Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    check this run by france in WC'06:

they had a slow start in the group stage but then they went through this ridiculous road:
    spain (xavi,raul,iniesta,alonso,puyol,ramos, fabregas,torres,villa,cassilas, joaquin, etc)
    brazil (cafu, lucio, adriano, kaka, ronaldinho, robinho, carlos, juninho, ze roberto)
    portugal (figo, penaldo, deco, gomes, ferreira, carvalho)
    italy ( cannavaro, buffon, del pierro, totti, toni, nesta, zambrotta, inzaghi, pirlo, de rossi, materazzi)
    in the same bracket were also strong netherlands and england sides, just for kicks.

shame france couldn't win it. it was the best run I've seen live.

also as a sidenote, it was one of the best tournaments, with MANY excellent teams and games : germany,italy,france,argentina,portugal, england, netherlands, brazil, spain .. 9 teams could've won it tbh .. even smaller teams played great football and had good/great talent (mexico, ukraine, ivory coast). In comparison, the last 2 world cups were subpar from a quality pov tbh, probably that's why we won in '14.

Veteran
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Just Zidane doing his normal GOAT things.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Just Zidane doing his normal GOAT things.
    son zidane is the real GOAT tbh and every knowledgeable fan knows it.

I've seen maradona live, I've seen missy, I've seen peak ronaldinho/ronaldo(s), I've seen pele games on tape .... but zidane was just something else, a graceful artist both individually and teamwise, a combination of GOAT individual play&skills, GOAT cerebral team play, elite leadership and a thug-level mean streak.

Veteran
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    son zidane is the real GOAT tbh and every knowledgeable fan knows it.

I've seen maradona live, I've seen missy, I've seen peak ronaldinho/ronaldo(s), I've seen pele games on tape .... but zidane was just something else, a graceful artist both individually and teamwise, a combination of GOAT individual play&skills, GOAT cerebral team play, elite leadership and a thug-level mean streak.
    Yup.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Argentina had it difficult in 78, France and Italy in first group stage, then battling Brazil in the second group stage and Holland in the final. Argentina was good but any of the semi finalists deserved to win. Brazil didn't lost any game, Italy hit the woodwork 3 times vs Brazil for the third place and won the game vs Argentina, Holland hit the woodwork shortly before the end of the regulation time in the final vs Argentina.

Thankfully second group stages were replaced by knockouts since '86.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    check this run by france in WC'06:

they had a slow start in the group stage but then they went through this ridiculous road:
    spain (xavi,raul,iniesta,alonso,puyol,ramos, fabregas,torres,villa,cassilas, joaquin, etc)
    brazil (cafu, lucio, adriano, kaka, ronaldinho, robinho, carlos, juninho, ze roberto)
    portugal (figo, penaldo, deco, gomes, ferreira, carvalho)
    italy ( cannavaro, buffon, del pierro, totti, toni, nesta, zambrotta, inzaghi, pirlo, de rossi, materazzi)
    in the same bracket were also strong netherlands and england sides, just for kicks.

shame france couldn't win it. it was the best run I've seen live.

also as a sidenote, it was one of the best tournaments, with MANY excellent teams and games : germany,italy,france,argentina,portugal, england, netherlands, brazil, spain .. 9 teams could've won it tbh .. even smaller teams played great football and had good/great talent (mexico, ukraine, ivory coast). In comparison, the last 2 world cups were subpar from a quality pov tbh, probably that's why we won in '14.
    What Zidane did at the '06 WC was outlandish, no player has dominated like that since Maradona's prime. After the match vs Brazil Pelé said Zidane was top 3 all time. Which was very obvious, even when stats or awards may suggest otherwise.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    About '06, Italy finally managed to break their unlucky streak, that run since around Italy '90. Always close, but eliminated in penalty shootouts and unlucky cir stances.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Zidane's run in '06 is so overrated.

He literally had just 2 good games (Spain and Brazil). After the group stage of that tournament I remember folks talking about how he shouldn't even wait for the tournament to be over for him to retire.

And no, no trully knowladgeable fan can ever think Zidane is even close to be the GOAT. He isn't even the best player of his generation.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Zidane isn't the GOAT but he still s on Misty obviously

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count

He literally had just 2 good games (Spain and Brazil). After the group stage of that tournament I remember folks talking about how he shouldn't even wait for the tournament to be over for him to retire.

And no, no trully knowladgeable fan can ever think Zidane is even close to be the GOAT. He isn't even the best player of his generation.
    this. IIRC, Lilian Thuram was a beast that world cup.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count

you take one team that couldn't even qualify, you add ONE player to it and voila .. you got a juggernaut capable of going the distance with 4 consecutive STACKED contenders. that france team couldn't even function without zidane making it happen in midfield. but that run was overrated? misty's impressive run of beating venezuela, usa and the falklands only to lose to chile on penaldos ... that's a real goat run tbh. cmon son how can you say zidane's 06 run was overrated? zidane dominated the entire tournament on his absolute last legs, absolutely unheard of tbh.

this. IIRC, Lilian Thuram was a beast that world cup.
    liliam thuram, the real mvp tbh. the key cog. without thuram they couldn't even qualify tbh the suffering from that cucking honduras inflicted on you is taking its toll tbh

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    liliam thuram, the real mvp tbh. the key cog. without thuram they couldn't even qualify tbh the suffering from that cucking honduras inflicted on you is taking its toll tbh
    What does Honduras has to do with France in 2006, son? When you start changing topics is really when you really lose your arguments.

I called that ARG team trash even before the tournament started, I was correct on all counts

Now tell me more about GOAT Zidane quitting on his team in the Final... now you can say whatever about Missi, except that he got himself ejected in the most important game...

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    FWIW, I'll admit I was wrong, and the WC I was thinking about was 1998, the one they actually won.

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count
    Zidane isn't the GOAT but he still s on Misty obviously

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    What does Honduras has to do with France in 2006, son? When you start changing topics is really when you really lose your arguments.
    son I was just comparing the strength of schedule I've lost no argument on this forum because I'm not propping up insane topics like missy being the GOAT or south korea winning something or chile being a 1st tier team. I'm just keeping it real and doing some trolling aside tbh.

I called that ARG team trash even before the tournament started, I was correct on all counts
    son I know they are trash, but losing to honduras is just

Now tell me more about GOAT Zidane quitting on his team in the Final... now you can say whatever about Missi, except that he got himself ejected in the most important game...
    the reality is a non qualifying france team added zidane and they became world beaters, going through the skeleton of future EC-WC-EC spain, a stacked brazil, maybe the best portugal side ever and barely lost to a super stacked italy.
    While I agree that headbutting materazzi wasn't the smartest thing to do, he still had a great game till that '110 minute ejection, which is more great minutes and production for his NT in finals than all of missy finals minutes combined. So really you got no point here tbh.

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Another deflection thread by OP.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Another deflection thread by OP.
    please explain son.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    FWIW before the materazzi incident Zidane had a great game... he had a superb head defended by Buffon few minutes before that could have won the game... France 2006 without Zidane was first round exit, on a side note, coach was the worst of France history

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    FWIW before the materazzi incident Zidane had a great game... he had a superb head defended by Buffon few minutes before that could have won the game... France 2006 without Zidane was first round exit, on a side note, coach was the worst of France history
    Ribery was also pretty good in 06, but yeah Zidane's impact was huge

My Team
    France
    Post Count

like Maradona run I guess

I'm curious to know what run do you consider not overrated tbh... except for Messi runs of course (we already know what you think about Messi tbh)

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    like Maradona run I guess

I'm curious to know what run do you consider not overrated tbh... except for Messi runs of course (we already know what you think about Messi tbh)
    "Messi runs ..... shoots .... misses! Argentina loses another final !"

Veteran
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    If only he could play against Nigeria, Iran or Bosnia in a final...

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    If only he could play against Nigeria, Iran or Bosnia in a final...
    Or Real Madrid tbh

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    you you got lucky

Thread Information