Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This morning Jason Garrett of Arriosti Sports Therapy shared an interesting story regarding Aldridge on Mike Taylor's radio show. He said Tim and Lamarcus were working out together (doing one on one drills) and Lamarcus was exhausted. LA stopped playing and said something like "Man, I don't know how you do it". Tim said, "If you want to be playing when you're 39, you gotta work. Let's go." LaMarcus said "Nah, I'm done" and walked off the court.

We all know that Tim was/is a gym rat and one of the greatest of all time but I think this reflects poorly on Aldridge. Sometimes the body doesn't follow the mind and you end up being a blowhard. I wonder if he really he wants to be great or if he's willing to work for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we can all agree that he's no Tim Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regardless if this is 100% true, which in context probably isn't, it's not fair to hold everyone to Tim Duncan's work ethic standards.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this your new schtick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this your new schtick?
    Yes. The schtick where I refer to Manu as Manure and the bane of the Spurs existence was taken already. I have to choose a player to blame for the Spurs downfall and sadly TP and Manu were quickly snapped up. , some people in here criticize both Manu and Leonard for the Spurs being pretenders and lottery bound. Can you believe that?

The only thing that would have made my thread better is if what I heard wasn't on the public airwaves or readily available by podcast. Then you could doubt it ever happened. Damn it. I'll try harder next time.
    Last edited by tmtcsc; 10-19-2016 at 09:23 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This morning Jason Garrett of Arriosti Sports Therapy shared an interesting story regarding Aldridge on Mike Taylor's radio show. He said Tim and Lamarcus were working out together (doing one on one drills) and Lamarcus was exhausted. LA stopped playing and said something like "Man, I don't know how you do it". Tim said, "If you want to be playing when you're 39, you gotta work. Let's go." LaMarcus said "Nah, I'm done" and walked off the court.

We all know that Tim was/is a gym rat and one of the greatest of all time but I think this reflects poorly on Aldridge. Sometimes the body doesn't follow the mind and you end up being a blowhard. I wonder if he really he wants to be great or if he's willing to work for it.
    You can tell by the way he came into camp.

It's the second straight year he came into camp out of shape. He looks doughy, once again. Last year, he came into camp out of shape and looked like he was playing in sand at the beginning of the year. To his credit, he got leaner as the season progressed. Even if he got leaner as the season progressed, it's not a good look if your " leader" shows no signs of dedication in the off-season.

This story further backs up my theory that Spurs' can't be happy with his work ethic.

I've been pointing this out to people on twitter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. The schtick where I refer to Manu as Manure and the bane of the Spurs existence was taken already.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regardless if this is 100% true, which in context probably isn't, it's not fair to hold everyone to Tim Duncan's work ethic standards.
    Exactly.

People are like GASP! he's not as driven or committed as Timmy! Oh noes!

News flash: no one is as driven or committed as Timmy. Everyone will pale in comparison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When a 39 year old man on 1 leg outworks you, and you want to be the face of the franchise, you got problems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly.

News flash: no one is as driven or committed as Timmy. Everyone will pale in comparison.
    Some are just as committed to being great as Tim was. Kawhi Leonard puts in the work and the stories have been well-chronicled. Let's not go overboard with Tim. He was the GOAT for PF's and one of the best ever at any position, but he doesn't own "work ethic". Kobe Bryant's work ethic was legendary.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When a 39 year old man on 1 leg outworks you, and you want to be the face of the franchise, you got problems.
    If Spurs don't trade him this year, his value will decline even more next year. As he will essentially be a one year rental because he's more than likely opting out and signing a max deal for 37 million per season ( thanks Chinook).

If Spurs hang on to him, will it be smart to give the max to 33/34 year old LaMarcus -- who proved to have poor work ethic in his two first off-seasons with the team?

Whether they admit it or not, the Spurs should be shopping him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly.

It's inexcusable to not have work ethic when you get paid the max to be the " leader" of a top 5 team with championship aspirations.

A poor work ethic is not the sign of a winner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea because Tim Duncan is totally the type to let the media know about training sessions with a teammate. This seems totally legit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the max for LMA would be like 37 per in 2018. So that's one thing. The other thing is that no one should care about LMA's value going down, because the Spurs would gain that value by having him on their roster this season. It's like lamenting that your car isn't as valuable as it was when you bought it two years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Harlem was accused of driving a shtick when he said the same thing as early as last pre-season ...He is clearly not completely out of shape, but certainly not as toned as Kawhi or sculpted in the Tim/Manu mold..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other thing is that no one should care about LMA's value going down, because the Spurs would gain that value by having him on their roster this season. It's like lamenting that your car isn't as valuable as it was when you bought it two years ago.
    Spurs won't get as much value in a deal if they wait til next year. He'll be a one year rental to a lot of teams before he opts out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea because Tim Duncan is totally the type to let the media know about training sessions with a teammate. This seems totally legit
    Right, because media, trainers (the guy who told the story) have never "seen" Tim Duncan work out. I guess Tim's legendary work ethic is all hearsay because no one has ever witnessed it. Man, that was a stupid response on your part and not well thought out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Harlem was accused of driving a shtick when he said the same thing as early as last pre-season ...He is clearly not completely out of shape, but certainly not as toned as Kawhi or sculpted in the Tim/Manu mold..
    Don't leave out Patty.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I live by the motto: don't listen to anything Jason Garrett says.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs won't get as much value in a deal if they wait til next year. He'll be a one year rental to a lot of teams before he opts out.
    The good news is that the Spurs have total control of the situation right now. UNLESS he becomes a cancer to the team and starts to have a negative impact, I think the Spurs will not look to trade him. They will definitely listen to offers and would probably move anyone not named Kawhi Leonard if a good offer comes their way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right, because media, trainers (the guy who told the story) have never "seen" Tim Duncan work out. I guess Tim's legendary work ethic is all hearsay because no one has ever witnessed it. Man, that was a stupid response on your part and not well thought out.
    Whatever you want to think. The story is BS and you know it. Media throwing at the wall and hoping something sticks per par.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You've been a good poster here for a long time, and you may have the best avatar in ST history. But don't make such a big deal out of one story. Maybe LMA wanted to look fresh for his HEB commercial that afternoon. Maybe he wanted to get away before Tim insisted that he come over to play video games... again. Maybe he had an erection lasting more than 4 hours, and he had to notify a physician.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Pop would like LMA to do all the things Tim Duncan did. And there's no doubt that Tim's dedication and work ethic were a part of his greatness. But there's a gap between that and saying that the Spurs are looking to trade him. Because whoever they could get in return would not be as good as LMA is, and they almost certainly wouldn't have Timmy's work either.

LMA is a very good player, compared to most of the others in the league. If the Spurs are looking for greatness, they're going to have to draft it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but that's not a bad thing. They'll get value out of actually having him on the roster instead. They're not losing anything, really. They're just changing the ratio of future value to present value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever you want to think. The story is BS and you know it. Media throwing at the wall and hoping something sticks per par.
    BS and I know it? I believe the story. Why would the guy lie? He's not in the media, he's a person who has access to the players because he helps with training and rehab. He's a guest on the sports talk show and witnessed it all himself. He doesn't have an agenda against LaMarcus. It was a side-story / commentary during the guy's segment.

We all know Tim worked his ass off and did so more than most players on the team. "Most players" don't talk about wanting to be the face of a franchise or "the man", and if they do, they earn it by putting in the work. LA is one of the best PF's in the league (regardless of work ethic) but if he is becoming a distraction and cancer to the team because of his selfish desires, he needs to be moved.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but that's not a bad thing. They'll get value out of actually having him on the roster instead. They're not losing anything, really. They're just changing the ratio of future value to present value.
    It is a problem if they don't intend on moving forward with him after next year. They may be forced to let him go for nothing, or settle for much less value than they can get this year.

Thread Information