Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "But, but, Muricans are all fat! They aren't 'chiseled' like all those skinnyfat Eurotrash soccer players!"

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Pretending as if the playing field is equal. Typical American ignorance and arrogance.
    So you are a foreigner? It all makes sense now.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I give Spain about a 25-30 percent chance of winning. USA is not dominant even if they should take the gold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol china with four times the population for half the medals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soccer sucks, but there are many countries who are doing much better at Olympics pound for pound

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    As always, the USA is dominating the medal count at the Olympics, once again showing that they are athletically superior to any country when it comes to a ulative plethora of sporting events that measure both athleticism and skill. The majority of great athletes have been and always will be from the USA.

Cue the anti-American ST crew:
    but, but Soccer
    but, but USA is only good in beisbol and football

Updated Medal Count:

Country

United States
    28 29 28 85

Great Britain
    19 19 12 50

China
    17 15 19 51

Russia
    12 12 14 38

Germany
    11 8 7 26
    There's also not a country that is combined to be as big and as rich as the US and the cherry on top being we care about sports more than, say, the billion people mostly living in overcrowded conditions and playing cricket in India. That and we have everyone of every race and every athletic size. Why is this surprising? Outside China and India, the US has like 8% of the world's population and a greater share of the wealth.

Why is this surprising? We always dominate the Olympics.
    Last edited by Caltex2; 08-18-2016 at 03:10 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    What also irritates the out of me is how these Caribbean sprinters and European swimmers who are beating us go to college here, take advantage of all the world class training facilities a D1 uni provides, and then win gold for their 3rd world country at our expense.

Girl who dove against Felix goes to Georgia.

110 men's hurdler gold medalist. Goes to Arkansas.

Katinka Hosszu, won 3 golds in swimming, went to USC.
    What school does/did Usain Bolt go to? I'll wait.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Proof of any of the IOC being under US control?

Ye Shiwen had a lap where she swam as fast as the men's world record holder. That's going to raise eyebrows.

Ledecky, Phelps, etc are also accused of doping because of their dominance. Phelps doesn't need to dope, though. His physical characteristics are pretty much built for swimming. It would be like accusing Kawhi of doping because his freakish length makes him the world's best defender. Bolt is similar. Dominant physiology for his sport.

I'm also okay with testing these athletes mercilessly. Before and after each event and during times where they can potentially cycle. The US doping commission had no problem stripping Gay, Marion Jones, her husband, and other athletes.
    If anything, the US has zero control over the IOC. The IOC is anti-American and short of them coming to their senses and alloting the games to places that can actually host them, the US won't be hosting either Olympics for the foreseeable future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The US is the same size as Europe, the same GDP as Europe and the 1/2 the population of Europe.
    So? That's an argumet against US dominance. Just combine the medal count from Britain, Germany and France (3/4 of the dominant countries in Europe) and they beat the US count by a mile.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    So? That's an argumet against US dominance. Just combine the medal count from Britain, Germany and France (3/4 of the dominant countries in Europe) and they beat the US count by a mile.
    True, but they would exceed population.

Im just saying based on population and GDP you can determine how many medals a country "should" produce. It doesnt mean American athletes are inherently superior.

However, if the US cared about soccer, we would probably dominate soccer as well. If you took the best athletes from a country of 300 million and a GDP 17 trillion its going to beat anyone else in the world nine times out of ten.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    But they're all different countries with different cultures. You'd be better off saying combine Australia, New Zealand and anything English speaking in the South Pacific.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, but they would exceed population.

Im just saying based on population and GDP you can determine how many medals a country "should" produce. It doesnt mean American athletes are inherently superior.

However, if the US cared about soccer, we would probably dominate soccer as well. If you took the best athletes from a country of 300 million and a GDP 17 trillion its going to beat anyone else in the world nine times out of ten.
    US population: >324.000.000
    Germany/France/GB: <210.000.000. That's roughly two thirds of the US population. (I got the numbers from wikipedia, they should be fairly accurate).

GDP the US is more than the one third ahead of F/GB/G that they have more in population, I give you that. I only did a quick google search and it provided me with 2013 data, which had the US at >16 billion and F/GB/G at a combined >9billion.

I doubt you'd dominate at football, but I don't want to get in, or start another football debate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But they're all different countries with different cultures. You'd be better off saying combine Australia, New Zealand and anything English speaking in the South Pacific.
    Who do you mean? I bet Germans, Frenchies and Brits have more in common than Texans and Alaskans (if that's what you call them).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you are a foreigner? It all makes sense now.
    I'm a foreigner for telling it like it is?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Germany/France/GB: <210.000.000. That's roughly two thirds of the US population. (I got the numbers from wikipedia, they should be fairly accurate).

GDP the US is more than the one third ahead of F/GB/G that they have more in population, I give you that. I only did a quick google search and it provided me with 2013 data, which had the US at >16 billion and F/GB/G at a combined >9billion.

I doubt you'd dominate at football, but I don't want to get in, or start another football debate.
    exactly...

We suck at soccer but only because we don't care ....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are always exceptions, tbh.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    BALCO Academy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really, bro.

US athletes in Rio: 554

GB/German/French athletes in Rio: 1186

Favorites don't always win medals, either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Former baseball player and proud American Ashton Eaton is once again the best athlete in the world

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Former baseball player and proud American Ashton Eaton is once again the best athlete in the world
    That guy is truly incredible and deserves more attention. America cares about the Deca about as much as they care about Rugby. Sad.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count

I meant the population of Europe, not those two specific countries.

And I dont see how you can argue against math. Again, its not bragging. Its simply the number of athletes from which to draw from.

The US has more all-time olympic medals than Great Britain, Germany and France combined:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-ti...es_medal_table

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then Ryan Lochte shows Americans are uniquely dumb. Great job America, if he were black he'd be jailed already

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then Ryan Lochte shows Americans are uniquely dumb. Great job America, if he were black he'd be jailed already
    Lochte is a dip . Always has been. Let Brazil throw the book at his swaggy ass for all I care.

But overall, we've been stellar guests, showing sportsmanship at every opportunity.

Meanwhile, the French guy was off pouting because he got boo'ed (Brazilian fans were in the wrong for boo'ing, but the French guy kind of acted like a baby).

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    If UB was a steroid user, so was pretty much everyone else, especially someone like his wannabe (look to the side and see if he won) Chris Gatlin. He's fast regardless of anything he may have done illegally. You can't eat or rub on height and size (which means he has more leg muscles and fewer steps to take than the typical runner).

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    We need a new private ass ed compe ion in the Olympics so Tammy s can finally go for the Gold

Thread Information