Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very exciting game for the regular season, huh? MIL had been playing very well and for Spurs fans that don't get an opportunity to watch games outside of the Spurs, you can see why MIL is a team that people are excited about.

We got to see a lot of the reasons why so many people are high on the Greek Freak. MIL has a super long team and a lot of potential with Giannis Antetokounmpo playing the way he is.

Outside of a truly disasterous 2nd quarter spearheaded by a terrible stint by the bench unit, in particular Mills & Manu, the Spurs played a really solid game on both ends. They won 3 out of 4 quarters and if not for a massive free throw disparity (34-14 in favor of MIL) the game might not have been as close.

The Spurs shot very poorly from 3 but made some when they needed them and put up a tremendous effort on the glass against a really very strong rebounding team.

All-in-all it was a gutsy road win vs a streaking team and was one of the most fun regular season games you will see this year.

To the grades:

Aldridge: 18 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 0 TO & 50% FG - A

I was proud of LMA tonight. Not only was his scoring needed, but he showed that passion and desire on both ends of the floor. He had some struggles scoring in mini-stretches but ended up with a very solid 18 points including the go ahead basket for the win that was goal tended. I was most impressed with his defense highlighted by a world class job in the guts of the game against Giannis Antetokounmpo. He had some contested rebounds and just battled hard tonight. Star-level performance even if the numbers aren't eye-popping.

Kawhi: 21 points, 9 rebounds, 0 assists, 2 blocks, 2 turnovers & 41% FG - B-

In lately typical Kawhi fashion it was a tale of two halves. He really struggled in that first half but as he has shown before, he is able to mentally stabilize himself and make a huge impact when it matters. We saw a lot more of Kawhi defensive moments tonight that we normally do in addition to much needed rebounding. It was a tough shooting night weighted by a poor first half, but he had a 6-point burst in the fourth that really helped. Not a great night, but he definitely played a role (especially in the fourth quarter) in helping SA dig out of a big hole.

Pau Gasol: 15 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, 2 turnovers & 67% FG - C+

Pau definitely had moments where you saw his value today. His good stretch was sort of wasted by that terrible bench performance in the 2nd quarter, but he did more good than harm. He struggled on defense for the most part, but his rebounding and efficient scoring did help in moments. Because of the defensive issues and some really sour stretches I gave him the C+ grade.

Danny Green: 6 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 2 turnovers & 33% FG - D+

Danny is slumping right now. In 4 of his 5 last games he has single digit points and only 1 steal & 1 block in that time period. Danny, for any real Spurs fan, knows his value isn't tied to box score stats but SA really needs him to pick up his 3PT shooting again. He is still shooting %-wise well from there but overall shooting the past 5 games are so has been an issue. For this game, he missed some good looks, but so did everyone. He was not as attentive on defense but I would not say he was poor. But if you aren't hitting 3's and you aren't great on defense to make up for it, I personally want to see better.

Tony Parker: 6 points, 1 rebound, 5 assists, 2 turnovers & 37% FG - C-

Well, despite what most completely clueless people on ST think, we better hope that TP injury is not a big deal. For this game in particular I thought TP along with the starters overall had a really good first stint. Kawhi was struggling, but TP/LMA/Pau played with great energy and kept things moving offensively to get the team off to a good start. When things went off the rails because of the bench, TP never really recovered after that. The starters did some work in the early third to cut into the double digit halftime deficit but then TP got injured. Let's hope it's not a serious injury.

Patty Mills: 1 point, 1 rebound, 5 assists, 0% FG - F

Patty almost sank the Spurs. He was not only missing, but missing really, really bad. He didn't have his usual energy, but it was not an effort issue. But his really poor shooting with very little ability to defend this long Bucks team nearly cost the Spurs and really put them in a bad spot in the 2nd quarter. He has been great this year, but this was easily his worst game and let's hope it's a one-game outlier.

David Lee: 2 points, 2 rebounds, 100% FG - D

He didn't get much time and rightfully so. He was way out of place against the long athletes of MIL and was very damaging in that 2nd quarter along with Manu & Mills. Pop pulled the plug on Lee and it was definitley the right move. Just a tough match up for Lee and he definitely played with energy.

Manu Ginobili: 6 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 steals, 2 turnovers & 29% FG - B

This looked like it was headed for a horrific night from Manu. That 2nd quarter was a flat out nightmare. But Manu really turned it around when it mattered and competed so hard. He was defending, grabbing steals and hit some shots when SA needed them. It was truly great to see a game where he struggled get turned around especially when TP went down with injury. Props for a really hard fought game where he stayed tough.

Jonathon Simmons: 6 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover & 60% FG - B

What. A. Dunk. To me that play stands out so much from an excitement perspective. As for his overall game I thought it was damn solid. He not only had some nice passes, but his attention to detail on defense for most of the game was better than it has been. He actually stayed within the system defensively and outplayed Danny on both ends. One knock: for no reason he sometimes over passes especially when there are clear driving lanes. He did it today and it lead to a critical turnover and he's done it before. I like his passing and it's a huge reason why he's on the Spurs. But he has to be aggressive; the team needs it and it's when he's at his best.

Kyle Anderson: 2 points, 1 rebound & 50% FG - B

He didn't play very much so it's hard to grade, but honestly I thought he did well in his minutes. Of course he passed up a shot he should not have, but his one basket was very smooth, he had a nice rebound and overall thought he did a good job.

Davis Bertans: 1 point, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 1 turnover & 0% FG - B+

B stand for not being a b*tch. He played hard even though he missed shots, but his assist shows that he's a basketball player. When things got tough, it was Bertans who stood tall and stuck his neck out for his team. It energized the guys and was a great moment for the young, fearless player.

Nicolas Laprovittola: 3 points, 5 assists, 1 turnover & 33% FG - A

What a great job by Nicolas to come in and steady the ship. He really played confidently, displayed a really nice calm and it was not just the assist numbers but the crispness of his passes and excellent vision. Obviously that is not something he can do all the time, but in this moment that Argentinian blood paid dividends and he competed at a really, really high level. If TP misses time, let's hope this game gives Lap confidence to build on a very good performance.

Dewayne Dedmon: 10 points, 6 rebounds, 1 block, 1 turnover & 100% FG - A+

Spurs needed energy. Spurs needed toughness. Spurs needed points and activity. They got all of that from Dedmon. He stole the show again with his hustle, athleticism, activity and toughness. Spurs were fighting but he was the injection of energy that put SA over the top. Pop didn't want to go to him early, but he made the most of his time.

His ability to catch the ball looked great tonight and his hustle inspired his teammates. He had one play that stood out above all in my mind and it was his effort to save a ball from going out of bounds that resulted in Kawhi getting an amazing dunk. It was a perfect summation of SA's MVP tonight and he's been awesome as a Spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks DPG, solid grades!

What would you grade Pop?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a solid win, very enjoyable game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh ya . Forgot about Pop's grade. I would give him a B.

I thought he rode a few guys a little too long (Mills) when they were struggling, didn't go to some guys soon enough (Dedmon) but I like that he went really deep into the rotation really trying to find combinations that worked. He was engaged this game and I thought showed good fight himself and creativity.

He did a lot more good than bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades!

Consistency will be the goal with this team.

From Kawhi's horrible quarters to Kawhi's monster 4th quarters...Carmelo Sofdridge to LMAlpha... Patty 0-8, Patty hitting everything...Manu crazy TOs after crazy TOs, Manu being still 'the Maestro'...

If they just get on the same page at some point of the season...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude with the goods. Thanks

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good read... solid takes... agree with the grades...

One thing I noticed was Pop clapping at the end of the game... he rarely does this, and just shows how emotionally invested the team got when the going got tough...

He was truly proud of their effort...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades!

Consistency will be the goal with this team.

From Kawhi's horrible quarters to Kawhi's monster 4th quarters...Carmelo Sofdridge to LMAlpha... Patty 0-8, Patty hitting everything...Manu crazy TOs after crazy TOs, Manu being still 'the Maestro'...

If they just get on the same page at some point of the season...
    Agreed - but even though I really spearheaded the "be calm and patient" movement it's really hard to do . It's still early and plenty of new guys learning what is going on. It's not too shocking that we are seeing the volatility and we still have a ways to go. Luckily, the team has talent and you're right; when it clicks it should be beautiful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the write-up, no complaints on anything.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great grades, great game bring on the Timberpups!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great write-up. Damned good set of grades.

Seems like Kawhi has had several of those games lately, where you don't know whether to give him a D for the first part of the game, or an A for the last part of the game. B- seems like a pretty good composite.

The last few games we've seen what I was saying about Lee when they signed him. He's just giving up too much height. In the right situations, he's a really good player. But against the kinds of teams the Spurs are likely to be facing in the playoffs, he's going to struggle a lot. I like the guy - always have. But I really, really wish he was 3 inches taller.

I thought Manu had a of a game, TBH. He came up with some great defensive plays, and wound up with 4 steals and really helped keep the Bucks from putting the nails in the coffin. His defense on that last play probably kept them from getting a much easier 2 points, and likely winning that game by 1 point. He just needs to start getting some shots to fall.

The Spurs had 9 points in the 2nd quarter. 9 freaking points. That deserves a team grade all its own, but we don't really have anything lower than F, so why bother?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks DPG, solid grades!

What would you grade Pop?
    Actually, though the 2nd Q was tough to watch, I'd give him an A- overall. He rode the guys that got the momentum going in the 3rd Q, although I thought Nico should have closed the game, not Mills since Mills went 0-8 overall and struggled. It just wasn't his night. He benched Danny for Simmons at a time when Danny was not on top of his game (and Simmons had played really well in the 3rd Q). He went away from Manu at a time when bad Manu showed up. Pop was lucky he found a winning combination with Nico and Dedmon connecting for some oops together and the energetic group he put together (Bertans was part of it too) found both the defense and offensive connection to crawl back into the game.

Pop is managing the tough task of playing everyone this early in the season, which means rotations to us fans are going to seem out of whack... but I think he's doing the right thing. He has to develop a real bench. Guys need to play with each other to get to know each other. He can't stay with strictly 10 guys bc the guys at the end of the rotation are very young too, some are rookies and need to play to develop chemistry and confidence, so they can really help Pop win games when he needs them, so it was nice to see Pop juggle that in real minutes and for Nico to come through.
    -------------------
    By the way, thanks for the grades DPG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great grades. No disagreements at all. Do more plox

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree on all the grades too. Thanks, DPG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades! Great job!

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Danny Green: 6 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 2 turnovers & 33% FG - D+

Danny is slumping right now. In 4 of his 5 last games he has single digit points and only 1 steal & 1 block in that time period. Danny, for any real Spurs fan, knows his value isn't tied to box score stats but SA really needs him to pick up his 3PT shooting again. He is still shooting %-wise well from there but overall shooting the past 5 games are so has been an issue. For this game, he missed some good looks, but so did everyone. He was not as attentive on defense but I would not say he was poor. But if you aren't hitting 3's and you aren't great on defense to make up for it, I personally want to see better.
    Leaving Teletovic wide open in the corner for a game winning three point attempt. That'll go down as a good defensive stand to end the game but it was actually some more awful defense from a dude that has zero court awareness. He's virtually unplayable at times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades!, good writeup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice grades

Mabuhay (Long live)!!!

And for those who are saying that Lamarcus is not giving his maximum effort. LOOK AT THIS GAME!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has become a regular occurence. Gasol and Aldridge stink it up in the first half on defense. The 2nd half Dedmond gets in there and helps lead a comeback with his interior defense and we win the game. At some point in the season, Gasol has to go to come off the bench. He just has to

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice write up DPG. Lapro had a damn solid game. His talent is limited, but his heart and IQ are elite. When the ball is in his hands, he creates and finds the open man better than most on the team.

Dedmon needs more time.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 12-06-2016 at 07:43 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    F'ing horrible grades. Don't ever do another game gr.... meh..just kidding. Very nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for this, I wasn't able to watch the game. Can anyone tell me what Bertans did that "energized the guys and was a great moment"?

EDIT: nvm, I found it.
    Last edited by -21-; 12-06-2016 at 09:10 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice write up DPG. Lapro had a damn solid game. His talent is limited, but his heart and IQ are elite. When the ball is in his hands, he creates and finds the open man better than most on the team.

Dedmon needs more time.

I watched Lap play before he came to the Spurs. I think he has more talent than you're giving him credit for, and a load of toughness. Once he's had a full year in the NBA, and some playoff seasoning - plus another summer league and preseason - I think he'll easily be a solid backup. I don't know if he's got more than that in him, but a solid backup PG is nothing to sneeze at.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks DPG tbh !

Thread Information