Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Medals per capita is a silly argument.

There's only a finite number of medals to win and you also can't assume linear growth, that if the Netherlands had 30 times more people they would win 30 times more medals. Returns always diminish. Always.

Per capita also places impossible expectations on larger countries. To match a 10 million populated country that won 5 golds, we'd have to win 160 golds. That ain't happening.

I'd argue they became the "best" after they were trained in the D1 university system.
    I don't disagree but you cannot either don't take into account this factor when having this kind of discussion... Cannot compare USA with Netherlands but what you can say is what Netherlands is doing in sport in general for such a small country is nothing short of being amazing more than what USA is doing. Same goes to Great Britain who is right there with powerhouses like China or Russia (even disminished).

High school is obviously a big plus but European countries have great sport programs like INSEP in France it is just another kind of organization... geographical diversity is also a big factor you are right, France is beneficiating to have it all on a small territory from mountains to sea same for Italy in a lesser extend Germany... that's why those countries are strong also in winter olympics

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. I agree. And that's what I was implying. Our wealth leads to having houses with big yards, gyms in every city, high schools that have state of the art training facilities, etc, etc. I just hate the "doping" excuse. As if we'd be ineffectual without doping or are dirtier than any other country.

I also think the doping problem is overblown now, for every country. Not a lot of world records are being challenged. Many records from the Cold War Era still stand today.
    The Olympic comitee is under US control, the same way the United nations, and most recently trying to control FIFA. The US is basically a subtle dictator that tries to police the world and try to take the high moral ground everytime. They are the propaganda masters of the world.

Doping is a decent part of their sucesss.

Just take that 16 year old chinese swimmer in london...The US media wouldnt stop with the media propaganda about her doping until the poor girl submitted and lost interest in her own sport.

While the media celebrates every 16 year old american athelete and an obviously doping micheal phelps.

America is a sublte dictator, tbh...A very cunning nation that likes to control the world through lies and decepting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Olympic comitee is under US control, the same way the United nations, and most recently trying to control FIFA. The US is basically a subtle dictator that tries to police the world and try to take the high moral ground everytime. They are the propaganda masters of the world.

Doping is a decent part of their sucesss.

Just take that 16 year old chinese swimmer in london...The US media wouldnt stop with the media propaganda about her doping until the poor girl submitted and lost interest in her own sport.

While the media celebrates every 16 year old american athelete and an obviously doping micheal phelps.

America is a sublte dictator, tbh...A very cunning nation that likes to control the world through lies and decepting.
    Proof of any of the IOC being under US control?

Ye Shiwen had a lap where she swam as fast as the men's world record holder. That's going to raise eyebrows.

Ledecky, Phelps, etc are also accused of doping because of their dominance. Phelps doesn't need to dope, though. His physical characteristics are pretty much built for swimming. It would be like accusing Kawhi of doping because his freakish length makes him the world's best defender. Bolt is similar. Dominant physiology for his sport.

I'm also okay with testing these athletes mercilessly. Before and after each event and during times where they can potentially cycle. The US doping commission had no problem stripping Gay, Marion Jones, her husband, and other athletes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Proof of any of the IOC being under US control?

Ye Shiwen had a lap where she swam as fast as the men's world record holder. That's going to raise eyebrows.

Ledecky, Phelps, etc are also accused of doping because of their dominance. Phelps doesn't need to dope, though. His physical characteristics are pretty much built for swimming. It would be like accusing Kawhi of doping because his freakish length makes him the world's best defender. Bolt is similar. Dominant physiology for his sport.

I'm also okay with testing these athletes mercilessly. Before and after each event and during times where they can potentially cycle. The US doping commission had no problem stripping Gay, Marion Jones, her husband, and other athletes.
    Serena Williams is basically a man and no one ever questions her. Shes been doping like crazy. So my point still stands.

Phelps would still win without doping, i agree..but not at this level of dominance. He's clearly doping too as is most american athletes.

I dont personally have a problem with doping, what I have a problem with is comittees being too lenient to americans...

Can anyone show proff that UN is under mostly US control, no...but we all know damn well that it is. It's called being the strongest and riches nation in the world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Serena Williams is basically a man and no one ever questions her. Shes been doping like crazy. So my point still stands.

Phelps would still win without doping, i agree..but not at this level of dominance. He's clearly doping too as is most american athletes.

I dont personally have a problem with doping, what I have a problem with is comittees being too lenient to americans...

Can anyone show proff that UN is under mostly US control, no...but we all know damn well that it is. It's called being the strongest and riches nation in the world.
    I just don't like cynically accusing any and all great athlete of doping until it's definitely proven, regardless of nationality. It's kind of sad that these days when any athlete dominates, the first questions is: "Are they doping?"

I'm also against doping for the fact that I want to see who is better on a level playing field. PEDs don't work the same for everyone. One guy could see massive gains using a drug, while another won't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't like cynically accusing any and all great athlete of doping until it's definitely proven, regardless of nationality. It's kind of sad that these days when any athlete dominates, the first questions is: "Are they doping?"

I'm also against doping for the fact that I want to see who is better on a level playing field. PEDs don't work the same for everyone. One guy could see massive gains using a drug, while another won't.
    Yet America has a disgusting habit of cynically accusing any Eastern Athlete of doping if they show any level pf doninance in the olmypics. Thats my point about the chinese swimmer. Some American women are basically men with a clitoris as big as TDMVPdpoy due to doping.

American athletes dont raise eyebrows when they dominate because they basically control the world media...outside of RT and some irrelevant eastern media, the world is under Americas narrative.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    The US is the same size as Europe, the same GDP as Europe and the 1/2 the population of Europe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agassi called it clear as day when he said he used to dope and suits would cover up for him. Meanwhile, tennis players from other parts of the World were being punished for doping left and right.

Armstrong only got called out 'cause he got on the wrong side of some powerful people. 'Till this day, one of the sweetest payback stories in the history of sports:

" he got cancer and now he wins bicycle races. Let's all ignore the obvious fact that he's probably doping and let's all suck on his nutless sack "

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would anyone endorse splitting us in certain sports to increase compe iveness? Like western and eastern basketball, baseball, women's and men's soccer?

Mainly team sports. i'd definitely be interested in usa vs usa

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agassi called it clear as day when he said he used to dope and suits would cover up for him. Meanwhile, tennis players from other parts of the World were being punished for doping left and right.

Armstrong only got called out 'cause he got on the wrong side of some powerful people. 'Till this day, one of the sweetest payback stories in the history of sports:

" he got cancer and now he wins bicycle races. Let's all ignore the obvious fact that he's probably doping and let's all suck on his nutless sack "
    Pretty much.

The Russians and Chinese have been constantly pushed out of the olympics. The US controls the Olympic comittee. Heck they even control FIFA now.

Micheal Phelps would be out of the olympics in 2010 if he was chinese or Russian.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The US basically prospers through lies a d deception...War, sports and even certain yhings like inventions etc are heavily westernized.

If you go to an average American school, none of the kids now how The arabs basically shaped math for example.

Most benevolent super power my ass

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you are telling me a country the size of a continent, which bombs other countries when needed of some financial boost, is leading the olympics? Shocking

This thread is like the 15 year old boy bragging about beating on his 6 year old brother.

Also:

Olympics
    All the sports jammed in one event, with a whole lot more countries being represented, and still can't beat the WC.
    Exactly. Pretending as if the playing field is equal. Typical American ignorance and arrogance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair to America, they will still dominante even without doping advantage considering the money the make Via fake wars and propaganda.

Would still be a pretty rich nation with close to 400 million people and a better systematic approach to waelth managment than their main rivals Russia and China.

So its kinda hilarious how insecure American media can be and americans in general.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mid the beisbol fan gets mad when roids are brought up since they nearly destroyed his sport

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and we still can't ing win a spelling bee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mid the beisbol fan gets mad when roids are brought up since they nearly destroyed his sport
    To be fair, compared to apolsica ranting about she males and American war imperialism mid is on solid footing in this thread.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say its because sports are for everyone in the USA,in Europe you don't have high school sports either.
    You have to pay money to join a club to play sports

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet America has a disgusting habit of cynically accusing any Eastern Athlete of doping if they show any level pf doninance in the olmypics. Thats my point about the chinese swimmer. Some American women are basically men with a clitoris as big as TDMVPdpoy due to doping.

American athletes dont raise eyebrows when they dominate because they basically control the world media...outside of RT and some irrelevant eastern media, the world is under Americas narrative.
    And I'm not in favor of that until hard proof is shown.

Russia Today

That's a mouthpiece of the Kremlin and Herr Putin.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the count is inflated by women's sports anyway

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I'm not in favor of that until hard proof is shown.

Russia Today

That's a mouthpiece of the Kremlin and Herr Putin.
    The Russians are just as bad as a propagandist as the Americans. RT is full of ridiculous stuff, but they're not America and the effect of RT is very minimal to what the US media propaganda can achieve...

At least in sports and other venues..Because in terms of world politics, they have a very strong pull..otherwise, countries like Turkey and other eastern Euros wouldbt lean towards their approach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair to America, they will still dominante even without doping advantage considering the money the make Via fake wars and propaganda.

Would still be a pretty rich nation with close to 400 million people and a better systematic approach to waelth managment than their main rivals Russia and China.

So its kinda hilarious how insecure American media can be and americans in general.
    I find this funny, you and some others have constantly made fun of white Americans for being unathletic and such, diminish Bird's accomplishments by saying black players (who are more athletic) had to take it easy on him, diminish Bill Russell's accomplishments because his main compe ion were "white boys," but yet China (historically, a pretty unathletic people in track and field and swimming) and white Russians who aren't too genetically dissimilar from whites from other countries are legitimate rivals who compete cleanly.

Our Olympic dominance also has a lot to do with being a rich, first world country with a large black population, and people of West African descent are the best sprinters and jumpers on the planet. If anything, when a Chinese or Russian beats a Jamaican, African-American, etc my eyebrows definitely raise. Same if an American black were to beat a Slav or Chinese in weightlifting (Slavs and Asians have better builds for Olympic weightlifting).

I just get tired of the excuses when we win. "They dope better than us. They control the IOC. They're persecuting us."

Like I said, from day 1 we lead the gold medal count in the Olympics, and we didn't have the largest economy in the world in 1896 (that whole British Empire thing was still going on).

The Soviets were the ones who actually introduced Anabolic Steroids to sport. I'm not saying we competed clean while they were doped up, but when their sprinters are beating people of African descent, something ain't right.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    very proud of the op, who I think is Middle Eastern, showing pride in his country over his tribe. That's refreshing to see for a change

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    arbitrary patriotism...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always thought the Op was a liberal knowledgable white dude. I dont go to POL enough though so i could be wrong.

Thread Information