Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On a side note.. just fired up Company of Heroes again.. such a fun game
    Dude clean your inbox out if you want me to reply to your PMs man. But to answer your question, I wouldn't use your 680 for a PhysX card. I have seen people test that kind of setup before with a strong main gpu and a significantly weaker card for PhysX and it often seems to bring framerates down. Besides, Arma III is straight CPU bound as far as I know. I think the only way you're improving performance on that is going with a newer cpu with higher IPC and higher clockspeed. So maybe an i5-7600k or i7-7700k under water at 1.3V-1.35V. Borderlands 2 is old as so I doubt a single 1060 would limit it at 1080p even on a 144 Hz panel, so I doubt even having a 1060 as a PhysX card would do much there. I think your 680 as a standalone PhysX card would just waste power without any benefit whatsoever, especially since so few games even use PhysX any more. Just sell that or keep it as a backup in case you ever have to RMA your 1060. Also man, that's a pretty killer deal you got on it. If I didn't already have a 970 I'd be all over the 1060 6GB cards, they look like the best price to performance cards since maybe the GTX 660.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL I finally saw where that's from

good choice in monitor also, that 34inch acer predator is a beasts of a screen...comes out of the box 100mhz overclocked for u...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude clean your inbox out if you want me to reply to your PMs man. But to answer your question, I wouldn't use your 680 for a PhysX card. I have seen people test that kind of setup before with a strong main gpu and a significantly weaker card for PhysX and it often seems to bring framerates down. Besides, Arma III is straight CPU bound as far as I know. I think the only way you're improving performance on that is going with a newer cpu with higher IPC and higher clockspeed. So maybe an i5-7600k or i7-7700k under water at 1.3V-1.35V. Borderlands 2 is old as so I doubt a single 1060 would limit it at 1080p even on a 144 Hz panel, so I doubt even having a 1060 as a PhysX card would do much there. I think your 680 as a standalone PhysX card would just waste power without any benefit whatsoever, especially since so few games even use PhysX any more. Just sell that or keep it as a backup in case you ever have to RMA your 1060. Also man, that's a pretty killer deal you got on it. If I didn't already have a 970 I'd be all over the 1060 6GB cards, they look like the best price to performance cards since maybe the GTX 660.
    I always forget that saves outgoing messages..

I have been reading into people's experience with that exact setup.. GTX 1060 w/ a 680 as a dedicated PhysX card.. and like I thought, it's only a handful of games that benefit, but the FPS increase is pretty significant.. Borderlands 2 and the Batman series are the only 2 I've seen people post before and after benchmarks of, so like you said it would just be a waste of power in most cases..

I think I'm just gonna build an i3 budget build w/ this extra 680 and make a mini gaming cafe in my man cave for guests to have their own spot to play when they come over tbh

And yeah, a 1060 for 220 bucks was too good to pass up, it's already a great price/performance option at 250.00, let alone 30 bucks cheaper. Plus, it seems like the perfect card for 1080p, (and a decent option for 1440p too on certain games) which I'll be at for a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always forget that saves outgoing messages..

I have been reading into people's experience with that exact setup.. GTX 1060 w/ a 680 as a dedicated PhysX card.. and like I thought, it's only a handful of games that benefit, but the FPS increase is pretty significant.. Borderlands 2 and the Batman series are the only 2 I've seen people post before and after benchmarks of, so like you said it would just be a waste of power in most cases..

I think I'm just gonna build an i3 budget build w/ this extra 680 and make a mini gaming cafe in my man cave for guests to have their own spot to play when they come over tbh

And yeah, a 1060 for 220 bucks was too good to pass up, it's already a great price/performance option at 250.00, let alone 30 bucks cheaper. Plus, it seems like the perfect card for 1080p, (and a decent option for 1440p too on certain games) which I'll be at for a while.
    If you're talking about a mini gaming PC, check this build out:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/cryhav0...d/#view=ZmGf7P

I haven't updated the prices lately, you could probably find it for under $900 especially today and during holiday sales. If you drop to a 1060, you're looking at $650-700. That case is incredibly small, can still house a full ATX power supply and full sized video card, and only weighs about 6 pounds. Your total system weight is under 20 pounds with this build.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Liking the 1060.. It overclocks like a champ.. I've been able to push it to 2050MHz so far with plenty of headroom.. temps at a frosty 56°

It's also crazy to see how bad that piece of 680 was performing on GTA V.. The game is ing buttery smooth, it feels much different

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Liking the 1060.. It overclocks like a champ.. I've been able to push it to 2050MHz so far with plenty of headroom.. temps at a frosty 56°

It's also crazy to see how bad that piece of 680 was performing on GTA V.. The game is ing buttery smooth, it feels much different
    Jump on ing Witcher 3 man, especially the Blood & Wine DLC. Or Rise of the Tomb Raider. Both of those will look incredible on a GTX 1060.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jump on ing Witcher 3 man, especially the Blood & Wine DLC. Or Rise of the Tomb Raider. Both of those will look incredible on a GTX 1060.
    Yup.. They have the Poverty Edition right? I'm installing GTA V Redux now..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup.. They have the Poverty Edition right? I'm installing GTA V Redux now..
    Witcher 3 doesn't have any DRM and is easily worth the $50 for the game of the year edition. It's probably the best looking game out there and there is legitimately about 400 hours of content in it. It's easily the best RPG since Skyrim. Much better than Dragon Age Inquisition, Fallout 4, or Dark Souls 3 (all of which I thought were amazing games). I don't think the storyline nor music is quite as good as Skyrim, but it's the kind of game no self respecting member of the master race cannot have 100+ hours in. Make sure to turn on HBAO+, it really makes the lighting look great.
    https://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher...e_year_edition

But if you want to pirate it:
    https://www.skidrowreloaded.com/the-...on-proper-gog/

Rise of the Tomb Raider got cracked a few months ago. The Siberia levels look unbelievable on my 970, and your is about 15% more powerful.
    https://www.skidrowreloaded.com/rise...raider-cpy-pc/
    Last edited by baseline bum; 12-01-2016 at 01:19 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Witcher 3 looks and runs amazing

The jump to open world is so much better too

Divinity Original Sin II is next

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Witcher 3 looks and runs amazing

The jump to open world is so much better too

Divinity Original Sin II is next
    Do you think Witcher 3 is easier than 2? Also, learn how to play gwent man, it's a pretty fun minigame (well, until you complete your decks with all the god level cards and it becomes really easy). It looks stupid the first time you play it early on in the game but it ends up being a pretty interesting part of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont know man, I suck at both so its hard to tell.

But the Steam controller is win on this game.. Gyroscopic crossbow control and the dodge functions mapped to the grips.. I wish I didn't have to completely remap the controller into a keyboard though cause the mouse aiming is so much nicer.. This game features simultaneous controller/m&k input but when you're using a controller then move the mouse it causes a 15 FPS drop every time

I've also had issues getting used to x and y for attacks, may have to use rb and rt like DS
    Last edited by DJR210; 12-03-2016 at 01:23 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, there is an upcoming single slot GTX 1070, but it looks like only the s get it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10926/...-graphics-card

GALAX Shows Off Single-Slot GeForce GTX 1070 Graphics Card
    by Anton Shilov on December 20, 2016 6:00 PM EST

GALAX has developed a GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card with an ultra-slim one slot wide cooling system. The industry’s first single-slot GeForce GTX 1070 is understood to be released in China in early 2017, but it is unknown whether the video card will ever make it outside of the country.

Single-slot gaming graphics adapters for high-performance cards are not a common occurrence, especially as most AIB partners now run dual slot for anything 75W for over. After developers of GPUs for years have developed dual-slot designs for their coolers, the vast majority of motherboards have enough space to install at least one single slot graphics card. Nonetheless, there are systems equipped with extra add-in-boards (audio, SSD, additional SATA or Thunderbolt 3 controllers, etc.) that require slim single-slot components as there is simply not enough space inside. Meanwhile, it is not easy to find high-performance single-slot graphics cards: even some low-profile boards feature doublewide radiators. Companies like AMD and NVIDIA release professional graphics cards with slim coolers (e.g., Quadro M4000, Radeon Pro WX7100 and so on), but such products are not intended for general consumers because of high prices and some other peculiarities. By contrast, the forthcoming GeForce GTX 1070 from GALAX is a high-end consumer product with a single-slot cooling system.

The upcoming GALAX GeForce GTX 1070 uses a copper radiator with very thin fins and a metallic cover. Copper quickly absorbs heat, which is why it is used to make small form-factor coolers (including those for servers). Meanwhile, to maximize cooling potential of the whole system, GALAX uses a blower-type fan that generates very high air pressure by rotating at a very high speed. Such fans inevitably generate a lot of noise, but that is a tradeoff between dimensions and performance. Copper heatsinks are typically heavy too, as well as pricier than regular GPU heatsinks.

So far, GALAX has only demonstrated the graphics card at an event in China (and clearly labelled it GTX 1070 for anyone wondering) and has not revealed its frequencies or other peculiarities. Since NVIDIA’s partners are not allowed to downclock GPUs, it is highly likely that the card will run at reference 1506/1683 MHz (base/boost) clock rates. As for connectivity, the board has three connectors: a DVI, a DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 2.0.

GALAX belongs to Palit Microsystems, one of the world’s largest makers of video cards. From time to time Palit’s brands release unique NVIDIA-based graphics adapters that have features not available on competing solutions. Usually, such AIBs are only sold in China, but at times they make it to the U.S. and Europe under various trademarks.

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    ..and after having played w/ the Steam controller with different first person shooters for about 45 hours or so, it's clearly the better, more accurate, highly customizable option vs peasant controllers for FPS

Two more W's

I would rather spend 45 hours in one of Hitlers ovens alongside a decomposing Jew than spend that amount of time playing an FPS with a ing controller. You may need to turn in your MasterRace card, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would rather spend 45 hours in one of Hitlers ovens alongside a decomposing Jew than spend that amount of time playing an FPS with a ing controller. You may need to turn in your MasterRace card, tbh
    I would only consider using a Steam controller for a non-competetive, single player FPS. It's great for Borderlands 2, Fallout 4, Dying Light. Wouldn't use a PS4/Xbox controller either way, which was the point of the OP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huge win for the Master Race

Nintendo

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-the-cemu-...t-a-few-hours/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huge loss though too though with Mass Effect Andromeda: EA says an i7-4790 + GTX 1060 will only run the game at 30 fps at 1080p high settings. That's pretty awful considering my GTX 970 is about 10-15% weaker than a 1060 and can play Witcher 3 at 30 fps on 4k medium.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/mass-eff...f53085265=1#pc

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    PCfats are reduced to bragging about using their expensive gaming rigs to play the last-gen version of a Nintendo game. How is that a win?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PCfats are reduced to bragging about using their expensive gaming rigs to play the last-gen version of a Nintendo game. How is that a win?
    wasn't aware that it was last gen.. Still worth checking out though cause you couldn't gift me a Nintendo Switch

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huge loss though too though with Mass Effect Andromeda: EA says an i7-4790 + GTX 1060 will only run the game at 30 fps at 1080p high settings. That's pretty awful considering my GTX 970 is about 10-15% weaker than a 1060 and can play Witcher 3 at 30 fps on 4k medium.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/mass-eff...f53085265=1#pc
    yeah I saw that.. It's on Frostbite which BF1 runs great on, so I think they ed up somewhere when writing those specs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn my DJR took a double L right there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn my DJR took a double L right there.
    Stay in your lane, Kingdom Hearts 2.8

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stay in your lane, Kingdom Hearts 2.8
    That's telling me, master race. pls play me

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    wasn't aware that it was last gen.. Still worth checking out though cause you couldn't gift me a Nintendo Switch
    Cemu is a Wii U emulator, so it's definitely not playing the Switch version of the game

I'm not thrilled about the Switch, but I'd still rather spend $300 on that than thousands on computer parts just to play console games on emulators, barely optimized console ports, and indie games that are typically also available on consoles. PC gaming is one of the biggest scams going, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cemu is a Wii U emulator, so it's definitely not playing the Switch version of the game

I'm not thrilled about the Switch, but I'd still rather spend $300 on that than thousands on computer parts just to play console games on emulators, barely optimized console ports, and indie games that are typically also available on consoles. PC gaming is one of the biggest scams going, tbh.
    The Switch is a more than $400 console considering you have to pay $70 for a decent controller, another $25 for 64 GB microSD card, and then $10 for a screen protector (since the dock supposedly scratches the out of the screen). LOL $405 for something as powerful as a ten year old PS3. LOL Nintendo nickel and diming their customers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Switch is a more than $400 console considering you have to pay $70 for a decent controller, another $25 for 64 GB microSD card, and then $10 for a screen protector (since the dock supposedly scratches the out of the screen). LOL $405 for something as powerful as a ten year old PS3. LOL Nintendo nickel and diming their customers.
    Make that 400+400 when your comes with dead pixels and screen burns.

Their best advice is not to play near cellphones and laptops.

Mother ers.

Thread Information