Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His bit comes off a cringeworthy an ish when it doesn't hit though, tbh...
    That's on the reporter. Obviously Pop doesn't have a relationship with this guy and you can clearly see the awkwardness in his face. Once the reporter knew he ed up he was shook and Pop noticed and felt sorry for him and played it off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I love Pop but he can be a straight up at times and he's known to be a grump. He makes,fun of himself calling it being Serbian. Really his sense of humor and the fact in reality he's a caring person softens his troll game. If we want to call it trolling reporters.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I love Pop but he can be a straight up at times and he's known to be a grump. He makes,fun of himself calling it being Serbian. Really his sense of humor and the fact in reality he's a caring person softens his troll game. If we want to call it trolling reporters.
    Thats what I love about him. He doesnt wanna and he doesnt hafta. If people dont like it...sounds like a personal problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats what I love about him. He doesnt wanna and he doesnt hafta. If people dont like it...sounds like a personal problem.
    I know how he is, but to say he's not a grump is homerism. It just is, but call it potato, potato. Some ppl like asshole personality I guess. I like all the times he's given candid interviews. He can be charming when he wants.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought this was immensely entertaining both when Pop was being an ass and when he revealed it was all just a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will you be seduced into my parlor, says Pop to the reporters, hahahaha

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find Pop to be refreshing when it comes to coaching interviews. He despises stupid questions -- and rightfully so. He refuses to disclose strategies or to discuss them at any length -- and rightfully so. He refuses to aggrandize himself. But when he's asked a good question that doesn't force him to disclose his trade secrets or to talk about himself, he's eloquent and generally effusive. He's shown repeatedly that he will engage a reporter who asks a thoughtful question and when he goes there, his answers are substantially better than anyone else's, because they aren't laced with cliches and empty rhetoric.

I've never understood the scorn that Pop gets for his approach to the media, mostly because I prefer the substance I get from any Popovich encounter with a good reporter to the fluff I get from other coaches trying to answer stupid or unanswerable questions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's very arrogant. Other coaches find polite ways to not disclose strategies or evade questions, etc. He's got a troll game going. If he wasn't a 5 time champion he wouldn't get away with the troll game. He's also been coaching for 20 or more? Seasons, he's a character at this point as others pointed out which allows him to get away with that stuff. That said the trolling and dry humor can be endearing to fans who have seen him for so many seasons now. If this was coach K, Doc Rivers or any other coach they'd be call assholes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is Pop 24/7
    That is reassuring on some level. Great article!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know how he is, but to say he's not a grump is homerism. It just is, but call it potato, potato. Some ppl like asshole personality I guess. I like all the times he's given candid interviews. He can be charming when he wants.
    My POV and what I think Pops POV is is that these interviews are ridiculous and are becoming more and more intrusive. Used to be just at the end of the game, now its half time, during the game, cameras up the players noses (especially when they f'd up trying to catch a glimmer of self doubt), in the huddle. And does it really add anything? Not really, so many times its obvious, "we need more defense", "we need to rebound". Yeah I know theyre millionaires playing a game but I dont think any of the players or coaches want to do it and these players and coaches give us the entertainment we benefit from. Im players and coaches over TV stations and owners anytime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My POV and what I think Pops POV is is that these interviews are ridiculous and are becoming more and more intrusive. Used to be just at the end of the game, now its half time, during the game, cameras up the players noses (especially when they f'd up trying to catch a glimmer of self doubt), in the huddle. And does it really add anything? Not really, so many times its obvious, "we need more defense", "we need to rebound". Yeah I know theyre millionaires playing a game but I dont think any of the players or coaches want to do it and these players and coaches give us the entertainment we benefit from. Im players and coaches over TV stations and owners anytime.

You're right about that. But the league (and the owners) are responsible for that. Pop should take it up with them, instead of pissing on reporters.

I haven't read all the commentary on this thread. I think Pop goes too far, and a lot of people don't. There's no way to reconcile the two views, so why bother? I just popped in to post this article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ball/89043016/

If you want the short version of the article, it's that LeBron is talking about playing in the next Olympics, just for the opportunity to play for Pop. Personally, I've always wondered how Pop and LeBron would get along. Two really strong personalities, and LeBron has always seemed to think he was bigger than his coaches. It would be interesting to see if he would do what Pop told him, even when he disagreed. One thing is for certain. Even if Pop is an asshole to reporters, there's no denying the respect he gets from players.

What a lot of you don't seem to leave room for, is that the two things aren't mutually exclusive. He can be a coach that players love and respect, and still be a to reporters. What's funny is that a lot of people here scream about him not being a good coach, but defend his asshole interviews. I don't like the way he does a lot of interviews, but I still think he's one of the best to ever coach.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great read, thx for posting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's very arrogant. Other coaches find polite ways to not disclose strategies or evade questions, etc. He's got a troll game going. If he wasn't a 5 time champion he wouldn't get away with the troll game. He's also been coaching for 20 or more? Seasons, he's a character at this point as others pointed out which allows him to get away with that stuff. That said the trolling and dry humor can be endearing to fans who have seen him for so many seasons now. If this was coach K, Doc Rivers or any other coach they'd be call assholes.
    Historic success at the highest levels of compe ion make people see you differently? You dont say.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, how would you feel if you had to play Parker every game?

Thread Information