Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    Not many people know that Olsen is within the top ten all time with TD's, receptions, and yards. Most people also don't know that he's in a race with Gronk to be the first Tight End ever with three straight years of 1000 yards receiving.

Gronk obviously is a freak, and one of the more surreal athletes ever. His ability to literally truck stick half a defense is unprecedented.... but he's injury prone... he's not as big to their offense as Carolina.

Obviously this is a bold statement that's going to get flack... but he deserves his props.

5 games in for Olsen this year... 33 receptions... 520 yards.. 103 YPG

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Is this...since I can no longer brag on Newton or the team how about....hmmmm?

Obviously you are talking vs other TE's.

As of right now I rank the TE'S

1.Tony Gonzalez
    2.Jason Witten
    3.Antonio Gates
    4.Shannon Sharpe
    5.Kellon Winslow
    6.Ozzie Newsome
    7.John Mackey
    8.Gronk
    9.Mike Ditka
    10.Greg Olsen

Obviously the only ones who can move up on that list would be Gronk, who is the best TE in the NFL and Olsen. Witten won't be nudging out Gonzalez and neither will anyone else.

Kellon Winslow was the first "great" receiving TE and if the Chargers hadn't of had Charlie Joiner (HOFer) John Jefferson/Wes Chandler his numbers would have been way up there.

What you do have with Greg Olsen is the only Panthers who would be in the top 10 at his position all time.
    Last edited by Avante; 10-11-2016 at 12:50 PM.

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    Is this...since I can no longer brag on Newton or the team how about....hmmmm?
    Slow down rook... it's been 5 games... Newton has the best record in December in NFL history....

In the Panthers last three years making the playoffs they started....

1-3... finished 12-4
    3-8... finished 7-8; made playoffs, won a game

Newton will come back and solidify his back to back MVP with a crazy second half season... but lets talk Olsen

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Slow down rook... it's been 5 games... Newton has the best record in December in NFL history....

In the Panthers last three years making the playoffs they started....

1-3... finished 12-4
    3-8... finished 7-8; made playoffs, won a game

Newton will come back and solidify his back to back MVP with a crazy second half season... but lets talk Olsen
    I did talk Olsen. By the time he retires he will be in the top five all time for TE's.

In the Ron Rivera era the Panthers when starting out 1-4

2011...6-10
    2012...7-9

When ya lose to a team you have totally owned for five seasons (8-2) something is broke and needs fixing. And, heading into week six is a lot different than freaking out after two/three weeks like the rookies do.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    Mah

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    dat's my tight end

My Team
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Post Count
    The answer is still Gronk, but Olsen is a beast no doubt.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    It's still gronk. Olsen won't be a hall of famer. Gronk will.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    It's still gronk. Olsen won't be a hall of famer. Gronk will.
    There is no reason to think Olsen won't be a HOF TE if he stays healthy and keeps putting up the numbers he's been putting up.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    no. he's never been the class of his position. for the first half of his career he was just a decent player. he's become pro bowl caliber in carolina, but never was the best of the best. never been first team all pro, has been 2nd team all pro twice. very good player, not HOF material

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    no. he's never been the class of his position. for the first half of his career he was just a decent player. he's become pro bowl caliber in carolina, but never was the best of the best. never been first team all pro, has been 2nd team all pro twice. very good player, not HOF material
    I started to say.."if he has 4 more seasons like his last 4, he's in".....then I saw he's 31 years old, I was thinking he was 28ish. So you're right.

Not that his numbers still won't be superior to Mike Ditka, Dave Casper, Ozzie Newsome, Jackie Smith, John Mackey, who are in the HOF.

My Team
    Seattle Seahawks
    Post Count
    Gronkosaurus, not even close.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Gronk is great, but Witten is ballin this year imo tbh fwiw

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    Lol he's he class of hIs position now and has been the past three years.. just been overshadowed..

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    I started to say.."if he has 4 more seasons like his last 4, he's in".....then I saw he's 31 years old, I was thinking he was 28ish. So you're right.

Not that his numbers still won't be superior to Mike Ditka, Dave Casper, Ozzie Newsome, Jackie Smith, John Mackey, who are in the HOF.
    Easy hall of famer just off stats. play another 5 years

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    Gronkosaurus, not even close.
    Take him ten games a year. I'll take Olsen

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Not sure how age will effect him, it's always different, a very individualistic situation.

IF....he does play another 5 seasons like he's been playing, yep...HOFer. But, at 35/36 things should be different.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I think the Panthers can get to 9-7 realistically based on their schedule... no playoffs. For instance, they have to play in Seattle.

My Team
    Seattle Seahawks
    Post Count
    Take him ten games a year. I'll take Olsen
    He produces more with less time on the field Sounds like an effective worker to me.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Lol he's he class of hIs position now and has been the past three years.. just been overshadowed..
    you aren't "the class" of the position if you're overshadowed by a guy who actually IS the class of the position.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count

yes his raw stats are there, and they'll end up better than guys like ditka. but ditka was the class of the position when he was playing, its just that the era has changed.

i mean, do you think mike wallace is a greater player than don hutson because his stats are better? you need way more perspective than that. olsen isn't better than gronk. he isn't better than witten. and he certainly isn't better than gates. i dont think they're going to pump in 4-5 TE's from the same era... there simply wont be room to get him in

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    I think the Panthers can get to 9-7 realistically based on their schedule... no playoffs. For instance, they have to play in Seattle.
    1-4

beat NO
    lose to one of these..Arizona, LA, KC.
    beat NO
    could lose both...at Raiders/Seahawks
    beat Chargers
    win two of last three

8-8 maybe 9-7

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    beat NO, beat Cards, Rams and Chiefs, NO again, beat OAK away, lose in Seattle, beat Chargers, lose at Redskins, lose to Falcons, beat Bucs

9-7

But they're cooked for good if they don't win in the Katrinadome this week.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    basically need to win the next 6 games to save their season, assuming @ Seattle is a loss. Doable, but only if they get their act together.

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    you aren't "the class" of the position if you're overshadowed by a guy who actually IS the class of the position.
    It's different when the best TE ever is playing - you are going to get overshadowed. But, as of today, and really I could argue the past two years - he was a victim to the hype machine of Gronk (which I admit is deserved but not to the point where the discussion is closed)

Also, I could argue Olsen helping Newton get to a 15-1 season with Ted Ginn Jr as the #1 is better than anything Gronk has done short the SB... but he didn't even play in all the games that year either

Thread Information