Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is a problem if they don't intend on moving forward with him after next year. They may be forced to let him go for nothing, or settle for much less value than they can get this year.
    No, it's really not. They probably don't intend to go forward with Pau either after 2017. I doubt they're too concerned with moving him for assets in 2018 right now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it's really not. They probably don't intend to go forward with Pau either after 2017. I doubt they're too concerned with moving him for assets in 2018 right now.
    With Aldridge though you can net back assets to help right now and the future. They'd be foolish to not try to maximize their returns when they can -- ONLY IF they intend on NOT moving forward w/ Aldridge after his current deal.

Pau doesn't have value that's remotely close to Aldridge right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Aldridge though you can net back assets to help right now and the future. They'd be foolish to not try to maximize their returns when they can -- ONLY IF they intend on NOT moving forward w/ Aldridge after his current deal. Pau doesn't have value that's remotely close to Aldridge right now.
    I think you're overlooking the obvious here. The Spurs are contenders with Aldridge. That's why they signed him. They didn't sign him because they wanted him on the team in 2018-2019.So long as the Spurs are still a top team in the league, they are getting full value out of Aldridge. He's not some bond sitting a vault somewhere depreciating. He's a tool they're getting great use out of. It's like I said with the car: Of course it loses trade-value as time goes by, but you are using value by driving it. If the Spurs have two 67-win seasons and then he walks, that's almost certainly better than what they were going to get in a trade for him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you're overlooking the obvious here. The Spurs are contenders with Aldridge. That's why they signed him. They didn't sign him because they wanted him on the team in 2018-2019.So long as the Spurs are still a top team in the league, they are getting full value out of Aldridge. He's not some bond sitting a vault somewhere depreciating. He's a tool they're getting great use out of. It's like I said with the car: Of course it loses trade-value as time goes by, but you are using value by driving it. If the Spurs have two 67-win seasons and then he walks, that's almost certainly better than what they were going to get in a trade for him.
    Yes, I know why they signed him at the time.

They signed him to be part of a championship team and bridge over the Duncan era to the Kawhi era more smoothly and still contend ( that's obvious).

However, time can change things and perceptions they may have can change. Seeing him come into camp for the second straight year looking doughy and out of shape has to irk PATFO to a degree-- even though they'd never admit it publicly. Reading books about successful individuals, leaders, business owners makes me believe LaMarcus' actions, or lack-thereof, in the off-season contradicts why they signed him. Add in the fact that since the Spurs signed him, the Warriors have had internal improvements from all of their core and separated themselves significantly from the rest of the West and that was before adding Durant. Many variables have changed since summer of 15'.

But yes, Spurs still have value with him on the roster by being a top 5 team in the league with him, however they still have a 2nd tier ceiling. IMO

And I'm sure they can remain a top 5- 7 team in the league and have a 2nd tier ceiling without him if the right deal materializes -- all while getting an asset or a pick to help expedite the growth the Spurs need to gain ground on the one tier above them.

Time changes things.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 10-19-2016 at 11:16 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but if he is becoming a distraction and cancer to the team because of his selfish desires, he needs to be moved.

IF he's doing that? He needs to be moved. The good news is, if he is becoming a distraction and a cancer, the Spurs won't hesitate to move him.

I don't see any proof that he's becoming a cancer. Not from some 30 second discussion, led by a Boston Celtics homer reporter. Not from some overheard conversation in a restaurant. Not from some story about him being the first to quit a one-on-one session with Tim. And not from a bunch of speculation on ST.

One thing is for sure: if LMA has a beef with the Spurs, he hasn't taken it public like Jax. And if Pop has a beef with LMA, he hasn't made any sarcastic remarks in interviews about it, the way he has about some other players in the past - not even joking comments, like he does sometimes. So I'm thinking that the only people distracted by this are the ones outside the Spurs locker room.

But, yeah. If he's a cancer and a distraction, the Spurs won't hesitate to move him, even if it means getting less value than they would like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, I know why they signed him at the time.

They signed him to be part of a championship team and bridge over the Duncan era to the Kawhi era more smoothly and still contend ( that's obvious).
    And Year One was a success. So if they just keep doing that, they are getting full value out of him.

However, time can change things and perceptions they may have can change. Seeing him come into camp for the second straight year looking doughy and out of shape has to irk PATFO to a degree-- even though they'd never admit it publicly. Reading books about successful individuals, leaders, business owners makes me believe LaMarcus' actions, or lack-thereof, in the off-season contradicts why they signed him.
    I think you're mapping your projections of him onto them. There is zero indication that LMA's conditioning irks them. You're talking about a team that gave Diaw an extra few days away from the team to pretty much just chill out. A team that just signed a player who's open about not working out. Aldridge has spent his career being a heavy-load player and producing like an All-Star. I haven't seen him look skinny in a decade. I doubt Pop was expecting him to be something he's never been, especially considering how little they are paying him.

Add in the fact that since the Spurs signed him, the Warriors have had internal improvements from all of their core and separated themselves significantly from the rest of the West and that was before adding Durant. Many variables have changed since summer of 15'.
    Not really. Their response was to sign Gasol. So it's clear they aren't packing it in.

But yes, Spurs still have value with him on the roster by being a top 5 team in the league with him, however they still have a 2nd tier ceiling. IMO
    And you can have your opinion, but that doesn't mean much. Even if the Spurs can't be the Warriors in a fully healthy compe ion, only a Chicken Little would say they can't be Cleveland. So any little bit that the Warriors lose through injury or strife opens the door for the Spurs. A championship* much better than "assets".

And I'm sure they can remain a top 5- 7 team in the league and have a 2nd tier ceiling without him if the right deal materializes -- all while getting an asset or a pick to help expedite the growth the Spurs need to gain ground on the one tier above them.
    The Spurs going from potentially the second-best team in the league to the seventh-best is a huge drop-off, especially for that being "the right deal". You don't waste everyone's time with that (meaning the Spurs players under contract, not posters on ST). You have a top-seven player in his prime. You don't take a step back just because he'll be less valuable if you want to move him the next year.

Time changes things.
    Yes, but a 67-win season, a new HoFer and your best player showing immense internal improvement doesn't warrant any change.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...Seeing him come into camp for the second straight year looking doughy and out of shape has to irk PATFO to a degree-- even though they'd never admit it publicly. Reading books about successful individuals, leaders, business owners makes me believe LaMarcus' actions, or lack-thereof, in the off-season contradicts why they signed him. Add in the fact that since the Spurs signed him, the Warriors have had internal improvements from all of their core and separated themselves significantly from the rest of the West and that was before adding Durant. Many variables have changed since summer of 15'.
    1) You seem to have made a lot of heavy assumptions out of this ty rumors tbh. Looking from outside, as a fan, I still can’t think of any believable scenario where LMA would want out of the Spurs already or PATFO being mad at him for just some xtra pounds. To me the dude looks the same! Also the fact that he left a lot of dough on the table leaving Portland to get closer to home, to his family and play for a better franchise it just makes no sense at all for him wanting out.

2) Neither LaMarcus nor the Spurs can do anything about what the Worriers can or can't do but compete and contend. As of now the Spurs are heavy contenders, top 2 team in the West (per NBA GMs survey) and that was the main reason to sign Aldridge, to stay compe ive in the foreseeable future.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doughy ...

Some gripping analysis here.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this your new schtick?
    Yes. The schtick where I refer to Manu as Manure and the bane of the Spurs existence was taken already. I have to choose a player to blame for the Spurs downfall and sadly TP and Manu were quickly snapped up. , some people in here criticize both Manu and Leonard for the Spurs being pretenders and lottery bound. Can you believe that?

The only thing that would have made my thread better is if what I heard wasn't on the public airwaves or readily available by podcast. Then you could doubt it ever happened. Damn it. I'll try harder next time.
    TheGreatNot. Owned. Obliterated. Belittled. Lets all laugh at his pathetic photoshop skills and constant attempts at relevance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TheGreatNot. Owned. Obliterated. Belittled. Lets all laugh at his pathetic photoshop skills and constant attempts at relevance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Tim had been working that hard on Amy's she wouldn't have bailed. Just sayin'.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly.

People are like GASP! he's not as driven or committed as Timmy! Oh noes!

News flash: no one is as driven or committed as Timmy. Everyone will pale in comparison.
    Not even Manu?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs won't get as much value in a deal if they wait til next year. He'll be a one year rental to a lot of teams before he opts out.
    Let him opt out then. Free's up cap space and that's valuable. He's worth his value on the court at his current deal. By this logic, if the spurs aren't happy with him, they won't sign him and let him walk. If they sign him, then all of this isn't true.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let him opt out then. Free's up cap space and that's valuable. He's worth his value on the court at his current deal. By this logic, if the spurs aren't happy with him, they won't sign him and let him walk. If they sign him, then all of this isn't true.
    The space won't be as valuable as you're implying. 22 million in 18' will fetch a role player, not a star. Sure you can combine Parkers and Aldridges' money and fetch a star, but the chances to signing one is very small anyway. It's a long shot and something you shouldn't be willing to bank on.

They'll never admit it, but if they've been disappointed in regards to work ethic, or his character after a year, then they sure won't be willing to pay him 37 million per season with a max deal when he's 33/34 years old. If that is the current case (and I don't know this-- pure speculation), then it makes more sense to get returns now and trade for a package of players who signed contracts before the cap e plus an asset(s) in the near future. There's more value with players on contracts pre cap e per dollar. In 18' the price for the same talent will double. Having a player like Crowder, Knight, Butler, or Bradley under contract for their market value of 15' will optimize cap space to add talent as soon as next off-season when Gasol may opt out and Manus' contract is off the books. Plus they'd add an asset in a 1st round pick to help expedite the growth towards the Warriors.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 10-20-2016 at 12:19 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. The schtick where I refer to Manu as Manure and the bane of the Spurs existence was taken already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For same strange reason we never heard rumors questioning Kawhi's work ethic. I wonder why.

After all, if media spread false rumors they could fly about other Spurs' players...not just LMA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see why that guy from Arosti would lie. He's been involved with the Spurs for some time now and has shared stories about Spurs players injuries and that kind of stuff. There is nothing wrong with him walking off the court depending on how long that workout went. It could have been a long workout and maybe Aldridge was out of it by that time. Maybe it wasn't that long. We don't really know. I don't think everyone on the team has to be a gym rat like Duncan and Leonard. However, for some reason when I see Aldridge, the words "gym rat" don't come to mind. Not seeing he looks lazy. I think he's the type of guy who does just enough. That's not a bad thing, but if you left Portland because you wanted to be the "man" and already complaining (as reports say) about Leonard being the "man" here, then you should out work a 39 year old Duncan. You should work harder than Leonard in the gym if you wanna be the "man."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs don't trade him this year, his value will decline even more next year. As he will essentially be a one year rental because he's more than likely opting out and signing a max deal for 37 million per season ( thanks Chinook).

If Spurs hang on to him, will it be smart to give the max to 33/34 year old LaMarcus -- who proved to have poor work ethic in his two first off-seasons with the team?

Whether they admit it or not, the Spurs should be shopping him.
    Spurs won't get as much value in a deal if they wait til next year. He'll be a one year rental to a lot of teams before he opts out.

It is a problem if they don't intend on moving forward with him after next year. They may be forced to let him go for nothing, or settle for much less value than they can get this year.

With Aldridge though you can net back assets to help right now and the future. They'd be foolish to not try to maximize their returns when they can -- ONLY IF they intend on NOT moving forward w/ Aldridge after his current deal.

If only they traded him a year ago...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs don't trade him this year, his value will decline even more next year. As he will essentially be a one year rental because he's more than likely opting out and signing a max deal for 37 million per season ( thanks Chinook).

If Spurs hang on to him, will it be smart to give the max to 33/34 year old LaMarcus -- who proved to have poor work ethic in his two first off-seasons with the team?

Whether they admit it or not, the Spurs should be shopping him.

Truth bombs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only they traded him a year ago...
    props, nostradamus

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol I didn't want to believe M4T was right, but he was. LMA doesn't have it and it would've been better to drop his ass last year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a pity, I want him to do well. He's got good size and talent and good defensively. Unfortunately he doesn't have it at udinally. He doesn't want to bang down low and he seems to be sensitive to criticism. Seems to be fixable but he has to be a team player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It might also have something to do with his existing heart condition. Better for LMA to retire or just go somewhere where he can relax/or pad his stats

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a pity, I want him to do well. He's got good size and talent and good defensively. Unfortunately he doesn't have it at udinally. He doesn't want to bang down low and he seems to be sensitive to criticism. Seems to be fixable but he has to be a team player.
    He doesn't want to earn it. He wants to win but he wants it the easy way.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't want to earn it. He wants to win but he wants it the easy way.
    Oh hi lebron, durant, wade, etc etc etc... you can win or you can win with integrity. Something thata majority of this era doesnt understand. #cheatcode

Thread Information