Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get in here resistanze, get in here hater. You guys bought GTX 970s too, right? $30 free money es for Nvidia lying (LOL lawyers get $1.3 million)

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...-class-action/

Graphics card manufacturer Nvidia agreed to a preliminary settlement that will resolve claims in a group of proposed class action lawsuits that center around allegations that the company misled consumers about the performance and storage capabilities of its product.

Nvidia says it will pay each buyer of the graphics card $30 and will pay an additional $1.3 million in attorneys’ fees, according to settlement do ents.

The overall settlement amount was not publicly disclosed within court papers, however Nvidia agreed to pay all consumers who purchased the GTX 970 graphics card and indicated there would not be a cap on the total amount it would pay consumers.

“The settlement is fair and reasonable and falls within the range of possible approval,” attorneys for the proposed Class said in the filing. “It is the product of extended arms-length negotiations between experienced attorneys familiar with the legal and factual issues of this case and all settlement class members are treated fairly under the terms of the settlement.”

The initial proposed class action lawsuit in a series of lawsuits against Nvidia was filed in February 2015 and alleged that the company engaged in false advertising, deceptive business practice, unlawful is practices and violated California’s business law for unfair business practices.

The initial claim accused Nvidia of having a graphics card that operated on 3.5 GB but was advertised as operating with a full 4 GB of video access memory, plus another .5 GB that was separated from the rest of the memory.

Another proposed class action lawsuit in the series was filed the following month and also alleged similar claims about the gigabyte amounts and separation, saying the product was falsely advertised and negligently represented.

The recent settlement with Nvidia includes a total of 15 consumer class action lawsuits that were consolidated in Northern California as well is a pending action in San Diego, according to court do ents.

In addition to the size of video access memory and its setup, the consumers also accused Nvidia of having 64 render output processors rather than the 56 that were advertised and of having smaller specialized memory cache than advertised.

The consumers claimed that overall, Nvidia omitted information that was important for buyers to understand as they made their purchases, causing potential Class Members to purchase products with lower functionality and capabilities than what was advertised.

Nvidia denied all allegations of wrongdoing, and both parties entered into the settlement and agreed upon the terms, believing them to be in the best interests of all parties involved.

Nvidia graphics cards cost approximately $350 and the anticipated $30 payout was calculated to represent a portion of the cost of the storage and performance capabilities the consumers thought they were obtaining in the purchase of the product, according to the proposed settlement.

Instructions on how to file a claim for the Nvidia class action settlement were not immediately available. Keep checking TopClassActions.com or sign up for our free newsletter for the latest updates. You can also “Follow” this case using your free Top Class Actions account to receive notifications when this article is updated.

The consumers are represented by Alan M. Mansfield of Whatley Kallas LLP and L. Timothy Fisher and Neal J. Deckant of Bursor & Fisher LLP.

The Nvidia Graphics Card False Advertising Class Action Lawsuit is In re: Nvidia GTX 970 Graphics Chip Litigation, Case No. 4:15-cv-00760, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AMD has to be pissed, they lost out on so many sales. Had I known about the gimped 512MB of VRAM when I got my GTX 970 I would have 100% bought an R9 290x instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have two GTX 970 here at the office

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Get in here resistanze, get in here hater. You guys bought GTX 970s too, right? $30 free money es for Nvidia lying (LOL lawyers get $1.3 million)

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...-class-action/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fck nvidia

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    30 dollars seem pretty petty compared to the heartache and absolute despair of actually getting a 3.5 GB true VRAM card vs 4 GB

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats why you go AMD; NVIDIA has been making ty cards for decades

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AMD is the one making ty cards right now though. LOL at the RX 480 just pulling even with the GTX 970 in performance per watt when the 970 used a 28 nm node and the 480 is on 14 nm. Embarrassing, and telling why AMD is pushing multi GPU now since they have no shot of even being in the ballpark with an X Pascal with any card they can make when they can't even get power under control in their lower midrange card. With how lousy multi gpu support has been in the last year there is no way buying two RX 480 is a reasonable option. Sucks that AMD's design is so ty because I was looking forward to Vega 10 this fall, but they're probably going to need to make that a 300W card to be even compe ive with GTX 1080. No way in I'm buying a 300W card.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AMD is the one making ty cards right now though. LOL at the RX 480 just pulling even with the GTX 970 in performance per watt when the 970 used a 28 nm node and the 480 is on 14 nm. Embarrassing, and telling why AMD is pushing multi GPU now since they have no shot of even being in the ballpark with an X Pascal with any card they can make when they can't even get power under control in their lower midrange card. With how lousy multi gpu support has been in the last year there is no way buying two RX 480 is a reasonable option. Sucks that AMD's design is so ty because I was looking forward to Vega 10 this fall, but they're probably going to need to make that a 300W card to be even compe ive with GTX 1080. No way in I'm buying a 300W card.
    I used to be a loyal NVIDIA customer. After their cards started burning out in less than 2 years, I decided to try AMD. Never had a card burn out on me once, and the one I'm using now is close to 4 years old. Sometimes you have to look past the fine print and just go for quality and reliability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anyone tried it with Beats?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I used to be a loyal NVIDIA customer. After their cards started burning out in less than 2 years, I decided to try AMD. Never had a card burn out on me once, and the one I'm using now is close to 4 years old. Sometimes you have to look past the fine print and just go for quality and reliability.
    AMD has no card worth buying for me right now. An RX 480 isn't any stronger than my 970. Fury X would be a nice upgrade but it's more expensive than the 1070 and weaker, and the card costs way too much for AMD to produce for them to be profitable dropping its price to the 1070 level. So Fury X is out. Meanwhile Nvidia has three cards out that would be pretty serious upgrades for me: GTX 980 Ti, GTX 1070, and GTX 1080.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol @ "I bought the Geo because I had a Benz and it breaks too much" argument

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol @ "I bought the Geo because I had a Benz and it breaks too much" argument
    So you're saying Geos use twice the gallons per mile that Benzos do?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're saying Geos use twice the gallons per mile that Benzos do?
    aspirated vs turbo, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    resistanze

Did You Buy a GTX 970? Nvidia Owes You $30 if You Live in the US

Anyone in the United States who purchased a GTX 970 may be eligible for a $30 payout from Nvidia, thanks to a proposed settlement in a class-action lawsuit.

Last year, a series of lawsuits were filed against Nvidia and Nvidia card manufacturers over what amounts to false advertising. (The lawsuits were then consolidated into one in March 2015). The main issue raised in the lawsuit was that the GTX 970, advertised as having 4 GB of VRAM, in fact does not--at least not exactly.

Within a few months of the the 970's launch in September 2014, owners discovered that games that used more than 3.5 GB of memory ran into performance issues that weren't happening on the GTX 980. The following January, Nvidia revealed that the configuration for streaming multiprocessors on the two cards are different.

As a result, the 970's memory was split into 3.5 GB and 0.5 GB sections. It claimed this didn't result in a meaningful impact on performance, but as PC Gamer reported at the time, numerous users reported issues when playing games that used more than 3.5 GB of VRAM. It was also discovered by PC Perspective that the 970 had a smaller L2 cache and fewer render output processors than Nvidia had originally claimed.

These three shortcomings comprised the lawsuit's allegations that the 970 was sold "based on misleading representations" and "do not operate as represented."

Rather than risk this going any further, the two sides have reached a proposed settlement, paperwork for which was filed in a US District Court in California this week. As part of this, Nvidia won't admit any liability, which is standard in a situation like this. It will, however, pay out $30 for each 970 purchased in the US to anyone who submits a valid claim. Before this can happen, the court will need to approve the settlement during a hearing on August 24.

If approved, eligible owners will be notified of the settlement by October 23, and all claims will need to be filed by December 21. Alternatively, anyone who bought a 970 and is unwilling to accept the $30 payout can opt out and pursue their own litigation.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    resistanze

Did You Buy a GTX 970? Nvidia Owes You $30 if You Live in the US

Anyone in the United States who purchased a GTX 970 may be eligible for a $30 payout from Nvidia, thanks to a proposed settlement in a class-action lawsuit.

Last year, a series of lawsuits were filed against Nvidia and Nvidia card manufacturers over what amounts to false advertising. (The lawsuits were then consolidated into one in March 2015). The main issue raised in the lawsuit was that the GTX 970, advertised as having 4 GB of VRAM, in fact does not--at least not exactly.

Within a few months of the the 970's launch in September 2014, owners discovered that games that used more than 3.5 GB of memory ran into performance issues that weren't happening on the GTX 980. The following January, Nvidia revealed that the configuration for streaming multiprocessors on the two cards are different.

As a result, the 970's memory was split into 3.5 GB and 0.5 GB sections. It claimed this didn't result in a meaningful impact on performance, but as PC Gamer reported at the time, numerous users reported issues when playing games that used more than 3.5 GB of VRAM. It was also discovered by PC Perspective that the 970 had a smaller L2 cache and fewer render output processors than Nvidia had originally claimed.

These three shortcomings comprised the lawsuit's allegations that the 970 was sold "based on misleading representations" and "do not operate as represented."

Rather than risk this going any further, the two sides have reached a proposed settlement, paperwork for which was filed in a US District Court in California this week. As part of this, Nvidia won't admit any liability, which is standard in a situation like this. It will, however, pay out $30 for each 970 purchased in the US to anyone who submits a valid claim. Before this can happen, the court will need to approve the settlement during a hearing on August 24.

If approved, eligible owners will be notified of the settlement by October 23, and all claims will need to be filed by December 21. Alternatively, anyone who bought a 970 and is unwilling to accept the $30 payout can opt out and pursue their own litigation.
    Bruh - you forget that I moved to San Francisco? I built my rig a few weeks after the move last summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL newegg just sent me an email about the settlement. I'm not sure why they would have anything to do with it. But what's even more puzzling is they're emailing GTX 980 and GTX 960 owners about settlements involving their cards too.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    LOL newegg just sent me an email about the settlement. I'm not sure why they would have anything to do with it. But what's even more puzzling is they're emailing GTX 980 and GTX 960 owners about settlements involving their cards too.
    I started checking all of my emails, then realized I bought t off Amazon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soooo I got these emails today:

We have been informed about a class action lawsuit settlement with AMD regarding the R9 graphics card. Newegg is currently awaiting details about the settlement claims process (instructions, website). Once we have this important information, we will send you a follow-up email with the specifics on how you can submit your claim.

If you have any questions regarding the information provided in this email, please don't hesitate to contact Newegg Customer Service through one of the convenient contact methods provided here.

Sincerely,
    Your Newegg Customer Support Team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And then:

You recently received an email from us regarding a class action lawsuit related to an AMD-based product that you purchased. This email was sent in error as AMD is not involved in such lawsuit. We apologize for any misunderstanding this may have caused.

If you have any questions regarding the information provided in this email, please don't hesitate to contact Newegg Customer Service through one of the convenient contact methods provided here.

Sincerely,
    Your Newegg Customer Support Team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if the 960 and 980 owners got the same retraction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I started checking all of my emails, then realized I bought t off Amazon
    Dude, Amazon was offering full refunds back when the news broke last year. You should see if you can get one and use that money to get a 1070 instead.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Dude, Amazon was offering full refunds back when the news broke last year. You should see if you can get one and use that money to get a 1070 instead.
    , that was early last year. Some people even hustled their way to 20-30% refund.

Thread Information