Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ^After Trump asked them to...according to CNN.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who is Trump going to appoint for SCOTUS?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fast food CEO Trump is putting in charge of labor spent big against minimum wage increase

He once spent $10,000 to oppose a pay bump of one dollar an hour.

Andrew Puzder, CEO of the company that franchises Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s restaurants,

gave the money in 2006 to battle a Nevada ballot measure to raise the state minimum wage from $5.15 (the federal minimum wage at the time) to $6.15.

The donation put him among the top 10 donors trying to prevent the wage increase, according to the National Ins ute on Money in State Politics.

Puzder doesn’t just want to underpay his workers. He has absolute contempt for them,

as he showed in two 2011 speeches, bragging about how he’d improved the workforce at Hardee’s when he came on as CEO:

"In fast food, you sort of compete for the best of the worst," Puzder said. "In other words, you're not getting the Microsoft guys. At Hardee's we were getting the worst of the worst. Nobody wanted to work at Hardee's. It was complicated to work there, we had to change our network systems, our menu was too complicated we had to simplify it."

In public interviews Puzder has talked about his workers in more positive ways, but it’s not hard to tell what he really thinks. You look at what he does, and

what he does is wage theft, poor working conditions, and opposition to raising the minimum wage.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/0...28Daily+Kos%29

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    The fast food CEO Trump is putting in charge of labor spent big against minimum wage increase

He once spent $10,000 to oppose a pay bump of one dollar an hour.

Andrew Puzder, CEO of the company that franchises Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s restaurants,

gave the money in 2006 to battle a Nevada ballot measure to raise the state minimum wage from $5.15 (the federal minimum wage at the time) to $6.15.

The donation put him among the top 10 donors trying to prevent the wage increase, according to the National Ins ute on Money in State Politics.

Puzder doesn’t just want to underpay his workers. He has absolute contempt for them,

as he showed in two 2011 speeches, bragging about how he’d improved the workforce at Hardee’s when he came on as CEO:

"In fast food, you sort of compete for the best of the worst," Puzder said. "In other words, you're not getting the Microsoft guys. At Hardee's we were getting the worst of the worst. Nobody wanted to work at Hardee's. It was complicated to work there, we had to change our network systems, our menu was too complicated we had to simplify it."

In public interviews Puzder has talked about his workers in more positive ways, but it’s not hard to tell what he really thinks. You look at what he does, and

what he does is wage theft, poor working conditions, and opposition to raising the minimum wage.

What he does is keep wages at an appropriate level for burger flippers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeff Sessions laid the groundwork for Trump's Muslim ban and must be rejected by the Senate

To longtime Jeff Sessions observers, the chaos that unfolded in American airports on Saturday morning wasn’t a surprise. At all.
    Rather, the refugee ban was the predictable culmination of years of advocacy from two of President Donald Trump’s most trusted advisors:

White House Senior Advisor Stephen Miller and attorney general designate Jeff Sessions.

For years, Sessions and Miller—who was the Alabama senator’s communications director before leaving to join the Trump campaign—
    pushed research and talking points designed to make Americans afraid of refugees.

Press releases, email forwards, speeches on the Senate floor—Miller and Sessions used it all to make the case against Obama’s refugee program was a huge terror threat. The executive order Trump signed late in the day on Friday is just the logical conclusion of their work.

Last year,

the Senate voted on a
    non-binding resolution " affirming that the United States does not use religious tests for immigrants seeking admission into the country."

Guess who was one of the four voting against this resolution? You got it—Sessions.

Who also cast a proxy vote for Sen. Ted Cruz while he was at it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steve Bannon, Trump's Top Guy, Told Me He Was 'A Leninist' Who Wants To ‘Destroy the State’

The Breitbart executive director turned GOP leader boasted at a party about his goal of destroying the conservative establishment.

we had a long talk about his approach to politics. He never called himself a “populist” or an “American nationalist,” as so many think of him today. “I’m a Leninist,” Bannon proudly proclaimed.

“Lenin,” he answered, “wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Bannon was employing Lenin’s strategy for Tea Party populist goals. He included in that group the Republican and Democratic Parties, as well as the traditional conservative press.

I then asked Bannon whether or not he had read Sowell's piece, since Bannon was in favor of the very Tea Party tactic that Sowell had criticized.

National Review and The Weekly Standard,” he said, “are both left-wing magazines, and I want to destroy them also.”

He added that “no one reads them or cares what they say.”

His goal was to bring down the entire establishment including the leaders of the Republican Party in Congress. He went on to tell me that he was the East Coast coordinator of all the Tea Party groups. His plan was to get its candidates nominated on the Republican ticket, and then to back campaigns that they could win. Then, Bannon said, when elected they would be held accountable to fight for the agenda he and the Tea Party stood for.

If they didn’t, “we would force them out of office and oppose them when the next election for their seats came around.”

That, essentially, was the tactic employed when Eric Cantor was ousted by a far right candidate, virtually unknown college economics professor Dave Brat, in his Virginia district’s primary.

Trump’s decision to take on Bannon indicates that he wants to wage his campaign along the lines laid down by him—that of destroying the Republican leadership and the Party as we know it. Trump’s behavior thus far has been compatible with Bannon’s belief in Leninist tactics. As the Bolshevik leader once said,

“The art of any propagandist and agitator consists in his ability to find the best means of influencing any given audience, by presenting a definite truth, in such a way as to make it most convincing, most easy to digest, most graphic, and most strongly impressive.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-leninist.html

I never heard this Bannon talk, but his pics, his words give the feeling that's he's aa mentally ill as Trash, but a lot smarter, focused, much more dangerous.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 01-30-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who's the Favorite Senator of Followers of White Nationalists on Twitter?

Based on an analysis of senators' Twitter followers, Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), President Donald Trump's nominee to be attorney general, had the most overlap with white nationalist groups and individuals.

"He's the closest of all senators to the white nationalist groups,"

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...alists-twitter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How Jeff Sessions Helped Kill Equitable School Funding in Alabama

A civil-rights lawsuit challenging the system for funding Alabama’s schools succeeded, and the state’s courts in 1993 declared the conditions in the poor schools a violation of Alabama’s Cons ution. Gov. Guy Hunt, who had battled the litigation, accepted defeat, and vowed to work with the courts to negotiate a solution for equitably funding all of Alabama’s schools.

“This is a unique and timely opportunity to make historic improvements in Alabama’s public schools for our children,” Hunt said at a news conference in 1993, “and we will not miss this opportunity.”

Jeff Sessions had other ideas.

Sessions, elected Alabama attorney general just a year after the courts had begun review of reform measures,

didn’t think the state’s courts should have any role in deciding how Alabama educated its children.

He hired expensive private lawyers to fight the findings of the court — first at the district level, later at the state Supreme Court level.

He succeeded in removing a judge sympathetic to the plight of poor students from the case.

He filed appeal after appeal, insisting he be heard even after the state’s highest court issued final decisions.

He fought every effort by the court to require that schools in the state’s poorer communities be funded at the same levels as its wealthier ones.

Sessions’s efforts won out — both in the short term, and in the end. His legal jousting across his two years as attorney general effectively prevented any overhaul to the way schools were financed in Alabama, and as a result, helped drag out a case that would ultimately collapse years later when the makeup of the state’s top court turned over.

http://www.nationalmemo.com/sessions...nding-alabama/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

...Just like STers getting punked by borowitz

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...Just like STers getting punked by borowitz
    no

Boro z is unfunny and nobody falls for it despite your repeated attempts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Treasury Secretary Nominee Mnuchin Misled Senate About Robo-Signed Foreclosures

Steve Mnuchin, President Trump’s nominee for Treasury Secretary, recently told members of the Senate Finance Committee that his former bank OneWest did not use the illegal practice of “robo-signing” when foreclosing on homeowners after the collapse of the housing bubble. However, a new report claims that

OneWest repeatedly used robo-signed do ents on foreclosures.

As part of Mnuchin’s confirmation process, he responded in writing to questions from individual members of the Finance Committee, declaring that “OneWest Bank did not ‘robo-sign’ do ents.”

However, the Columbus Dispatch claims to have found multiple OneWest foreclosures involving Ohio homes that appear to be cases of robo-signing, including three foreclosures that were dismissed by a judge for using inaccurate, robo-signed do ents.

One local woman says received a note from a OneWest field inspector declaring that her house was vacant and was to boarded up.

Problem was, not only was the homeowner still living there, but she was not behind on her mortgage payments. What she didn’t know was that OneWest had decided to ignore a loan modification previously granted by a lender that OneWest had acquired.

She says it took her five years and a personal bankruptcy before the foreclosure was finally thrown out.

The OneWest employee who signed these foreclosure do ents had admitted in a separate lawsuit that she signed some 750 do ents a week, while only reviewing about 10% of them for accuracy.

https://consumerist.com/2017/01/30/r...-foreclosures/

Of COURSE he lied, he's BigFinance predatory shark.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democrats just blocked Mnuchin’s nomination for Treasury secretary

Senate Democrats just delayed the confirmation of Steven Mnuchin as President Trump’s secretary of Treasury.

The Democrats blocked a committee vote, which would have permitted the Senate Finance Committee to vote to recommend Mnuchin for confirmation. Instead, the committee will have to vote on his nomination Tuesday morning.

“While not surprising, this is an unfortunate and needless delay that simply means the Committee will reconvene tomorrow morning to vote on the nominee for U.S. Treasury Secretary,”

http://usuncut.com/news/democrats-just-blocked-mnuchins-nomination-treasury-secretary/

=========

OneWest "was responsible for 16,200 foreclosures on government-backed reverse mortgages, or 39 percent of all foreclosures nationwide, from 2009 through late 2014, even though it only serviced about 17 percent of the loans."

http://time.com/money/4639480/steve-mnuchin-treasury-secretary-foreclosures-onewest/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Company Says It Gave Price Exclusive Stock Deal, Contrary To His Testimony

An Australian pharmaceutical company says it gave President Donald Trump’s nominee to lead the Department of Health and Human Services an exclusive deal to purchase stock, the Wall Street Journal reported Monday.

That directly contradicts Price's testimony in his confirmation hearings that discounted shares of Innate Immunotherapeutics Ltd. “were available to every single individual that was an investor at the time."

Innate Immuno CEO Simon Wilkinson said in an interview with the Journal that those investors who had previously participated in private placement had been invited to “make friends and family aware of the opportunity” to buy discounted shares.

The Journal confirmed the exclusive discount in an interview with Rep. Chris Collins (R-NY), who owns a 17 percent stake in the company and who made Price aware of the stock opportunity.

Prior to the Journal report,

Price was
    already in hot water for the timing of his initial investment in Innate Immuno. He introduced legislation that would have benefitted the company after buying up to $15,000 in stock in the company in March of last year.

After that initial investment, Price invested larger sums in Innate Immuno stock at discounted rates, according to the Journal report. On two separate occasions, Price invested a net of $50,000-$100,000, according to disclosure forms.

The Senate Finance Committee is scheduled to vote Tuesday on Price's nomination to lead HHS.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...+%28TPMNews%29

This corrupt er is a Repug hero, for being a liar, the only ethical rule Repugs follow

The Corruption Will Be Unpresidented.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hundreds of State Legislators and Civil Rights Groups Urge Senate to Reject DeVos

'Ms. DeVos has used her vast wealth to influence state legislation and the outcomes of elections to advance policies that have undermined public education and proved harmful to many of our most vulnerable students'

http://www.commondreams.org/news/201...e-reject-devos

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the same day Rex Tillerson is confirmed, the House votes to kill a transparency rule for oil companies

the House voted to kill a transparency rule for oil companies that Tillerson once lobbied against while CEO of Exxon Mobil.

Using the little-known Congressional Review Act, the House GOP voted on Wednesday to kill an Obama-era regulation that would require publicly traded oil, gas, and mining companies to disclose any payments that they made to foreign governments, including taxes and royalties.
    The rule itself dates back to the 2010 Dodd-Frank Act — when senators from both parties included a provision requiring greater disclosure from mining and drilling companies working abroad. The hope was to cut down on corruption in resource-rich developing countries by increasing transparency.

Under the Congressional Review Act, the House and Senate can basically vote to repeal any Obama-era regulation finalized after June 13, 2016, by a simple majority vote — as long as the president agrees. And the SEC’s “resource extraction rule,” detested by the oil industry, was one of the first rules the GOP decided to target using the CRA.

Supporters of the rule, for their part, argued that the rule wasn’t substantially different from similar requirements in Canada and Europe. Foreign companies like BP and Royal Dutch S now regularly report taxes, bonuses, and other payments to foreign governments. Why shouldn’t American oil majors like Chevron and Exxon Mobil?

“The US had been at the forefront on the transparency issue, with more than 30 countries following in its footsteps to pass similar legislation,” said Isabel Munilla of Oxfam International, in a statement. “State-owned companies from Brazil, China, and Russia are all now required to disclose their payments. If the Senate follows suit in overturning this rule, the US will go from a leader into a laggard.”

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/1/14477314...rule-tillerson

The corruption will be unpresidented

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Late Wednesday, DeVos' nomination took another hit, from Eli Broad, the billionaire philanthropist who has funded many education reform efforts, especially charter schools. Broad sent a letter to senators calling DeVos unqualified.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/washington/la-na-essential-washington-updates-confirmation-of-betsy-devos-in-doubt-as-1485979980-htmlstory.html?utm_source=Today%27s+Headlines&utm_ campaign=2984d660f5-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_12_12&utm_medium=email&utm_ter m=0_b04355194f-2984d660f5-80027601

We'll see if the Repugs force her through anyway, they know she's another useful idiot, like Trash, way out of her depth.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sen. Al Franken tears into Texas Sen. John Cornyn over Ted Cruz lies in Jeff Sessions hearing

Senator Al Franken laid into false moralizing Texas Senator John Cornyn as he corrected the record from a lying Ted Cruz before the Jeff Session vote.
    When Senator Franken began illustrating the lies Senator Ted Cruz told on a previous day of Jeff Session's hearing, John Cornyn interrupted. Watch the full video where Al Franken made the entire case against Sessions and Cruz here.

"That's what happened," Al Franken said. "Those are the facts. But when describing this history, Senator Cruz misrepresented what happened. So I would like to take the opportunity to set the record straight."

"I object to the Senator disparaging a fellow member of the committee here in his absence," John Cornyn interjected. "I would think he .."

Franken immediately lashed back.

"Well, he should be here first of all," Franken slammed back pointing at Cornyn. "And secondly, he disparaged me, Senator."

"This is what happened," Franken continued with his speech. "Those are the facts. But when describing this history, Senator Cruz misrepresented what happened. So I would like to take this opportunity to set the record straight."

"Mr. Chairman, I object again," Cornyn interrupted again. "The Senator apparently can't get the message from the Chairman that this is over the top and inappropriate."

"I think the Senator from Texas doesn't get the message from the Chairman,"

"Can I explain what I am doing here?" Franken asked Grassley.

"Because Senator Cruz did the very thing, Senator Cornyn is accusing me of doing. In my absence, he misrepresented me. He misrepresented Mr. Hebert. He personally went after me. He personally impugned my integrity. You did not object then, did you?"

Cornyn claimed he was not sure if he was there.

"I wasn't here either," Franken lashed back. "Let me continue sir."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/0...ng-from-a-tree

At least one Dem is not taking from the Repug assholes.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Franken is a crying baby complaining about how mean Cruz is

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Franken is a crying baby complaining about how mean Cruz is
    not crying, complaining about Cruz lying about Franken, and we know from the primaries that Cruz lies nearly as much as Trash

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    not crying, complaining about Cruz lying about Franken, and we know from the primaries that Cruz lies nearly as much as Trash
    sure thing, botox. Why do you keep posting articles from illigimate places like Vox, Thinkprogress and Salon about dems blocking cabinet members? Republicans have the majority and the tie breaker, dummy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure thing, botox. Why do you keep posting articles from illigimate places like Vox, Thinkprogress and Salon about dems blocking cabinet members? Republicans have the majority and the tie breaker, dummy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Puzder’s anti-worker positions disqualify him from serving as labor secretaryHere is a partial list of the worker protections that Puzder’s policies would undermine

The minimum wage

Puzder opposes raising the federal minimum wage.1 He has stated, “Some jobs don’t produce enough economic value to bear the increase.”2 His statement demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of the minimum wage

Overtime pay

Puzder opposes a Department of Labor rule that would give millions more workers the right to the overtime pay they deserve. The updated overtime rule (set to go into effect Dec. 1, 2016, but blocked by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas) would raise the threshold below which most salaried workers who work more than 40 hours per week are automatically eligible for overtime pay. It has been raised only once since 1975 and is well below inflation-adjusted historic levels.

Paid sick leave

Puzder has been critical of proposals to provide paid sick leave.9 According to Puzder, businesses can’t afford to provide such benefits because our economy hasn’t seen the underlying economic growth necessary to support such increases.

Puzder’s position demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of what’s been going on in the U.S. economy.

Enforcement of workers rights

Puzder’s record as CEO of CKE Restaurants is marked by repeated violations of the very wage and hour and safety protections he would be responsible for enforcing as secretary of labor. In a survey of workers at CKE Restaurants conducted by the Restaurant Opportunities Center, nearly one-third of workers reported that they were not paid overtime when they worked more than 40 hours in a week.15 Workers also reported working in unsafe conditions. Furthermore, while the secretary of labor is not tasked with enforcing anti-discrimination laws, Puzder’s company’s record of sexual harassment and sex discrimination lawsuits demonstrates his hostility to our nation’s system of worker protections.

Trump’s selection of a man who opposes raising the minimum wage, has criticized safety and health regulations, and has disparaged paid sick time proposals does not demonstrate a commitment to improving the lives of workers. Trump’s selection of a CEO of a company with a record of paying low wages and violating basic labor and employment laws does not demonstrate a desire to create an economy that works for us all. America’s workers deserve better.

http://www.epi.org/publication/puzde...bor-secretary/

Thread Information