Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was just a matter of time, tbh..White American basketball players are obsolete, there's a reason the % of them has declined by nearly 30% in the past 25 years or so..PC aside, it just isn't their sport, and there are very few that are effective NBA players..

As for Bonner, I've always been a fan and defended him here, the hate has been excessive..he was asked to play a role that he shouldn't have been playing(#2 big), which is the fault of Pop and the front office..he was a great, high-impact regular season player that consistently failed in the playoffs, mostly due to his designated role..

At the time, he was a very unique player in the NBA, a stretch big with high impact that was only recognized by numbers-oriented fans..also, unlike guys like Ryan Anderson, Matty was never a defensive liability, which was another uncommon trait for a primarily shooting big man..he suffered from negative perception due to his appearance, tbh..stylistically, he'll go down as the 2nd or 3rd most influential Spurs player of this era, only behind Manu(and maybe Parker) IMO..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite their very different personalities and salaries, I'd say that's an excellent comparison.

The VAST difference in Bonner's popularity between this board and my real-life experience, I'm theorizing, is due to my existence of being in a mostly white-bred professional office setting. I think those of us who are from the WASPy, male, middle class and white background are going to identify with and appreciate the guy who came from a similar background and made the most of his height and talent to succeed in the NBA, whereas this board has more of the traditional south Texas Latino culture and, speaking very generally here, prefers their heroes to be more of the athletic, gunslinging, superhuman type.

Bonner's contributions (real or supposed) to the team are more subtle, as evidenced by the classic argument here of the positive-connotation references to his advanced plus/minus, win shares, etc, and the negative-connotation references to "he spaces the floor." There are arguments to be made both ways, so it largely comes down to, who do we identify with? Us office folk totally identify with him, and the non-office types don't.
    I guess you haven't been on this board long or not familiar with different cultures but most of the 'traditional south Texas Latino' population do not identify with the athletic, gunslinging, superhuman type. Rather we prefer the team-oriented, ball sharing, sum of the parts is greater than the whole mentality that the Spurs organization (and international basketball) offers. If Bonner is the type of player that the white-bred professional office setting idolizes then perhaps you need to higher aspirations. Bonners play was efficient. The type of effort that a coach could expect every night. Far from spectacular or an X Factor.
    This comes from an highly-educated, intelligent, academia type.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    stylistically, he'll go down as the 2nd or 3rd most influential Spurs player of this era, only behind Manu(and maybe Parker) IMO..
    I'd argue that he's easily the most influential player of the past 20 years. No joke. Only Spur who's close is Manu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess you haven't been on this board long or not familiar with different cultures
    Hard to say. I lived in San Antonio for a decade and live in Brooklyn now, in a heavily Spanish-speaking area. I feel like I have a lot of exposure to Latino cultures but who's to say.

Rather we prefer the team-oriented, ball sharing, sum of the parts is greater than the whole mentality that the Spurs organization (and international basketball) offers.
    Your statement in a vacuum makes sense. But in the context of the thread, doesn't that preference describe Matt Bonner to a T? And if so, why the disparity between this board and my in-person San Antonio experience?

If Bonner is the type of player that the white-bred professional office setting idolizes then perhaps you need to higher aspirations.
    Haha, nice try, but my text of "identifies with and appreciates" doesn't quite equate to "idolozies." Given your self-description of being a highly-educated, intelligent, academia type, I suspect you threw that shady logic-bender in on purpose.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner's contributions (real or supposed) to the team are more subtle, as evidenced by the classic argument here of the positive-connotation references to his advanced plus/minus, win shares, etc, and the negative-connotation references to "he spaces the floor." There are arguments to be made both ways, so it largely comes down to, who do we identify with? Us office folk totally identify with him, and the non-office types don't.
    So Bonner is our Jason Witten?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spurs version of Diaw 2.0 is the most aesthetically pleasing stretch forward type Spurs had when I started watching Spurs. He was my favorite. It's no surprise the pupil Anderson captured my heart. Lol

Compared to that: meh. Bon bon had no flair, he's not fluid at all in anything. One of the most awkward looking athletes save Austin Daye. I am not a fan of the high flying superman types myself. Not a huge fan of Simmons fir example bc I don't care for the dunks unless he shows me something else like Kawhi who shows me different stuff all the time.

Anyways, I like intelligent crafty players and Bonner just stands in the wing ready to wind up for two seconds and shoot. He was ok in a very limited role but he's not pleasant to the eye.

He's a nice and funny quirky guy though. Bonner the person can't be disliked I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spurs version of Diaw 2.0 is the most aesthetically pleasing stretch forward type Spurs had when I started watching Spurs. He was my favorite. It's no surprise the pupil Anderson captured my heart. Lol

Compared to that: meh. Bon bon had no flair, he's not fluid at all in anything. One of the most awkward looking athletes save Austin Daye. I am not a fan of the high flying superman types myself. Not a huge fan of Simmons fir example bc I don't care for the dunks unless he shows me something else like Kawhi who shows me different stuff all the time.

Anyways, I like intelligent crafty players and Bonner just stands in the wing ready to wind up for two seconds and shoot. He was ok in a very limited role but he's not pleasant to the eye.

He's a nice and funny quirky guy though. Bonner the person can't be disliked I think.
    This and this..... Good post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite their very different personalities and salaries, I'd say that's an excellent comparison.

The VAST difference in Bonner's popularity between this board and my real-life experience, I'm theorizing, is due to my existence of being in a mostly white-bred professional office setting. I think those of us who are from the WASPy, male, middle class and white background are going to identify with and appreciate the guy who came from a similar background and made the most of his height and talent to succeed in the NBA, whereas this board has more of the traditional south Texas Latino culture and, speaking very generally here, prefers their heroes to be more of the athletic, gunslinging, superhuman type.

I'm not white an I've always loved Bonner! I have his jersey an everything..... Like I've always said "He's my white brotha from anotha motha motha "

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was just a matter of time, tbh..White American basketball players are obsolete, there's a reason the % of them has declined by nearly 30% in the past 25 years or so..PC aside, it just isn't their sport, and there are very few that are effective NBA players..

As for Bonner, I've always been a fan and defended him here, the hate has been excessive..he was asked to play a role that he shouldn't have been playing(#2 big), which is the fault of Pop and the front office..he was a great, high-impact regular season player that consistently failed in the playoffs, mostly due to his designated role..

At the time, he was a very unique player in the NBA, a stretch big with high impact that was only recognized by numbers-oriented fans..also, unlike guys like Ryan Anderson, Matty was never a defensive liability, which was another uncommon trait for a primarily shooting big man..he suffered from negative perception due to his appearance, tbh..stylistically, he'll go down as the 2nd or 3rd most influential Spurs player of this era, only behind Manu(and maybe Parker) IMO..

The problem with all that is that the ONLY role that Bonner fit was "energy guy off the bench". He could come in and battle for a few boards, drop a couple of 3-pointers, and help change the momentum of a sagging game. He clearly wasn't starter caliber. He was VERY awkward when he put the ball on the floor. He wasn't very good at posting up other players, even when he had what should have been a mis-match. He wasn't an exceptional passer like Diaw. (He wasn't awful, he just didn't create offense with his passing like Bobo.) He was an adequate defender against other bench players, but no more than adequate. You can't even think about arguing that he was a force on the defensive end, and he didn't have great foot speed for staying in front of smaller, quick players.

You're absolutely right that casting him as the #2 big was a king-sized up by PATFO. But before that, he had been that "energy guy off the bench", who averaged about 12 minutes and 5 points per game. That role was perfect for him. But it's hard to make a case for a guy like that being the 2nd or 3rd most influential player - unless you're counting the fact that the years that Bonner played the biggest role were also the worst years of the Duncan era. If the Spurs had a better player in that role, they would have been a better team - but Bonner would also been a 12 minute per game extra. Any way you slice it, Bonner was NOT a major contributor to Spurs success. Contributor? At times. But not major. It would be a lot easier to make the case that when Bonner played the biggest role, the Spurs were the least successful. It's kind of hard to read that as positive.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner was seriously the worst playoff choker this team had in the Tim Duncan era. His only saving grace was he showed up for a few games during the 2014 run. Outside of that the guy has been fool's gold for much of his run in SA.

PRESSURE MAKES DIAMONDS
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/sp...with-the-spurs

Not only is the Duncan-era over, the Bonner-era may be over in San Antonio.
    With the San Antonio Spurs roster pretty much at max, the odd man out heading into next season is free agent forward Matt Bonner.

Bonner, who spent 10 seasons with the Spurs, spoke withConcord News Radio on his future in the NBA and said he is still looking for a team next season and is hoping an opportunity will open up.

When it came to re-signing with the Spurs, Bonner said there hasn't been any movement on either side to re-upping with the team and admits he probably won't be with San Antonio next season.

"Currently they haven't signed me. Unless something changes going into the season, I'm probably not going to be with the Spurs."
    Bonner was part of the Spurs' 2007, and 2014 championship runs. He averaged 5.5 points, 2.9 rebounds and shot 41 percent form the 3-point line during his run with San Antonio.

A fan-favorite for most of his time in San Antonio, Bonner kept fans entertained with his "Sandwich Hunter" blog, representing the Spurs at the 2013 NBA All-Star 3-point Shootout and hilarious "Coach B" series. But with the Spurs transitioning from the Tim Duncan-era and bringing in younger players, Bonner's fate in San Antonio was all but sealed.

Bonner said he still wants to play in the NBA and is hoping he and his agent will find a new team soon.
    Good luck Matty! Thank for the memories. You will be missed. Especially your awesome dunks!
    Finally, Pop, you moron.

And Bonner ain't no ing fan favourite...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    did he sign with a team yet?

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonbon

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be nice if he settled for a job on the Spurs' staff... having someone around with his personality is a good thing...

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mtfkr wanted a contract with the Celtics.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mtfkr wanted a contract with the Celtics.
    How is that funny?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally, Pop, you moron.

And Bonner ain't no ing fan favourite...
    Bonner is most definitely a fan favorite. The small population here that consistently hates on the guy doesn't represent the entire fanbase

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I live in SA. No one gives a about Matt Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I live in SA. No one gives a about Matt Bonner.

Uh false. His jersey is sold in the gift shop, regularly worn by fans, and gets A very loud ovation when he comes in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner is the blue collar everyday man that people can relate to...the weekend warrior non freakish athlete...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always thought it was a tangible honor that Bonner's teammates and coaches all gave him praise for his skills and his at ude as a teammate. Willing to do the job/minutes he was given without ing or whining and doing it to the best of his ability. There were years when his ability to make the 3pt shot meant a lot to the team, even beyond the points. I have a lot of respect for the man because he was a hard working compe or and good teammate.

When your teammates and coaches are behind you, you can pretty much ignore the asshole wannabe critics. So thanks for all your efforts, Red Mamba. Like a lot of Spur warriors you will leave the floor but not be forgotten.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As stoked as I am Bonner looks like going, its somewhat hampered by the new overstaying dud, Mr Anderson.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh false. His jersey is sold in the gift shop, regularly worn by fans, and gets A very loud ovation when he comes in.
    I mean someone is going to guy those shirts. In comparison to the other jerseys, he doesn't. No one in the ing Spurs media even gave a about Matt.

Thread Information