Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obvious now why hater loves Trump

Point 7 is damning

By
    JOSH MARSHALL Published JULY 23, 2016, 4:15 PM EDT

Over the last year there has been a recurrent refrain about the seeming bromance between Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin. More seriously, but relatedly, many believe Trump is an admirer and would-be emulator of Putin's increasingly autocratic and illiberal rule. But there's quite a bit more to the story. At a minimum, Trump appears to have a deep financial dependence on Russian money from persons close to Putin. And this is matched to a con uous solicitousness to Russian foreign policy interests where they come into conflict with US policies which go back decades through administrations of both parties. There is also something between a non-trivial and a substantial amount of evidence suggesting Putin-backed financial support for Trump or a non-tacit alliance between the two men.

Let me start by saying I'm no Russia hawk. I have long been skeptical of US efforts to extend security guarantees to countries within what the Russians consider their 'near abroad' or extend such guarantees and police Russian interactions with new states which for centuries were part of either the Russian Empire or the USSR. This isn't a matter of indifference to these countries. It is based on my belief in seriously thinking through the potential costs of such policies. In the case of the Baltics, those countries are now part of NATO. Security commitments have been made which absolutely must be kept. But there are many other areas where such commitments have not been made. My point in raising this is that I do not come to this question or these policies as someone looking for confrontation or cold relations with Russia.

Let's start with the basic facts. There is a lot of Russian money flowing into Trump's coffers and he is con uously solicitous of Russian foreign policy priorities.

I'll list off some facts.

1. All the other discussions of Trump's finances aside, his debt load has grown dramatically over the last year, from $350 million to $630 million. This is in just one year while his liquid assets have also decreased. Trump has been blackballed by all major US banks.

2. Post-bankruptcy Trump has been highly reliant on money from Russia, most of which has over the years become increasingly concentrated among oligarchs and sub-garchs close to Vladimir Putin. Here's a good overview from The Washington Post, with one morsel for illustration ...
    Since the 1980s, Trump and his family members have made numerous trips to Moscow in search of business opportunities, and they have relied on Russian investors to buy their properties around the world.“Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets,” Trump’s son, Donald Jr., told a real estate conference in 2008, according to an account posted on the website of eTurboNews, a trade publication. “We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia.”

3. One example of this is the Trump Soho development in Manhattan, one of Trump's largest recent endeavors. The project was the hit with a series of lawsuits in response to some typically Trumpian efforts to defraud investors by making fraudulent claims about the financial health of the project. Emerging out of that litigation however was news about secret financing for the project from Russia and Kazakhstan. Most attention about the project has focused on the presence of a twice imprisoned Russian immigrant with extensive ties to the Russian criminal underworld. But that's not the most salient part of the story. As the Times put it,
    "Mr. Lauria brokered a $50 million investment in Trump SoHo and three other Bayrock projects by an Icelandic firm preferred by wealthy Russians “in favor with” President Vladimir V. Putin, according to a lawsuit against Bayrock by one of its former executives. The Icelandic company, FL Group, was identified in a Bayrock investor presentation as a “strategic partner,” along with Alexander Mashkevich, a billionaire once charged in a corruption case involving fees paid by a Belgian company seeking business in Kazakhstan; that case was settled with no admission of guilt."

Another suit alleged the project "occasionally received unexplained infusions of cash from accounts in Kazakhstan and Russia."

Sounds completely legit.

Read both articles: After his bankruptcy and business failures roughly a decade ago Trump has had an increasingly difficult time finding sources of capital for new investments. As I noted above, Trump has been blackballed by all major US banks with the exception of Deutschebank, which is of course a foreign bank with a major US presence. He has steadied and rebuilt his financial empire with a heavy reliance on capital from Russia. At a minimum the Trump organization is receiving lots of investment capital from people close to Vladimir Putin.

Trump's tax returns would likely clarify the depth of his connections to and dependence on Russian capital aligned with Putin. And in case you're keeping score at home: no, that's not reassuring.

4. Then there's Paul Manafort, Trump's nominal 'campaign chair' who now functions as campaign manager and top advisor. Manafort spent most of the last decade as top campaign and communications advisor for Viktor Yanukovych, the pro-Russian Ukrainian Prime Minister and then President whose ouster in 2014 led to the on-going crisis and proxy war in Ukraine. Yanukovych was and remains a close Putin ally. Manafort is running Trump's campaign.

5. Trump's foreign policy advisor on Russia and Europe is Carter Page, a man whose entire professional career has revolved around investments in Russia and who has deep and continuing financial and employment ties to Gazprom. If you're not familiar with Gazprom, imagine if most or all of the US energy industry were rolled up into a single company and it were personally controlled by the US President who used it as a source of revenue and patronage. That is Gazprom's role in the Russian political and economic system. It is no exaggeration to say that you cannot be involved with Gazprom at the very high level which Page has been without being wholly in alignment with Putin's policies. Those ties also allow Putin to put Page out of business at any time.

6. Over the course of the last year, Putin has aligned all Russian state controlled media behind Trump. As Frank Foer explains here, this fits a pattern with how Putin has sought to prop up rightist/nationalist politicians across Europe, often with direct or covert infusions of money. In some cases this is because they support Russia-backed policies; in others it is simply because they sow discord in Western aligned states. Of course, Trump has repeatedly praised Putin, not only in the abstract but often for the authoritarian policies and patterns of government which have most soured his reputation around the world.

7. Here's where it gets more interesting. This is one of a handful of developments that tipped me from seeing all this as just a part of Trump's larger shadiness to something more specific and ominous about the relationship between Putin and Trump. As TPM's Tierney Sneed explained in this article, one of the most enduring dynamics of GOP conventions (there's a comparable dynamic on the Dem side) is more mainstream nominees battling conservative activists over the party platform, with activists trying to check all the hardline ideological boxes and the nominees trying to soften most or all of those edges. This is one thing that made the Trump convention very different. The Trump Camp was totally indifferent to the platform. So party activists were able to write one of the most conservative platforms in history. Not with Trump's backing but because he simply didn't care. With one big exception: Trump's team mobilized the nominee's traditional mix of cajoling and strong-arming on one point: changing the party platform on assistance to Ukraine against Russian military operations in eastern Ukraine. For what it's worth (and it's not worth much) I am quite skeptical of most Republicans call for aggressively arming Ukraine to resist Russian aggression. But the single-mindedness of this focus on this one issue - in the context of total indifference to everything else in the platform - speaks volumes.

This does not mean Trump is controlled by or in the pay of Russia or Putin. It can just as easily be explained by having many of his top advisors having spent years working in Putin's orbit and being aligned with his thinking and agenda. But it is certainly no coincidence. Again, in the context of near total indifference to the platform and willingness to let party activists write it in any way they want, his team zeroed in on one fairly obscure plank to exert maximum force and it just happens to be the one most important to Putin in terms of US policy.

Add to this that his most con uous foreign policy statements track not only with Putin's positions but those in which Putin is most intensely interested. Aside from Ukraine, Trump's suggestion that the US and thus NATO might not come to the defense of NATO member states in the Baltics in the case of a Russian invasion is a case in point.

There are many other things people are alleging about hacking and all manner of other mysteries. But those points are highly speculative, some verging on conspiratorial in their thinking. I ignore them here because I've wanted to focus on unimpeachable, undisputed and publicly known facts. These alone paint a stark and highly troubling picture.

To put this all into perspective, if Vladimir Putin were simply the CEO of a major American corporation and there was this much money flowing in Trump's direction, combined with this much solicitousness of Putin's policy agenda, it would set off alarm bells galore. That is not hyperbole or exaggeration. And yet Putin is not the CEO of an American corporation. He's the autocrat who rules a foreign state, with an increasingly hostile posture towards the United States and a substantial stockpile of nuclear weapons. The stakes involved in finding out 'what's going on' as Trump might put it are quite a bit higher.

There is something between a non-trivial and a substantial amount of cir stantial evidence for a financial relationship between Trump and Putin or a non-tacit alliance between the two men. Even if you draw no adverse conclusions, Trump's financial empire is heavily leveraged and has a deep reliance on capital infusions from oligarchs and other sources of wealth aligned with Putin. That's simply not something that can be waved off or ignored.
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/...really-a-thing
    Last edited by Splits; 07-23-2016 at 08:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    talkingpointsmemp.com

Didnt Read btw. Too long

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    If Trump and Putin have a relationship of respect with each other, the rest doesn't really matter. Getting along with other large nations is a high priority for any president. Any facts supporting what the OP implies are probably just normal business practices.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump will most likely ally with Russia and China and send Europe to the dustbin of history

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Trump and Putin have a relationship of respect with each other, the rest doesn't really matter. Getting along with other large nations is a high priority for any president. Any facts supporting what the OP implies are probably just normal business practices.

That's the problem, politics (WC's "business") is a make-myself-rich(er) scheme. Even voters "vote their pocketbook"

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...idden-offshore

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Apparently the Russians were responsible for the wikileaks. If true, it all adds up with a Trump/Putin coalition.

Trump speaking glowingly of Putin.

Trump talking about getting out of NATO.

Paul Manafort having strong ties with Pro-Russian politicians in Ukraine.

Trump mostly wearing red ties at his public appearances

Russians stealing emails from the DNC and releasing them on the eve of the DNC which would only hurt Hillary and help Trump.

So basically Comrade Trump is a Russian candidate for the U.S presidency. If he wins, we're ed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at the conspiracy idiots.

Junior Cosmoreds

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Junior Cosmoreds
    This from the guy who thought "the only logical conclusion" for Melania's plagerisim was a Clinton plant.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Junior Cosmoreds
    Still not as bad as the inbred God fearing folk, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This from the guy who thought "the only logical conclusion" for Melania's plagerisim was a Clinton plant.
    He probably watches Alex Jones like the rest of the right wingers.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

That's the problem, politics (WC's "business") is a make-myself-rich(er) scheme. Even voters "vote their pocketbook"

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...idden-offshore
    Only jealous pathetic idiots vote like that.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. And much wiser to befriend Russia than the backwards-culture jihadist terrorist regimes running Turkey, Saudi, Isis, etc...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point, the Trumpanzees would cheer their hero even if he read out the Communist manifesto at one of his rallies. What a time to be alive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump will most likely ally with Russia and China and send Europe to the dustbin of history
    Is that what we want?

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Is that what we want?
    Hater does. He's a Sandinista.

My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count
    At this point, the Trumpanzees would cheer their hero even if he read out the Communist manifesto at one of his rallies. What a time to be alive.
    Russia isn't a communist country anymore. Most of the Bolshevik's descendants immigrated to the United States in the mid 20th century. They're our problem now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Russia isn't a communist country anymore. Most of the Bolshevik's descendants immigrated to the United States in the mid 20th century. They're our problem now.
    I know they aren't. They are an authoritarian, semi-fascist, one-party-state which Trump appears to admire.

However, that doesn't detract from my point of Trump being able to say whatever he wants (and then change his mind multiple times) without losing the support of his brainless minions.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yup. Sad thing is I think he is gonna win ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like a fairly obvious conflict of interest plausibly involving a foreign head of state. Tribalism trumps all, I guess.

cf. Johnny Chung and James Riady.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash's campaign manager is well-connected to, and well paid by, Russians

The Quiet American

Paul Manafort made a career out of stealthily reinventing the world’s nastiest tyrants as noble defenders of freedom. Getting Donald Trump elected will be a cinch.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...g_tyrants.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...a-putin-patsy/

Is Donald Trump a Putin patsy?

What to make of allegations that Putin is assisting Donald Trump's campaign.

By Daniel W. Drezner July 25 at 9:17 AM Daniel W. Drezner is a professor of international politics at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University and a regular contributor to PostEverything.

David Sanger has quite the New York Times story this a.m.:

Proving the source of a cyberattack is notoriously difficult. But researchers have concluded that the [Democratic Party] national committee was breached by two Russian intelligence agencies, which were the same attackers behind previous Russian cyberoperations at the White House, the State Department and the Joint Chiefs of Staff last year. And metadata from the released emails suggests that the do ents passed through Russian computers. Though a hacker claimed responsibility for giving the emails to WikiLeaks, the same agencies are the prime suspects. Whether the thefts were ordered by Mr. Putin, or just carried out by apparatchiks who thought they might please him, is anyone’s guess. …It was a remarkable moment: Even at the height of the Cold War, it was hard to find a presidential campaign willing to charge that its rival was essentially secretly doing the bidding of a key American adversary. But the accusation is emerging as a theme of Mrs. Clinton’s campaign, as part of an attempt to portray Mr. Trump not only as an isolationist, but also as one who would go soft on confronting Russia as it threatens nations that have shown too much independence from Moscow or, in the case of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, joined NATO.

Sanger’s story is simply the cherry on top of the su ion sundae that has been building over the weekend. An awful lot of security contractors have reached this assessment. So have political writers. For example, as commentators, TPM’s Josh Marshall and Bloomberg’s Eli Lake do not agree on much. In recent days, however, both of them have written pieces suggesting that Vladimir Putin’s Russia was likely behind both the hack of Democratic National Committee emails and the sending of them to Wikileaks.

Lake’s column contains a source that’s quite surprising:

Mike Flynn, who served as Defense Intelligence Agency director between 2012 and 2014 and is an adviser to the Trump campaign, told me he wouldn’t be surprised if the Russians were behind the DNC hack. “Both China and Russia have the full capability to do this,” he said. “If someone were to find out Russia did this I would not be surprised at all.”

Marshall’s column is more ambitious in its allegations:

At a minimum, Trump appears to have a deep financial dependence on Russian money from persons close to Putin. And this is matched to a con uous solicitousness to Russian foreign policy interests where they come into conflict with US policies which go back decades through administrations of both parties. There is also something between a non-trivial and a substantial amount of evidence suggesting Putin-backed financial support for Trump or a non-tacit alliance between the two men.

Indeed, as Cheryl Rofer and Franklin Foer have do ented suggestive links between members of Donald Trump’s campaign and the Russian government. Then there are the financial interconnections between Trump’s business and Russia. Last month the Post wrote about the Trump family’s dependence on Russian finance and interest in Russian projects. And it is no secret that the Russian government has deployed a variety of tactics to influence Western democracies ranging from disinformation campaigns to troll armies.

The smoke has gotten thick enough to require a dismissive Trump tweet:
    The new joke in town is that Russia leaked the disastrous DNC e-mails, which should never have been written (stupid), because Putin likes me
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 25, 2016

Indeed, this would be laughable on its face in a normal election cycle if it wasn’t for the fact that:

1. Donald Trump is the GOP nominee for president;
    2. Trump also tweets stuff like this:

Do you think Putin will be going to The Miss Universe Pageant in November in Moscow – if so, will he become my new best friend?
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 19, 2013

So there’s a LOT of smoke. Is there any fire? That is to say, is there any proper causal evidence that Donald J. Trump is a patsy of Vladimir Putin?

First of all, let’s dismiss the part of this story that connects folks like Paul Manafort, Carter Page and Mike Flynn to Russia. Those links are there, but they are also irrelevant for the campaign. If there is anything we have learned about Donald Trump’s campaign to date, it’s that non-family underlings don’t matter. Foreign policy advisers like Page or Flynn certainly don’t matter. I’m not saying that these connections are not worth exploring, just that they are not part of some master grand plan.

Second of all, while the evidence for Russia being behind the DNC hack is certainly suggestive, it’s far from ironclad. Click here, here and here for some critical pushback on these stories. I certainly think the link merits further investigation. But I’m uncomfortable with the ironclad casual assertion that “Russia was behind this” that is starting to form inside the Beltway.

The third and hardest part of this story to dismiss is the money trail. As Marshall noted, Trump has increased his debt load and the dirty little secret is that most U.S. banks don’t loan money to Trump because they don’t trust him. And as Spoiler Alerts discussed last month, “I’m beginning to wonder if [Trump’s] motivation to win now is less about making America great again and more about avoiding yet another Trump bankruptcy.” Cozying up to Russia and Russian money would certainly be one way of bolstering his finances. And one wonders if the reason that Trump won’t release his tax returns is because it would expose Trump’s reliance on foreign money to prop up his companies.

This story is of a kind as stories that accuse Hilary Clinton of being compromised because of foreign sources of funding for the Clinton Global Initiative. Correlation does not prove causation. Just because funders might want to influence powerful people doesn’t mean that they actually do. Indeed, in some cases the ideological affinity was preexisting. The evidence suggests, for example, that Trump had been enamored with Russia for some time, probably because the plethora of plutocrats there jibe most closely with Trump’s view of how to navigate the world. It’s not like Putin needed to change Trump’s mind on anything — Trump’s headspace was already there.

All of this justifies further investigative journalism, but I’m queasy with immediately making the leap from “Russia is behind the DNC hack” to “Russia is trying to put a patsy in the White House.” But there are two conclusions I do draw from this ongoing story. The first is that I really wish those writers who have critiqued the Trump-Russia ties were as vigilant and careful when talking about whether Hillary Clinton has been compromised by foreign funding for the Clinton Global Initiative.

The second is that, even though I don’t buy this story yet, the damning thing about Donald Trump and his odd campaign is that one cannot dismiss the allegations out of hand, either. Which is probably why the Clinton campaign will be pushing this argument as hard as humanly possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This does not mean Trump is controlled by or in the pay of Russia or Putin. It can just as easily be explained by having many of his top advisors having spent years working in Putin's orbit and being aligned with his thinking and agenda. But it is certainly no coincidence. Again, in the context of near total indifference to the platform and willingness to let party activists write it in any way they want, his team zeroed in on one fairly obscure plank to exert maximum force and it just happens to be the one most important to Putin in terms of US policy.
    The "leaked emails" currently plaguing the Democratic party are thought to be the result of the Russian intelligence services' (yes there were more than one) break-in to the DNC servers.

Trump has further stated he would not live up to NATO obligations.

So, it would tantalizingly suggest Trump may have actually cut some sort of secret deal. Deal or no, it is now obvious who Putin is backing.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    what did you expect. trump married a russian.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive...ail&soc_trk=ma

Exclusive: Suspected Russian hack of DNC widens — includes personal email of staffer researching Manafort

Michael IsikoffChief Investigative Correspondent

July 25, 2016

Just weeks after she started preparing opposition research files on Donald Trump’s campaign chairman Paul Manafort last spring, Democratic National Committee consultant Alexandra Chalupa got an alarming message when she logged into her personal Yahoo email account.“Important action required,” read a pop-up box from a Yahoo security team that is informally known as “the Paranoids.” “We strongly suspect that your account has been the target of state-sponsored actors.”

Chalupa — who had been drafting memos and writing emails about Manafort’s connection to pro-Russian political leaders in Ukraine — quickly alerted top DNC officials. “Since I started digging into Manafort, these messages have been a daily oc****currence on my Yahoo account despite changing my p**a*ssword often,” she wrote in a May 3 email to Luis Miranda, the DNC’s communications director, which included an attached screengrab of the image of the Yahoo security warning.

“I was freaked out,” Chalupa, who serves as director of “ethnic engagement” for the DNC, told Yahoo News in an interview, noting that she had been in close touch with sources in Kiev, Ukraine, including a number of investigative journalists, who had been providing her with information about Manafort’s political and business dealings in that country and Russia.

“This is really scary,” she said.

Chalupa’s message is among nearly 20,000 hacked internal DNC emails that were posted over the weekend by WikiLeaks as the Democratic Party gathered for its national convention in Philadelphia. Those emails have already provoked a convulsion in Democratic Party ranks, leading to the resignation of DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz in the wake of posted messages in which she and other top DNC officials privately derided Bernie Sanders and plotted to undercut his insurgent campaign against Hillary Clinton.

But Chalupa’s message, which had not been previously reported, stands out: It is the first indication that the reach of the hackers who penetrated the DNC has extended beyond the official email accounts of committee officials to include their private email and potentially the content on their smartphones. After Chalupa sent the email to Miranda (which mentions that she had invited this reporter to a meeting with Ukrainian journalists in Washington), it triggered high-level concerns within the DNC, given the sensitive nature of her work. “That’s when we knew it was the Russians,” said a Democratic Party source who has knowledge of the internal probe into the hacked emails. In order to stem the damage, the source said, “we told her to stop her research.”

A Yahoo spokesman said the pop-up warning to Chalupa “appears to be one of our notifications” and said it was consistent with a new policy announced by Yahoo on its Tumblr page last December to notify customers when it has strong evidence of “state sponsored” cyberattacks. “Rest assured we only send these notifications of suspected attacks by state-sponsored actors when we have a high degree of confidence,” wrote Bob Lord, the company’s Chief Information Security Officer, in the Tumblr post.

View photos

Asked about charges by Clinton campaign manager Robby Mook that “Russian state actors” hacked the DNC in order to help Trump, who has made sympathetic comments about Russian President Vladimir Putin, Manafort on Sunday dismissed the charges in multiple television interviews as “absurd” and “crazy.” The claims are “pure obfuscation on the part of the Clinton campaign,” Manafort said on ABCs “This Week.” “What they don’t want to talk about is what’s in those emails.”

In mid-June, Democratic Party su ions about the hackers seemed to be confirmed when CrowdStrike, an outside security firm retained by the DNC, reported that it traced the hackers to two separate units linked to Russia’s security services: the FSB, Russia’s equivalent of the FBI, and GRU, the country’s military intelligence agency. The company noted strong similarities between the attack on the DNC by the suspected GRU hackers and previous cyberintrusions of unclassified systems at the White House, the State Department and the offices of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. (After discovering the data breach, a DNC security source said its cyberexperts noted that the hackers’ exfiltration of files took place “9 to 5, Moscow time.”) An FBI official confirmed that the bureau has been investigating the breach for some time, and, according to one source familiar with the matter, Director James Comey has been personally briefed.

The extent of the damage was at first unclear. When they first authorized a public release of the CrowdStrike analysis, party officials said that the hackers had targeted oppo files on Donald Trump. But they told reporters that no personal information about donors had been penetrated. Party officials are no longer standing by those assurances. Two sources familiar with the breach said that the hackers’ reach was far more widespread than initially thought and includes personal data about big party contributors and internal “vetting” evaluations that include embarrassing comments about their business dealings (as well as gossipy internal emails about the private affairs of DNC staffers). One newly posted email discusses a prospective DNC donor’s offering to host a fundraiser with President Obama, noting that he had previously been convicted in a case involving allegations that he killed 50 horses, as part of an insurance fraud scheme. Party officials are bracing for more damaging do ent dumps after Labor Day. “They’re having to do serious damage control with the donors right now,” said a party official familiar with the matter.

There are also signs that the hackers have penetrated the personal email of some Clinton campaign staffers — at least those who were in communication with senior DNC staff members. On May 6, John McCarthy, a DNC consultant who has since joined the Clinton campaign to do outreach to religious groups, sent an email to Chalupa from his personal Gmail account that was then forwarded to other party officials. McCarthy proposed arranging for religious leaders who have “condemned Trump for bringing out the worst in America” to stage a protest at the Republican National Convention. “It would be great to try and engage them and get them to do something at convention, etc. Maybe do a vigil at the Cleveland convention?” McCarthy wrote in the email, which included his personal cellphone number and which has now been posted as part of the WikiLeaks data dump.

There is still much that is not known about the DNC hack and how, if the Russians are indeed behind it, the emails found their way to WikiLeaks. Some commentators have noted that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has in the past hosted a talk show on RT, the Russian television network that serves as a propaganda arm for the Kremlin. (Assange, without providing specifics, recently claimed he will be posting more emails that will be damaging to Clinton and “provide enough evidence” to get her arrested.)

There are also signs that the Obama administration is taking the matter more seriously. The Washington Post reported Monday that White House officials convened a high-level security meeting last Thursday, hours before WikiLeaks began posting the emails, to review information about the DNC attack. Party officials are privately pushing the White House to publicly blame the Russians in the same way it blamed North Korea for the cyberattack on Sony and China for intrusions into U.S. companies. “The last time somebody broke into the DNC, it led to the resignation of a president,” said the Democratic Party security source, referring to the Watergate scandal. In some ways, the source insisted, the current cyberheist — what some in party circles are already calling a “21st century Watergate” — is even more sinister, the source said. “This is the Russians screwing with the integrity of our election process.”

Side note: named "Chalupa"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump may have gotten a bounce in polls because of the leaks, but after the DNC is over.... The only thing Trump is going to bounce on is on Putin's tiny

Thread Information