My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The end for Ward

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3382821

There were no tearful news conference, no long farewell. But Charlie Ward confirmed Tuesday that his playing career is over.

"It's a transition from playing to coaching, but I still get an opportunity to be around the guys and be able to impart wisdom," said Ward, who began working as a Rockets assistant coach Tuesday. "I could have tried it, but it's a good career move."

The move ends a unique playing career that brought Ward from Heisman Trophy winner to a fixture with the Knicks before he signed with the Rockets last season. The damage in his right knee became too severe for him to come back again.

"I think he should be very, very proud of what he accomplished in his career, because he helped a lot of teams overachieve because of his toughness," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said.

"He's always underestimated because he didn't have the And1 breakdown game and was very, very humble.

"But one of the toughest compe ors you would ever compete against. We always said Charlie would rip your heart out on the floor and then pray for you after. That's the kind of guy you want to surround yourself with."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked him. I've got him in my PC NBA Live 2005 team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "I could have tried it, but it's a good career move."

I didn't want to run sprints in training camp. Van Gundy also going over the top with the funeral speech. The only heart he ripped out was Peter Holt's when Cat figured out he payed the pro rated minimum for a Whataburger spokesman at best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea for Charlie! I wish him much success... just not against us. = )

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't do jack for us. Still, you gotta give props to a guy who both had a servicable NBA career and won the friggin Heisman Trophy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't do jack for us. Still, you gotta give props to a guy who both had a servicable NBA career and won the friggin Heisman Trophy.

LOL. You wouldn't know from the article that Charlie was ever here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ward was felt to be short and not have enough arm strength for the NFL. I think he also might have announced early that he was planning on the NBA. Still, I agree it's ridiculous that no one even drafted him.

See you when it burns SWC Bonfire's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ward was felt to be short and not have enough arm strength for the NFL. I think he also might have announced early that he was planning on the NBA. Still, I agree it's ridiculous that no one even drafted him.
    He made it well known that he intended to play basketball. Maybe someone slipped a late-round pick on him just in case, but that never materialized.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Charlie wasn't picked at all in the NFL draft. It's funny: All the years he was with the Knicks he was the best QB in the state of New York, and now he's the best QB in the city of Houston.

I loved watching that FSU team with Ward, Sam Cassell and Bobby Sura.

Thread Information