Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep..the forgotten story, they were the other team chasing him, would have had their starting C and rim protector
    Imagine the value he would bring to that team over D-Worst,

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could the Dubs had got him after Durant? They could only offer Dedmon the minimum, right?
    Yep..it was between the Spurs and Dubs according to reports at the time IIRC..they could only offer him the minimum, while the Spurs were able to give him more IIRC..Chinook probably remembers more accurately..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hardest Spurs big in a looong time..
    That's not saying much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice player, but I'm not getting the appeal of him as someone who can conceivably start and replace "Paussy."

There's too much evaluation of players in a vacuum lately without consideration of the overall effect they could have on other players, namely our Alpha.

One of the reasons I'm such an advocate of LMA and now Pau isn't because I'm a great fan of them on an individual level, but how they can potentially complement Leonard's game. Everyone loves Leonard's "Jordan-esque" mid-post game on here, and those people want to see the offense run through him in those spots every time down. Fair enough. But for Kawhi to flourish the most in that context, he needs to be paired with bigs who have ranges of 15 feet and out.

Dedmon won't draw an opposing shotblocker out of the paint.

See here.

"K" is one of Kawhi's favorite spots to post up, and from there, he can take a turn around jumper or post-dribble into a drive. Offensively limited bigs like Dedmon typically hang around the "D" spot on offense hoping for o-boards and put backs, which lets the opposing paint anchor basically patrol the paint. If Kawhi turns for a jumper, the opposing big can rush him enough to bother the shot. If Kawhi dribbles from there, the opposing big can go for a block.

Pau can pull another big much farther out, giving Kawhi a lot more space to work with. And with LMA drawing his man out, Kawhi is going to get plenty of isolation opportunities where help defense can't do much as they'll have to stay home on Pau and LMA.

Dedmon will be useful in spots, but I think he would be a detriment to Kawhi's game overall long term.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I truly do love this guy. Wasn't he supposed to be a Jehovah's witness and wasn't allowed to play Basketball until he turned 18 when he had his own choices? He seems like a guy that grew up in a rough neighborhood.

I really loved his defensive performance tonight, and I'd take that over Pau's offense. I am a lot more excited about Dedmon scoring 6-8 points coupled with his play on the defensive end Vs Pau scoring 15 points along with putrid defense. Gasol probably needs to be benched. Not sure you can bench LA.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn hanging his nuts on Justin Anderson from all angles..

Dude is a mini-DRob.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Nice player, but I'm not getting the appeal of him as someone who can conceivably start and replace "Paussy."

There's too much evaluation of players in a vacuum lately without consideration of the overall effect they could have on other players, namely our Alpha.

One of the reasons I'm such an advocate of LMA and now Pau isn't because I'm a great fan of them on an individual level, but how they can potentially complement Leonard's game. Everyone loves Leonard's "Jordan-esque" mid-post game on here, and those people want to see the offense run through him in those spots every time down. Fair enough. But for Kawhi to flourish the most in that context, he needs to be paired with bigs who have ranges of 15 feet and out.

See here.

Kawhi isn't really a slasher or a drive-&-kick guy but rather a mid-range shooter. All he needs is a PnP partner like LMA to get one of the bigs out of the paint then he's either going to pull up or drive based on how the other big plays it. As far as 4-down post-ups, Pop has pretty much eliminated that from the playbook except for Softridge. The days of clearing sides for Kawhi post-ups is over unless it's a mismatch where Kawhi bullies the defender.

For the most part, Kawhi is playing ISO ball w/ LMA stretching the floor when Dedmon is in the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

See here.

"K" is one of Kawhi's favorite spots to post up, and from there, he can take a turn around jumper or post-dribble into a drive. Offensively limited bigs like Dedmon typically hang around the "D" spot on offense hoping for o-boards and put backs, which lets the opposing paint anchor basically patrol the paint. If Kawhi turns for a jumper, the opposing big can rush him enough to bother the shot. If Kawhi dribbles from there, the opposing big can go for a block.

Pau can pull another big much farther out, giving Kawhi a lot more space to work with. And with LMA drawing his man out, Kawhi is going to get plenty of isolation opportunities where help defense can't do much as they'll have to stay home on Pau and LMA.

Dedmon will be useful in spots, but I think he would be a detriment to Kawhi's game overall long term.
    Reposting for the page flip.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So far he reminds me of the flashes we had with Nazi; seems to have the skills, just needs the consistency. I hope we can keep him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi isn't really a slasher or a drive-&-kick guy but rather a mid-range shooter. All he needs is a PnP partner like LMA to get one of the bigs out of the paint then he's either going to pull up or drive based on how the other big plays it. As far as 4-down post-ups, Pop has pretty much eliminated that from the playbook except for Softridge. The days of clearing sides for Kawhi post-ups is over unless it's a mismatch where Kawhi bullies the defender.

For the most part, Kawhi is playing ISO ball w/ LMA stretching the floor when Dedmon is in the game.
    Exactly. And more spacing the better, since pulling the other big out gives him an additional lane to use. He needs all the interior spacing he can get when driving since he's not a Lebron/Westbrook super athlete who can routinely posterize shotblockers.

It also gives Parker more space, but he's useless no matter the scheme these days.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if Dedmon should start, he's a foul machine..he's perfect in his role, at the moment..

Not to mention Gasol would never happily accept a bench role, based on his history..

I don't have a problem with Gasol as an individual, he's been fine for the Spurs, exactly what I expected..it just sucks that he was essentially a wasted signing that could have potentially been used on a guad, since he's redundant with Aldridge in virtually every way(including being soft)..that's just hindsight, though, since the Spurs probably didn't expect both Dedmon and Lee to perform as well as they have..

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Exactly. And more spacing the better, since pulling the other big out gives him an additional lane to use. He needs all the interior spacing he can get when driving since he's not a Lebron/Westbrook super athlete who can routinely posterize shotblockers.

It also gives Parker more space, but he's useless no matter the scheme these days.
    I'll take Kawhi's pull-up over Pau's defense especially if he's being replaced by an elite defender who can grab offensive rebounds & be a lob threat.

Replacing Pau w/ Dedmon has essentially had the same effect as Tristan replacing Love in '14-'15 & the Cavs actually had Mozgov instead of a stretch 4 like LMA.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 12-01-2016 at 12:29 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

See here.

Jordan did fine with Rodman

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Dedmon should start, either, he's a foul machine..he's perfect in his role..

Not to mention Gasol would never happily accept a bench role, based on his history..

I don't have a problem with Gasol as an individual, he's been fine for the Spurs, exactly what I expected..it just sucks that he was essentially a wasted signing that could have potentially been used on a guad, since he's redundant with Aldridge in virtually every way(including being soft)..that's just hindsight, though, since the Spurs probably didn't expect both Dedmon and Lee to perform as well as they have..
    I'm think the FO's logic was similar to mine.

Gasol + LMA drawing bigs out of the paint=ocean of space for Kawhi. Plus Pau's superlative passing having impact. I also think the FO was hoping, once again, that Parker would have a resurgence, since the increased spacing would benefit his penetration. But he doesn't even do that anymore.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I'm think the FO's logic was similar to mine.

Gasol + LMA drawing bigs out of the paint=ocean of space for Kawhi. Plus Pau's superlative passing having impact. I also think the FO was hoping, once again, that Parker would have a resurgence, since the increased spacing would benefit his penetration. But he doesn't even do that anymore.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Pop sought out Pau in the interest of his loyal son Porker.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's the type of player Spurs needed.

He makes an impact on the game on the defensive end, on contested boards and without the ball on the offensive end. Wish Aldridge & Gasol didn't need the ball to extract their marginal overrated value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be surprised if Pop sought out Pau in the interest of his loyal son Porker.
    Pau made sense. All his defensive metrics were similar to last season's Duncan, from rim protection and on. Add in his passing and shooting, and he seems tailormade for the Spurs. I honestly don't think he's a problem.

It's the backcourt sans Patty. I won't even throw Danny under the bus here. In reality, Parker and Manu are killing us. Oh, we also don't have a backup SF. Fathead still hasn't paid any dividends.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Pau made sense. All his defensive metrics were similar to last season's Duncan, from rim protection and on. Add in his passing and shooting, and he seems tailormade for the Spurs. I honestly don't think he's a problem.
    Pau would have been GREAT as a Diaw/D-Worst replacement but his defense didn't pass the eye test in Chicago besides his ability to block shots/rebound when he's camping under the rim. (He doesn't get exposed in FIBA b/c there is no 3 second rule)

It's the backcourt sans Patty. I won't even throw Danny under the bus here. In reality, Parker and Manu are killing us. Oh, we also don't have a backup SF. Fathead still hasn't paid any dividends.
    Not signing a LEGIT 5th guard like Felton was inexcusable when Enrique/Evita are a 73 year old backcourt.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Damn hanging his nuts on Justin Anderson from all angles..

thank god parker wasn't playing tonight.

if parker was in that possession then dedmon would be passing the ball behind him and parker would've waited until the mavs got back on defense before making a pass.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    thank god parker wasn't playing tonight.

if parker was in that possession then dedmon would be passing the ball behind him and parker would've waited until the mavs got back on defense before making a pass.
    He would have reversed the ball out when he saw a shot blocker running towards the rim, including his own teammate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

See here.

You're not thinking about the game deep enough. You're basically explaining basic concepts that are on the level of a CYO coach.

In all honesty, Kawhi can work just fine with Dedmon if he was able to see the court better, so the times when he would have the lane ( which hardly happens), the weakside perimeter defender would dig down to Dedmon to eliminate the anticipated pass if Dedmons man was to move over to contest Kawhis' penetration. This would leave the weakside three wide open and would be a better end result than a Kawhi mid range jumper.

, Kawhi would work better with Dedmon if he was able to turn the corner in PnRs better too because Dedmons dives in the PnR would suck in the weakside defense creating open 3's on the weakside. Give me wide open weakside 3's from the corner all day over a contested Kawhi jumper.

Kawhi and his weaknesses are a bigger reason why the others haven't been effective when Kawhi has the ball because: A) He can't create separation from his man with his foot speed/acceleration to attract an aggressive commit from the weakside D ( opening up wider passing pockets and easier and more efficient shots for others). B) He lacks vision and decisions passing the ball are very poor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He would have reversed the ball out when he saw a shot blocker running towards the rim, including his own teammate.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im down for dedmon to start.. Bring Gasol off da bench with manu and lee.
    This must happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's the kind of player I wanted the Spurs to go after in the off season. Could've used the money the wasted on MVPau on a playmaking guard; I love Gasol but him and LMA are practically the same player on this team.
    and neither one of them plays defense worth a damn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're not thinking about the game deep enough. You're basically explaining basic concepts that are on the level of a CYO coach.

In all honesty, Kawhi can work just fine with Dedmon if he was able to see the court better, so the times when he would have the lane ( which hardly happens), the weakside perimeter defender would dig down to Dedmon to eliminate the anticipated pass if Dedmons man was to move over to contest Kawhis' penetration. This would leave the weakside three wide open and would be a better end result than a Kawhi mid range jumper.

, Kawhi would work better with Dedmon if he was able to turn the corner in PnRs better too because Dedmons dives in the PnR would suck in the weakside defense creating open 3's on the weakside. Give me wide open weakside 3's from the corner all day over a contested Kawhi jumper.

Kawhi and his weaknesses are a bigger reason why the others haven't been effective when Kawhi has the ball because: A) He can't create separation from his man with his foot speed/acceleration to attract an aggressive commit from the weakside D ( opening up wider passing pockets and easier and more efficient shots for others). B) He lacks vision and decisions passing the ball are very poor.
    Agreed, and that's why I think the logic of give Kawhi the most space to work with via isolation by pairing him with shooting bigs makes sense in theory. It covers some of those limitations. Much easier to kick it out to waiting Gasol than it is to find Dedmon in traffic with a shovel pass (something Manu was great at doing in his prime).

Thread Information