Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    sha na na na na kneeeees Axl Rose's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Well China will join into the game and do something inflamatory against US interests.

Like striking a military deal with Phillipinnes
    Philippines don't want that if we'd just treat them with a little respect, china is a historic rival of theirs

not to mention none of China's neighbors like china and all are our allies who would like to see the bully humbled

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    taiwan was like, i bet he doesn't know he's not supposed to talk to us directly. watch this

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    taiwan was like, i bet he doesn't know he's not supposed to talk to us directly. watch this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    off n!gger were tired of hearing your , it doesn't take a special talent to spout off slurs
    Did you ever get your foreskin reinstalled?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way the left is crying about this, you'd think Trump had just given $150B to Iran or something...

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that accepting a phone call from Taiwan is considered some huge mistake really shows the problems with the establishment, not Trump. It's ing stupid this is even an issue at all.
    Yep.

Partisan bickering over symbolic diplomatic gestures is a staple. LOL at conservatives acting like America hasn't just experienced 8 years of this, though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way the left is crying about this, you'd think Trump had just given $150B to Iran or something...
    Trash has exposed himself so soon as being completely ignorant of 40 years of US policy, but certainly well informed of Trash's business objectives in Taiwan.

First he LIED that Taiwan called him just to say "congrats", then it comes out that the call was arranged, agreed to by Taiwan and Trash's staff.

It's obviously Taiwan testing, tricking Trash into tweaking China's nose.

My guess is that Trash's business objectives in Taiwan will now have no trouble getting permits, authorization, whatever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First he LIED that Taiwan called him just to say "congrats", then it comes out that the call was arranged, agreed to by Taiwan and Trash's staff.
    So what if the call was arranged by staffs? At my job it's not unusual to coordinate executive schedules for routine phone calls, and these are people getting promoted to VP type positions, not President of the United States.

Aren't there plenty of other things to about?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what if the call was arranged by staffs? At my job it's not unusual to coordinate executive schedules for routine phone calls, and these are people getting promoted to VP type positions, not President of the United States.

Aren't there plenty of other things to about?
    ing? nope, just laughing at all you rightwingnutjob Trash fellators.

Let's see if PRC penalizes US companies investments in China. I'm sure they have 100s of ways to choose from.

Then I bet the US business establishment will tell Trash to STFU about China.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    K

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White House reaffirms ‘One China’ policy after Trump calls Taiwan leader

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-...8m3maOlYL.html

If Trash's ignorance and faux pas aren't fatal, they will at least be HEE IN LARIOUS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ls18ftY2A

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, what would the reaction have been of he bowed to the Prime Minister of Japan?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or FLeOTUS hugging the queen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is how Trump sets the stage for dealing with China on a business front: "I don't give a , I'll go elsewhere"
    goddam, you're stupid

USA BigCorp has $10Bs invested in China

playing to your connable stupidity, don the con siad he'd impose 35% tariff
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-04-2016 at 01:46 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    goddam, you're stupid

playing to your stupidiry, don the con siad he'd impose 35% tariff
    Bigblah ed Bigwahwah repugs stupid up your ass piece of

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By now you know that President Elect Trump took a call from the President of Taiwan and simultaneously lit on fire the underpants of the mainstream media and maybe the leadership of China too.

Apparently taking a phone call from the president of Taiwan is a major diplomatic change from the so-called “One China Policy” that imagines Taiwan as a rogue province of China, not its own country. Reports are saying this call was planned, not a mistake on the Trump team’s side.

Was this a mistake by Trump?

If you look at this call through the filter of normal politics it is clearly a mistake. It provokes the Chinese leadership and gains nothing obvious in return. The media is reporting this event as exactly the sort of thing that leads to nuclear annihilation. This is the same mainstream media that got everything wrong about Trump for the past year.

But if you look at this situation through the filter of a Master Persuader, it makes perfect sense. Trump is “setting the table” for future negotiations with China. He just subtracted something from China’s brand that they value, and later he will negotiate with them to maybe give it back in some fashion. Probably in return for some trade concessions.

But what about the risk? Does it ever make sense to poke a nuclear power? In this case, probably yes. As I have said in this blog before, China’s leadership is both mature and competent. Many of them have engineering degrees. They understand what Trump is doing, and none of it is a path to war because neither side has any interest in war. None. Zero.

I can imagine some scenarios in which China and the U.S. might dangerously escalate toward war, but one friendly call to a major trading partner isn’t one of the scenarios.

But why take that call now? Shouldn’t Trump have cleared this with Obama, or waited until he was President?

No. Because the Obama administration would have advised him not to do it. And waiting until January is the way old politics is done. This sort of bold, rapid action is evidently what Trump wants you to think is his brand as president. The Taiwan call is consistent with the New CEO Play that I described in this post. He’s setting the tone as bold, effective, and not waiting for red tape to slow him down.

Don’t worry about China going to war over a phone call. They understand Trump, in part because they read my blog too. And look at the brilliance of China’s diplomatic response. Their Foreign Minister labelled the phone call, "a shenanigan by the Taiwan side.“ That is exquisite diplomatic framing, Master Persuader-style. You can see why China and Trump respect each other; they both earned it.

Mutual respect is a safe place to be. Relax. Adults are in charge.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny how other countries tout their customs and protocol but ignore the out of ours when they visit here.
    Thats what you do when you have fewer bargaining chips.

And who the cares in the long run? Does it hurt egos like hater who sees victory in a dis? The big dog is not bothered by flies not following protocol.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    goddam, you're stupid

playing to your connable stupidity, don the con siad he'd impose 35% tariff

I would not argue with Trump's unique methods in negotiations yet. China stands to lose a whole lot more in an economic game of chicken.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    goddam, Don The Con is one sick mofo

Trump launches Sunday Twitter tirade against China, this is NOT going to end well

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump

Did China ask us if it was OK to devalue their currency (making it hard for our companies to compete), heavily tax our products going into..
    4:23 PM - 4 Dec 2016

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

their country (the U.S. doesn't tax them) or to build a massive military complex in the middle of the South China Sea? I don't think so!
    4:30 PM - 4 Dec 2016

The is a small downtick of Chinese holdings in the U.S. debt, but they are still the largest foreign holder:

The biggest foreign holder of U.S. government debt had $1.22 trillion in bonds, notes and bills in July, down $22 billion from the prior month, in the biggest drop since 2013, according to U.S. Treasury Department data released Friday in Washington and previous figures compiled by Bloomberg.

The portfolio of Japan, the largest holder after China, rose $6.9 billion to $1.15 trillion.

Saudi Arabia’s holdings of Treasuries declined for a sixth straight month, to $96.5 billion.

In short, China could wreak havoc if they called in our debt. Russia is a key trade partner with China. Who will the Russians stand with?

And bashing on China’s controversial South China Sea bases? On Twitter?

Donald Trump is pushing into uncharted and very dangerous waters with his Twitter account…..

and he hasn’t even taken the oath of office yet.

He may do more than wreck the U.S. economy.

He may drag us into full-scale military confrontation.

Former President Obama advisor Dan Pfeiffer put it best:

Follow

Dan Pfeiffer
    @danpfeiffer

To call this is a diplomatic strategy would be like calling a monkey throwing its feces against the wall artistic expression

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/805538149157969924 …

5:02 PM - 4 Dec 2016

We are so screwed.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/12/04/1607243/-China-launches-Sunday-Twitter-tirade-against-China-this-is-NOT-going-to-end-well?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_cam paign=Feed%3A+dailykos%2Findex+%28Daily+Kos%29d

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    The fact that accepting a phone call from Taiwan is considered some huge mistake really shows the problems with the establishment, not Trump. It's ing stupid this is even an issue at all.
    The U.S. sells weapons to Taiwan all the time, but God forbid Trump picks up the phone when they call him!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hmmmm....

Donald Trump’s protocol-breaking telephone call with Taiwan’s leader was an intentionally provocative move that establishes the incoming president as a break with the past, according to interviews with people involved in the planning.

The historic communication — the first between leaders of the United States and Taiwan since 1979 — was the product of months of quiet preparations and deliberations among Trump’s advisers about a new strategy for engagement with Taiwan that began even before he became the Republican presidential nominee, according to people involved in or briefed on the talks.

The call also reflects the views of hard-line advisers urging Trump to take a tough opening line with China, said others familiar with the months of discussion about Taiwan and China.

Trump and his advisers have sought to publicly portray the call the president-elect took from Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen *on Friday as a routine congratulatory call. Trump noted on Twitter that she placed the call.
    Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...06c_story.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "a new strategy for engagement with Taiwan"

"
    a tough opening line with China"

what's the objective for these neocons? a nobody-wins nuclear war with China and NK?

WTF are they doing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    China just joined Russia to veto Aleppo cease fire

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they are also sending more military to their islands in the pacific, lifting North Korean sanctions and will point 1000 more missiles at Taiwan

Thanks Trump

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they are also sending more military to their islands in the pacific, lifting North Korean sanctions and will point 1000 more missiles at Taiwan

Thanks Trump
    Because having more guns pointed at you is more dangerous. Any of those missiles could accidentally discharge.

Thread Information