Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So instead of trying to smooth that 60 fps target they had on the original PS4 for The Last of Us they chose to render the game at 1800p and downsample when you play at 1080p, making the frame dips even worse and all you get out of it is a lesser moving ant effect on things rendered in the distance. I have heard similar happens with Uncharted 4 since PS4 Pro renders the game at 1440p and downscales when you play on 1080p. This is unbelievably disappointing and makes me think the PS4 Slim might actually be the better buy since I don't have a 4k TV and won't buy one until the OLEDs become reasonably priced.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forgive my thread le. I thought I posted this under my ducks troll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Trump

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So instead of trying to smooth that 60 fps target they had on the original PS4 for The Last of Us they chose to render the game at 1800p and downsample when you play at 1080p, making the frame dips even worse and all you get out of it is a lesser moving ant effect on things rendered in the distance. I have heard similar happens with Uncharted 4 since PS4 Pro renders the game at 1440p and downscales when you play on 1080p. This is unbelievably disappointing and makes me think the PS4 Slim might actually be the better buy since I don't have a 4k TV and won't buy one until the OLEDs become reasonably priced.
    The dips are not that bad though. Also, I think you gotta put it in context a bit, they're probably rushing this version out to look a bit better on 4k without really re-building it for the Pro.

I would wait for a few Unreal engine type of games to come out for better comparison... that said, the Slim wouldn't be a bad purchase, and for true 4k in AAA games, the Pro is still underpowered in general, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What or equivalent gpu is in the ps4pro?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What or equivalent gpu is in the ps4pro?
    It sounds like it's pretty similar to an RX 470 except it shares its memory with the cpu. Still, it's GDDR5. It's much better for its time than the gpu in the original PS4 (which is more like an HD 7850).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet again, another game that plays worse on PS4 Pro than PS4. I think I'm going to buy the Slim. Get in here and explain this ElNono.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's annoying that all the devs are just rendering their games at 1800p for the Pro, meaning you can't even get a locked 30 fps at 1080p. With Uncharted 4 bundled in it makes the Slim effectively a $240 console if you want that game, which I do. I think I'll take the 40% discount for the peasant version of the console since it gives better framerates at 1080p.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's annoying that all the devs are just rendering their games at 1800p for the Pro, meaning you can't even get a locked 30 fps at 1080p. With Uncharted 4 bundled in it makes the Slim effectively a $240 console if you want that game, which I do. I think I'll take the 40% discount for the peasant version of the console since it gives better framerates at 1080p.
    You should look around for the original PS4, tbh... some places like Costco were liquidating inventory and had it at a discount...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should look around for the original PS4, tbh... some places like Costco were liquidating inventory and had it at a discount...
    It would have to be for $220 or less to be worth it once you factor in tax and Uncharted 4 which I can get from newegg with a PS4 Slim for $300 with no tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey Nono man, what do you know about using an HDMI extractor to get analog audio though RCA jacks? I don't want to my picture quality up running the PS4 Slim's HDMI out into the extractor and then the extractor's HDMI out to my 1080p monitor and the RCA analog audio out into the analog line in for my sound card. Is this something for which I can buy a cheap $20 extractor off amazon or newegg and be fine? Is it something where I'd want one of the $100 extractors I see on amazon? Or is it something where I'm degrading my image quality no matter what? That $250 PS4 Slim + Uncharted 4 + The Last of Us bundle at Gamestop looks pretty enticing and with worse 1080p framerates from the Pro it seems like PS4 pro is a sucker's buy for 1080p when PS4 Pro + Uncharted 4 + The Last of Us would cost me $450. Any specific extractor you can recommend?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey Nono man, what do you know about using an HDMI extractor to get analog audio though RCA jacks? I don't want to my picture quality up running the PS4 Slim's HDMI out into the extractor and then the extractor's HDMI out to my 1080p monitor and the RCA analog audio out into the analog line in for my sound card. Is this something for which I can buy a cheap $20 extractor off amazon or newegg and be fine? Is it something where I'd want one of the $100 extractors I see on amazon? Or is it something where I'm degrading my image quality no matter what? That $250 PS4 Slim + Uncharted 4 + The Last of Us bundle at Gamestop looks pretty enticing and with worse 1080p framerates from the Pro it seems like PS4 pro is a sucker's buy for 1080p when PS4 Pro + Uncharted 4 + The Last of Us would cost me $450. Any specific extractor you can recommend?
    Sucks the Slim doesn't have the TOS Link output anymore, hooking a little box there would've been the way to go (it is on the old PS4). Frankly, I haven't played with HDMI audio extractors.

Theoretically, I don't think you're going to up image quality, since the HDMI signal is digital, the real issue is not to up HDCP...

Something like this looks good if you're looking just for stereo sound and it's a lot cheaper:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-158-_-Product

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks the Slim doesn't have the TOS Link output anymore, hooking a little box there would've been the way to go (it is on the old PS4). Frankly, I haven't played with HDMI audio extractors.

Theoretically, I don't think you're going to up image quality, since the HDMI signal is digital, the real issue is not to up HDCP...

Something like this looks good if you're looking just for stereo sound and it's a lot cheaper:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-158-_-Product
    HDCP only matters for watching Blu-Ray and DVD though, right? I don't plan to use the PS4 for anything but gaming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HDCP only matters for watching Blu-Ray and DVD though, right? I don't plan to use the PS4 for anything but gaming.
    And Netflix, Hulu, Amazon video... there's a on-off toggle on the PS4... you can turn it on and off even for games. If it's off and you launch any of those apps, it tells you to turn it on or it wont run them.

So it won't hurt to have it on all the time if the box can extract the audio anyways.

I think it's a bit better future-proofed, in case some developer starts thinking of enabling them even for video games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are people even buying the PS4 Pro? It seems like they're pretty easy to find everywhere 5 days after launch. I remember when the PS3 launched s were willing to pay $1000 for them, you couldn't find one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt many people will buy the Pro if they already have the base PS4.

Thread Information