My Team
    Mississippi State Bulldogs
    Post Count
    And I'm not talking about being down by 2 with 0:35 seconds left in the game. That's a no-brainer.

Oregon is making a little news because they lost by 3 to Nebraska last week. They scored 5 touchdowns and went for 2 every single time, but they only got one successful 2 point conversion. To be fair...not too many teams do this (and Oregon is probably the most famous).

Just wondering, "Why the need to chase the points so early in the game?" What's the logic behind this? I understand that if you actually do get the 2 pts early the other team is already behind the 8-ball, but does the risk outweigh the reward?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Only go for it if necessary, tbh

My Team
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Post Count
    At this point, since the college PAT is still a chip shot, teams should take it unless they need the two points.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    I'm almost certain it's bc their kicking game is a mess. Our starter to start the season (now a backup) missed his first two XPs of the season. Shortly after, I remember reading that UTSA was one of only a few teams to miss multiple XPs after week one. Oregon was on the list too. Their kicker missed three IIRC.

My Team
    Mississippi State Bulldogs
    Post Count
    I'm almost certain it's bc their kicking game is a mess. Our starter to start the season (now a backup) missed his first two XPs of the season. Shortly after, I remember reading that UTSA was one of only a few teams to miss multiple XPs after week one. Oregon was on the list too. Their kicker missed three IIRC.
    A lot of that is probably first game (or very early season) nerves. I don't think that is enough to buck the trend and start going for 2 every time. Also, I don't know if he straight up missed the PAT or it was blocked (which isn't always the kickers fault).

I'm not an expert on Oregon recruiting, but I suspect they got a pretty decent high school or Juco commit. He's good enough to make a chip shot PAT. He practices it every single day (all day).

My Team
    TAMU-CC Islanders
    Post Count
    Oregon always go for 2 after their 1st td.

I dont go for 2 ever, until you reach the last 8 minutes of the game. Otherwise, you start chasing points the rest of the game.

Now, in the nfl, with the new pat rules, i would go for 2 more often, especially during non-conference games.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    North Texas Mean Green
    Post Count
    At this point, since the college PAT is still a chip shot, teams should take it unless they need the two points.
    Agree

Thread Information