Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That doesn't really mean much when he's never been given full reign of the offense tbh (I'm sure a certain selfish teammate of his has nothing to do with that )
    That's a bit of trolling bc he's played for most of his career next to Ginobili and that partnership has been beneficial for both. He's a good scorer which makes him a good 6th man, but needs playmakers around him. Why do you think Pop has not just Anderson, but Simmons too in the bench? Both guys can pass the ball and find shooters.
    ---------------------
    The issue can arise not this season but when the time comes that Pop or another coach wants to bench Tony if he's still playing. Mills (or someone else) could be traded then if they want. I don't think Murray will be ready for 20 minutes this season.(and that's what's needed bc Tony would be around 28-29 at most). He is a raw rook that needs to learn the NBA game. He will get a bit of burn but his inexperience will show. If Spurs doesn't want to contend this season and just develop their youth, fine I could see 20 minutes, but since that's not Pop, I doubt it.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty is a scorer by himself. He doesn't need a playmaker. He is actually the only scorer on that second unit.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is more valuable than Manu at this point.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Mills is too valuable and on a team friendly contract so they won't trade him considering the team is in desperate need of shooters. However, they'll let him walk in the offseason because he's not worth even close to the $9-10M he'll command on the open market with what little he does on the court.
    Last edited by Hoops Czar; 08-25-2016 at 02:33 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm waiting for someone to sign Bonner. Then I'll trade Mills for him. Because I hate you guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills is too valuable and on a team friendly contract so they won't trade him considering the team is in desperate need of shooters. However, they'll let him walk in the offseason because he's not worth even close to the $9-10M he'll command in the offseason with what little he does on the court.
    It's a valid point and for a while I thought like that. I thought personally tiny shooters are relatively easy to find, but knowing Pop, Patty the person is valuable to the Spurs. Pop likes his continuity, his veterans, etc.

We are talking about the realm of speculation and any opinion is valid in that realm TBH. Just going by how Pop prizes his continuity and his veterans I think they will try to keep him... but then again, they wanted to keep Joseph too, just couldn't. Bottom line, it's really hard to say beyond this season, but trade him per se this season? It's unlikely. They will play their cards, see how players do in the postseason and go from there. Your scenario is not far from being a real possibility too.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    It's a valid point and for a while I thought like that. I thought personally tiny shooters are relatively easy to find, but knowing Pop, Patty the person is valuable to the Spurs. Pop likes his continuity, his veterans, etc.

We are talking about the realm of speculation and any opinion is valid in that realm TBH. Just going by how Pop prizes his continuity and his veterans I think they will try to keep him... but then again, they wanted to keep Joseph too, just couldn't. Bottom line, it's really hard to say beyond this season, but trade him per se this season? It's unlikely. They will play their cards, see how players do in the postseason and go from there. Your scenario is not far from being a real possibility too.
    The situation is this. If he plays well, he's going to get paid. If he plays poorly, I'm not sure the Spurs would want him back unless he was willing to come back on a cheap contract. I also don't see a single scenario where Patty would start in place of Parker because he's not a natural fit at pg. However, if another team offers him a starting gig at sg, he'd be foolish not to take it. I also don't see Patty as a guy the Spurs would be willing to go over the salary cap for. He's an asset in terms of his shooting ability but that's it.
    Last edited by Hoops Czar; 08-25-2016 at 03:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The situation is this. If he plays well, he's going to get paid. If he plays poorly, I'm not sure the Spurs would want him back unless he was willing to comeback on a cheap contract. I also don't see a single scenario where Patty would start in place of Parker because he's not a natural fit at pg. However, if another team offers him a starting gig at sg, he'd be foolish not to take it. I also don't see Patty as a guy the Spurs would be willing to go over the salary cap for. He's an asset in terms of his shooting ability but that's it.
    We shall see. Pop develops some extreme emotional attachments to players (Bonner?) so I tend to think they are already planning on re-signing him. What they do with the starting PG spot is something Pop is probably going to be wondering himself though, so it would not surprise me to see Patty with the starters at times, maybe when Tony rests. It could be a test for either him or Murray this season. If Patty doesn't start even once through the season and Pop gives that one to Murray every time, then we will know for sure that is not in the cards for Patty and 6th man at best is his ceiling in the Spurs. In that case, there can for sure be more appealing destinations for Patty in FA, and with his good pal Manu retiring, maybe he doesn't have the big attachment to the Spurs bench anymore either. CoJo is quite happy where he's at for example. He plays even more minutes than Patty and got further than Patty did in the postseason. Had he stayed, he would have been chained to the deep bench and not played in the postseason. That wasn't fair to him. Patty could see the situation with Tony and now Dijon and consider CoJo and just want to move on too. It's really hard to say.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We shall see. Pop develops some extreme emotional attachments to players (Bonner?) so I tend to think they are already planning on re-signing him. What they do with the starting PG spot is something Pop is probably going to be wondering himself though, so it would not surprise me to see Patty with the starters at times, maybe when Tony rests. It could be a test for either him or Murray this season. If Patty doesn't start even once through the season and Pop gives that one to Murray every time, then we will know for sure that is not in the cards for Patty and 6th man at best is his ceiling in the Spurs. In that case, there can for sure be more appealing destinations for Patty in FA, and with his good pal Manu retiring, maybe he doesn't have the big attachment to the Spurs bench anymore either. CoJo is quite happy where he's at for example. He plays even more minutes than Patty and got further than Patty did in the postseason. Had he stayed, he would have been chained to the deep bench and not played in the postseason. That wasn't fair to him. Patty could see the situation with Tony and now Dijon and consider CoJo and just want to move on too. It's really hard to say.
    Spurs won't pay 9-10 million for the back up PG spot. Makes absolutely no sense to do that from an economical perspective in relation to how smart R.C usually is with allocating the cap space efficiently.

You can book that. I'm even willing to say Mills won't be back next year, you can book that too. Murray will be the back-up PG next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs won't pay 9-10 million for the back up PG spot. Makes absolutely no sense to do that from an economical perspective in relation to how smart R.C usually is with allocating the cap space efficiently.

You can book that. I'm even willing to say Mills won't be back next year, you can book that too. Murray will be the back-up PG next year.
    I could see you being right TBH. I am not convinced either way. I think they will try to retain him, but they wanted to retain CoJo too right? So it could not work out like they hoped. In fact they could not retain guys they wanted to retain this past season like Boban (one of the reasons Chinook was suggesting a trade during the season as he thought Boban wasn't going to be a part of the Spurs future, but Spurs wanted to try to retain him and we saw how it went). They will have to prioritize guys, and it could be a good thing for Mills too as I said above.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook first said Boban wasn't good. Then he changed his tune to" he gonna get paid".

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see you being right TBH. I am not convinced either way. I think they will try to retain him, but they wanted to retain CoJo too right? So it could not work out like they hoped. In fact they could not retain guys they wanted to retain this past season like Boban (one of the reasons Chinook was suggesting a trade during the season as he thought Boban wasn't going to be a part of the Spurs future, but Spurs wanted to try to retain him and we saw how it went). They will have to prioritize guys, and it could be a good thing for Mills too as I said above.

The situation made sense to try to bring back Boban for a reasonable price ( they lost all but one front court player -- Duncan, West, Diaw). On the other hand, the situation doesn't make sense to bring back Mills. Mills is a specialty player, a one way player who is a liability on defense from the PG or the SG spot and is limited offensively. He can shoot well, move without the ball well and hustle on D well and that's about it (but he's still a net negative defender). When asked to do too much from a play-maker role, he falls flat on his face -- he's proved it time and time again. The role can't be too big for him for him to be a net positive offensively.

After this season, the Spurs will be much better off moving forward with Murray at back up point guard and trying to upgrade from Tony at the starting point guard position ( Mills isn't that answer). They will be better off w/ Murray at back up PG moving forward because he is a better play-maker than Mills, he'll be dirt cheap for another 3 years after this year (he'll be 10% of Mills' market value next year), and he has an edge on the defensive end with his length guarding back up PGs. Having Murray defend PGs, and having a shooting guard like Simmons or Hanga or a FA or rookie legitimate SG defend back up SG's will give the Spurs an edge defensively.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When has Patty been asked to playmake? I don't think I ever have. So why say he has fallen flat on his face on that regard?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When has Patty been asked to playmake? I don't think I ever have. So why say he has fallen flat on his face on that regard?
    Last year you saw a lot of it vs. tough compe ion when Manu needed a play or two off (Manu doesn't take on full responsibility with second unit like he used to).

See the Thunder series last year. At times when Mills had the ball in PnRs or in play-making situations, he forced rushed off-balanced shots. He just can't collect himself confidently to make the right play and he can't create the separation consistently off the dribble to be able to create for his teammates. The work-load for a play-maker or a part-time play-maker in this regard is too much for him. He's a shooter, that's it -- when asked to do more, his efficiency as a player on the offensive end nosedives.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was the only shooter on the floor at times and the other team knew it. Fathead west Manu and diaw not gonna help Patty for s sake. He still shot the ball at a high clip. He did a great job and was the best pg on the team. For 2 ing MIL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The situation made sense to try to bring back Boban for a reasonable price ( they lost all but one front court player -- Duncan, West, Diaw). On the other hand, the situation doesn't make sense to bring back Mills. Mills is a specialty player, a one way player who is a liability on defense from the PG or the SG spot and is limited offensively. He can shoot well, move without the ball well and hustle on D well and that's about it (but he's still a net negative defender). When asked to do too much from a play-maker role, he falls flat on his face -- he's proved it time and time again. The role can't be too big for him for him to be a net positive offensively.
    Agree completely with your evaluation. Murray projects to be a potential star even, if he puts it together with improving his shooting, but he's very young and I doubt he will make Mills expendable this season which is what you originally suggested. It won't happen, he's still learning how to play the NBA game. Next season is different.

I am not sure on J.Simms staying himself either. It will really depend on his own performance. Mills is an NBA champion, a veteran, elite shooter, an olympian. J.Simms got nothing on him at this point but just being an athlete. I know you are a J.Simms fan, but if he is still the same player he was last season, he's a no go for the future and he's likely to be overpriced too. In fact, everyone but the real stars are probably getting overpriced at this point. The middle of the road roleplayers are going to be overpriced. J.Simms is going to be 28 by the time of his next contract next season starts with a game that makes him ball dominant and extremely dependent on athleticism. I would pass on that unless he shows improvement. Mills' game will age better.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not falling on his face at all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree completely with your evaluation. Murray projects to be a potential star even, if he puts it together with improving his shooting, but he's very young and I doubt he will make Mills expendable this season which is what you originally suggested. It won't happen, he's still learning how to play the NBA game. Next season is different.

I am not sure on J.Simms staying himself either. It will really depend on his own performance. Mills is an NBA champion, a veteran, elite shooter, an olympian. J.Simms got nothing on him at this point but just being an athlete. I know you are a J.Simms fan, but if he is still the same player he was last season, he's a no go for the future and he's likely to be overpriced too. In fact, everyone but the real stars are probably getting overpriced at this point. The middle of the road roleplayers are going to be overpriced. J.Simms is going to be 28 by the time of his next contract next season starts with a game that makes him ball dominant and extremely dependent on athleticism. I would pass on that unless he shows improvement. Mills' game will age better.
    I never said anything in my last comment to suggest I'm favoring Simmons. I'm just saying Simmons, Hanga or a Free Agent SG or a Rookie SG is a better option defensively and dollar for dollar than 5'10 Mills for 10 million at SG. Yes, Mills would defend PGs and Murray would have to defend SG's -- but in that scenario, neither will have an edge defensively as both will have a size mismatch and that in itself is very important on the perimeter. I prefer the scenario where there's no areas of vulnerability on the defensive end -- no areas where the offense can exploit.

Also, I previously said, there's a chance Mills gets traded at the deadline but only if Murray earns a significant role by February -- which isn't likely to happen but still remains a small possibility. That's all I said. Didn't say it was going to happen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not literally.

Mills struggles when he's in scenarios dribbling with the ball. That's it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year you saw a lot of it vs. tough compe ion when Manu needed a play or two off (Manu doesn't take on full responsibility with second unit like he used to).

See the Thunder series last year. At times when Mills had the ball in PnRs or in play-making situations, he forced rushed off-balanced shots. He just can't collect himself confidently to make the right play and he can't create the separation consistently off the dribble to be able to create for his teammates. The work-load for a play-maker or a part-time play-maker in this regard is too much for him. He's a shooter, that's it -- when asked to do more, his efficiency as a player on the offensive end nosedives.
    He can get in straight up chucker mode at times, definitely and the jumpshot isn't always on. Arguing that with daboom is pointless though he has some serious homer glasses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said anything in my last comment to suggest I'm favoring Simmons. I'm just saying Simmons, Hanga or a Free Agent SG or a Rookie SG is a better option defensively and dollar for dollar than 5'10 Mills for 10 million at SG. Yes, Mills would defend PGs and Murray would have to defend SG's -- but in that scenario, neither will have an edge defensively as both will have a size mismatch and that in itself is very important on the perimeter. I prefer the scenario where there's no areas of vulnerability on the defensive end -- no areas where the offense can exploit.

Also, I previously said, there's a chance Mills gets traded at the deadline but only if Murray earns a significant role by February -- which isn't likely to happen but still remains a small possibility. That's all I said. Didn't say it was going to happen.
    Roger that.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not literally.

Mills struggles when he's in scenarios dribbling with the ball. That's it.
    I never see him struggle.

Per 36 minutes. Bolded is Turnovers. RS
    4 Tony Parker 33 72 72 1980 6.4 12.9 .493 0.5 1.2 .415 5.9 11.7 .501 2.4 3.1 .760 0.3 2.9 3.2 6.9 1.0 0.2 2.4 2.1 15.6
    5 Patrick Mills 27 81 3 1662 5.6 13.3 .425 2.7 6.9 .384 3.0 6.3 .469 1.0 1.3 .810 0.6 2.8 3.4 4.9 1.3 0.1 1.6 2.2 14.9

Turnover % RS

4 Tony Parker 33 72 1980 16.2 .546 .092 .241 1.0 8.8 5.1 29.1 1.4 0.4 14.3 21.2 2.9 2.9 5.8 .142 0.4 -0.3 0.1 1.0
    5 Patrick Mills 27 81 1662 14.6 .541 .523 .095 1.9 8.7 5.4 20.1 1.8 0.3 10.7 19.7 2.2 2.6 4.8 .139 2.1 -0.4 1.7 1.6

Playoffs per 36
    4 Tony Parker 33 10 10 264 6.0 13.4 .449 0.5 2.2 .250 5.5 11.2 .488 1.6 1.9 .857 0.1 2.9 3.0 7.2 0.8 0.3 2.5 2.0 14.2
    8 Patrick Mills 27 10 0 167 5.0 11.4 .434 2.8 7.8 .361 2.2 3.7 .588 1.5 2.4 .636 0.0 3.0 3.0 4.3 1.5 0.0 1.7 0.6 14.2

Playoffs %

4 Tony Parker 33 10 264 14.3 .499 .163 .143 0.5 8.7 4.8 31.4 1.2 0.6 14.7 21.6 0.2 0.3 0.4 .079 0.7 -1.5 -0.9 0.1
    8 Patrick Mills 27 10 167 15.2 .571 .679 .208 0.0 9.1 4.8 17.9 2.2 0.0 12.2 18.4 0.2 0.2 0.4 .124 3.7 -1.1 2.6 0.2

Seems like he turns it over less than Tony. Guess there goes playmaking and securing the ball. But he shouldn't be in there instead of Tony because Tony keeps the ball safe right?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to take the L on this one dude. Any more arguing, and I'm just going to have to assume you don't accept reality when it's right on your desk.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Keep in mind, wherever Paddy ends up next year, Manu won't be around to make him look good.

Thread Information