Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. Seriously, wasn't Tony one of the first to really legitimize the floater and/or the teardrop?
    A few players used to hit that tear drop before him like Van Exel comes to him but Tony was so damn efficient at it and the shot was unstoppable when he got in the lane. Far cry from now sadly where that is non existent like Tims bank shot the last few years on end. Tim adjusted his game though in other ways to be effective and Tony has not. Sadly that shot is gone from his arsenal and it was his most effective.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny. Just watched 2003 and 2005 championship DVDs, and while Tony had some ups and downs in those runs, he was integral no doubt in the Spurs winning those les. In his prime, he was a beast. He's not in his prime, but he's the best point guard on the roster and there isn't a free agent out there that can replace him, so it's pointless to say he should be dropped.

Common sense on this forum.

Something that's rare anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. Seriously, wasn't Tony one of the first to really legitimize the floater and/or the teardrop?
    No

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny. Just watched 2003 and 2005 championship DVDs, and while Tony had some ups and downs in those runs, he was integral no doubt in the Spurs winning those les. In his prime, he was a beast. He's not in his prime, but he's the best point guard on the roster and there isn't a free agent out there that can replace him, so it's pointless to say he should be dropped.
    Totally agree.. everybody is talking about trading him and getting rid of him but who replaces him. Patty is turning into a great pg but if you start him who comes of the bench. The bench production will take a hit. The 2 rookie pgs aren't accustomed to the system yet. The best scenario is limit tp's minutes, give him plenty of rest during the regular season and next year go after a younger better pg in free agency.
    Last edited by el contusione; 12-05-2016 at 11:59 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This piece really doesn't come up with any mind-boggling new info. The two conclusions they came up with in the end were 1) Tony Parker isn't the player he used to be (well, no ) and 2) the Spurs need to reduce his touches and minutes (they already have).

Totally agree.. everybody is talking about trading him and getting rid of him but who replaces him. Patty is turning into a great pg but if you start him who comes of the bench. The bench production will take a hit. The 2 rookie pgs aren't accustomed to the system yet. The best scenario is limit tp's minutes, give him plenty of rest during the regular season and next year go after a younger better pg in free agency.
    Pretty much sums it up. There isn't another player available on the market that can provide what Parker does even with his limitations, and no team is going to give us fair value back in a trade for him unless you include another vital piece (no, Kyle Anderson doesn't count), especially not at the point guard position.

As for Patty, he just doesn't work the same with starting unit, and we have seen those results plenty so far on this young season. He is a gunner who requires lots of touches and shots to be effective, and he can get those with the bench unit. With the starters, his shots are limited by Kawhi, LMA, and Pau, and he simply isn't good at initiating the offense with those guys. His defensive limitations are also more evident going up against starting point guards. There is a reason that Pop prefers to bring Patty off the bench even when Parker is out.
    Last edited by Dex; 12-05-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This piece really doesn't come up with any mind-boggling new info. The two conclusions they came up with in the end were 1) Tony Parker isn't the player he used to be (well, no ) and 2) the Spurs need to reduce his touches and minutes (they already have).
    did you expect otherwise, tbh?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    get him off the team. such a defensive liability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the things that made Tony's forays into the paint so effective for several years was the fact that Duncan (or one of the guys playing Center - after Robinson it was sort of a revolving door) effectively blocked the opposing center/pf from blocking tp's shots. The other thing was that his mid-range really was effective, and that made both his rim shots easier and kept the defenses honest in not just being able to lay back and wait for him to get to the basket for a block.

As Tim's knees buckled and his game had to adjust by moving away from the basket a bit so as not to force the knees into so much weight bearing, Tony had fewer and fewer guys who could or would efectively block out for him. That is when you saw him getting hit (and blocked) more and more frequently in the paint which eventually took its toll on his legs, but it also coincided with the 'loop' play emphasis, which had him running further than any other teammate during most games.

People are right that there is no one who can replace him right now, but I sure liked what I saw from Nico tonight. I think he has the passing and court vision skills to become a terrific pg.

So the answer is yes...the Spurs should move on from Parker, and they are doing that in the very 'Spursian' way of theirs...gradually developing a replacement while keeping the 'corporate knowledge' that Parker has while a new team is being developed.

Final point - Parker is no worse on defense than Patty or Nico, and as so many have pointed out - he has a ton more miles on his legs.

Thread Information