Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump used an old Chinese saying, one Bruce himself used to say: You use a boat to get across the river, but once you reach the other shore, you don't need to carry the boat with you. All that he said got him elected. That was his goal, to get elected. He won't worry about doing much until he's looking for re-election, and all this hoopla will have been for nothing. He's a billionaire, he's going to build his personal wealth. That's what presidents do now.

It's the house and senate, and the USSC that liberals really need to be focused on. Those people are going to do things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has the House and the Senate. we'll see if they can all play together.
    More importantly the house and senate have him. That's a lot of people to introduce GOP friendly bills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More importantly the house and senate have him. That's a lot of people to introduce GOP friendly bills.
    the real test will come on trade TBH....reforming NAFTA and resisting TPP despite the GOP...

"Some in your Administration reportedly believe passage of TPP should be attempted following November’s election. We respectfully, but strongly, disagree," the letter stated. It was signed by Reps. Candace Miller and Dave Trott of Michigan, Bill Shuster and Tim Murphy of Pennsylvania, Ed Whitfield (Ky.) and Ted Yoho (Fla.).

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    2. and 3. will not be kept.
    Very few campaign promises are.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Bull came out of trump's mouth so fast he can't even keep track of it. Expecting consistency is clearly misguided.
    Hillary's bull was even more prominent.

can't you acknowledge both sides are liars?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Can't do that without the Senate.

Do you think the Senate is going to kick our number one trading partner -- Canada -- and Mexico (#3) in the nuts?
    Yes he can. There is a provision to step out of it, written in the agreement.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    the real test will come on trade TBH....reforming NAFTA and resisting TPP despite the GOP...
    I think he will make good on that one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering that this was one of his major selling points with rust belt blue collar workers, I think he has to make good on that one.....trouble is, how far will the GOP congress go?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how does that work, profe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why do you think it's a good idea to antagonize our three biggest trading partners? (counting China because Trump promised to take them on too)

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If the result is I have to spend 50 cents more for a tape measure made in Lansing, Im good with that.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That's obviously way simplistic, but the drift counts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Emailgate will become yesterday's news pretty quickly.
    ... not according to Chaffetz

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NAFTA was written by BigCorp. They will certainly have plenty to say (plenty to pay to say it) about touching NAFTA.

TTP/TTIP/etic will come back under different acronyms, again written in secret by BigCorp/BigFinance/BigPharma, and Trash + Repugs will approve them. But it looks like some other countries aren't going to cooperate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Republicans turn out to be the party of economic nationalism I'll eat my hat. That would be pissing backwards on a lot of powerful interests.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought the free-trade orthodoxy was that restraint of trade costs more jobs than it creates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At any rate, rejiggering NAFTA and poking the Chinese in the eye amounts to shutting the barn door after all the horses have run away. The jobs we lost aren't coming back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hillary's bull was even more prominent.

can't you acknowledge both sides are liars?
    I seriously think we need to teach the concept of false equivalency in our schools. Idiotic and intellectually lazy thinking like that is why we got a President Trump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    continuity, not change?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it's early days, and this will probably keep changing over the next few weeks and months. Here's what the Trumpster and his team are indicating at this time:

1. "Drain the swamp":
    As Colbert noted, Trumps cabinet picks look like what is left over after you drain the swamp.

I predict the honeymoon will be non-existent, because there is no way he is going to keep any of the magic pony-type promises he made, and that I am sure many actually believed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I seriously think we need to teach the concept of false equivalency in our schools. Idiotic and intellectually lazy thinking like that is why we got a President Trump.
    Pretty much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. Then all the morons who think it is the worst thing in the world, get to see what the China-dominated replacement will be.

I will add this to the "I told you so" list.

TPP sucks, but it is better than what will likely replace it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the result is I have to spend 50 cents more for a tape measure made in Lansing, Im good with that.
    The problem with that is that, overall, free-trade benefitted Americans.

Lose 10,000 manufacturing jobs, but 300,000,000 people get the imported good cheaper. When the math is tallied up, the economics mean that the country is better off. Economics 201.

A tariff on imported Chinese goods will essentially be an instant inflation on all those goods, with absolutely no corresponding increase in wages, meaning purchasing power goes down. Further the COLA increases for all the social safety programs kick in. Higher taxes to sustain benefits or cuts to benefits will result, being a double whammy for those affected, i.e. everybody.

Most of the job losses were to microchips, not mexicans. Those jobs are not coming back, period.

Which is ironic. The party that thinks itself made up of free market champions will basically ignore how free markets work, and make everybody poorer.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The problem with that is that, overall, free-trade benefitted Americans.

Lose 10,000 manufacturing jobs, but 300,000,000 people get the imported good cheaper. When the math is tallied up, the economics mean that the country is better off. Economics 201.

A tariff on imported Chinese goods will essentially be an instant inflation on all those goods, with absolutely no corresponding increase in wages, meaning purchasing power goes down. Further the COLA increases for all the social safety programs kick in. Higher taxes to sustain benefits or cuts to benefits will result, being a double whammy for those affected, i.e. everybody.

Most of the job losses were to microchips, not mexicans. Those jobs are not coming back, period.

Which is ironic. The party that thinks itself made up of free market champions will basically ignore how free markets work, and make everybody poorer.
    I need to find some data on those conclusions. Also wondering how joblessness and the costs incurred are normalized in the above construct before I buy the Economic 201 assertation. Point me in the right direction?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Laura Ingraham: Republican Party Belongs To Trump Now
    Posted By Tim Hains
    On Date November 11, 2016

Radio host Laura Ingraham weighs in on the effect Donald Trump has had in remaking the Republican Party.

LAURA INGRAHAM: This is Trump's party now. The Never-Trumpers, what, are there five people, no offense, but there weren't that many.

He flipped states that were Democrat states.

He came in and completely upended the Bushes, the Clintons, Obama, the Chambers of Commerce, the media, Hollywood.

He took them all on. He got vilified. He made some mistakes. But he won handily.

The idea that he is going to come in and be like, okay, I gotta make Bill Kristol feel better, that's just ridiculous.

He is going to what he said he is going to do. It's going to be hard. Obamacare repeal, Paul Ryan is right. It's not that simple. It's a complex web which was designed that way to make it really hard to repeal.

I think Trump is happy to work with Paul Ryan on Trump's agenda. Where their agenda coalesces and collides, they will figure it out. I don't think Trump will spend time pleasing the Never-Trumpers. He pleased the American people. He has a mandate. The Democrats will have to deal with that agenda. We will see what happens.

I agree with her. They coat tailed off Trump - those who distanced themselves from him lost - they have WH and Congress because of him and after 8 years of do-nothing, I think they'll try to pass as much as possible in the first 2 years.
    Your response is to post an AM radio pundit's take?

You cannot make it more clear the dynamic going on here and it's not what you think it is.

Thread Information