Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be a high scoring floptrot game

Serious question (not talking ): Do you get bored easily?

I mean, most sporting events last from 3 hours to 8 hours per day in test cricket. Golf round is about 6 hours. Men's tennis match is 3-4 hours. Motorsports can last from 2 to 24 hours (LeMans). NBA games average about 2 hours and 45 minutes.
    High scoring in 90 minutes, not in 265 minute that it took to complete

To answer your question, No. My time is money. Sports are entertainment. I like to know an approximate start/end time.

Football gives it to you exactly. Basketball is in range, but I don't watch it live unless it is playoffs (record or watch reg season on time delay so I can fast forward through commercials). Cricket, both original and American version are re ed. Racing is stupid. Golf is stupid. I do like mens tennis, but only the majors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    High scoring in 90 minutes, not in 265 minute that it took to complete

To answer your question, No. My time is money. Sports are entertainment. I like to know an approximate start/end time.

Football gives it to you exactly. Basketball is in range, but I don't watch it live unless it is playoffs (record or watch reg season on time delay so I can fast forward through commercials). Cricket, both original and American version are re ed. Racing is stupid. Golf is stupid. I do like mens tennis, but only the majors.
    How do you figure that when most of those games (because there is never any scoring) go into extra time/shootout and last about 2 and half hours, which is only 30 minutes less than the average baseball game?

Fair enough. But that is exactly my problem with floptrot. They're so strict about their time constraints, you never feel the true winner is determined for any match, even in the EPL where they have to arbitrarily create stupid in' like away goals difference. God forbid a game going into overtime! It's not like those hooligans have anything better to do anyway. So what if they're late to the pub by 30 minutes?

And then Mario Party to decide a winner :

The sport just feels contrived.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you figure that when most of those games (because there is never any scoring) go into extra time/shootout and last about 2 and half hours, which is only 30 minutes less than the average baseball game?

Fair enough. But that is exactly my problem with floptrot. They're so strict about their time constraints, you never feel the true winner is determined for any match, even in the EPL where they have to arbitrarily create stupid in' like away goals difference. God forbid a game going into overtime! It's not like those hooligans have anything better to do anyway. So what if they're late to the pub by 30 minutes?

And then Mario Party to decide a winner :

The sport just feels contrived.
    Wut?

Only during elimination rounds will a match go past 90 minutes.

Yeah, shootouts suck, but at least I don't have to potentially waste 4:25 to watch a 2-1 "pitching matchup" only to receive 1 point out of 162.

Every football game means something. No fatball game means anything when you play 162.

Also, how the can you play 162 games and have a 1-game playoff?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wut?

Only during elimination rounds will a match go past 90 minutes.

Yeah, shootouts suck, but at least I don't have to potentially waste 4:25 to watch a 2-1 "pitching matchup" only to receive 1 point out of 162.

Every football game means something. No fatball game means anything when you play 162.

Also, how the can you play 162 games and have a 1-game playoff?
    I'm talking about elimination games. The only games worth watching in povertyball (bringing this back until you stop with fatball, a nonsensical description considering the far superior athletes the MLB has to povertyball). That said, the league rules in most povertyball leagues are stuck on stupid.

Originally, the away goal rule was introduced in football as an expedited way of doing away with playoffs or tie breakers on neutral grounds to resolve a logistical, physical and calendar problem when two teams were so closely matched the final score over the two legs remained in absolute parity, which could remain even after a third game tie breaker. Now, the away goals rule is intended to encourage the away team to be more aggressive.
    Translation: "Our sport is so poorly designed, we need to incentivize "aggressive play" so we can get some scoring and action in this dull game."

Every game always means something. Or teams wouldn't routinely miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 games. Perception doesn't equal reality in this case.

I don't like the Wildcard. So we agree there.

I "get it," though. In and out in 2 hours and time for the pub and fish and chips! Sports be damned!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Football season needs to hurry the up, imo tbqh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Football season needs to hurry the up, imo tbqh.
    Blech.

Goodellball is not real football. The NFL has been annoying me as much as povertyball over the past few years. Soooo many commercials, and you can't in' breathe on a QB without a flag being thrown. The National FLAG League, indeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would rather play fatball than Handegg. At least with fatball, it's impossible to play the sport of you didnt play it at least in HS...

Handegg...be fat and big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blech.

Goodellball is not real football. The NFL has been annoying me as much as povertyball over the past few years. Soooo many commercials, and you can't in' breathe on a QB without a flag being thrown. The National FLAG League, indeed.
    Was really referring to NCAA football tbh.

I watch the NFL, but college football is life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blech.

Agreed. American Football is unwatchable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You watch the outta it. Stop lying to these good folks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It could be if they cut down the commercials and actually let players hit each other ( concussions).

Back in the day, the commercial break was usually limited to a 30 second spot at the 2 minute warnings and you could actually hit the QB a millisecond late without being whistled up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You watch the outta it. Stop lying to these good folks.
    Mid was talkin' NFL, which I surely do not watch. At all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    College football still is "American Football"....and you watch the outta it.

Looks like the Big 12 is gonna add some teams...going to 14 from what Ive read.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The modern NFL is terrible, and this country's obsession with it puzzles me as much as the worldwide obsession with soccer.

I really think the NFL rose to prominence because of gambling (much easier to handicap 16 games than 82 or 162) and fantasy, not because it's this intrinsically awesome sports league. It also helps that the low amount of regular season games makes each game feel like a playoff game.

I like football the sport, but hate the NFL's presentation of it over the past decade or so. Having a commercial after the kickoff WHEN YOU JUST GOT BACK FROM A 4 MINUTE COMMERCIAL. It's absurd.

75 minutes of commercials in every NFL broadcast, compared to 42 for baseball and 45 for basketball:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The modern NFL is terrible, and this country's obsession with it puzzles me as much as the worldwide obsession with soccer.

I really think the NFL rose to prominence because of gambling (much easier to handicap 16 games than 82 or 162) and fantasy, not because it's this intrinsically awesome sports league. It also helps that the low amount of regular season games makes each game feel like a playoff game.

I like football the sport, but hate the NFL's presentation of it over the past decade or so. Having a commercial after the kickoff WHEN YOU JUST GOT BACK FROM A 4 MINUTE COMMERCIAL. It's absurd.

75 minutes of commercials in every NFL broadcast, compared to 42 for baseball and 45 for basketball:

To the bold, it is very simple: VIOLENCE. This country is obsessed with mass violence. Some relish it. Some condemn it. They all revel in it.

To your table, ummmm, yeah. Basically everything I have said the past year about clock duration and committed-time-to-value (%action), although I've never watched a football match with 38 30sec commercials unless you include half-time.

QED

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To each his own. You're puzzled how people can watch the NFL, and I for the life of me can't understand how somebody can sit and watch an entire baseball game. Baseball puts me to sleep faster than ing golf does.

Doesn't mean I'm/You're right or wrong...we just enjoy different things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To the bold, it is very simple: VIOLENCE. This country is obsessed with mass violence. Some relish it. Some condemn it. They all revel in it.

To your table, ummmm, yeah. Basically everything I have said the past year about clock duration and committed-time-to-value (%action), although I've never watched a football match with 38 30sec commercials unless you include half-time.

QED
    I think they mean aggregate time, so that figure includes half-time.

What I hate about the "action" definition in these analyses is that they only consider "ball in play" as action. I disagree with that reduction. Take a one run situation in baseball. Two men on. Two outs. Pitcher and batter are dueling. That whole sequence is tense, and even moments where the ball isn't "in play" are entertaining as you watch the pitcher mentally reset after every fouled off pitch and wonder who is going to win the confrontation.

Just like a basketball FT during a crucial time. The ball isn't in play, but the situation isn't boring because of the tension.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To each his own. You're puzzled how people can watch the NFL, and I for the life of me can't understand how somebody can sit and watch an entire baseball game. Baseball puts me to sleep faster than ing golf does.

Doesn't mean I'm/You're right or wrong...we just enjoy different things.
    Not puzzled how they can watch it, I'm puzzled by the frothing-at-the-mouth obsession the US has with the league, especially in its current bas ized form.

I speak as a life-long NFL fan, but the game has changed over the past 10 or so years, everything from Goodell's rules to the absurd amount of commercials.

Yeah, this is fun to watch:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...hrough-week-3/

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la...04-column.html

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    It could be if they cut down the commercials and actually let players hit each other ( concussions).

Back in the day, the commercial break was usually limited to a 30 second spot at the 2 minute warnings and you could actually hit the QB a millisecond late without being whistled up.
    The players also weren't as big back then. They simply can't let them launch and hit like they used to because forget about concussions, we're talking about life and death. Also, those who used to brag about how hard they played in the 70's, 80's and 90's are some of the biggest whiners and lawsuiters of the NFL these days over withheld information. o? You played football, arguably the most dangerous sport around and you also played it all out. The NFL shouldn't have to tell you to be careful.

As for soccer, they really should allow poaching or relax the offsides rule. There basically is no such thing as a fast break in soccer and it shows given the final scores. As if it isn't hard enough to score using your feet to move the ball around defenders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i remember Camp Nou in Barcelona being a tad bit wider than normal until a few years ago.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count

You ever heard of this thing called NFL redzone?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baseball is like nascar, where all the venues have a unique feel, playing area, and aura.

Really the only time that wasn't so was when several teams like Cincy, Pittsburgh, Philly, etc. Played in cookie cutter stadiums during the 70s and 80s.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Should the Worriers rim be 10'2" and the Cavs 9'10"?

Should the Spurs court be 98 feet long and the Heat 92?

Should the Patriots field be 60 yards wide and the Niners 50?

Should the Packers put a flagpole in the middle of Lambeau to make things interesting?

having an incline with a flagpole on the field
    can't wait till someone goes headfirst into it
    playing on 30 different fields
    why not make base paths different lengths in different stadiums?
    designated hitters
    pitchers are too stupid or lazy to learn to hit a ball
    different rules in different leagues
    fatbol
    Holy

fatbol

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Baseball is better, it's a game of skill. It's ok if you don't like the game because it's more of a smart person sport (Not a surprise Japanese loves the game tbh). Soccer is for stupid people, it's way too simple made to entertain people in third world countries.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Baseball is better, it's a game of skill. It's ok if you don't like the game because it's more of a smart person sport (Not a surprise Japanese loves the game tbh). Soccer is for stupid people, it's way too simple made to entertain people in third world countries.
    S&H

Thread Information