Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Assuming he makes the team, who exactly are the Spurs going to cut that allows them to sign Nicolas Laprovitolla? Last I checked, the roster stood at 16 and they aren't cutting LJC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    don't have a lot of belief in LJC at this point but hoping for the best and some kind of comfortable role where he can make good contributions.

but I fear he has little future here

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude looks really slow. Can't wait to see him and Kyle on the break.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    don't have a lot of belief in LJC at this point but hoping for the best and some kind of comfortable role where he can make good contributions.

His future here is to take up a spot on the roster that would otherwise go to a real basketball prospect that might actually develop. But, the Spurs will keep LJC and gift another team a Forbes or Garino or Lapro or Simmons and get nothing in return, ultimately to dump LJC for nothing either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who do they cut to make room for him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if this is really happening it would point towards two things, IMO:
    - They don't think they'll be able to retain Patty when his current deal is done
    - They don't think Murray will be ready in the next 2-3 years, or just insurance in the case he doesn't pan out
    I think both are possible.

1.) I suspect they will try to retain Patty but at the same time, it's foreseeable that they won't be able to and it may not even be in either part's best interest. For the Spurs bc they may want to look at other FA (and Gasol and Dedmon have PO to begin with, so even to retain some of their current guys will be $) and for Patty bc he needs to look out for himself. I could see it going either way, but Patty is not 100% a lock to come back so it makes sense to plan for that eventuality.

2.) They already don't project Murray to be able to help any sooner than his second season at least and RC publicly stated as much, bc he needs help improving his efficiency at the rim and his shooting to start with. But perhaps the concern is not that they need to wait until his 2nd or 3rd year, but that he's not really a PG prospect. It's really uncertain what he is, he might be a combo guard, and really his ballhandling level would need to improve for him to be a PG. All of these uncertainties with Murray require the FO to be proactive planning for eventualities.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sure feels like it..

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you are right on here. I believe they are planning for Patty's replacement. Truth is he plays more of a shooting guard. I think Forbes is another possibility to replace what he brings to the table. Patty is likely to get 10 million plus in this environment and I don't think the Spurs will pay that.
    I think Pop values Patty the person a lot, as well as his experience, but there is a real possibility he will be priced out of their range for what he gives and they know that. It's relatively easy to find other guys who can shoot the 3 and are 6'0" tall. They won't have Patty's championship experience and continuity in the system, but the skills per se are not irreplaceable. The bench system has been centered around Manu anyways. Once Manu retires they could be going a different direction and that is the guy they will need to pay well. It would be a huge mistake to make Patty the "centerpiece" of the bench, particularly when in the not too distant future, they can already foresee Tony being moved to play in the bench anyways. They could always trade Patty at that point, but the opportunity cost of other guys they might have passed on the next offseason to re-sign Patty is gone.

I still think Spurs will try to retain Patty, but it really may not be realistic in the end above a certain price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Done deal!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sure feels like it..
    You are more optimistic than I. Where the Spurs are concerned it NEVER feels like a trade is looming - especially a prima facia "good" trade.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    trade parker...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Us Argies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for sharing all the Lapro videos. It is hard to tell whether he has the quickness or defensive chops to make it in the NBA. And "best of" videos always emphasize scoring, making Lapro seem more like a combo guard... Again, it is hard to tell what kind of playmaker he might be in the big league.

We are ac ulating plenty of prospects for the backcourt. I would hate to see the Spurs repeat the Jamychal Green experience - bringing a good rotation player into the league only to see him go to another team and get nothing in return. Perhaps this signing means that the Spurs are considering trading Patty while his contract is a bargain and his value is very high after an outstanding performance in Rio. I, for one, would hate to see the Spurs part company with him, however, they do need to upgrade certain aspects of the backcourt. Maybe Simmons can be traded...
    It wasn't just Jamychal Green they let go and got nothing in return for him after helping the young man develop into a real NBA player for a couple of seasons. They also lost CoJo, Baynes, Boban to FA. All guys they developed and were unable to re-sign. (Diaw had to be traded to sign Gasol, so I am not putting him there, and Tiago was traded to sign LMA and really was unhealthy in both Spurs and ATL, so in a sense, they were traded for "returns"=capspace to sign someone they really wanted). But all those other guys were really let go for nothing. Patty and Simmons might figure to be in that group of FA they could lose this next Summer for nothing. I just didn't think they would be proactive trading guys bc it hasn't been a way the Spurs have operated lately but at the same time they can't continue to hemorrhage talent at the rate they have been without any assets or players to show for it. It's unsustainable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming he makes the team, who exactly are the Spurs going to cut that allows them to sign Nicolas Laprovitolla? Last I checked, the roster stood at 16 and they aren't cutting LJC.
    They had 14 guys guaranteed and Arci, Forbes and Garino competing for the 15th. Basically something like this (I mean you can slot Simmons, Anderson, Bertans, and Lee in alternate spots, there is debate and probably compe ion for spots. Even Murray may be more of a SG at this point than a PG... but just for purposes of counting spots):

Tony/Patty/Murray
    Danny/Manu/Simmons
    Kawhi/Anderson/
    LMA/Bertans/LJC
    GAsol/Dedmon/Lee

It would appear the 3rd string backup SF spot is available but since Simmons and Bertans can probably play it, it's not a lock the spot goes to GArino. It can be argued the position of most need is the 3rd string backup PG, if you consider Murray more of a SG/combo guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn't just Jamychal Green they let go and got nothing in return for him after helping the young man develop into a real NBA player for a couple of seasons. They also lost CoJo, Baynes, Boban to FA. All guys they developed and were unable to re-sign. (Diaw had to be traded to sign Gasol, so I am not putting him there, and Tiago was traded to sign LMA and really was unhealthy in both Spurs and ATL, so in a sense, they were traded for "returns"=capspace to sign someone they really wanted). But all those other guys were really let go for nothing. Patty and Simmons might figure to be in that group of FA they could lose this next Summer for nothing. I just didn't think they would be proactive trading guys bc it hasn't been a way the Spurs have operated lately but at the same time they can't continue to hemorrhage talent at the rate they have been without any assets or players to show for it. It's unsustainable.
    Yeah, I'm with you. I just used Jamychal as an example because I didn't want to go through the whole list. I just get tired of our refusal to make some prima facia "good trades".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's more of a floor general kind of PG, tbh... might actually work out as a late-Manu replacement, in the backup PG role... obviously, he has a lot to prove at this level, he's not a lock to anything.

I didn't want to say it earlier, because this place goes ape- crazy over stuff, but he is an Avery Johnson style point. I'm not saying he IS Avery Johnson, or that he will be as good as AJ. Just that their styles are similar. If you go back and look at some old video of AJ and compare them to the above, I think it will show.

Parker has always had a tendency to over-penetrate. Patty, too, to some extent. I guess because they are both looking to score first? AJ was always looking to get to a spot on the floor where he had an angle to make a good pass to a teammate. Parker and Patty both destroy their angles, and have to make their passes wide of the target to try and keep from getting picked off. It gives defenders time to close on the shooters, because they have to gather the ball and then get their feet under them. Laprovitolla runs the point much more like AJ did.

The biggest thing is that he's strong enough not to get the ball taken away from a lot, as he brings it over the mid-court line. Last year I got totally sick of watching Tony and Patty struggle when the defense got physical. (Like they do in fourth quarters.) Don't know if he can do it at this level, but I'd rather take a chance on him than a lot of the bums and skeletons that have been getting floated as possible PG insurance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I still don't understand why everyone is automatically pencilling LJC in for a roster spot. What has this guy done exactly to stand out? He's been underwhelming in overseas compe ion, has already had a serious knee surgery that sidelined him for half a year, and only put up 4/4/1 in 17 minutes against Summer League scrubs. Not exactly eye-popping numbers there.

If it weren't for Parker saying that he was definitely coming over, I don't think anyone would really expect him to be on the roster come training camp. He's gonna have to really prove something to make me believe he deserves a spot over Murray, Garino, or even Laprovitolla.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still don't understand why everyone is automatically pencilling LJC in for a roster spot.

Watch it. Chinook will go absolutely ing crazy over talk like that.

Even if he's right, and the Spurs owe him something, I would have paid him and then waived him before I let him clog a roster spot. Apparently that's a bad thing, and I'm a bad person for thinking it. Don't follow my wicked example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still don't understand why everyone is automatically pencilling LJC in for a roster spot. What has this guy done exactly to stand out? He's been underwhelming in overseas compe ion, has already had a serious knee surgery that sidelined him for half a year, and only put up 4/4/1 in 17 minutes against Summer League scrubs. Not exactly eye-popping numbers there.

If it weren't for Parker saying that he was definitely coming over, I don't think anyone would really expect him to be on the roster come training camp. He's gonna have to really prove something to make me believe he deserves a spot over Murray, Garino, or even Laprovitolla.
    I believe because he was a first round pick he has a guaranteed spot on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watch it. Chinook will go absolutely ing crazy over talk like that.

Even if he's right, and the Spurs owe him something, I would have paid him and then waived him before I let him clog a roster spot. Apparently that's a bad thing, and I'm a bad person for thinking it. Don't follow my wicked example.
    If that take is wicked, then there is a lot of wickedness on ST beyond your singular example.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count

Why don't you just come out and say it, he's terrible. However, the Spurs are loyal to a fault so I expect them to give LJC a chance to prove himself. I don't expect him to play much at all for the big league Spurs this year but, he should get plenty of burn in Austin. It's not an ideal situation because he's not very good and he doesn't have a high ceiling. At his best, he's a fringe NBA talent but from what I saw of him during summer league, even that may be a stretch. However, if memory serves me correct, he'll still tie up a roster spot playing for Austin so unless the Spurs cut him outright (extremely unlikely given that he was a Spurs 1st round draft pick), he'll be on the roster next year.

Feel free to bump this post when he becomes the next Moses Malone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't want to say it earlier, because this place goes ape- crazy over stuff, but he is an Avery Johnson style point. I'm not saying he IS Avery Johnson, or that he will be as good as AJ. Just that their styles are similar. If you go back and look at some old video of AJ and compare them to the above, I think it will show.

Parker has always had a tendency to over-penetrate. Patty, too, to some extent. I guess because they are both looking to score first? AJ was always looking to get to a spot on the floor where he had an angle to make a good pass to a teammate. Parker and Patty both destroy their angles, and have to make their passes wide of the target to try and keep from getting picked off. It gives defenders time to close on the shooters, because they have to gather the ball and then get their feet under them. Laprovitolla runs the point much more like AJ did.

The biggest thing is that he's strong enough not to get the ball taken away from a lot, as he brings it over the mid-court line. Last year I got totally sick of watching Tony and Patty struggle when the defense got physical. (Like they do in fourth quarters.) Don't know if he can do it at this level, but I'd rather take a chance on him than a lot of the bums and skeletons that have been getting floated as possible PG insurance.
    It's telling that one of the guys Pop praised the most at the end of last season was Andre Miller. He loved him he said, and wished he was 30 years old. It's also telling out of all the candidates for that 15th spot two are PG in that mold. Arci is younger, but he's also a passer and a good shooter. He was for sure playing in SL a style that prioritized setting other ppl up and moving the ball to the scorer or open teammate than looking for his own shots. He might have been criticized by others (TGY, but I mean who doesn't that guy roast? really), but one has to think we were watching what the Spurs coaching staff was asking him to do. Vitolla is a more experienced version of what they liked in Arci apparently from what you are saying. Both guys can shoot a 3 too, something the Spurs system (featuring the post up player so much) requires too.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy ing sucks and he's inefficient as playing against a bunch brazilians

Thread Information