Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think hes starter potential. He's got a similar game to Klay Thompson on offense. Obviously no where near the defender Klay is but he's got something special about him, or as some would say, that it factor. Elite role player ceiling. Still very athletic despite the acl tears but man if he holds up he could be special.
    If you mean by camping out on the 3 point line. Well that's where Klay has been very effective.

Klay is also pretty decent attacking the rim. I don't think Bertans has that kind of savvy yet. If he's more deliberate attacking the rim like Kyle Anderson, then he'll be much more effective. What I've seen is like he wants to use his athleticism to get to the ring. Not happening in the NBA.

Is he starter potential? Maybe, I like the configuration of Parker, Leonard, Bertans, Aldridge and Pau.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to note, but I am sure guys know, he has been a 4 every time we have seen him. I think that is where he has advantages too. His ballhandling is inadequate for a perimeter player but solid for big. There are just things that he's able to do bc he's a big. Played as a wing he would lose some advantages he has when he puts the ball on the floor and his perimeter defense exposed.

He needs help improving finishes in the paint, outside of a dunk, he won't be finishing inside. He has no floaters or hook shots, etc. Needs to add something for when they run him off the line. He's been dishing but that may not be there all the time.

To me it's very clear that he's so much better as a 4 for himself and opening opportunities for others that despite ppl wanting him as a SF, I doubt he's ever a 3 except garbage time lineups. And it's no matter bc a 4 is all he's played for Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unloaded the contents of my bowel when I saw him go into the lane and rise up for Statue of Liberty dunk a couple games back.. I think it was the opposite knee, but still he landed funny

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs help improving finishes in the paint, outside of a dunk, he won't be finishing inside. He has no floaters or hook shots, etc. Needs to add something for when they run him off the line. He's been dishing but that may not be there all the time.
    Eh,

He has a very good one-dribble pull-up. You're right that he's not a great finisher, in the paint, but he has a counter to being run off the line, especially if he's a four and is being run off by clumsier guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh,

He has a very good one-dribble pull-up. You're right that he's not a great finisher, in the paint, but he has a counter to being run off the line, especially if he's a four and is being run off by clumsier guys.
    He can only do the one dribble pull up over a hard close out (a fly by), but I have seen that hmmm about 20%, not the most common close out on him I have seen. They have closed out to him where they have given him no room to shoot many times, so he has to dribble drive. I have noticed very nice passing out of those situations myself, but outside of the dunk attempts nothing else has gone in. It's an area to develop for sure.

He was camped at the 3 in Europe and over 70% of his shots were from the 3 pt line, I think he just didn't develop some finishes in the paint bc it wasn't called for by his prior coaches. It goes right with him saying he's been surprised the system has him playing in the paint so much.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can only do the one dribble pull up over a hard close out (a fly by), but I have seen that hmmm about 20%, not the most common close out on him I have seen. They have closed out to him where they have given him no room to shoot many times, so he has to dribble drive. I have noticed very nice passing out of those situations myself, but outside of the dunk attempts nothing else has gone in. It's an area to develop for sure.

He was camped at the 3 in Europe and over 70% of his shots were from the 3 pt line, I think he just didn't develop some finishes in the paint bc it wasn't called for by his prior coaches. It goes right with him saying he's been surprised the system has him playing in the paint so much.
    There's consensus here that he can't finish in traffic. That's true and with his questionable knees he shouldn't be trying to do that.

I say, let him camp on the 3 and don't even bother to get leave the line and take the shot. I think 1-10 times it could possibly be blocked, but those are good odds.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude needs to put on more muscle so he can guard bigs. He's going to get pushed around a lot this year. He's going to need two more years to carve out a role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude needs to put on more muscle so he can guard bigs. He's going to get pushed around a lot this year. He's going to need two more years to carve out a role.
    I am hoping he plays this season, sink or swim.
    Have you seen Lee/Dedmon?
    Lee is not this impactful defensive player either and he's smaller. In fact Lee seems smaller than KA TBH. Bertans is notoriously taller than the 2. He truly is a legit 6'10"

I do worry about his knee. He has never played a season this long. Will he play 82 games? 60? Even that is around twice what he played in Europe in a single season I think and the NBA is more physical, so durability is a big question. But I think he needs to play bc the bench is so much better with him than without him, it's undeniable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    clearly you never saw diaw play

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am hoping he plays this season, sink or swim.
    Have you seen Lee/Dedmon?
    Lee is not this impactful defensive player either and he's smaller. In fact Lee seems smaller than KA TBH. Bertans is notoriously taller than the 2. He truly is a legit 6'10"

I do worry about his knee. He has never played a season this long. Will he play 82 games? 60? Even that is around twice what he played in Europe in a single season I think and the NBA is more physical, so durability is a big question. But I think he needs to play bc the bench is so much better with him than without him, it's undeniable.
    I went to the Houston game. He'll get minutes as a stretch 4, but he was pushed around on the block. He's a better athlete than I realized, seeing him in person. But painfully skinny, he will need to bulk up. Same with Murray, though Bertans is more NBA ready, but don't expect an all-star performance from Betrans, especially when teams guard him on the three.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I went to the Houston game. He'll get minutes as a stretch 4, but he was pushed around on the block. He's a better athlete than I realized, seeing him in person. But painfully skinny, he will need to bulk up. Same with Murray, though Bertans is more NBA ready, but don't expect an all-star performance from Betrans, especially when teams guard him on the three.
    I am not. I am actually more realistic about him than it would seem.
    Thanks for sharing your input. Much appreciated.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude is looking like a typical RC euro bust.

27 minutes and 2 rebounds. Continues to not even try and crash the boards despite being 6'10

He will have one of those Austin Daye hot games once a month and got OP will bump this but this dude is waaaaay to inconsistent. Let's hope OP doesn't make a Rudy Gay is OG thread...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His defense is horrible. Literally losing guys over and over on rotations and getting eaten alive by his man all night. Fans can't like what they've seen from Bertans and Murray. Forbes has been nice but this is lesser compe ion (though he won't draw toughest defenders) and White has shown flashes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't Bertans playing with his NT?

Haven't seen the games, but he may just be out there staying in shape and not trying to do anything stupid - maybe even at the staff's advice?

At least, hoping that's the case reading these comments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans needs to do something besides shoot. Not only does he look soft, he can't find ways to impact a game other than wander around the arc and start launching wayward missiles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude is getting ready for Euro. Nothing to be worried about.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't Bertans playing with his NT?

Haven't seen the games, but he may just be out there staying in shape and not trying to do anything stupid - maybe even at the staff's advice?

At least, hoping that's the case reading these comments.
    He shouldn't be out there at all if that's the way he's playing because there is no point to that. I find it absurd that the staff would be telling him to play like that.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I miss Bonner

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He shouldn't be out there at all if that's the way he's playing because there is no point to that. I find it absurd that the staff would be telling him to play like that.
    There's always objectives in SL or compe ion like it. It can be working on weaknesses, conditioning or rehab, working on sets and terminology or some combination of, so I take things with a grain of salt.

I'm not a big fan of people playing not to get hurt - usually ends badly. Hate to think he's not progressing, hoping he's just not showing his best or will look much better when he's allowed to play his role off of much better talent when it actually means something.

Mods ruined spurstalk!!!! Walter Donovan's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Bertans needs to do something besides shoot. Not only does he look soft, he can't find ways to impact a game other than wander around the arc and start launching wayward missiles.
    Needs to lift some weights too tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont get u guys...judging players based on SL...Bertans played pretty good last year...even played good defense...I think because he is a euro, ppl judge his defense harder by default... He has played good position defense last year. Moved feet well...contested shots really well...he had a couple rookie lapses that were due to him not being accustomed to player tendencies, but all that is fixed with experience

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans is a role player. He's a sharpshooter that plays off of stars and in return he provides great spacing for them. He can occasionally go by his man and playmake when the defender closes hard. His skillset works best on the first team. Not really the type of skillset that will dominate Summer League unless he just goes ape from deep.

He'll be fine. I'm more worried about Murray who's supposed to have the skillset to create for himself and others but has looked like dog against inferior compe ion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people always say (insert tall player) is a sub par rebounder? One, they're going up against people their size and two, you don't rebound with the top of your head, which is why length is generally more important than height.

Bertans is 6'10'' in shoes, with a 6'10''.25 wingspan. Murray is 6'5'' in shoes, with a 6'9.5'' wingspan. Anderson is 6'8.5'' in shoes, with a 7'2.75'' wingspan. That's one reason they're good rebounders and he's not. The other is, though they're all string beans, the difference is, they don't have to contend with bigs (generally, in the latter's case). He lacks both the strength to box most out and the length to corral the ball.

Also, the fact that he was the 42nd pick and is a legit NBA player already ensures he's not a bust.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude is looking like a typical RC euro bust.

27 minutes and 2 rebounds. Continues to not even try and crash the boards despite being 6'10

He will have one of those Austin Daye hot games once a month and got OP will bump this but this dude is waaaaay to inconsistent. Let's hope OP doesn't make a Rudy Gay is OG thread...
    Pinked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people always say (insert tall player) is a sub par rebounder? One, they're going up against people their size and two, you don't rebound with the top of your head, which is why length is generally more important than height.

Bertans is 6'10'' in shoes, with a 6'10''.25 wingspan. Murray is 6'5'' in shoes, with a 6'9.5'' wingspan. Anderson is 6'8.5'' in shoes, with a 7'2.75'' wingspan. That's one reason they're good rebounders and he's not. The other is, though they're all string beans, the difference is, they don't have to contend with bigs (generally, in the latter's case). He lacks both the strength to box most out and the length to corral the ball.

Also, the fact that he was the 42nd pick and is a legit NBA player already ensures he's not a bust.

Can Bertans get off the floor? Leaping ability and getting in position for rebounds can make up for lack of reach. I'm not sure what his vertical is rated at, but I've seen him try to tomahawk dunk a couple of times.

If he's got t-rex arms he needs to learn to position, and get stronger. Charles Barkley proved you can still rebound as a small big, you just have to know what you're doing out there. And Dennis Rodman, as much as I disliked parts of his game, knew how to get in position to rebound the ball. Bertans game is mostly that of a chucker right now. He's a 'B+' outside shooter, no post or true inside game to speak of, a 'C-' defender, and a 'D-' rebounder. He needs to work on his game if he's going to be anything beyond a situational rotation player.

Thread Information