Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched Lap play before he came to the Spurs. I think he has more talent than you're giving him credit for, and a load of toughness. Once he's had a full year in the NBA, and some playoff seasoning - plus another summer league and preseason - I think he'll easily be a solid backup. I don't know if he's got more than that in him, but a solid backup PG is nothing to sneeze at.
    Talent limited compared to NBA starters. Wasn't meaning to rag on the guy, but he is what he is -- a back up PG in this league is his ceiling because his talent is limited to a degree. But I agree, he can be a solid back up in this league. I'm a fan of the way he plays. I think he can be a back up PG right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leaving Teletovic wide open in the corner for a game winning three point attempt. That'll go down as a good defensive stand to end the game but it was actually some more awful defense from a dude that has zero court awareness. He's virtually unplayable at times.

Danny saw Jabari Parker come open under the basket on the left side, and Ante was facing that direction. Danny was coming over to prevent what he thought could be an uncontested dunk in the making. Maybe he should have stayed home. If they had gotten the dunk, it wouldn't have been his fault - but that wouldn't have helped the team any.

As for leaving TelliTubby open - the first pass was to Delly, who was totally alone out at the elbow. At that point, it was pick your poison. He moved to contest Delly, and he made the extra pass to the corner. The Spurs were playing 4-on-5 at that point, because Manu was on the floor. As it happened, Manu happened to be on the floor in the exact right place to keep Ante from getting tot he rim, but with one guy down, somebody is going to be open.

There were lots and lots of things to ding Danny about in that game. That play wouldn't be at the top of my list.

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you guys think of the body language Kawhi and Alridge have shown? I know Tim wasn't the most flashy or expressive... but you knew you had a rock in the team and he won't let you down. Just not sure if Kawhi and Alridge gives that team the vibe... and that's important for leadership.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Talent limited compared to NBA starters. Wasn't meaning to rag on the guy, but he is what he is -- a back up PG in this league is his ceiling because his talent is limited to a degree. But I agree, he can be a solid back up in this league. I'm a fan of the way he plays. I think he can be a back up PG right now.
    He looked pretty rough in some of those early games, but I didn't join the lynch mob. He's definitely not the kind of flashy PG that is so prevalent in the league. But I think he's a damned good pass-first point, in the John Stockton style, and has the strength/toughness to play that style well. Nobody needs to jump on that comment - I'm not saying that he's another John Stockton. But I think he could have enough going for him to start (in a couple of years) for a squad that has scorers, and needs a distributor. Maybe not, but I think he could have that kind of potential, even though it's unlikely that he ever gets that opportunity.

If you watch him, he sees the right pass well ahead of time, and works his way to the point on the floor where he can make it. We don't see that style of point much in the NBA. He's actually been a pretty decent shooter most of his career, even though he doesn't shoot a lot. But he makes enough shots, and shoots a high enough percentage, to force defenses to respect his shot. Once he earns more minutes, I don't see why that will be any different in the NBA.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I think there is more to him than most people here have seen. I said as soon as they signed him that I expected him to make the roster. Honestly, I doubt that he would ever become a starter in the NBA, but I think he could be one of the better backup PG's in the league. I think his playmaking talent, and toughness are that good, anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you guys think of the body language Kawhi and Alridge have shown? I know Tim wasn't the most flashy or expressive... but you knew you had a rock in the team and he won't let you down. Just not sure if Kawhi and Alridge gives that team the vibe... and that's important for leadership.
    Kawhi literally willed his team to a win

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think talking is over-rated, compared to doing. When the Spurs were having one of "those nights", and everybody was flat, Tim's body language said, "Get the out of my way - I got this." And he just put the team on his shoulders.

Kawhi's play in the fourth quarter was a lot like that. Aldridge made some big plays, but he wasn't carrying anyone. Kawhi? He really did, and I think the other players on the floor saw it that way, and responded to it. It's not fair to compare anyone to Timmy - he was a generational player. But people forget that Tim had games where he couldn't do anything, and the team wound up in a hole - but at the end of the game you could see the determination kick in and he wasn't going to let the team lose. Nothing says "leader" like being able to stand and deliver. Kawhi showed some of that last night. Aldridge? Yeah, I don't see that from him. I'm not even looking for that from him. He can make big rebounds and shots, but what you're talking about is going to have to come from Kawhi, I think.

Kawhi literally willed his team to a win

He never would have gotten the chance, without Dedmon. You can carve that in stone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DPG!
    Damn
    Perfect
    Grades

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    coming back on to the court after a time out and right after pulling withing two late in the 3rd, i caught nico and simmons just smiling broadly. it was great to see them just having fun and not backing away from the moment. these young pups are growing up before our eyes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DPG!
    Damn
    Perfect
    Grades

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was one of the best all-around games I've ever seen Aldridge play, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DPG!
    Damn
    Perfect
    Grades

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was one of the best all-around games I've ever seen Aldridge play, tbh
    Agreed - pretty beast

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think talking is over-rated, compared to doing. When the Spurs were having one of "those nights", and everybody was flat, Tim's body language said, "Get the out of my way - I got this." And he just put the team on his shoulders.

Kawhi's play in the fourth quarter was a lot like that. Aldridge made some big plays, but he wasn't carrying anyone. Kawhi? He really did, and I think the other players on the floor saw it that way, and responded to it. It's not fair to compare anyone to Timmy - he was a generational player. But people forget that Tim had games where he couldn't do anything, and the team wound up in a hole - but at the end of the game you could see the determination kick in and he wasn't going to let the team lose. Nothing says "leader" like being able to stand and deliver. Kawhi showed some of that last night. Aldridge? Yeah, I don't see that from him. I'm not even looking for that from him. He can make big rebounds and shots, but what you're talking about is going to have to come from Kawhi, I think.

He never would have gotten the chance, without Dedmon. You can carve that in stone.
    I agree mostly with your sentiment. However (and it's not a knock on any current Spur) there is something to a true emotional leader. That doesn't mean they have to scream, but people loved Tim and he was gravity. It's not a shock "something" is missing with him gone. He's an all time player & leader though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh ya . Forgot about Pop's grade. I would give him a B.

I thought he rode a few guys a little too long (Mills) when they were struggling, didn't go to some guys soon enough (Dedmon) but I like that he went really deep into the rotation really trying to find combinations that worked. He was engaged this game and I thought showed good fight himself and creativity.

He did a lot more good than bad.
    Thanks for investing the time and effort you put in to grade the team and post those grades. I agree with them for the most part, however I was barely aware that Kyle even played. Hard for me, personally, to give him the same grade as Simmons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for investing the time and effort you put in to grade the team and post those grades. I agree with them for the most part, however I was barely aware that Kyle even played. Hard for me, personally, to give him the same grade as Simmons.
    I definitely understand that. For me, you just have to know the grades aren't just about one's play but the expectations. Simmons clearly had a better game and bigger impact but I was judging based solely on that players minutes, expectations and performance to those expectations.

But I agree, Kyle very well could have been an "Incomplete".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades!

Consistency will be the goal with this team.

From Kawhi's horrible quarters to Kawhi's monster 4th quarters...Carmelo Sofdridge to LMAlpha... Patty 0-8, Patty hitting everything...Manu crazy TOs after crazy TOs, Manu being still 'the Maestro'...

If they just get on the same page at some point of the season...
    Lots of young guys/new faces. Simmons, Bertans and now Lapro all show continuing individual growth within the team structure. Consequently they will they should continue to see more floor time. Consistency will come with familiarity. Integrating quite a few new guys has come with a few bumps in the road, but probably more smoothly than we could reasonably expect. I expect the consistency to continue to improve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Decent grades, will not forward to friends and family.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Decent grades, will not forward to friends and family.
    Thanks for driving-thru!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for driving-thru!

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP is a short girl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I definitely understand that. For me, you just have to know the grades aren't just about one's play but the expectations. Simmons clearly had a better game and bigger impact but I was judging based solely on that players minutes, expectations and performance to those expectations.

But I agree, Kyle very well could have been an "Incomplete".
    I can see where you are coming from. At least you didn't grade Kyle poorly for general principles...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP is a short girl.
    You shoud have done the game grades for Spurs at Orlando tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He played really well... It was just 3 minutes but he got two shots in that time (when he would play before 20 minutes and only take one or two for example.. and one of them was a 3 that rimmed in and out, the other was a pretty jumpshot. He grabbed a contested board and made defensive plays. But he shared the court with bad Manu who was throwing the ball all over the place out of bounds, Mills on a bad night shooting blanks, and Lee in a forgettable night when Monroe got the best of him on both ends. Kyle individually played well. He could have played more IMO... but the unit he was with just didn't sync. Of those 9 points in the 2nd Q he had 2. Everyone was very much off.

If anything the guy that was graded too high was probably Ginobili. He came through to end the game but part of the reason the bench gave up momentum was Manu and Mills combining for very poor play in the first half and neither was in when the team got momentum back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He played really well... It was just 3 minutes but he got two shots in that time (when he would play before 20 minutes and only take one or two for example.. and one of them was a 3 that rimmed in and out, the other was a pretty jumpshot. He grabbed a contested board and made defensive plays. But he shared the court with bad Manu who was throwing the ball all over the place out of bounds, Mills on a bad night shooting blanks, and Lee in a forgettable night when Monroe got the best of him on both ends. Kyle individually played well. He could have played more IMO... but the unit he was with just didn't sync. Of those 9 points in the 2nd Q he had 2. Everyone was very much off.

If anything the guy that was graded too high was probably Ginobili. He came through to end the game but part of the reason the bench gave up momentum was Manu and Mills combining for very poor play in the first half and neither was in when the team got momentum back.
    Glad to hear it about Kyle. Frankly my attention was divided. Apparently Kyle was in when my attention was really split, and whenever I had the Spurs game on, during that brief stretch, I mostly caught the bad Manu and missing Mills show.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dedmon was ing awesome

Thread Information