Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Lee has always been a great regular season stat-padder, though..won't get excited about him until he provides some goods in May, tbh(although obviously he's better suited vs. bench players, so he could continue thriving)
    tbf he's usually injured by May

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Lee played center for the Knicks 8 years ago they said...
    And played it last year during his resurgence. And played it almost all pre-season. And played it last night. But nah, let's act like a game against a team that plays Cousins at PF is a testament to Lee's ability to play the four...

Don't get me wrong. Lee and Dedmon played together very well, and I totally hope that continues. But nothing so far dispels the notion that Lee is a center. Just like Tim and Tiago were centers. And when they couldn't get away with having two centers, they didn't. Same thing will happen here. And that's when Bertans time will begin.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And played it last year during his resurgence. And played it almost all pre-season. And played it last night. But nah, let's act like a game against a team that plays Cousins at PF is a testament to Lee's ability to play the four...

Don't get me wrong. Lee and Dedmon played together very well, and I totally hope that continues. But nothing so far dispels the notion that Lee is a center. Just like Tim and Tiago were centers. And when they couldn't get away with having two centers, they didn't. Same thing will happen here. And that's when Bertans time will begin.
    Cute back pedaling.

Truth is, Lees played PF majority of his career.

Spurs brought him in to be the back up PF, but truth is, posts are posts and wings are wings -- C/PF or SF/SG they're interchangeable. As long as they matchup on defense, and as long as their skill-sets blend well with the others around them, then everything's' peachy.

I don't know why people claim that there's a certain offensive skillset of a position. Players come in all shapes and sizes, as well as all different strengths weaknesses and skill sets. It's about who they can defend, and how well their strengths can blend with the players around them.

Ive said numerous times that Dedmon/Lee can work together just fine. And I elaborated countless times on why that is.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 10-28-2016 at 08:46 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Calling someone a center and someone a PF between Lee and Dedmon is pointless. On offense Lee plays more of a PF role and Dedmon plays a roll to the basket and around the basket garbage man. On defense Dedmon plays the more talented big, particularly if he's agile and can go out on the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was super dubious about Lee's signing and am happy to see him contribute early.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cute back pedaling.
    Nah, if you recall, I did argue that they could play together if they had chemistry but that it wasn't ideal. I'm just annoyed at the ST patented move of acting like one game proves anything either way. It's not any more legit to cite this good game than it was to cite the bad preseason games.

Truth is, Lees played PF majority of his career.
    And Tim was a PF for most of his. Didn't stop him from being a center once his PF skills left him.

Spurs brought him in to be the back up PF.
    That's completely arbitrary. Dedmon plays more PF than Lee does.

And even if Lee had a skill set of a center -- theres no certain offensive skill set of a position.
    Yes, there is. That's why Blair was an undersized center rather that a two-guard with a center's game.

Players come in all shapes and sizes, as well as all different strengths weaknesses and skill sets.
    This is true, but your extension is completely arbitrary. Because by that logic, we have no idea what position Lee has been playing. He could've just been a 6-9 PG this whole time. Sure, he has the size of a forward and game of a center, but that's all fluid, right?

Ive said numerous times that they can work togethet just fine and elaborated countless times on why that is.
    And I didn't disagree with you in the sense that they CAN work -- we both agreed that SAG's comments were extreme. But I think ignoring that they can't ALWAYS work just like Duncan and Splitter didn't ALWAYS work is where we differ. They won't be able to get away with it all the time. And in fact, last night, Lee was benched when the Kings stopped playing three centers and played Tolliver more minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lee > West. All that matters all we could afford tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, if you recall, I did argue that they could play together if they had chemistry but that it wasn't ideal. I'm just annoyed at the ST patented move of acting like one game proves anything either way. It's not any more legit to cite this good game than it was to cite the bad preseason games.
    Okay, I'll bump this at the end of every month then. Just to keep reminding you and your daughter SAG.

And Tim was a PF for most of his. Didn't stop him from being a center once his PF skills left him.
    As I said before, in the part you didn't include ( of course). Posts are posts, wings are wings. Bigs or posts are interchangeable and SF/ SGs are interchangeable. There's a way two rollers can work together and still provide spacing and there's a way a roller and a spread the floor shooting big can work together. There's not just one way for bigs to work together offensively. Fan boys love labels though to define a player, they'll yell and scream, " but but Lee's a center". Well for one, it doesn't matter.. labels are pointless, bigs are bigs, wings are wings. Secondly, even if labels were relevant, Lee has been labeled a PF majority of his career.

That's completely arbitrary. Dedmon plays more PF than Lee does.
    Now you're being ridiculous. Dedmon closed the game in what you would call the center position next to Aldridge. Not that it matters, as long as they matched up well defensively and as long as his skill-set fits well w/ the players around him -- that's what matters.

Yes, there is. That's why Blair was an undersized center rather that a two-guard with a center's game.
    Once again, you're stretching what I say so far out to the point to where you're making absolutely no sense. What I said was posts are interchangeable, and wings are interchangeable -- they're separate.

This is true, but your extension is completely arbitrary. Because by that logic, we have no idea what position Lee has been playing. He could've just been a 6-9 PG this whole time. Sure, he has the size of a forward and game of a center, but that's all fluid, right?
    Again, you're stretching things so far out it makes me believe you're either trolling or you're just ridiculous. Lee wouldn't fit as a creator or shooter on the perimeter as a wing or "PG". He's a rolling big offensively, that's where his strengths are. And even w/ Dedmon, his skill-set can still work just fine. Centers/ Power Forwards are bigs or posts -- they're interchangeable. That does not mean I'm saying they can play out on the wing as a PG, SG or SF. Get that through your thick skull.

My whole argument was centered around how Dedmon and Lee CAN work together w/ their skill-sets. It had nothing to do with what position they are labeled as. But so many, including your daughter SAG, continued, " but Lee is a center."

Have a fun all day on here. I got to get to work.

Money isn't made posting all day about the Spurs.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 10-28-2016 at 09:35 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lee and Dedmon look great, no doubt. The scrappiness, talent and and cohesion the 2nd unit has shown this early is extremely promising. Manu really sets the tone and that unit seems to match his frenetic intensity. I'm shocked by the level of chemistry in game two. Only 80 more to go to get the starters dialed in.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lee and Dedmon look great, no doubt. The scrappiness, talent and and cohesion the 2nd unit has shown this early is extremely promising. Manu really sets the tone and that unit seems to match his frenetic intensity. I'm shocked by the level of chemistry in game two. Only 80 more to go to get the starters dialed in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, I'll bump this at the end of every month then. Just to keep reminding you and your daughter SAG.
    SAGirl and I are the same age, IIRC. Anyway, the point is that it's petty to bump threads to try to laugh at people for takes, or takes that are wrong or takes that look wrong from certain perspectives. There's no reason to act high and mighty about a damned game. And I said this in 2013 when people were bumping Green threads to laugh at haters when I spent the whole season defending Danny stronger than SAG defends Anderson. It's like, just chill and enjoy the season without trying to keep tabs on what other people say in idle chat.

As I said before, in the part you didn't include ( of course).
    You know damned well you added that in an edit. I'd've included that part and replied to it had it been there.

Posts are posts, wings are wings. Bigs or posts are interchangeable and SF/ SGs are interchangeable. There's a way two rollers can work together and still provide spacing and there's a way a roller and a spread the floor shooting big can work together. There's not just one way for bigs to work together offensively. Fan boys love labels though to define a player, they'll yell and scream, " but but Lee's a center". Well for one, it doesn't matter.. labels are pointless, bigs are bigs, wings are wings. Secondly, even if labels were relevant, Lee has been labeled a PF majority of his career.
    There's nothing particularly wrong with this explanation. And I don't disagree that they can play together against a lot of teams. But just as there are multiple ways to employ bigs on offense, there are different ways to defend them. You take away the roll-man, you clog the lane. If you don't allow the pass, you can't get the big-to-big assists that make a combo like Splitter/Duncan work. And none of this mentions that Lee's mobility defensively is atrocious and Dedmon's mobility is somewhat wasted if he has to play on the perimeter rather than protecting the paint.

Now you're being ridiculous. Dedmon closed the game in what you would call the center position next to Aldridge. Not that it matters, as long as they matched up well defensively and as long as his skill-set fits well w/ the players around him -- that's what matters.
    Yes, but when they played together, there's no way you can call Lee the PF. Dedmon guarded PFs, provided weakside help and spaced the floor. Lee's only argument is that he was shorter.

Once again, you're stretching what I say so far out to the point to where you're making absolutely no sense. What I said was posts are interchangeable, and wings are interchangeable -- they're separate.
    No you didn't. You edited your post afterward because you realized what you really had said was silly. I know you didn't mean it that way, but the way you meant it was arbitrary. You had no other justification for it other than it just being what you believed. And that's fine except your beliefs aren't evidence. In so far as positions mean anything, they are directly related to your skill-set and on-court actions. Can you call Lebron a PG? In a lot of sets you can. Can you call Rudy Gay a PG? No, not really.

Again, you're stretching things so far out it makes me believe you're either trolling or you're just ridiculous. Lee wouldn't fit as a creator or shooter on the perimeter as a wing or "PG". He's a rolling big offensively, that's where his strengths are. And even w/ Dedmon, his skill-set can still work just fine. Centers/ Power Forwards are bigs or posts -- they're interchangeable. That does not mean I'm saying they can play out on the wing as a PG, SG or SF. Get that through your thick skull.
    First, once again stop acting like I was responding to your edited post. That's so intellectually dishonest that it's sickening. Secondly, no, there isn't the clear distinction between positions like you want there to be. PFs are not all posts, hence why we're trying to figure out what Anderson and Bertans are. And it's not like wings are guards don't have their own crossovers and separatists. A player's ability to move between your groups is determined by their skill-set. Kyle could never be a dominant roll-man. But he could probably do all right in the dunker role. And yet, he has been on the wing for the past few games after spending most of the preseason at PF. And of course, he was a PG in college. Wade actually played at PF (in the dunker role) for many Miami plays in 2014. He also played PG and even some wing, though not as much as his position would suggest since they started Lewis.

The actual point is that you came out with a thread trying to brag about something that only one person was arguing with you about. And you're claiming victory (and being obnoxious about it) TWO games into the season. Do you want to be right about this so badly?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    david lee a center... can't remember who's take that was

I don't think he's a center, but I know for a damned fact that he's spent a fair amount of time in his career playing the C. You can argue or laugh all you want to, but that doesn't change the facts. David West had spent almost 100% of his playing minutes at PF, but when he came here he got stuck playing center. Lee had spent quite a bit of time at center, so I'm one of the people who was worried that Pop would use him the same way he did West. Whether Lee is a center or not, he could sure as be put into that role.

After watching Dedmon in the pre-season, I was feeling pretty sure that Pop would put Lee in the middle this year. After the way Dedmon has stepped up these first couple of games, that's not going to happen. But, for the record, Lee has the skills to play the C. He just doesn't have the height.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [B][URL="http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49524"]

No you didn't. You edited your post afterward because you realized what you really had said was silly. I know you didn't mean it that way, but the way you meant it was arbitrary. You had no other justification for it other than it just being what you believed. And that's fine except your beliefs aren't evidence. In so far as positions mean anything, they are directly related to your skill-set and on-court actions. Can you call Lebron a PG? In a lot of sets you can. Can you call Rudy Gay a PG? No, not really.

I edited it before you responded.

Maybe if you weren't so obsessed with the role as ST ego cop, you would have seen the edits before you responded. But no you have to respond to everything within 5 minutes everyday, all day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I edited it before you responded.

Maybe if you weren't so obsessed with the role as ST ego cop, you would have seen the edits before you responded. But no you have to respond to everything within 5 minutes everyday, all day.
    You edited before I hit send, but not before I quoted you.

I'm sorry that I replied too fast? If you catch me at this time of day, I'm doing nothing but sitting at my work computer checking on assignments for the day. So I have a lot of free time. You reply at like five or six in the evening, I'm probably asleep or running errands prior to staying up to watch a game. Them's just the breaks.

In any event, when you know you edited your post to add something, and it's not in the person's reply, it makes no sense to assume that they specifically took that edited part out just to troll you. You've been around way too long to seriously think that.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But theyre both centers.

Its impossible.

I mean, remember when the ST people said Splitter & Duncan couldnt play together back in 11'? Because they were both "centers"? Absolutely must have a true spread the floor big next to one.
    I don't; but those people are idiots who know nothing about Duncan/Oberto.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lee > West. All that matters all we could afford tbh.
    Honestly feels good that we have 2 bench bigs who are looking solid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was pleasantly surprised, as well...wonder how Dedmon will do against Davis this Saturday?...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have looked great together so far. The fact is that they are both centers...and yes, post players are interchangeable depending on the line-up you're up against. There will be nights that you can't play them together because of the defensive match-up presented. In those cases you adjust....maybe it's Bertans that gets the nod...maybe KA.... it doesn't matter. What matters is we have options and the players to adjust to most any match-up teams can throw against us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait, someone actually wanted to play Lee as a center? Specially in a lineup with Dedmon-Aldridge-Pau..Give me some of that weed..

Only reason why Lee played Center last year was because Mejri was an unkown and Powell was severly limited.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was pretty skeptical about these two but I like what I've seen so far. Lee is good around the basket and he fights for rebounds and Dedmon has done everything we could've hoped in these first two games. So far they are looking like a huge upgrade over 2016 Bobo and D-Worst

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all i know is thank goodness the spurs organization actually knows and understands basketball in a way spurstalk clearly does not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait, someone actually wanted to play Lee as a center? Specially in a lineup with Dedmon-Aldridge-Pau..Give me some of that weed..

Only reason why Lee played Center last year was because Mejri was an unkown and Powell was severly limited.

WTF are you yapping about? Who here said that they WANTED Lee as a center? Why do you two always argue about nobody said?

You sort of proved the point, though. Lee played center last year, because they didn't have anyone better. And if Dedmon had continued to look as bad as he did in preseason, the Spurs would be in the same situation. Just like they were with West last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice little write up on Lee - dude's going to be a nice fit.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/david-lee-s...ce-and-success

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice little write up on Lee - dude's going to be a nice fit.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/david-lee-s...ce-and-success
    Indeed, people made too much of him not fitting the culture. Between Dedmon and Lee, we're starting to see the team get back what they lost with Splitter's departure. If you could combine Lee's finishing and offensive savvy with Dedmon's athleticism and defensive timing, you'd get a top-10 big. As it is the Spurs are hopefully going to get a top-five reserve front court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way dedmon moves on the court reminds me of David Robinson... just saying... don't take it as a full comparison...

Thread Information