Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also worth noting is that our Mexicans really killed us in this series. Urias was last night and Adrian Gonzalez can't beat out a throw if his bean3r life depended on it.

I see why Mexico only focuses on the unathletic game of povertyball. They simply can't play real sports

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Seriously why is chewing and spitting sunflower seeds such a big part of fatball? Trying to watch my Cubs make history, but every time they pan to David Roberts he's spitting and it's ing disgusting tbh.

I know there's very little strategy involved in fatball and 'managers' don't do but god damn the least you could do is not gross viewers out.
    Not true, you sit and decide:::do I make Urias go out there in a Game 4 when I'm up 2-1? Well of course you do. Result: You get your doors blown off.
    Not true, you sit and decide:::do I send Maeda out there instead of CK on short rest and locked at 2-2? Well of course you do. Result: You get your doors blown off.
    Now you're sittin' there on the charter headed for Chicago. You stupid , you.

Now? You don't have to think about one solitary thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not true, you sit and decide:::do I make Urias go out there in a Game 4 when I'm up 2-1? Well of course you do. Result: You get your doors blown off.
    Not true, you sit and decide:::do I send Maeda out there instead of CK on short rest and locked at 2-2? Well of course you do. Result: You get your doors blown off.
    Now you're sittin' there on the charter headed for Chicago. You stupid , you.

Now? You don't have to think about one solitary thing.
    Don't bother, Cub. FKLA thinks set plays with cute diagrams="deep" strategy. I've shat on the povertyball crew numerous times in this regard, and they still can't it through their thick heads.

Basketball, in fact, is the shallowest sport strategy wise out of all the major sports, but since there's "plays" and "sets" with fancy names like HORNS, Triangle, Motion, Box-1, etc, people think it's "deep." Fun fact is that a child could construct an NBA roster, and analytics have fully proven that NBA head coaches don't really matter. It's talent.

Meanwhile, Ivy league MBA grads head up baseball FOs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weight increases strength though. What does spitting all day accomplish other than flooding the dugout?

That was just a great play by Baez too. Don't go on another racist rant bc you're salty about my Cubs winning brah.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weight increases strength though. What does spitting all day accomplish other than flooding the dugout?

That was just a great play by Baez too. Don't go on another racist rant bc you're salty about my Cubs winning brah.
    Mexicans aren't a "race." They're a nationality who are at sports. And yes, I'm salty. Not at the Cubs, but at that Gonzalez whose slow ass has cost the Dodgers this series.

So, um, weight increases strength, but foobaw players are allowed to be unhealthily morbidly obese, while guys in baseball who would only be linebacker size are "non athletic" fatties according to you?

Makes sense.

And yes, I think the Ortizes and such need to lose weight. Speed always kills in the post-season and being able to beat out throws and rob hits is a huge factor. I said in the MLB forum that the Cubs speed compared to this slow as Dodgers' team ( in 40 year old Chase Utley is leading off on most nights) will pay dividends, and it has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How the is choosing a starter or reliever some deep coaching strategy? Fatball is so devoid of it, that fans try to pass anything off as strategy.

Blaming Roberts for the players not performing is like blaming a basketball coach because a guy didn't hit his shots. At some point the onus falls on the player performing.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    How the is choosing a starter or reliever some deep coaching strategy? Fatball is so devoid of it, that fans try to pass anything off as strategy.

Blaming Roberts for the players not performing is like blaming a basketball coach because a guy didn't hit his shots. At some point the onus falls on the player performing.
    Urias was not ready. That is a calculation by Roberts that failed.

Just because Roberts doesn't need two hours to make that choice doesn't detract from it's crucial nature.

Once Urias failed then it was in bent upon Roberts to stop the hemorrhage by sending CK back out there to salvage the 3 game home stand tonite. Again he failed to make the correct decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mexicans aren't a "race." They're a nationality who are at sports. And yes, I'm salty. Not at the Cubs, but at that Gonzalez whose slow ass has cost the Dodgers this series.

So, um, weight increases strength, but foobaw players are allowed to be unhealthily morbidly obese, while guys in baseball who would only be linebacker size are "non athletic" fatties according to you?

Makes sense.

And yes, I think the Ortizes and such need to lose weight. Speed always kills in the post-season and being able to beat out throws and rob hits is a huge factor. I said in the MLB forum that the Cubs speed compared to this slow as Dodgers' team ( in 40 year old Chase Utley is leading off on most nights) will pay dividends, and it has.
    Was he also when he got Kershaw the run he needed to get the dub?

Trench play is its own category. When we see fat players at various positions like we do in fatball then you'll have a point. We are getting off topic though. I don't see what this has to do with Roberts spending more time spitting than 'managing'.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You still don't know the difference between strategy and tactics.

Strategy is long term planning, i.e. roster building, managing 5 to 6 feeder teams, and then compiling gigabytes of stats on hitters and pitchers, who each require a different plan of attack and approach. As I've told you before, a hitter will sometimes go back years into the memory banks to remember what pitch and where a pitcher threw him in a specific situation.

Basketball "strategy" and "tactics" aren't as effective as they look. Euroteams often play a "deeper" and more "tactical" game than American teams, and still lose by 40 because they just can't deal with the athleticism and size. Same thing in the NBA. The more athletic (whether that athleticism is through quickness or strength or a combination of both) team wins 90% of the time. I'm not discounting skills of course, but for the sake of the argument, I'm assuming skills are equal. Assume two teams are equally skilled. Team A is more athletic, while Team B is more "tactical." Team A wins 90% of the time in basketball.

This is why headcoaching isn't really much of importance in the NBA as perceived. Basketball is simple. Pop won 4 les on one play. The Warriors have dominated the league on one play. Of course you can have different variations of a play, but just because there's diagrams and Zach Lowe breaks things down with videos doesn't necessarily make the game deep.

Pop admitted as much. He doesn't even watch video on other teams. Maybe he was being cheeky, but I believe him. He said we know what they're going to do, they know what we're going to do, I just want to do what we do perfectly. Meaning execution is much more important than being tactically complex. I agree. I forget the football team who dominated with a sweep. Coach even said, "They knew it was coming, but couldn't stop it."

Is basketball more tactically dynamic than baseball during play? Yeah. But not as much as perceived. And execution of tactics is much harder in baseball. But I'm talking strategy, and the off-field challenge of building a great baseball team is ten fold more difficult than building a great NBA team. This is why "tanking" for picks doesn't do anything in baseball, while basketball teams have built dynasties from the practice.

NBA formula=get superstar, some decent role players, and you're a playoff team.

Meanwhile, the Angels can't figure out how to build a decent team around Mike Trout, who is Lebron-esque in his metrics.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 10-21-2016 at 02:21 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was he also when he got Kershaw the run he needed to get the dub?

Trench play is its own category. When we see fat players at various positions like we do in fatball then you'll have a point. We are getting off topic though. I don't see what this has to do with Roberts spending more time spitting than 'managing'.
    Most baseball managing is done pre-game. In game, the catcher and pitcher actually manage the game. A catcher has a scout book taped to his arm with data on every hitter and very much "quarterbacks" the pitcher on what to throw. The pitcher can of course audible and is sometimes the QB himself. But that's where the tactical battle is. I understand there's no fun diagrams, so it doesn't count for goal sport fans like yourself who need everything to be overt, but you need to know an encyclopedia of to effectively attack a lineup in the modern game.

Like I said, if it were so easy, you should be able to tell me how to pitch to Trout just from a swing video. Then tell me what do you throw him with a man on and one out? Or a man on and no outs when you're ahead in the count 0-1? Now how about if the count is even at 1-1? How does your approach change?

Tell me how are the Cubs attacking Corey Seager?

I think you're under the impression that pro baseball is like Little League, where they're just "throwing hard" and another guy is "swinging hard."

When 1 run can win a game, you can bet there is a specific gameplan for everything going on.

I also want to make clear that I don't think baseball is some super deep sport, no sports are, and what wins in sports is athleticism/skill/execution/nerve. Fans and analysts typically overrate the complexity of [insert sport here].

(Real) Football is easily the most complex, but even in football, it still comes down more to those four key elements I mentioned than the playbook.

I would say roster building is the most important strategic decision a sports team makes.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 10-21-2016 at 01:56 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's amazing to me that the "world" series will once again be played by teams from the same continent!

Statistically remarkable.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then I saw a starter munching on tacos while he sits his ass down after not doing anything in the whole defensive possession. Just standing around in the left field..no thanks

To be fair, pitches nowadys are so much faster...relievers are consistently throwing 95+

The modern athlete imo...some fat in the 60s was probably happy at throwing a 45
    Your baseball takes are as sh***y as your basketball takes, tbh.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's amazing to me that the "world" series will once again be played by teams from the same continent!

Statistically remarkable.
    America is the world; didn't you know? When the LA Galaxy wins the MLS Cup, I call them the world champions.

Thread Information