Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perfect! That's just about how long it took Mahinmi to become a legit NBA player. Of course, Mahanmi has a pretty serious size and strength advantage over LJC, but NBA bigs don't necessarily have to be big. Let's meet back here in 2026, and you can tell us all, "I told you so."

Personally, I look at Dedmon as a legit "prospect" that the Spurs are going to be assessing and developing. Maybe LJC, six years out? Except that he also has NBA size and strength that LJC does not. Dedmon hasn't done a whole lot yet, but he has shown signs of being able to. What I saw out of LJC, I wouldn't devote a roster spot to - and a lot of other people saw about the same. You can make all the snarky comments you want, but you aren't the only person to ever watch young basketball players before.

That pretty much has nothing to do with what I said. None of that justifies picking two UDFAs over him. It might take time to develop him? Most NBA teams don't have 15 live spots, and as the Spurs continue to move away from the Big Three, that will become more obvious.

And 26-year-old Dedmon is a rotation player (who was a d-leauger three years ago), not a prospect. LJC would likely be the third- or fourth-youngest player on the team. They aren't even remotely comparable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's like people are so used to "Spurs players" that they are struggling with the idea of the team actually developing a prospect.
    Speaking of player development, have you or anyone else here seen/heard anything further re: Monty Williams? The Spurs lost one of their better PD resources in Chad Forcier. Monty could certainly fill that role as well as provide defensive tactical support for the coaching staff.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How did Lapro perform in the Olympics? I failed to turn up his stats. I did notice that he shot .456 and .457 from 3 in the Brazilian league the last two seasons.
    He did OK, but was unplayable in some key games. Got injured in one ankle so the stats may be tainted.

To put it short, he is a Good 3pt shooter PG, a bit of a ball hog in my view considering his real scoring abilities, he tends to shoot to much for how good he is. Good passer, not great, good size for his position, average defense and speed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's an idea, what if we give him Kyle's minutes!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People begging PATFO to cut LJC for UDFAs...

It's one of the strangest developments on ST this summer. Dude is locked up under team control for two to nine years. Plenty of time to see what he has, and instead people are worried about low-ceiling guys. Livio may never amount to anything, but he's definitely a better play than the runner-up of this compe ion between the 15th-18th guys in camp.

It's like people are so used to "Spurs players" that they are struggling with the idea of the team actually developing a prospect.
    Chinook the problem i have with Livio as a prospect is that he has shown NOTHING, granted, he is tied with us for us for a potential 8 year period, but other than that he has not shown he can shine either at france´s level nor europe second tier tournament (Euro Cup). Plus, he is being asked to play a position he has been even worse at the 3 spot.
    So while i agree with you, Bertans and Laprovittola are right now, FAR more accomplished players than Livio, and you could also say the same about Garino.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That pretty much has nothing to do with what I said. None of that justifies picking two UDFAs over him. It might take time to develop him? Most NBA teams don't have 15 live spots, and as the Spurs continue to move away from the Big Three, that will become more obvious.

And 26-year-old Dedmon is a rotation player (who was a d-leauger three years ago), not a prospect. LJC would likely be the third- or fourth-youngest player on the team. They aren't even remotely comparable.

You think he's got the goods to be "developed". I don't. Since the Spurs are keeping him, I guess we'll see which one is right. If it's you, I'll say so. If it's me, you'll make some freaking excuse.

If you want to play semantics games over "prospect", go play with yourself. A prospect isn't just a guy who is ty now - he also has to show reasons to think he will become a good player. We THINK Dedmon will be good for the Spurs. But no one knows how he will do in Pop's defensive rotations, or whether he will be a guy who can (and will) do all the "little things" like Fabbs or Tiago, on the offensive end. The simple fact is that he was a 12 minute guy on a crappy Orlando team. (His minutes actually went down last season, compared to the season before.) He's a guy that is worth investing time in, because he looks like he could develop into a good player. If you want to define "prospect" as a guy who looks like TOTAL , but might develop to become third-tier filler? Well, LJC is your guy. But that's not a prospect, it's just a failed stash experiment. He looked good at the U-20's, but he's had four years to develop and he doesn't look like he's in the same league as the grown men. Just like a load of guys who can't make the jump from D-League to the NBA. Failed experiment, cut losses, move on.

All teams don't have 15 live roster spots? You're right. But good teams do. If I remember, you're one of the ones who has insisted that the Spurs are still going to be good this year. Pick a side.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other guys I am talking about are Pau (who has a player option and can opt out of his contract for more $) and Dedmon (who has another player option and is more likely to opt out of his own contract bc he accepted a very small deal). They both have more rare skills and difficult to acquire talents than Mills. I would prioritize re-signing them than Mills all things considered. As I said, he really is not that irrepleaceable and in the absence of Manu next season they may even prefer to go with a guard who has more playmaking ability than Mills has for their bench. In addition to that there is the possibility they want to just move Tony to the bench and sign someone else to start. There are any number of ways they can spin things next summer that really do not include prioritizing Mills and his $ demands. I think they have in their minds a figure they are willing to pay him (considering other guys they want to sign, Pau/Dedmon, cap etc) as well as taking into account wage increases for guys they want to retain in a couple of seasons (at least one of Anderson or Bertans) and Mills may command a figure that exceeds what they project to afford. It's really very easy to see why he could be gone in the summer.
    Gasol will more than likely end his career a Spur. Expect him to either opt in or opt out and re-sign, with a slight increase, on a 2 year contract, with a possible player option.

Dedmon, barring a debilitating injury, is a virtual lock to opt out and get a massive raise. I suspect he's the one they're most likely to not break the bank for.

They obviously need a play making guard to replace Ginobili, but they also need a shooter/scorer type and as long as the former is big and strong enough to defend shooting guards, they can pair with Mills.

The only Parker upgrade, who might be legitimately available in free agency, is Holiday. He'd be a good fit, but I question whether they'll want to commit what it would take to sign a guard, who's had serious injuries the previous 3 seasons and is good but not great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His future here is to take up a spot on the roster that would otherwise go to a real basketball prospect that might actually develop. But, the Spurs will keep LJC and gift another team a Forbes or Garino or Lapro or Simmons and get nothing in return, ultimately to dump LJC for nothing either.
    My god man, given him two years and see how he looks then before complaining. Posters on ST were calling Cojo a scrub and he's one of the best backup PGs in the league now. Posters are calling KA trash but he is significantly ahead of where Cojo was at the same point in their careers. Point being you have to give a prospect time to try and prove that he can play before saying with certainty that he can't

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can easily retain Mills, if they so choose.

A lot can change in a year, but to say right now that some camp invite is a future replacement for a sixth man, is ridiculous. All camp invites are long shots to be NBA players period, let alone rotation ones. If one of them is on the team in '17-'18, they'll have done well.

Also, having an entire bench of fringe young players, is a good way to piss off Aldridge and to a lesser extent Gasol. Doing so will only make it more difficult to lure the next significant free agent.
    They can easily retain him but I doubt that they will. I think Dedmon could have a good season and most of the Spurs cap ( I expect Gasol to opt in, leaving about $10 million) to go to him and I also think they are interested in bringing Simmons back but resigning Mills would likely mean that they lose both Ded and Simmons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will be interesting how they develop LJC and Bertans. Are they both more natural at the 4? I heard Bertans say PATFO wanted him at the 4.
    I see Bertans as a tall 3 and KA as a 4. Anderson has the tools to a good stretch 4; he has a perimeter game ( excellent mid range shooter, but needs to work on his 3pt range), can post up smaller players ( which means teams may not be able to go small to counter him playing the 4) and has good handles and court vision along with being a good defensive rebounder.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can easily retain him but I doubt that they will. I think Dedmon could have a good season and most of the Spurs cap ( I expect Gasol to opt in, leaving about $10 million) to go to him and I also think they are interested in bringing Simmons back but resigning Mills would likely mean that they lose both Ded and Simmons.
    Those 2 guys are trash compared to Mills.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see Bertans as a tall 3 and KA as a 4. Anderson has the tools to a good stretch 4; he has a perimeter game ( excellent mid range shooter, but needs to work on his 3pt range), can post up smaller players ( which means teams may not be able to go small to counter him playing the 4) and has good handles and court vision along with being a good defensive rebounder.
    Basically none of this. WTF??

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fathead is one of the worst offensive players on this ing team. And I have yet to see him get a contested rebound.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And SAGirl I'm not trying to with you. I just think fathead is terrible on this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My god man, given him two years and see how he looks then before complaining. Posters on ST were calling Cojo a scrub and he's one of the best backup PGs in the league now. Posters are calling KA trash but he is significantly ahead of where Cojo was at the same point in their careers. Point being you have to give a prospect time to try and prove that he can play before saying with certainty that he can't
    No doubt we will have a couple of years to see LJC. Based on what I have seen of him, though, he looks like a very good athlete who has few basketball skills and less understanding of the game. I don't think any of the big college basketball programs would offer him a scholarship at this point. Actually paying the guy to play seems ludicrous. I realize it is comparing apples and oranges, but Cojo looked much more like a basketball player - even if he did look like a scrub!

We shall see...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    this isn't official yet?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt we will have a couple of years to see LJC. Based on what I have seen of him, though, he looks like a very good athlete who has few basketball skills and less understanding of the game. I don't think any of the big college basketball programs would offer him a scholarship at this point. Actually paying the guy to play seems ludicrous. I realize it is comparing apples and oranges, but Cojo looked much more like a basketball player - even if he did look like a scrub!

We shall see...
    I see it as a prospect making next to nothing with a chance to develop into a rotation player down the road if everything goes well. If he stays a Spur the entire length of his deal, the Spurs would only pay out about $3.9 million over the next four years, with a chance that he can outperform that investment. Spurs have spent years filling up the end of the bench with aging vets and now they have prospects that they can develop for cheaper and have a potential to have upside.

As for Cojo, there were flashes but it wasn't until year 4 that I was convinced that he was a full time rotation NBA player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see it as a prospect making next to nothing with a chance to develop into a rotation player down the road if everything goes well. If he stays a Spur the entire length of his deal, the Spurs would only pay out about $3.9 million over the next four years, with a chance that he can outperform that investment. Spurs have spent years filling up the end of the bench with aging vets and now they have prospects that they can develop for cheaper and have a potential to have upside.

As for Cojo, there were flashes but it wasn't until year 4 that I was convinced that he was a full time rotation NBA player.
    Yes, keeping Bonner as long as we did AND filling the 15th spot with an old vet hampered the Spurs' player development for years. Admittedly, young 14th and 15th men on the roster are not going to have any real, immediate impact. In some sense all of the guys the Spurs have vying for those slots this year are a crap shoot. I just fear that we will make the wrong choice, send a decent prospect to Austin, and see Bud or somebody snatch him out from under us, while we keep LJC, who I just don't see becoming an NBA-level player. The opportunity cost of keeping LJC and retaining Bonner the last few years is essentially the same, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of player development, have you or anyone else here seen/heard anything further re: Monty Williams? The Spurs lost one of their better PD resources in Chad Forcier. Monty could certainly fill that role as well as provide defensive tactical support for the coaching staff.

I believe he is hired and on the coaching staff. Olympics broadcast spoke about it many times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And SAGirl I'm not trying to with you. I just think fathead is terrible on this team.
    Everytime I read fat head I still bust out ing laughing I am not a fan of his really.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is a good chance that the Spurs lose Mills 2 years ago if he doesn't have a torn rotator cuff.
    Last edited by buttsR4rebounding; 08-28-2016 at 07:42 AM.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perfect! That's just about how long it took Mahinmi to become a legit NBA player. Of course, Mahanmi has a pretty serious size and strength advantage over LJC, but NBA bigs don't necessarily have to be big.
    Mahinmi was pretty good in summer league when he was with the Spurs. He was one of the top centers his rookie year, and he shut down Demarcus Cousins and nearly made him cry the next year. Everyone with a brain knew Mahinmi could play. The question was could he stop fouling. The answer was no, which is why he could never play for Pop, even today. If LJC showed a fraction of that then people might be excited to have him on the roster, but he topped last year, where he had more personal fouls than rebounds with this year's performance, where he had more turnovers and personal fouls than rebounds.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joseph was one of the best players in North America in high school, and he was one of the best players in the country his freshman year in college. The only reason he fell to the Spurs is because he came out a year early. People who said he was a scrub are ing morons.

After watching him have more fouls than boards last year, and then watching him come back this summer to have more fouls AND turnovers than rebounds, it's starting to look more and more like LJC had the game of his life at the Nike Hoops Summit in 2013.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, keeping Bonner as long as we did AND filling the 15th spot with an old vet hampered the Spurs' player development for years. Admittedly, young 14th and 15th men on the roster are not going to have any real, immediate impact. In some sense all of the guys the Spurs have vying for those slots this year are a crap shoot. I just fear that we will make the wrong choice, send a decent prospect to Austin, and see Bud or somebody snatch him out from under us, while we keep LJC, who I just don't see becoming an NBA-level player. The opportunity cost of keeping LJC and retaining Bonner the last few years is essentially the same, imo.
    I see your point but the Spurs made a commitment when they drafted in him the first round. His development was much slower than expected, especially after tearing his ACL after getting drafted and playing mediocre ball the two seasons afterward. He may never be worthy of a first rounder but the Spurs can't just preemptively cut him before they know for sure; for all we know, in three seasons he may be a top 12 player for the Spurs and the season after (year 5) maybe he cracks the top 10 in the rotation.

As for Forbes, Arci, and Garino. I would have assumed the 15th would have went to Garino but this signing may point to otherwise. If Garino gets cut then me will likely go oversees while Forbes and Arci may play for the Spurs in the D League. They could be stolen (called up) by another team but if they are on the D league Spurs, the smarter move may be to play out next season and see how the Spurs roster situation looks.

I could see Mills being let to walk and, with Manu retiring and maybe the Spurs moving on from David Lee (depending on KA's development as a 4 and the status of Milutinov. That could mean two or three open roster spots (depending also on whether the '17 draft pick is a stash or not). In that event Forbes or Arci could still be a Spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joseph was one of the best players in North America in high school, and he was one of the best players in the country his freshman year in college. The only reason he fell to the Spurs is because he came out a year early. People who said he was a scrub are ing morons.

After watching him have more fouls than boards last year, and then watching him come back this summer to have more fouls AND turnovers than rebounds, it's starting to look more and more like LJC had the game of his life at the Nike Hoops Summit in 2013.
    Entirely possible LJC doesn't pan out but the point is that posters on ST are already calling for him to be cut. He may be two years away from looking like an NBA player, if he ever does, but the Spurs are going to have him on the roster either way for at least that long to see how he develops. Maybe he progresses year to year and by Year 4 is an Al Aminu type of player and the Spurs would have the ability to lock him up on a long term deal. Judging a prospect so soon accomplishes nothing.

Thread Information