Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Taking that same logic, it's funny how many on this board think they know more about the Spurs than Pop, even though they've never seen a practice and he thousands.
    How much people in general take for granted is mind boggling. It's easier to criticize than to actually do something yourself. I've enjoyed what you've said in this thread about how long we've been in contention whether we won or not. This team and Pop will go down in sports history as 'the most winning team in all team sports for 15 years.' Tim and Pop put us that position- we are blessed. As for the development of young players, I hope we get a shot of youth this year. Anything can happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Sorry I brought up Tim.. still hurts.
    Yep...I heard that!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was toó young back then, beavis & butthead was all my mind could take, there was some Cartoon about a guy with a giant head and a monster living inside and aeon flux, we even had a live show here in argentina but the most disturbing thing to me was peter chung doing aeon flux and then rugrats, I was like WTF?
    Yeah, it's hard to equate Rugrats and AF. In Peter Chung's defense, I think he was only art director on Rugrats while AF was his story, characters, etc. Though I could be wrong.

I'm old enough to remember Aeon Flux well. I used to live in Miami and there was a club/rave place there that used to put the AF shorts (the ones without dialogue. which I think are better) up on a huge screen the size of a movie screen (in fact, the club used to be an old movie theater) and you could watch them while you drank, danced, etc. It was a cool backdrop to the music and as I said since the stories were designed to be follow-able without words, they were perfect. Nice mix of stylized animation action, sex and dystopian scifi. Gave the whole club a slightly cyberpunk feel.

Never saw the live action movie. Hear it should be avoided.
    Last edited by BillMc; 08-20-2016 at 02:31 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there is a real mob mentality on here, where every time we lose its because "someone screwed up" whether that's Pop, or a player, or RC (for not getting a real or hypothetical player that everyone wanted). I tend to look at it like poker where you play the probabilities over a long game. And Pop, RC and our players (which includes Tony Parker folks) have put us into a position to contend for a very long time. You can't win them all, all you can ask is to be in a position when you realistically could and then every individual season is a crap shoot. Over time, the team that is always contending will usually win more les as we've seen this played out for us over the last two decades.

So I weigh "Pop didn't play player X when some guy or gal on a message board wanted him to" as a minor sin against the Spurs general success over the years.

For example because of my Latvian connection, I'll be pissed if Pop doesn't play Bertans this year. But I'm mature enough to realize that my anger and disappointment are likely because of my own biases not because Pop "is an idiot."
    Good points here.. I missed all these b4 since you edited your post. For me one of the most interesting thing about the playoffs is matchups and coaching adjustments. It's the one "chess" aspect that is simply not there in the RS, and Pop is super smart. He does over rely on veterans that are washed up at this point though. I don't want to get into the berating here, not the point, but they are not what they used to be. He has to grow guys into roles. He will know better than anyone if guys were ready or not to step up, but he famously didn't give CoJo a chance in 2015 and Tony kept shooting blanks. Meanwhile in 2016 CoJo was bailing out Lowry and Derozen in games all the way up to the ECF. Sure a young CoJo is not the player young Tony was, and maybe Pop can't separate the fact that young Tony is not coming back. Just subjective things like that peeve me from time to time.

I enjoyed the discussions about strategies in the board during the playoffs, even though some I disagreed with, even guys like TD 21, who are strong in his opinions I enjoy reading. It's nice to read other fans perspectives personally (so long as they don't get into the hating territory, that is pointless).

Anyways, this past season I gave Pop a pass (I am sure you say Geezzz Whiz, SAGirl thank you!!! lol ) just bc Tim wasn't the same and he played guys he thought would help but they came up short. The team wasn't ready to move on with a declined Tim. Like you say, it wasn't our year. I am afraid for either Manu or Tony reaching that Tim 2016 stage. Previously there was CoJo to bail injured guys out.. now??? Fasttrack Dijon? Question mark. Some fans like sasaint have argued that. Who knows? For all our Garino discussion in that other thread with Kaji, it may turn out Arci makes the team after all (If he does, I would know why that is, not a knock on Garino, more a knock on Dijon needing to develop decision making and ballhandling).

I would not call Pop idiot ever. I admire the coach, but you will see me criticize his decisions from time to time through the season. I didn't like the Kmart signing. I think more than anything he panicked with the Danny season long shooting slump but he was a detrimental addition that distracted the team and prevented the bench from reaching a high level of play once Manu got back and gelling. Martin was so bad that he never really moved the needle away from Slow-Mo Anderson and Simmons would have been better too. If Pop wasn't going to bench Anderson and he came out in the press and said that he wasn't then what was the point? He needed to push the effing young fella out of his socks to fricking shoot the ball instead of getting Kmart in and putting the bench through a whole experiment 6 weeks b4 the postseason. Hindsight 20/20, I agree but it peeved me back then and there were others in the board that before the entire season unfolded knew that Kmart was going to waste the team's time.

I think you boy Bertans has a good chance this season too. Really excited for him, we shall see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good points here.. I missed all these b4 since you edited your post. For me one of the most interesting thing about the playoffs is matchups and coaching adjustments. It's the one "chess" aspect that is simply not there in the RS, and Pop is super smart. He does over rely on veterans that are washed up at this point though. I don't want to get into the berating here, not the point, but they are not what they used to be. He has to grow guys into roles. He will know better than anyone if guys were ready or not to step up, but he famously didn't give CoJo a chance in 2015 and Tony kept shooting blanks. Meanwhile in 2016 CoJo was bailing out Lowry and Derozen in games all the way up to the ECF. Sure a young CoJo is not the player young Tony was, and maybe Pop can't separate the fact that young Tony is not coming back. Just subjective things like that peeve me from time to time.

I enjoyed the discussions about strategies in the board during the playoffs, even though some I disagreed with, even guys like TD 21, who are strong in his opinions I enjoy reading. It's nice to read other fans perspectives personally (so long as they don't get into the hating territory, that is pointless).

Anyways, this past season I gave Pop a pass (I am sure you say Geezzz Whiz, SAGirl thank you!!! lol ) just bc Tim wasn't the same and he played guys he thought would help but they came up short. The team wasn't ready to move on with a declined Tim. Like you say, it wasn't our year. I am afraid for either Manu or Tony reaching that Tim 2016 stage. Previously there was CoJo to bail injured guys out.. now??? Fasttrack Dijon? Question mark. Some fans like sasaint have argued that. Who knows? For all our Garino discussion in that other thread with Kaji, it may turn out Arci makes the team after all (If he does, I would know why that is, not a knock on Garino, more a knock on Dijon needing to develop decision making and ballhandling).

I would not call Pop idiot ever. I admire the coach, but you will see me criticize his decisions from time to time through the season. I didn't like the Kmart signing. I think more than anything he panicked with the Danny season long shooting slump but he was a detrimental addition that distracted the team and prevented the bench from reaching a high level of play once Manu got back and gelling. Martin was so bad that he never really moved the needle away from Slow-Mo Anderson and Simmons would have been better too. If Pop wasn't going to bench Anderson and he came out in the press and said that he wasn't then what was the point? He needed to push the effing young fella out of his socks to fricking shoot the ball instead of getting Kmart in and putting the bench through a whole experiment 6 weeks b4 the postseason. Hindsight 20/20, I agree but it peeved me back then and there were others in the board that before the entire season unfolded knew that Kmart was going to waste the team's time.

I think you boy Bertans has a good chance this season too. Really excited for him, we shall see.
    Really nice post. I'll respond a little later. Got to get to to work.. Too much time on the ole Spurstalk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Sorry I brought up Tim.. still hurts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's hard to equate Rugrats and AF. In Peter Chung's defense, I think he was only art director on Rugrats while AF was his story, characters, etc. Though I could be wrong.

I'm old enough to remember Aeon Flux well. I used to live in Miami and there was a club/rave place there that used to put the AF shorts (the ones without dialogue. which I think are better) up on a huge screen the size of a movie screen (in fact, the club used to be an old movie theater) and you could watch them while you drank, danced, etc. It was a cool backdrop to the music and as I said since the stories were designed to be follow-able without words, they were perfect. Nice mix of stylized animation action, sex and dystopian scifi. Gave the whole club a slightly cyberpunk feel.

Never saw the live action movie. Hear it should be avoided.
    I think you are right about Chung´s role in Rugrats.

Also I wasnt aware that the first two seasons didnt contain any dialogue at all, I remember her and some blonde dude like using their tongues licking each other earlobes or some weird like that.
    There was some nasty killings, a big fat dude if my mind doesnt fail me that she killed him like dancing really gory. I was mistaken the live series I was talking about was Cybersix that it is said James Cameron rip it off to make Dark Angel.

That club thing you say sounds awesome I dont know if today´s clubs can do that kind of stuff with current anime I mean they look so japi to my taste.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James had his 3rd and 4th best finals against Spurs in 13 and 14. Michael Finley held James to less points than Kawhi in 2007.
    But like they say, "forget the numbers."

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does James know about basketball? Where does he get off saying who guards him best? We got some select posters right here who know more about it than James ever will.
    Yeah those basketball greats, always have the best eye for talent

Jordan maxed out Batum.
    Kobe snubbing Duncan out of his Top 5 opponents over the likes of Durant and Drexler.
    Isiah Thomas formed a Big 3 of Eddie Curry, Marbury, and Francis.

Now. Let's compare stats/facts.

2007 NBA Finals (vs Bruce Bowen)
    22.0ppg, 7.0reb, 6.8apg, 5.7TO, 35.6FG%, 20.0 3P%, 42.8TS%

2011 NBA Finals (vs Shawn Marion)
    17.8ppg, 7.2reb, 6.8apg, 4.0TO, 47.8FG%, 32.1 3P%, 54.1TS%

2013 NBA Finals (vs Kahwi Leonard)
    25.3ppg, 10.8reb, 7.0apg, 2.5TO, 44.7FG%, 35.3 3P%, 52.9TS%

2014 NBA Finals (vs Kahwi Leonard)
    28.2ppg, 7.8reb, 4.0apg, 3.8TO, 57.1FG%, 51.1 3P%, 67.9TS%

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who cares? Le has more rings and is a better player. Until KL gets the spurs rings for defending james the best it shouldn't matter to spurs fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember watching them on MTV, way back when on some weird cartoon variety show.
    I think that's what it was...

Jesus, that was over 2 decades ago.
    Aeon Flux was over 2 decades ago?! HOLY !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah those basketball greats, always have the best eye for talent

Jordan maxed out Batum.
    Kobe snubbing Duncan out of his Top 5 opponents over the likes of Durant and Drexler.
    Isiah Thomas formed a Big 3 of Eddie Curry, Marbury, and Francis.

Now. Let's compare stats/facts.

2007 NBA Finals (vs Bruce Bowen)
    22.0ppg, 7.0reb, 6.8apg, 5.7TO, 35.6FG%, 20.0 3P%, 42.8TS%

2011 NBA Finals (vs Shawn Marion)
    17.8ppg, 7.2reb, 6.8apg, 4.0TO, 47.8FG%, 32.1 3P%, 54.1TS%

2013 NBA Finals (vs Kahwi Leonard)
    25.3ppg, 10.8reb, 7.0apg, 2.5TO, 44.7FG%, 35.3 3P%, 52.9TS%

2014 NBA Finals (vs Kahwi Leonard)
    28.2ppg, 7.8reb, 4.0apg, 3.8TO, 57.1FG%, 51.1 3P%, 67.9TS%
    N-n-n-n-narrative buster

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice compliment from the greatest of all-time, tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron has got to be the most appreciative compe or out all the time great of all time....

I imagine Kobestans are treating this as an act of weakness and admittence of defeat...freaking casuals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. Feeling old? I am.

I think you are right about Chung´s role in Rugrats.

Also I wasnt aware that the first two seasons didnt contain any dialogue at all, I remember her and some blonde dude like using their tongues licking each other earlobes or some weird like that.
    There was some nasty killings, a big fat dude if my mind doesnt fail me that she killed him like dancing really gory. I was mistaken the live series I was talking about was Cybersix that it is said James Cameron rip it off to make Dark Angel.

That club thing you say sounds awesome I dont know if today´s clubs can do that kind of stuff with current anime I mean they look so japi to my taste.
    Yeah, the blond dude was Trevor Goodchild the dictator of the neighboring country she's always spying on/assassinating people in. They've a weird relationship to say the least. I remember her killing the fat guy you mentioned.

Here are a few typical ones from the first two seasons. It's cool because its wordless and you have to figure out the plot. And they're short enough that you don't mind doing so.

My sig is another.

I agree about anime looking all the same. That's why I liked AF so much. Chung is Korean-American and his dad was a low-level diplomat, so he grew up all over the world: America, Asia, Africa. His work has a lot of different influences and looks like nothing else.

Never saw Cybersix or Dark Angel...should I?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. Feeling old? I am.

Yeah, the blond dude was Trevor Goodchild the dictator of the neighboring country she's always spying on/assassinating people in. They've a weird relationship to say the least. I remember her killing the fat guy you mentioned.

Here are a few typical ones from the first two seasons. It's cool because its wordless and you have to figure out the plot. And they're short enough that you don't mind doing so.

My sig is another.

I agree about anime looking all the same. That's why I liked AF so much. Chung is Korean-American and his dad was a low-level diplomat, so he grew up all over the world: America, Asia, Africa. His work has a lot of different influences and looks like nothing else.

Never saw Cybersix or Dark Angel...should I?
    Today I watched the 2 first seasons without dialogues and it was truly innovative, now Im into season 3 and even when I´ve only watched the first episode it fits with the overall series style.

I couldnt say anything about Cibersix or Dark Angel because never watched them, but Dark Angel was one of the first series made with big budgets that had movie like quality, now you have big budget series everywhere but during those days Dark Angel was the pioneer, as far as quality I remember it was good according to some friends, so it could deserve a try.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Today I watched the 2 first seasons without dialogues and it was truly innovative, now Im into season 3 and even when I´ve only watched the first episode it fits with the overall series style.

I couldnt say anything about Cibersix or Dark Angel because never watched them, but Dark Angel was one of the first series made with big budgets that had movie like quality, now you have big budget series everywhere but during those days Dark Angel was the pioneer, as far as quality I remember it was good according to some friends, so it could deserve a try.
    Thanks man. I'll look into Dark Angel. Enjoy Season 3.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron has got to be the most appreciative compe or out all the time great of all time....

I imagine Kobestans are treating this as an act of weakness and admittence of defeat...freaking casuals.
    Lebron is anti-compe or.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron didn't have to admit this, the urine stain that appears on his shorts when he sees Leonard gives it away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see the usual suspects are still polluting this forum. Smh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James had his 3rd and 4th best finals against Spurs in 13 and 14. Michael Finley held James to less points than Kawhi in 2007.
    Your name must be a lie if you don't remember that Bowen was his main defender the vast majority of the time. Bowen is why LeBron played so awful, not Finley. Not even close man.

Thread Information