Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which makes Bertans even more of an enigma. Two blown ACLs and another knee surgery, and he has still be able to develop his game and looks like he is ready to keep up with the speed of the NBA.

I know that not every knee injury is created equal...but I feel like some players also don't put in the work to rehab and rebuild that others do.
    On first sight it seems like Bertans has more than just raw athetism, which might have helped him to still be a basketball player.
    Unlike Livio who seems to have nothing more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which makes Bertans even more of an enigma. Two blown ACLs and another knee surgery, and he has still be able to develop his game and looks like he is ready to keep up with the speed of the NBA.

I know that not every knee injury is created equal...but I feel like some players also don't put in the work to rehab and rebuild that others do.

I wasn't there, and I don't have any evidence. But looking at his overall body development, it doesn't look like he's done a lot of strength training in the years since the Spurs drafted him. It's easy to believe he didn't rehab as hard as Bertans. He was so young, and I kind of wonder if he had someone pushing him the way he would have if he was actually in the Spurs' organization.

I don't know if they can still salvage him if he stays in Austin. But maybe getting the contract will give him the financial stability to stay and try.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blowing out his knee could've had something to do with it.
    I knew about the knee injury, but I didn't think it would have changed his trajectory that much. I guess it very well could have. I also don't know if it was a rehab thing. Maybe he didn't do everything he could have done in rehab to get close to where he was before the injury?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I wasn't there, and I don't have any evidence. But looking at his overall body development, it doesn't look like he's done a lot of strength training in the years since the Spurs drafted him. It's easy to believe he didn't rehab as hard as Bertans. He was so young, and I kind of wonder if he had someone pushing him the way he would have if he was actually in the Spurs' organization.

I don't know if they can still salvage him if he stays in Austin. But maybe getting the contract will give him the financial stability to stay and try.
    Don't know a thing about Livio's rehab, but everything I've read in American and Latvian media is Bertans rehabbed incredibly hard both times. And it shows. Dude was hungry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He had one good game. He's been living off it ever since. You gotta give him some credit, though. If you're a ty basketball player and you're gonna have the game of your life...
    He had more than one good game. He had a bunch of great games in that week leading up to the Hoops Summit, shutting down Embiid and Towns. And that summer with the French U-20 team, he was playing really well before he tore his knee up. Livo's decline is very much physical. He's still there mentally. When you have "one good game", you rarely do anything beyond what you usually physically do. You just show better IQ and skills.

Hope he's in Austin, but , I hope Richards is there too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basquetplus basketball news site has confirmed Garino will play in the D-League for Austin.

Here is the link: http://basquetplus.com/articulo/su-i...s-austin-spurs

In an interview done yesterday, he said a couple of things regarding the Spurs and his idea for the future, here is a translation of what he said:

"It was what i expected (Spurs keeping Forbes and Lapro and waiving him), my intuition was that Nico was getting the nod so i prepare for that situation. I was told Friday, before the game, i had a talk with Pop and he told me that they were going to waive me, but wanted me to stay within the organisation with San Antonio affiliate Austin from the D-League. To say the truth they treated me very well, because i was given a choice, because my contract said i HAD to stay (In Austin, if cut) but the Spurs were generous enough to let me know that they would release me if i had a better offer"

"If there were any offer i would evaluate them, but Europe not sure if it comes from Europe, because i am very hardheaded guy and i want to stay here. I am decided, because i know the right way is to go to Austin. If an NBA team reaches i would think about it, but i will always take into account my evolution as a player, without worrying about the financial part"

"My individual growth in Austin will be great because the Spurs will help me a lot, they´ll design a work plan for me, so i can improve those aspects of the game that have been evident in the preseason (that i have to improve). It will be a key experience, and will help me to play extended minutes"

"Staying here also has some advantages... (Then he goes about the chance of being called up to an NBA team)"
    "I am looking forward to it, compromised. Very anxious to start this new stage in my career, it will be different. I believe it will help me to keep improving, and that´s my goal"

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for Garino to stay at Austin Powers.

Thread Information