My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had some bad luck with hard drives recently a 4 TB HGST died after 8 months, then while that was being rma'd a 3 TB seagate external died that was 15 months old

do you guys pay more for western digital black drives or NAS drives to store your data?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had some bad luck with hard drives recently a 4 TB HGST died after 8 months, then while that was being rma'd a 3 TB seagate external died that was 15 months old

do you guys pay more for western digital black drives or NAS drives to store your data?
    Yeah, I stick w/ WD Caviar Black tbh.. My previous was a Seagate model (tried to save 20 bucks), it crapped out in 2 years.. This one is great 4 years later.

Idk if it's still the case, but I know in 2012 people were recommending me stay away from any HDD bigger than 2 TB because they have a high failure rate. , none of them last forever, maybe invest in a big ass SSD?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I used to buy WD Caviar Black exclusively for years until I had one die in less than a year and another in a year and a half back around 2012-13. I'm not going to waste the money on them again. They were great 10 years ago (I'm still running one that's 8 years old) but I don't trust them any more.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I use only Seagates and never had a problem.

Still... You might not want to use the largest capacities available. Use no higher than half the available size at the time. The ones pushing the edge of technology will be more likely to fail.

I do have two Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSDs and a 1/2 TB Samsung 950 PRO. These drives last I looked were over $300 each.

SSD's speed the system up nicely. Boot times in a snap, unless you have a slow BIOS boot.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had some seagate issues, so I stay away from them in general. I have had several 3TB WD green drives for 2-4 years just for storage.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I've never had a non-portable HD die on me before. WD drives between 1-7 years.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I've never had a non-portable HD die on me before. WD drives between 1-7 years.
    I had a Western Digital die about 15 years ago, the computer was about 3 years old. Put in a newer larger drive and updated to ME.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bigger the drive the less time it is out makes it much less reliable on all brands

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have had great luck with external hard drives.

overall I have bought 3. The first one was a WD 500gb one that I bought back in like 2009 and it is still alive today but the housing failed. I tried to rescue it and made a mess of it. epic fail

Then I replaced it with a 750gb portable seagate that it's still kicking ass since 2010.

Bought another portable external 3TB hard drive this year which I'm using every time I turn my PS3 on basically.

Mini hard drives and portable are best in my opinion. The ones with cases on tend to have part failures which was what happened to me with the first buy.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the 2 times i have had a drive die I was able to freeze it, then get the data off of it, so it was not a total loss. one of them started clicking really bad, and freezing it stopped it long enough to get everything off it. i almost lost my mp3 collection started in 1998

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the 2 times i have had a drive die I was able to freeze it, then get the data off of it, so it was not a total loss. one of them started clicking really bad, and freezing it stopped it long enough to get everything off it. i almost lost my mp3 collection started in 1998
    It only used to take 2 days to have enough Limewired songs for a CD

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samsung ftw

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    My 1TB Seagate external has been holding up pretty well for about 4 years now, hopefully it stays that way because I have a load of stuff on it tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I backup my data on the regular, and I preemptively "fail" hard drives by image/replace.

Just keep an image of your drive so you can quickly replace it if needed. If you had 10 drives that might be a problem but with 1 or two, you should be able to have a backup.

Thread Information