My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Throughout this election cycle, in addition to the tried and true Party of Lincn talking point, we've been hearing conservative pundits constantly refer to the democrats as the party who "opposed the civil rights act" or some variant of that "fact"...

but for the ST audience, lets go into the numbers...

If you go by political party, both parties largely supported the 1964 civil rights act

In the Senate: Democrats favored the bill 69% to 31%. Republicans favored the bill 82% to 18%
    In the House: Democrats favored the bill 63% to 27%. Republicans favored the bill 80% to 20%

Now, just by looking at these percentages, we can put the "democrats opposed the civil rights act" point to rest. But I know what you're thinking... "hey look, the republicans were more strongly in favor of the civil rights act than democrats!" While true at face value, we can get a much better perspective by analyzing the voting patterns based on demographics other than strictly political party...

If we call the 11 confederate states "southern states" and all 39 other states as "northern" states, just for the sake of simplicity lets look at the North vs South voting records...

In the Senate:

Northern Democrats favored the bill 94% to 6%, whereas Northern Republicans favored the bill 84% to 16%.
    Southern Democrats opposed the bill 5% to 95%, whereas the only southern republican opposed the bill.

In the House:

Northern Democrats favored the bill 94% to 6%, whereas Northern Republicans favored the bill 85% to 15%
    Southern Democrats opposed the bill 7% to 93%, whereas Southern Republicans opposed the bill 0% to 100%

As you see, the great disparity when it comes to the civil rights act really shows its face when you isolate the confederate states vs the rest of the country. Hopefully we can put this talking point to rest, at least on this forum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The southern migration happened over 40 years ago.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hilarious! Spurraider and other Repug rightwingnuts doin "reachout" to knitters and Mexicans, trying to rewrite well-known Repug history to whitewash the Repug party.

After the legal, political progress of the all y'alls beloved knitters in the 60s, the racist southern SLAVE STATE Democrats all switched to become racist southern SLAVE STATE Repugs.

So for nearly 50 years now, the Repugs are the party of racists, bigots, xenophobes, jingos, misogynists, white national supremacists. 10Ms of the Repug base have been loving, following, supporting Trash for his racism, bigotry, xenophobia, jingoism, misogyny, white national supremacism.

Establishment Repugs hate Trash because he stole their implied, decades-long, dog-whistled racism, bigotry, xenophobia, jingoism, misogyny, white national supremacism and made it BLATANTLY his own, exposing the Repugs and their red/slave state base as piles of ignorant racist .

Guess who were aides to Nixon in the Repug Southern Strategy? Lee DIRTY TRICKSTER A er and Roger ING Ailes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LBJ was right.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope, he was wrong. Dems lost the slave states for much more than a generation.

One of a politician, much more effective than JFK.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and you rightwingnuts object to my "slave states" denigration as 150 years out-of-date, unfair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont think booboo read the OP... how is this thread "right wing reachout" to anybody

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

One of a politician, much more effective than JFK.

LOL, when you kill your Boss and give the Country's Financial system back to the in-bred Eurotrash that runs the world's banking and then you steal from FDR's Big Book of Lies and set the modern precedent for mass-lying to the entire population to enter wars that NO ONE wants and civil unrest and racial tensioning- YUP, sounds about right.

Start wars while lying to people. Everyone hates that. Boston LOVES it.

A non-closet, closet racist. Everyone hates that. Boston LOVES it.

Kill probably the best President of the modern era after he took back the American banking system. Within 5 hours of his death, the American Banking system was given back to inbred Eurotrash. Everyone hates that. Boston LOVES it.

All of the civil unrest of the sixites can be tied to one President. EVERYONE hates that. Boston LOVES it.

Everyone HATES greedy, corrupt, murderous politicians that are closet racists. Boston LOVES them per his comments.

Funny how you pretend to hate this stuff when the Right is accused of it but to continue on with the "Typical Liberalism for Dip s 101" lessons you've been taking online at Phoenix University and continue to defend it. But, I saw some of the stuff from that course and I'm positive that "Hypocrisy, Denial and Deflection" is Lesson I.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont think booboo read the OP... how is this thread "right wing reachout" to anybody
    Doesn't even seem like he read the thread led. Dude just has it in his head that anyone who isn't on his level of liberal mania is a Trumpet

Thread Information