View Poll Results: Spurs Still Legit Championship Contenders?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

98 73.13%
  • No

36 26.87%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'll have a good record again. Maybe 55 or so wins. But no..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said last season that once Tim/Manu retire, we wouldn't contend for a while. I don't see the additions this season changing that outlook.

Hope to be wrong, obviously.
    About a 90% chance we'll be outcoached in the playoffs.
    Unless Pop retires, we won't contend for a while.
    Hope to be wrong, obviously. 2014

Curious to see what kind of shape and effort SoftRidge will put in on D.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just as long as Spurs make it to the WCF then they have a chance. The odds are really high that they make the WCF, now with OKC crippled and no other Western team upgrading.

If either Curry or Durant are injured, then the chances are even that Spurs can beat GSW.

The Spurs are definitely as good as the Cavs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    parker starting/his style of play impedes kawhi's development as a player and playmaker.

the trouble with the team is tony.
    Tony is who he is and he is the age he is. It's on Pop to make adjustments and Kawhi has to be more vocal too. We can't continue to blame Tony for everything bad that goes under the sun. If there is something missing for the Spurs is that he can no longer be the player he was and sometimes the team misses that, but nobody else except Dijon once he matures a little bit has that quickness and ability to go by past someone and create havoc off the dribble like Tony used to. It's really on Pop at this point how he addresses that.

Tony is not going to bench himself or not execute what the coach wants and I am not defending Tony, but something has got to give with Pop IMO.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    We can't continue to blame Tony for everything bad that goes under the sun.
    i've never blamed tony for everything. but i will blame tp for being tp.

it's amazing how much people don't understand his detrimentally.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's sad to say, but when we have Lamarcus Aldridge on the team, it automatically means second-round exit.
    Yep, forever a loser..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron schooling dudes:

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly what I've been saying. If you have a chance to compete for a Championship, that is all you can ask for.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll be better than last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can't continue to blame Tony for everything bad that goes under the sun.
    In fact, we can.

Pop made it clear, Parker and Manu, both are the Spurs leaders, not Kawhi/LMA.

"I think those two guys will pick up more of the slack, I’ll look to them to communicate with players..."

So if something goes bad they should take the blame, 'cause their big power as leaders carries a great deal of responsibility in the team success.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We still have a roster that is contender worthy and Pop can coach in the regular season, so based on that I voted yes.

Now as to what happens in the playoffs.....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We still have a roster that is contender worthy and Pop can coach in the regular season, so based on that I voted yes.

Now as to what happens in the playoffs.....
    I mean, sure we're not the favourites or anything, but what do people around here expect? Is no-one here going to be happy if the Spurs aren't the favourites going into the season? That's being spoiled and taking it for granted.

I'll use 2003 as an example - That season I had no idea what was going to happen going into it, but I thought the Spurs had a chance to do something even though Pop said it was a rebuilding year. I liked the mix of young players like Manu, Jackson and Claxton with the older players such as Kerr returning and adding a vet like Kevin Willis. We were looking to start with Steve Smith going into the season and it didn't look too good before the season started. We were nowhere near being the favourites before that season started. Spurs have a similar chance and outlook going into this season as they did that one. I just don't understand what people around here want.

How can you not be happy with having a chance? I'd rather take out a Superteam than always looking to form one just to feel comfortable going into the season. I love what Dewayne Dedmon said a month or so ago where he said he'd rather beat a team like the Warriors than join them. That's the kind of players and at ude that I'm looking for. That at ude reminds me a little bit of a young Stephen Jackson. It's kind of a weird coincidence that he's going to wear number 3. Hopefully he can put it all together and be a huge asset/key player for the Spurs. Hopefully a lot of these young players can put it all together this season for the Spurs. Should be an exciting season IMO.
    Last edited by Ice009; 09-27-2016 at 04:21 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In fact, we can.

Pop made it clear, Parker and Manu, both are the Spurs leaders, not Kawhi/LMA.

"I think those two guys will pick up more of the slack, I’ll look to them to communicate with players..."

So if something goes bad they should take the blame, 'cause their big power as leaders carries a great deal of responsibility in the team success.
    I saw those interviews and he meant it in the sense of on the bus, in hotels, etc, try to make others comfortable, incorporate them into the team, establish good chemistry, bc ppl learn easier when they are in a comfortable situation. Almost exactly what Pop said. They also both (Tony and Manu) meant it in terms of teaching the "Spurs way", how they do things, the fact that they place winning and competing for a championship above any personal accolade or personal frustration. One thing that Pop said, is that every time they won a championship, those teams were special and had a lot of chemistry. It's going to be a challenge for a new team with so much turnover, and so many rookies to have that special chemistry and it will require extra effort from all the veterans in making all these dudes feel an integral part of the team.

LMA and Pau also talked about leadership. LMA seems to keep mostly to himself, while Pau is more active and and will get involved when the team faces adversity. Overall, it seems like it will be a collective effort, which might just seem magnified this season because Tim retired, who was the ultimate glue guy and teammate and made everyone feel welcome. How many times did we see Tim just offer comfort or advice to the scrubbiest of dudes in the team? How many times Tim cheered and congratulated his young teammates for a nice play? He's a HoF player, and so many of Tim's former teammates have come out saying how Tim made them feel like they could accomplish anything on the court (S.JaX one of the biggest loudmouths and still swears by Tim, but there were so many, including youngsters still playing in this team). I think that is the kind of leadership that they will be missing and Pop just motivated all the veterans in the team to step in.

Bottom line, I think Pop continues to hope that Kawhi becomes more talkative and make others feel comfortable playing with him etc., but he's still not outgoing enough for what the team needs right now. He's not a guy who is going to be reaching out to others, encouraging others, etc. And all of those things establish good team chemistry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs' rotation is filled with vets who, with the exceptions of LMA, Anderson and Dedmon, have all won les. They don't need leadership as much as people are implying. They all know what they are supposed to do. Any of them can be leaders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs' rotation is filled with vets who, with the exceptions of LMA, Anderson and Dedmon, have all won les. They don't need leadership as much as people are implying. They all know what they are supposed to do. Any of them can be leaders.
    I think it was meant in the way Tim made everyone feel welcome, how he knew to offer an encouraging word to someone who was struggling, etc. That may never be replaced, it was a personal quality of Tim, but he was able to lift others when they needed it, thus preventing cancerous feelings from erupting, you know what I mean? A lot of former teammates have talked about that quality from Tim and Danny and Anderson from the current Spurs have both mentioned how Tim was able to offer support when they went through their own struggles, which all young players go through.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it was meant in the way Tim made everyone feel welcome, how he knew to offer an encouraging word to someone who was struggling, etc. That may never be replaced, it was a personal quality of Tim, but he was able to lift others when they needed it, thus preventing cancerous feelings from erupting, you know what I mean? A lot of former teammates have talked about that quality from Tim and Danny and Anderson from the current Spurs have both mentioned how Tim was able to offer support when they went through their own struggles, which all young players go through.
    Tim's obviously one of a kind. But I was just saying that Pop doesn't have to enforce leadership on anyone. Green and Leonard are considered to be relatively new guys still, but they've be more tenured that the large majority of players on other teams. Our perspective is often skewed as Spurs fans, but there is no real absence of experience or continuity with Tim gone. I have no doubt that with guys like Mills on the team, they'll be all right chemistry-wise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim's obviously one of a kind. But I was just saying that Pop doesn't have to enforce leadership on anyone. Green and Leonard are considered to be relatively new guys still, but they've be more tenured that the large majority of players on other teams. Our perspective is often skewed as Spurs fans, but there is no real absence of experience or continuity with Tim gone. I have no doubt that with guys like Mills on the team, they'll be all right chemistry-wise.
    Ok. ESSAY time!
    POP makes a big deal of it and all the veterans that spoke to the media talked about it, but they all have their style. Pop has talked about Kawhi and leadership multiple times so I think it's important for Pop at least and he has tried to get Kawhi to be more involved with teammates. What happens there we will just have to see during this and future seasons.

Obviously they haven't lost as much chemistry as one would have thought bc they still have a core that has been together for many seasons and been through a lot. Like you said, the most significant rotation guys with the exception of the guys you mentioned above are veterans with experience and former NBA champions. But in perspective, it's for the youngsters. Both Kawhi and Danny himself were once schooled by the big 3 and saw what winning took. Some rookies might not be significant for this season but are part of the team's future and they start getting schooled in the Spurs way from their first year.

But it's more than that. I definitely think for Anderson for example, when he was in the dleague and benched in a suit as a rookie it was probably hard to get focused and keep in perspective that his work was important for future seasons, or even feel like a relevant part of the team back then, but he got the best example in Cojo, who was still in the team at the time. Cojo even called to check up on Anderson while he was in the dleague on the road for weeks at a time, bc I saw it on Anderson's tweet account, how grateful he was CoJo checked up on him. Diaw also went to one of his dleague games. So even though we hardly saw him his rookie season, he was made to feel a part of the team by veterans back then and the guys cared how he was doing. The chemistry in last season's team was special with teammates supporting Ray Mccallum and Boban too while they were in the dleague, the same way.

Anderson also saw how Cojo and Mills helped and encouraged each other even though they competed for playing time and he's done the same with Simmons now, keeping positive and now setting an example for the rookies. Simmons gave an interview about that. That's the example that these rookies see. So I think it's at all levels. They probably feel more comfortable asking questions to J.Simms and Anderson anyways than Kawhi or Tony or Manu, but if we look further the seeds in these two Spurs were planted through a couple of prior seasons already, including the games they played with veterans who have retired or moved on. Having known and seen Tim and the team through the playoffs helps them too.

Finally, in terms of the big team, Anderson himself is young in NBA terms and he was starting to get relied on for real for the first time this past season. The team probably needs more from him. Simmons too. Do you remember how tough it was for Danny when he went cold at the most inopportune time in the playoffs? These guys haven't been through that. Heck Pop didn't even want to put the burden of scoring on Anderson at all and sank the bench in 6 games going to the same guys over and over bc they probably thought he wasn't ready. They can't afford that this season. There's definitely a youngster element. It's possible the bench will fail if they don't perform well. That's the truth bc Manu is a year older, Patty is hot/cold and the bench shouldn't rely so heavily on his long ball that he's taking double the shots everyone else together is taking and Lee doesn't bring the things they can do. The team behind them is a sea of even more raw rookies.

I bet that's where Manu's leadership in the bench will be the most needed. Not to save them from failing or coming to heroball them out of trouble, though I am sure he will find ways to help however he can at times and may still be able to do that on occasion, but overall to encourage, motivate and support when they are struggling. Like Pau said, the leadership thing is needed the most when the team faces adversity and they may in the bench. Hopefully not, but their bench is going to very young and inexperienced once you take Manu out and he will be out at times.

Bottom line, the foundation of Spurs future teams is being laid this season. There are games this season that might be dependent on the youngsters playing well, and in the future it's going to be even more on them. If anything I think the bridge between the present Spurs and the future is being built right now and it needs to be a solid foundation if Kawhi wants to reach the HoF career that he wants. On his way to his own HoF careers both DRob and TD raised the careers of a whole lot of players. Danny himself has talked about this. Kawhi (and LMA) need these guys. It's their team and if Pop looks to others to lead right now its not bc he hasn't asked Kawhi first, it's bc others have to fill in where Kawhi is lacking IMO. And maybe Tim retiring does leave a hole in that department that Pop feels only a village can fill up. Kawhi himself and Danny had Tim to support them just until this past season, now they are the ones that are supposed to support others that's how it goes. I am guessing when Tim was in the team Pop wasn't that concerned with leadership but he has now made a big deal about it to the point all veterans mentioned it.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 09-27-2016 at 03:07 PM. Reason: grammar, long answer lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok. ESSAY time!
    POP makes a big deal of it and all the veterans that spoke to the media talked about it, but they all have their style. Pop has talked about Kawhi and leadership multiple times so I think it's important for Pop at least and he has tried to get Kawhi to be more involved with teammates. What happens there we will just have to see during this and future seasons.

Obviously they haven't lost as much chemistry as one would have thought bc they still have a core that has been together for many seasons and been through a lot. Like you said, the most significant rotation guys with the exception of the guys you mentioned above are veterans with experience and former NBA champions. But in perspective, it's for the youngsters. Both Kawhi and Danny himself were once schooled by the big 3 and saw what winning took. Some rookies might not be significant for this season but are part of the team's future and they start getting schooled in the Spurs way from their first year.

But it's more than that. I definitely think for Anderson for example, when he was in the dleague and benched in a suit as a rookie it was probably hard to get focused and keep in perspective that his work was important for future seasons, or even feel like a relevant part of the team back then, but he got the best example in Cojo, who was still in the team at the time. Cojo even called to check up on Anderson while he was in the dleague on the road for weeks at a time, bc I saw it on Anderson's tweet account, how grateful he was CoJo checked up on him. Diaw also went to one of his dleague games. So even though we hardly saw him his rookie season, he was made to feel a part of the team by veterans back then and the guys cared how he was doing. The chemistry in last season's team was special with teammates supporting Ray Mccallum and Boban too while they were in the dleague, the same way.

Anderson also saw how Cojo and Mills helped and encouraged each other even though they competed for playing time and he's done the same with Simmons now, keeping positive and now setting an example for the rookies. Simmons gave an interview about that. That's the example that these rookies see. So I think it's at all levels. They probably feel more comfortable asking questions to J.Simms and Anderson anyways than Kawhi or Tony or Manu, but if we look further the seeds in these two Spurs were planted through a couple of prior seasons already, including the games they played with veterans who have retired or moved on. Having known and seen Tim and the team through the playoffs helps them too.

Finally, in terms of the big team, Anderson himself is young in NBA terms and he was starting to get relied on for real for the first time this past season. The team probably needs more from him. Simmons too. Do you remember how tough it was for Danny when he went cold at the most inopportune time in the playoffs? These guys haven't been through that. Heck Pop didn't even want to put the burden of scoring on Anderson at all and sank the bench in 6 games going to the same guys over and over bc they probably thought he wasn't ready. They can't afford that this season. There's definitely a youngster element. It's possible the bench will fail if they don't perform well. That's the truth bc Manu is a year older, Patty is hot/cold and the bench shouldn't rely so heavily on his long ball that he's taking over half of the shots everyone else together is taking and Lee doesn't bring the things they can do. The team behind them is a sea of even more raw rookies.

I bet that's where Manu's leadership in the bench will be the most needed. Not to save them from failing or coming to heroball them out of trouble, though I am sure he will find ways to help however he can at times and may still be able to do that on occasion, but overall to encourage, motivate and support when they are struggling. Like Pau said, the leadership thing is needed the most when the team faces adversity and they may in the bench. Hopefully not, but their bench is going to very young and inexperienced once you take Manu out and he will be out at times.

Bottom line, the foundation of Spurs future teams is being laid this season. There are games this season that might be dependent on the youngsters playing well, and in the future it's going to be even more on them. If anything I think the bridge between the present Spurs and the future is being built right now and it needs to be a solid foundation if Kawhi wants to reach the HoF career that he wants. On his way to his own HoF careers both DRob and TD raised the careers of a whole lot of players. Danny himself has talked about this. Kawhi (and LMA) need these guys. It's their team and if Pop looks to others to lead right now its not bc he hasn't asked Kawhi first, it's bc others have to fill in where Kawhi is lacking IMO. And maybe Tim retiring does leave a hole in that department that Pop feels only a village can fill up. Kawhi himself and Danny had Tim to support them just until this past season, now they are the ones that are supposed to support others that's how it goes. I am guessing when Tim was in the team Pop wasn't that concerned with leadership but he has now made a big deal about it to the point all veterans mentioned it.
    #EnsayoChica I'll have to read this after work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #EnsayoChica I'll have to read this after work.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, sure we're not the favourites or anything, but what do people around here expect? Is no-one here going to be happy if the Spurs aren't the favourites going into the season? That's being spoiled and taking it for granted.
    I haven't seen a single person convey any of this. You've either misconstrued or more likely made this up.

I'll use 2003 as an example - That season I had no idea what was going to happen going into it, but I thought the Spurs had a chance to do something even though Pop said it was a rebuilding year. I liked the mix of young players like Manu, Jackson and Claxton with the older players such as Kerr returning and adding a vet like Kevin Willis. We were looking to start with Steve Smith going into the season and it didn't look too good before the season started. We were nowhere near being the favourites before that season started. Spurs have a similar chance and outlook going into this season as they did that one. I just don't understand what people around here want.
    They won in '03 because Duncan was the best player in the league and authored probably the greatest all around playoff performance of all time.

It also helped that the Lakers weren't a particular match-up issue (they were a talent issue, but it was more so a question of playing well enough) and were running on fumes from 3 straight championships.

This is exactly what I mean by cliche, vanilla takes. No actual reason(s) why they're supposedly contenders, just things like "what about '03?", "they're still one of the best teams", "super teams don't always win in year 1" and my personal favorite "they just need to play well".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't seen a single person convey any of this. You've either misconstrued or more likely made this up.

They won in '03 because Duncan was the best player in the league and authored probably the greatest all around playoff performance of all time.

It also helped that the Lakers weren't a particular match-up issue (they were a talent issue, but it was more so a question of playing well enough) and were running on fumes from 3 straight championships.

This is exactly what I mean by cliche, vanilla takes. No actual reason(s) why they're supposedly contenders, just things like "what about '03?", "they're still one of the best teams", "super teams don't always win in year 1" and my personal favorite "they just need to play well".
    Hey man: They're still one of the top 3, uh 4 teams. You know super teams don't always win in year 1 anyways. This team just needs to play well and everything will sort itself out.
    Now fetch me that vanilla bean... I'mma rub it all over my body 'cause I heard it was good for the skins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey man: They're still one of the top 3, uh 4 teams. You know super teams don't always win in year 1 anyways. This team just needs to play well and everything will sort itself out.
    Now fetch me that vanilla bean... I'mma rub it all over my body 'cause I heard it was good for the skins.
    LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Durant or Curry could reaggravate their injuries.
    This is, unfortunately, the only way any other team would be considered contenders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A very important point. Frankly though I discussed the bench a whole lot the biggest questions for the playoffs bottom line are in the SL. As much as I chatted with TD 21 about the bench and the 3 pt shooting, the rotation will be cut short in the playoffs and its up to the stars to take the team home. It's Kawhi and LMA team and its on them. It's why I stated somewhere else that if Kawhi doesn't develop as a playmaker the team will be in trouble. Tony and Manu are not who they were and so go missing for games in the playoffs. If Kawhi and the other stars don't have it that is that. No one blames the roleplayers when teams underachive, it's on the coach and the stars bottom line. Roleplayers need to be set up and Tony and Manu are roleplayers right now. Hopefully Pop sees that and tries to address it somehow.
    Very good points as usual! I think Pau should take some of that pressure off of Kawhi with his passing abilities and B-ball intelligence. If Pop can somehow put a strong bench unit together

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way to tell. The 2013-2014 finals runs wouldn't have been possible without a lot of young players suddenly becoming better than most of us ever imagined. The Spurs are going to have to live by that formula, a deep, talented team that puts constant pressure on the opponent, in order to have a chance. There will need to be some surprises for that to become a reality. I'm really excited to see the evolution of the two-man game with Aldridge and Kawhi.

Thread Information