They're obviously not contenders but they've finally got a chance to shine and be relevant this upcoming season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Humor me will you guys? Imagine a scenario with the Sixers successfully out-bidding us for Manu. At 39, how many PPG would he average? We know he wouldn't be a chucker like Kobe and would look to get the ball moving and dish. We also know the high turnovers he'd give up, especially with the players around him not prepared to take the crazy passes he's known for. Still, I have to think Brett would start him and give him free reign. Scoring wise, I'd say he can still average 14-18 PPG and be a net positive for the team. Thoughts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and honestly he is still worth that. Did you see our bench last year without him? A mess indeed. Bash him all you want, but the intangibles he brings off the bench are irreplaceable.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and honestly he is still worth that. Did you see our bench last year without him? A mess indeed. Bash him all you want, but the intangibles he brings off the bench are irreplaceable.
    Spurs went undefeated without Manu and the bench looked fine lmao.

Manure isn't worth 14M

Kori's nightmare SpurOutofTownFan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Manure isn't worth 14M
    lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Manure isn't worth 14M
    What?

Thread Information