Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh I didn't see this but Isaiah cousins got waived. Spurs had him in a few workouts. I really like him in college and he's a combo guard. I wouldn't be surprised to see spurs make move for him D league that is. He's got great work ethic. Gym rat. Him and buddy hields were said to be in the gym all the time. One can hope. Much rather have him than anyone else on the list. He's a solid defender too. I really think the Kings flubbed here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have in their inactive list for the opening night game: Bryn Forbes and Danny Green.
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/20...night-rosters/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have in their inactive list for the opening night game: Bryn Forbes and Danny Green.
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/20...night-rosters/
    Let's make this happen, Cap'n...

I am so very ready.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's make this happen, Cap'n...

I am so very ready.
    I was surprised to see they left Forbes in the inactive list with his incredible shooting.

I foresee a battle between Simmons and Dijon coming up for this season... and TBH I think Dijon is up for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kidding aside, I think we have to buy that Pop has been hopeful about him all this time. I remember Pop using the specific words "hopeful", plus they have given him uncharacteristic leash to make mistakes. I noticed that last season already with how much leash Pop gave him, whereas Anderson in contrast was: "one mistake you are out". I think the strict leash worked wonders for Anderson and helped him improve. Without that who knows how he would have turned out, he cannot afford to take his attention away from one second.

Anyways, they have been trying to deal with his "mental blocks" and other issues but appear to be hopeful all this time that maybe what he has is indeed mental. At some point, there is not going to be more assurances that they can give him, so either it's a mental thing or he's really not that talented. I think Pop wants to find out.
    I hope that Pop can recons ute Simmons. But what kind of bewilders me is that, as I recall, Pop touted Simmons' court vision and passing early on, and he really hasn't shown that kind of awareness. He forces the same plays on offense and commits the same errors on defense - mostly errors of over-commitment on both sides of the ball. Failing to show any appreciable progress toward resolving those issues does indicate his fundamental problem is mental. But he must be a mental midget to be incapable of grasping fundamentals that are, doubtless, preached to him every practice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was surprised to see they left Forbes in the inactive list with his incredible shooting.

I foresee a battle between Simmons and Dijon coming up for this season... and TBH I think Dijon is up for it.
    Damn right. Simmons is a cul-de-sac, with nowhere to go. Murray can do things that Simmons can't do already, he just needs some of Pop's Ol' Fashion Fisherman's Seasoning, with Bay leaves.

I make many a soup with that base... Usually a winner. After so many beers and tails and whatnots.

Think I'm going to watch Hillbilly's In A Haunted House and laugh at the 60's white people...

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He's got that swag that Simmons is missing or you might say confidence. He's the type of kid that'd be a lone bright spot in a loss tomorrow imo. But we'll see. Might not even play. Depends on Simmons and how much we are losing by.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope that Pop can recons ute Simmons. But what kind of bewilders me is that, as I recall, Pop touted Simmons' court vision and passing early on, and he really hasn't shown that kind of awareness. He forces the same plays on offense and commits the same errors on defense - mostly errors of over-commitment on both sides of the ball. Failing to show any appreciable progress toward resolving those issues does indicate his fundamental problem is mental. But he must be a mental midget to be incapable of grasping fundamentals that are, doubtless, preached to him every practice.

It's always good to remember that in pre-season, we're only seeing them for 5-6 minute stretches, usually playing with several guys who won't make the roster. The Spurs' staff has been watching him in the gym every day.

I think Simmons would kick ass in the D-League, and put up some big numbers. Obviously he has to be able to do it at the next level. But the point is, he's at a different level from those guys. I'm still reserving judgment until I see him in regular season games, with regular season teammates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's always good to remember that in pre-season, we're only seeing them for 5-6 minute stretches, usually playing with several guys who won't make the roster. The Spurs' staff has been watching him in the gym every day.

I think Simmons would kick ass in the D-League, and put up some big numbers. Obviously he has to be able to do it at the next level. But the point is, he's at a different level from those guys. I'm still reserving judgment until I see him in regular season games, with regular season teammates.
    Yes, PATFO obviously see much, much more of players, and in many more combinations for longer stretches than we basketball savants on ST. So perhaps Simmons will recons ute like a Sea Monkey and become a real rotation contributor this season. I will have hope until the guy... Well, I'm just more skeptical than I was a year ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am surprised that Kawhistorm hasn't brought up the fact that his guy, Gary Payton II, was waived...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He hasn't though. He averaged something like 15 pts and a whole lot of TO. /sigh and many of those baskets were a lot of Anderson-->Simmons alley oops and transition baskets. Believe me, I watched. I think he has improved his handles, he was much worse, but not enough for as ball dominant as he wants to be.

Anyways, if I were coaching him, I'd tell him to get teammates involved more and to play with his crew. He plays with some pretty unselfish dudes. The bench moves the ball better without Simmons. He has forced shots too much and gotten in trouble that way.

It's the kind of thing, where one is wondering if he's been told to push the envelope or if he truly cannot grasp what is being told to him, like sasaint is wondering. Not everyone can learn, that is why guys have ceilings and are not stars. The question with him is if he can play a role. Even Anderson has had to change his game, a heck of a whole lot more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He hasn't though. He averaged something like 15 pts and a whole lot of TO. /sigh and many of those baskets were a lot of Anderson-->Simmons alley oops and transition baskets. Believe me, I watched. I think he has improved his handles, he was much worse, but not enough for as ball dominant as he wants to be.

Anyways, if I were coaching him, I'd tell him to get teammates involved more and to play with his crew. He plays with some pretty unselfish dudes. The bench moves the ball better without Simmons. He has forced shots too much and gotten in trouble that way.

It's the kind of thing, where one is wondering if he's been told to push the envelope or if he truly cannot grasp what is being told to him, like sasaint is wondering. Not everyone can learn, that is why guys have ceilings and are not stars. The question with him is if he can play a role. Even Anderson has had to change his game, a heck of a whole lot more.
    Simmons will be a chapter in the Spur's history book, long forgotten, long before he will be remembered.

Old boy's destined to go away... Dust in the wind. All we are, except for a few. Time to go, Simms. Nothing, but love, but no remembrance either. Sorry. No better than Lloyd Daniels, in the annals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Careful! Last year Simmons only played 4 games in the D-League. But the year before, he and Kyle both played a lot of games in Austin. Simmons averaged 3.1 TOV per 36 minutes. Kyle averaged 3.0 TOV per 36 minutes. Simmons shot .398 from 3P, Kyle shot .354 from 3P. Simmons dished 3.9 AST per 36 minutes, and Kyle had 4.3 AST per 36 minutes (and he was a POINT-forward). Anderson had a .459 2P%, and Simmons had a .523 2P%.

You can't have it both ways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons will be a chapter in the Spur's history book, long forgotten, long before he will be remembered.

I never claimed he was going to get his number retired. Just that management has its reasons for giving him a roster spot vs. dumping him for some young project.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never claimed he was going to get his number retired. Just that management has its reasons for giving him a roster spot vs. dumping him for some young project.
    Weird response. Did I mention any of that? #'s retired? I don't think so... Maybe I should go back over my history.
    Nope... didn't find any of that.

'Splain yo'self, brotha.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I am surprised that Kawhistorm hasn't brought up the fact that his guy, Gary Payton II, was waived...
    I haven't been on NBA twitter this afternoon so I'm not up on the wavier wire.

In any case, with Leprosy/Forbes being signed & Murray being drafted....there is probably no room for a 6'3" guard.

I could only see PATFO going after him if they want to ship out Patty & promote Leprosy to being Porker's primary backup. In that case, GPIII could be the 3rd PG like CoJo.

If it was up to me, I would package Patty/Simmons for a backup wing: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gr7b8nv

Hollinger's Analysis: +33 wins

The Kings are unlikely to agree to an extension with Ben McLemore," revealed Rotoworld. The report added, "The deadline is Oct. 31, but it's not a secret that McLemore has been on the trade block for more than the past year. The Kings signed Arron Afflalo to be their starting shooting guard and drafted Malachi Richardson, so a move away from Sacramento would probably be the best thing for McLemore. If the Kings are able to move him, don't expect them to get much in return.

It is believed throughout NBA circles that McLemore's best playing days would come in a different uniform; his name has been linked to much trade chatter the past few years.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 10-24-2016 at 09:17 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RJ Hunter, got waived by Boston, that's an interesting name. Not saying I've watched much of the Celtics in the recent past.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't been on NBA twitter this afternoon so I'm not up on the wavier wire.

If it was up to me, I would package Patty/Simmons for a backup wing: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gr7b8nv

+33 ??? I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it for myself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Careful! Last year Simmons only played 4 games in the D-League. But the year before, he and Kyle both played a lot of games in Austin. Simmons averaged 3.1 TOV per 36 minutes. Kyle averaged 3.0 TOV per 36 minutes. Simmons shot .398 from 3P, Kyle shot .354 from 3P. Simmons dished 3.9 AST per 36 minutes, and Kyle had 4.3 AST per 36 minutes (and he was a POINT-forward). Anderson had a .459 2P%, and Simmons had a .523 2P%.

You can't have it both ways.
    Indeed... but Anderson went through phases where he would TO the ball out of a post up, it was not ballhandling so much as him struggling with the "forward" post up part of his game that Pop wanted him to work on (which is still a development project I will admit). Sure, he had the occasional travel and the overambitious Manu or Diaw like pass, but a lot of his mistakes were out of learning to post up -- an area that is still probably raw in his game as he's tall and lanky.

Simmons TO were ballhandling for the most part, and passing to ppl that were covered. The same mistakes we still see. Believe me I watched. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it. Anyways, seeing as Anderson is not turning the ball over at the same rate as he was then and has played well within a role, I am not concerned. I suppose if Pop posted him up a lot more mistakes and TO would creep up and I think we have seen him either be blocked or had the ball stolen on occasion out of the post.

Simmons TO were different. A lot of poor ballhandling and passing to ppl who were not open. Same thing we still see.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    +33 ??? I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it for myself.
    I guess a backup wing is the key to unlocking Hollinger's formula.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird response. Did I mention any of that? #'s retired? I don't think so... Maybe I should go back over my history.

Of course he's not going to be remembered as a great player. The Spurs have to fill a roster. They're all flawed, near the end of the bench. I'd just been commenting that the Spurs have their reasons, I'm sure, for giving him a roster spot over some younger project. Nothing more or less than that.

Every now and then, one of those guys like Simmons amounts to more. Do you remember Anthony Parker? He didn't amount to his first few years in the league. He went off to play for Maccabi, and came back as a very solid guard. Not a star, but solid. Simmons got a late start, but I could see him becoming a guy you want on your bench still. Probably not, but no less likely than most of the guys who are getting waived right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wow... what an eye opener.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mitch McGary was waived...Surprising imo.

Really decent rollguy, able defender and rebounder. I wonder if any team will sign him after his suspension

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess a backup wing is the key to unlocking Hollinger's formula.
    Spurs +19 wins. We'd be a lock to win 70 games....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course he's not going to be remembered as a great player. The Spurs have to fill a roster. They're all flawed, near the end of the bench. I'd just been commenting that the Spurs have their reasons, I'm sure, for giving him a roster spot over some younger project. Nothing more or less than that.

Every now and then, one of those guys like Simmons amounts to more. Do you remember Anthony Parker? He didn't amount to his first few years in the league. He went off to play for Maccabi, and came back as a very solid guard. Not a star, but solid. Simmons got a late start, but I could see him becoming a guy you want on your bench still. Probably not, but no less likely than most of the guys who are getting waived right now.
    I completely get where you're coming from. I remember A. Parker. I watched him closely. I've been watching Simmons closely also. Simmons is on the fast track to Nowheresville.

There is no comment, post, or argument that will change this fundamental fact. If I'm wrong, I will sing, on video, if I have to about it. I don't feel uncomfortable, either way.

And I know I'm not wrong... btw, so yay.

Thread Information