I'm so excited about this guy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and the comparison with Bonner looks more ridiculous every day

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    last nights game was the first I watched this season ... I like his shooting ... nice pump fake ... attacked the rim once ... and has length on defense ... I like him a lot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and the comparison with Bonner looks more ridiculous every day
    Yeah, let's see if he can not do it in games that count before we anoint him Matty 2.0.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Arenas rule adjustment is supposedly one of the issues being discussed for the new CBA, though I believe the focus is to detox the poison pill offers.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what everybody said about Boban last season.
    That was a different scenario, the Spurs needed capspace to sign Gasol.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree completely. I think we're already in "fleece territory" with Kawhi alone.
    We were in the fleece territory back in 2012. By 2016 we're nearing the McHale & Parish for Joe Barry Carroll level of trade rape.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertan's 3 point shooting stroke looks so effortless and perfect. I'm sold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus, he'll create matchup problems for other teams. I can see it already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We were in the fleece territory back in 2012. By 2016 we're nearing the McHale & Parish for Joe Barry Carroll level of trade rape.
    If he puts some muscle on his body and flashes starter potential, we could have a Herschel Walker situation on our hands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With 82 games a head of us I think Bertans will be getting more PT than your average NBA rookie. He's not a starter so it'll be within reason. I'm also stoked that we have other threats on the offense this year. Welcome Lauro and Forbes!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertan's 3 point shooting stroke looks so effortless and perfect. I'm sold.
    Not only effortless. Did you notice his range!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans is the best "pf" to play against Draymond. You can't post up Draymond so stretching the floor is the best thing to do. And on defense it isn't very difficult to guard him and his length/vertical defense would be a huge advantage. Of course we don't truly have the guard talent to take advantage of that but Bertans would help neutralize Draymond's impact. GSW so stacked though they can just move Draymond to center to again take some advantage of his strengths.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop loving a gunner? Never heard of such.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two-years deals a much more stable than one-year deals, since you don't have to keep cap space or an exception to match. And Boban wasn't expensive, really. He was just too expensive for what the team needed.
    That was a different scenario, the Spurs needed capspace to sign Gasol.

There's never enough cap space. And if Bertans keeps knocking down 3's, and defending the rim the way he has been, he's going to be at least as sought after as Hedo was at his peak. If the Spurs are making a play at another big name next offseason, the amount Bertans could get under the Arenas Provision could still be tough to match, if some team gets him to sign an offer sheet early. If Gasol hadn't signed here, the Spurs would have had enough space to match for Boban. But they only get 3 days to match, and they had to wait to see what Gasol was going to do.

And don't they have to have the non-taxpayer MLE available to take advantage of the Arenas Provision? (They won't have Early Bird on Bertans.) The Spurs could still wind up making a deal before the deadline that would throw them into the tax.

I'm just saying - if Bertans plays as well as we're hoping, there's no guarantee that the Spurs won't be forced to let him get away.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could be wrong, but I thought that he would be an Early Bird player and possible to be matched using only a designated Early Bird Exception. They wouldn't have to save caproom or the mle for him.

Only hang up is if teams get scared off of an offer, the Early Bird Exception limits their own offer to him to a minimum two years at about the league average salary. So if Bertans wanted more, they might have to sign him to a one year at crap money to get his full bird rights to go over the cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-davis-bertans

Mike Monroe writing for bleacher report now..
    anyways, not that I am a fan of his or anything.. but this article on Bertans featured a lot of interviews about him, so it is a good one. The stuff is nothing new, it's been on interviews recently given by teammates and Pop, but he compiled in a nice article...
    Pop:

The poor guy had the two ACL (tears), back-to-back, basically, so he's been rehabbing for a couple of years,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said after he wowed the crowd at the open scrimmage. “It looks like he is healthy and is doing exactly what we thought he could do when we drafted him. He's been very, very good. “We've watched him play for several years now, so he's not a surprise, other than maybe he's a bit more athletic than we have been expecting. His speed and quickness are better than one might think than from watching film of him. The guys that have gone over to watch him have always been impressed with him. For people like myself, who have only seen him on film for the most part because he's been so injured, that was nice, a small surprise. But he's had a really good camp. He's done well.”
    Bertans himself:
    “On this team, you just have to take the role that comes to you. If I don’t get any touches, I don’t get any touches. The way the ball moves here, it’s easy to get the touches and get wide-open looks. Whatever Coach Pop gives me, I’m fine with that.”
    “I think it’s getting easier and easier, trying to get the feel for the system and moving around the court,” Bertans said. “I wasn’t used to being under the rim and in the paint so much. I’m just getting used to the system, that I have to be in the position where I have to be and then just find open spots on the court offensively.”
    Manu:
    Matty had a great career, with championships, played 10 years on one team,” said Ginobili, now the Spurs’ oldest player, at 39. “It’s not a bad comparison. For sure, [Bertans] has the potential to do more, because of his athleticism, because of his size, his quick release. He’s going to need a little time to adjust. “He’s going to play. Pop likes his game. Opponents are going to have to respect his shot.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans kinda reminds me of Andrei Gennadyevich Kirilenko... Just sayin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's never enough cap space. And if Bertans keeps knocking down 3's, and defending the rim the way he has been, he's going to be at least as sought after as Hedo was at his peak. If the Spurs are making a play at another big name next offseason, the amount Bertans could get under the Arenas Provision could still be tough to match, if some team gets him to sign an offer sheet early. If Gasol hadn't signed here, the Spurs would have had enough space to match for Boban. But they only get 3 days to match, and they had to wait to see what Gasol was going to do.

And don't they have to have the non-taxpayer MLE available to take advantage of the Arenas Provision? (They won't have Early Bird on Bertans.) The Spurs could still wind up making a deal before the deadline that would throw them into the tax.

I'm just saying - if Bertans plays as well as we're hoping, there's no guarantee that the Spurs won't be forced to let him get away.
    They don't need cap space to match a two-year deal. Had Boban been coming off a second season, the Spurs would've been able to keep him. No one is going to force the Spurs to get rid of Bertans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could be wrong, but I thought that he would be an Early Bird player and possible to be matched using only a designated Early Bird Exception. They wouldn't have to save caproom or the mle for him.

Only hang up is if teams get scared off of an offer, the Early Bird Exception limits their own offer to him to a minimum two years at about the league average salary. So if Bertans wanted more, they might have to sign him to a one year at crap money to get his full bird rights to go over the cap.
    That's assuming they don't have cap space, which they will in 2018 almost certainly. But if Bertans did want more, then he'd have to sign an offer sheet.

And here's where things do get messy. The new CBA is going to allow restricted free agency to take place during the moratorium, meaning the offer sheets will have to be matched before teams can actually sign other guys. This will indirectly take out scenarios where the Spurs use their space before essentially giving Bertans a bigger deal by allowing some team to make an offer that they (the Spurs) can't. We'll have to see how they handle the cap implications, but I could see the owners using this as some small way of limiting player movement.

The benefit is that poison pills are supposedly a thing of the past, so it's not all bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting, that makes it easier to resign and keep your guys (eliminating the poison pill aspect) but it increases the difficulty of forming a super team by arranging contracts in a specific way. And it is risky to let go rotation guys to go in pursuit of unknowns. Right?

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw Davis at the Miami game and he reminds me of KD in size and shooting
    style. Very smooth shooter, will be a asset to the second team. Just hope his
    knees hold up.....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw Davis at the Miami game and he reminds me of KD in size and shooting
    style. Very smooth shooter, will be a asset to the second team. Just hope his
    knees hold up.....
    He's got talent for sure. The problem is obviously his knees.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think hes starter potential. He's got a similar game to Klay Thompson on offense. Obviously no where near the defender Klay is but he's got something special about him, or as some would say, that it factor. Elite role player ceiling. Still very athletic despite the acl tears but man if he holds up he could be special.

Thread Information